Beyblade Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Adventures of a Blader (how original!) ❯ Chapter 33

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 33
 
 
That night, Serena logged onto the computer. An IM from Hilary immediately popped up.
 
Goody2Shoe: Hey Serena, I had a question.
 
Bladergrl: What is it?
 
Goody2Shoe: Mr. Granger and I were wondering if you'd let the BladeBreakers take a break from practice tomorrow for a barbeque.
 
Bladergrl: Why are you asking me?
 
Goody2Shoe: Well, you are their coach.
 
Bladergrl: I heard that you coached them while I was in the hospital. How would you like to be assistant coach if I can't make it to practices?
 
Goody2Shoe: Really? Thank you so much. So, is it all right to hold the barbeque?
 
Bladergrl: Sure. I'll see you tomorrow.
 
Both girls logged off.
 
“Hey Max!” called Serena.
 
Max stuck his head into the room. “Yeah?”
 
“How would you like to go to a barbeque tomorrow?”
 
“What about practice?”
 
“Cancelled.”
 
“Cool! I'll call the others.” Max ran out.
 
The next day, Serena said goodbye to Yugi and Ms. Smith.
 
“Sorry we didn't get much of a chance to talk Yugi.”
 
“It's all right. You were busy; but hey, maybe sometime this summer you can come over to Domino.”
 
Serena smiled. “I'd like that.”
 
Yugi got into Ms. Smith's car, leaving Serena and Ms. Smith alone. It was silent for a little bit, then they started apologizing at the same time.
 
“I shouldn't have said you were like-”
 
“I shouldn't have snapped at you. I guess he and I are similar in some ways.”
 
“You both are stubborn, but you are better than he is.”
 
Serena hugged Ms. Smith. “Thanks.”
 
“Take care of yourself.”
 
“You too.”
 
Ms. Smith stepped into the car. Serena waved as it drove off. Once the car disappeared, Serena headed to the river, where the barbeque was going to take place. Serena was the last one to arrive. Mr. Granger was cooking food while everyone else just lazed about. Everyone seemed happy about not having to practice. It wasn't long before Mr. Granger placed the food on the table.
 
“Come and get it my homies!”
 
Tyson and Max ran to the table and started stuffing their faces. Serena and Hilary walked up behind the two and smacked them upside their heads.
 
“Ow!” cried Max.
 
“What's you do that for” asked Tyson, rubbing his head.
 
“Save some for the others. We need to eat too!” said Serena.
 
“Or you'll run laps.”
 
“You can't make us run laps Hilary!”
 
“Yes I can! Serena says I can help with practice!”
 
“We don't need your help!”
 
Tyson and Hilary started arguing with each other. The others were inching away when a piercing cry reached their ears.
 
“HELP! Dudes, HELP!”
 
“The fighting and the inching stopped as everyone looked to the river. They saw Mr. Granger being pulled along the river by a big fish. The fishing pole was jerked out of his hands; and he fell into the water, which started pushing him along at a fast pace.
 
“How will we get him out? There's nothing for him to grab!” said Hilary.
 
“HELP!”
 
“What can we do?” asked Max.
 
“Well, for starters, we cannot panic,” said Serena.
 
“Not panic? NOT PANIC?! I'm way past panicking! My grandfather is in rushing water-”
 
Kenny interrupted Tyson. “And about to be crushed against those rocks.”
 
Serena smacked herself in the face. “That's sure to make them start panicking.”
 
“Goki! Put that log against those rocks when I say so!”
 
A muscular boy with dark brown hair raced past the group of friends, carrying a log that had been used as a seat. He stood on a rock that would soon be in Mr. Granger's way, holding the log high.
 
“NOW!”
 
Down the log went, damming up the water. Mr. Granger collided with the log and held on. The boy reached down and pulled Mr. Granger out. Everyone ran over to where the boy and Mr. Granger were on the bank.
 
“Gramps! Are you okay?” asked Tyson.
 
Mr. Granger coughed up water and the teenagers gave a sigh of relief.
 
“Oh good, he's all right.” Up walked three people about the BladeBreaker's age. One of them, a boy with blue hair, laughed. “It's a good thing we were passing by. I'm Kane.”
 
Introductions were made. Besides Kane and Goki, the muscular boy, there was Salima, a redhead, and Jim, a blonde who was the one they heard earlier.
 
“So, what are you doing in Tokyo?” asked Ray.
 
“We're going to see someone about being a real professional blading team,” said Kane.
 
“Then we'll be rivals in the future. How about a match right now?” asked Tyson.
 
Kane smiled. “Against the World Champion? Sure.”
 
Jim went and stood by Serena. “So, do you blade pretty thing?”
 
Serena bristled. How dare he call me that!
 
Jim put his arm around Serena's waist. A few moments later, Jim had his face in the mud with his arm twisted behind his back. Serena knelt on his back and, leaning down, whispered something in his ear. Soon, she got up and walked away from Jim.
 
The others were watching the match between Tyson and Kane. The two bladders were evenly matched and seemed to be enjoying the battle. Eventually, the two blades stopped spinning at the same time. Grinning, the two bladders shook hands.
 
“Good match.”
 
Kane nodded. “Very good match.
 
Salima looked at her watch. “Hey Kane, we better get going if we want to make the appointment.”
 
“Maybe we'll see you guys around,” said Max.
 
Handshakes were exchanged. Serena glared at Jim, who was approaching her. Jim backed off and hurried after his teammates.
 
“What's wrong with him?” asked Ray.
 
Serena shrugged. “Don't know.”
 
For the rest of the day, the group enjoyed the barbeque. That is, all but Serena. She had a very bad feeling about Kane's gang. She knew she had felt this feeling before, but she couldn't remember where.