Beyblade Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Adventures of a Blader (how original!) ❯ Chapter 37

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 37
 
 
“We're what?!”
 
“Going to America. Mom's invited us and the others. She has something to show us,” answered Max.
 
“When does the plane leave?”
 
“Monday morning.”
 
It was Saturday night and Max was telling Serena what their father had told him.
 
“I shouldn't go. I don't even know her.”
 
“This would be the perfect time for you to meet her though. It would be good for the both of you. Besides, you said that you were our coach so you had the right to be with us,” said Max with a sly grin.
 
Serena sighed. Trapped by my own words.
 
“We need to be at the airport by seven in the morning, so be ready. I believe you get up before seven anyway, right?”
 
“I'll be ready,” promised Serena.
 
Monday morning, Serena was at the park as usual. Kai was already there by the time Serena was.
 
“Are you ready?”
 
Serena took a sip of the coffee she bought. “Ready for what?”
 
“You know what.”
 
“To meet my mom? I don't know. Before I found out I was `adopted' Aunt May had been my mother. Now I find out my real mom works at a blading facility in America. I don't know if I am ready.”
 
“I think you are. You have friends to support you also.”
 
Serena smiled. “Thanks Kai.” Making progress in our relationship finally.
 
Kai didn't say anything. He just walked away. Serena walked back home. She had a few things left to pack. At 5:30, the BBA bus pulled up in front of the house. Max and Serena climbed on and saw the others looking very tired. Max sat next to Ray and Serena sat next to Hilary.
 
“How can you be so awake Serena?” asked Tyson yawning.
 
“Coffee.”
 
The next stop was Kai's mansion. Kai was waiting outside.
 
“He lives here?” asked Hilary in awe.
 
“It was an inheritance,” said Serena.
 
“He needs to get rid of it,” said Tyson.
 
Kai climbed on the bus and sat by himself in the back. Now the bus was headed to the airport. Traffic was slow, so it took longer than expected. The group barely made it to the gate as it was; and it didn't help that Tyson wanted to get breakfast. All through the flight, Tyson was complaining on how hungry he was. Not even the snacks on the plane helped. After a long flight, the group of teens walked into the airport in New York.
 
“Max! Over here!” called a voice.
 
Everyone turned and saw a lady with blonde hair wearing a white lab coat.
 
“Mom!” Max ran over as everyone else walked. Serena hid in the back.
 
“Hello Ms. Judy. How are you?” asked Kenny.
 
“Very good Kenny, thank you.”
 
“Mom, I want you to meet a couple of people. This is-”
 
“Hello. I'm Hilary. It is very nice to meet you.”
 
“It is nice to meet you too. Do you blade?” asked Ms. Judy.
 
“No. I'm just their assistant coach.”
 
“Oh? If you are the assistant coach, then who is the coach?”
 
Serena sighed. It was time. She moved to the front of the group. “I am.”
 
Max stood by Serena. “Mom, I'd like you to meet Serena.”
 
Their mom stared at the both of them, then embraced Serena. Serena stood there feeling awkward. Sure it was her mom, but she could at least had given Serena more time to get used to her before hugging her.
 
“I'm so glad to finally see you.” Ms. Judy turned to the others. “Come. Let's get your bags. I have something to show you.”
 
The group headed to the baggage claim. Along the way, Ms. Judy tried to talk to Serena. All Ms. Judy could get out of Serena was that was the Serena had been at Biovolt. After that, Serena had gone ahead to the baggage claim. Serena could only imagine what her friends were telling her mom.
 
It was quite easy to get the bags. Professional blading teams were issued team bags. Hilary's bag was the only bag with school spirit items on it. The last bag Serena grabbed before the others joined was her own. Once the bags were claimed, the teens followed Ms. Judy outside to a bus. They put their bags in the compartment and climbed on. Serena chose a seat in the back, as did Kai. The others sat up front.
 
“So what do you want to show us Mom?” asked Max.
 
“I won't tell you much, but it had something to do with bitbeasts.”
 
Serena blocked out all other conversation. She didn't feel like talking. The bus first pulled up in front of the hotel the teens were staying at. Once the belongings were in the rooms, the group headed onto the bus again. Tyson immediately started complaining on how hungry he was.
 
“Don't worry Tyson. I warned every restaurant in town that you were coming,” said Ms. Judy.
 
“What's that supposed to mean?” demanded Tyson as everyone laughed.
 
The bus pulled up before a fancy restaurant, where they were immediately escorted to a table. It was lucky the BBA was paying for everything, as Tyson had ordered everything on the menu. Serena looked at Tyson in disgust as he ate all that was placed in front of him. She picked at her salad.
 
“Serena, I hear from the others that you are a strong blader,” said Ms. Judy.
 
“Yeah. So?” Serena didn't look up from her salad.
 
“There is a small tournament tomorrow. Why don't you enter?”
 
“No thanks. I don't want the publicity if I win.”
 
“If? More like when,” muttered Tyson.
 
If Serena entered the tournament and won, she would be interviewed. People would ask if she was stronger than Tyson; and Boris would find out where Serena was. All those years off moving around would be for nothing.
 
Silence followed until Max started telling Ms. Judy about what had been going on. Serena tuned him out.
 
[Try talking to Mom. She is only trying to get to know you.]
 
/I shouldn't have come./
 
[Stop that. You need to be here. You need to move forward in life, not dwell in the past.]
 
As soon as everyone was done eating; and as soon as they could drag Tyson from the desserts, the group once again got onto the bus. Their destination this time was the lab where Ms. Judy worked. As they neared the lab, Kenny got more excited. Once, Serena saw Max looking sad, but that passed. Serena had heard of the BladeBreakers' last visit here and how max found out what Ms. Judy really did. Inside the building Ms. Judy worked in, the group went into an elevator traveling to an upper level. The elevator doors opened to show a big room with many computers. At one point, the floor dropped to make room for a beystadium. The object that caught everyone's attention was a table in the middle of the room with lasers around it. The group crowded around the table.
 
“Our scientists here recently found this rock. The writing revealed many interesting things.”
 
Kenny looked at Ms. Judy. “What did it tell you?”
 
“We found out that there are many rocks like this one. Each rock holds countless ancient creatures. These creatures are today called bitbeasts.”
 
“Have you been able to take one out Ms. Judy?” asked Hilary.
 
“Unfortunately, we don't have the technology for that; but we have used bits of this rock in testing blades.”
 
“Why?” asked Ray.
 
Kai spoke up. “If the bitbeast it holds is strong, the rock itself must be powerful.”
 
Ms. Judy nodded. “We have a demonstration for you.”
 
Someone had come into the room unnoticed and now was at the stadium. The person was wearing a helmet with built in sunglasses. Ms. Judy passed out sunglasses, but was one short. To cheer Kenny up, who hadn't received the glasses, Serena handed him hers as she turned back to the rock. A portion of it seemed to grab her attention.
 
What does it mean? I can't read it, but I'm drawn to that portion.
 
{Then see it through my eyes.
 
/You can read it?/
 
{It is in the ancient language. Most bitbeasts have forgotten it.}
 
/You have your own language?/
 
{No. The people of old wrote in this language and we adopted it. Now, look at it through my eyes.}
 
/How do I do-/
 
Suddenly, the writing made sense. Serena read it with her new `eyes'. Out of a pair, a daughter of two humans who have something to do with the beasts of old, will one day get the strongest beast ever. She shall have great power and will have had hard times. So it be written, so it will be, so says the seer of old.
 
Someone shook Serena. A faint voice called to her. Serena looked away from the rock a blinked. Her eyes returned to normal.
 
Max had a hand on her shoulder. “You okay?”
 
“Yeah. Why?”
 
“You were staring at the rock and not moving, as if in a trance.”
 
“More importantly, you were staring at the only part of the rock we have yet to decipher.” Ms. Judy looked expectantly at Serena.
 
“Oh. I was just imagining what kinds of creatures could still be in the rock.” Serena looked around and saw a boy about Max's height with brown hair. “Who's he?”
 
“Oh, this is Alan, and old friend of mine. “Alan, meet my sister Serena.” [I can tell you're lying again.]
 
/Am not./
 
[Yes you are.]
 
Ms. Judy continued to look at Serena. “Why don't you all go look around New York.”
 
The teens started to file out, Serena with them; but Ms. Judy called Serena back.
 
“Serena, why don't you want to talk to me?”
 
Serena turned to face her mom.
 
“Why all this secrecy?”
 
“I want to forget my past. If everyone keeps asking me about it, how can I forget?”
 
“How bad did it get?”
 
Serena clenched her right hand, but didn't answer.
 
Ms. Judy sighed. “Fine, but tell me the this. Did you read anything on the rock?”
 
Serena looked at it. /What should I do?/
 
{Hey, she's your mother.}
 
/Thanks a lot./
 
“Serena?”
 
Serena looked at Ms. Judy and sighed. “When you decipher that last bit, it'll tell you why I was abducted as a baby.”
 
“You won't tell me?”
 
Serena shook her head. “Right now, I'm the only one who needs to know. All will be revealed when the time is right.” Serena walked out of the room, heading to the hotel.