Beyblade Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Adventures of a Blader (how original!) ❯ Chapter 41

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own BeyBlade or Yugioh. I own: Serena, Nicole, Antonio, SnowLeopard, Dragonia, and anything else that is not BeyBlade or Yugioh. Kelsey, Angie, and Joe own themselves. Yamura belongs to Laura. Austin belongs to Austin, though in name and looks only. Everything else about him I made up.
 
Telepathy
/Serena/
//Kai//
[Max]
::blah:: or {blah}- bitbeast
 
Thoughts or songs- in italics
Flashbacks- in bolded italics
Talking in Russian -bolded
 
 
 
 
Chapter 41
 
 
Serena woke up at her usual time. She thought about leaving the house, then decided against it. There were too many people in the house for no one not to notice her absence. She turned on the television, but nothing was on; and none of her friends would be awake. Serena had walked down the hall to the bathroom once and noticed that the guest room door was open and that Ms. Judy was gone.
 
Where did she go?
 
Finally, after many boring hours, it was time to go to school. After school, it was off to Tyson's house. Along the way, a boy with bluish-green hair came running up.
 
“Hi Tyson.”
 
Everyone looked at him.
 
“Oh. Hi Zeo.”
 
“Who?” asked Hilary.
 
“This is Zeo. He helped me at a match yesterday,” explained Tyson.
 
“Yeah. There were these four cloaked figures all ganging up on him,” said Zeo.
 
The others looked at each other. They knew the four cloaked figures had to be the Saint Shields. Tyson then introduced everyone else and Zeo shook their hands. Serena got the same feeling from Zeo that she seemed to be getting a lot lately: the feeling of betrayal.
 
“Hey guys, I…uh…have to go home. I've got some things to do.” Serena ran away without a word. I can't tell them what I felt. These feelings are like a prophecy. I know it will happen eventually.
 
When Max came home, he demanded to know what was going on.
 
“Nothing. I just had something else to do.”
 
“That's bull. Something is going on. If you had something to do, you would have done it later.”
 
Serena's response was to remain silent. Max sighed. “While you were `doing something', Ray fought a battle against a boy with a powerful blade. Ray won luckily, but do you see why we need your help? Zagart has been able to take pieces of the rock to put into blades. Pretty soon, he might be able to take the bitbeasts out!”
 
“Was Zagart Mr. Dickenson's partner who disappeared?”
 
Max nodded. “And Tyson's so upset about what has been happening recently that he wants Kenny to make a wacked blade.”
 
“Idiot.” Serena looked at the clock. “Well, we better get some rest.”
 
Ms. Judy was at the house the next morning but wouldn't say where she had been. As the BladeBreakers walked to school, Tyson brought up the subject of Zeo.
 
“Should we invite him to train with us?”
 
“Why should we?” asked Max.
 
“Tyson just wants one of his friends around him,” said Serena.
 
Tyson looked at Serena angrily. “Just because you don't like him doesn't mean you have to-”
 
“Whatever Tyson. I'm just saying, isn't it a little strange that this kid who you don't know all of a sudden shows up while all of these different groups are trying to take your bitbeasts?” Serena looked at Tyson straight in the eye.
 
“Are you saying Zeo is a spy?” asked Kenny.
 
“No. I just-never mind.”
 
“No. What were you going to say?” demanded Tyson.
 
Serena ignored him and walked away. The BladeBreakers tried to catch up to her; but Serena was with her American friends, planning what they might do before the trio had to go back to America. On the way home from school, Serena was once again walking with Kelsey, Angie, and Joe.
 
I'm not trying to avoid the BladeBreakers. I just want to be with my American friends. Serena answered her cell phone as it vibrated and rang. “Hello?”
 
“Mr. Dickenson's. Now,” came Max's voice.
 
“Why?”
 
But Max had hung up, leaving Serena worried. Something bad must have happened because Max had never talked to her that way before.
 
“What's wrong?” asked Joe.
 
“I don't know; but I have to go. I'll see you all tomorrow.” Serena waved goodbye and ran away. It took awhile for Serena to reach the BBA headquarters, as she had to run there after missing the bus; and she didn't have enough money for a cab. Needless to say, Serena had to take a few deep breaths before entering Mr. Dickenson's office.
 
“What's going on?”
 
“Ah Serena. So good of you to join us. Now we can begin,” said Mr. Dickenson.
 
“Begin what?”
 
“Please, sit down.” Mr. Dickenson motioned to the chair besides his, which was in the middle of the room.
 
“I'd rather stand.”
 
“Sit,” commanded Ms. Judy.
 
I'm not a dog. Serena crossed the room to the chair and sat. What is going on? And is it just me, or is every giving me the evil eye?
 
“I was just about to tell them about the writing I deciphered on the rock,” said Mr. Dickenson.
 
Uh-oh. Not good. “So…what have you told them?”
 
“Nothing.”
 
Then they're not looking at me angrily.
 
“You are.”
 
Serena stared at Mr. Dickenson in surprise. “M-m-me?”
 
“I've been told that you had read the portion of the rock I deciphered. So if you would be so kind as to tell them.”
 
Why is Mr. Dickenson doing this to me? He usually is a nice guy. Serena looked at the floor and said nothing. A few moments passed and then-
 
“I will then.” Serena sensed Mr. Dickenson looking at her. She heard him start speaking and she tried to tune him out. It wasn't working. “There was a prophecy on the rock. One, it appears, that concerns Serena.” More eyes bore into Serena. She didn't look up. She didn't want to see the looks on their faces.
 
“Out of a pair, a daughter of two humans who have something to do with the beasts of old, will one day get the strongest beast ever. She shall have great power and will have had hard times. So it be written, so it shall be, so says the seer of old.”
 
Serena wanted to get up, but her body seemed to have shut down. Her legs would not move and her hands didn't relax their grip on the arms of the chair. It was so silent, one could hear a pin drop. Someone got up and walked towards Serena, who was still looking at the floor. Hands grabbed the front of Serena's shirt and pulled her up, breaking her grasp on the chair.
 
“You knew! That's what you were hiding!” said Tyson angrily.
 
Serena looked at Tyson with fear in her eyes. The room changed. Serena was nine years old again. Tyson turned into Tala Valcov. The others, except Kai, turned into boys cheering on Tala. Serena started pleading in Russian.
 
“No. Please, don't. Valcov, please, no!”
 
`Tala' looked surprised and let go. Serena fell to the floor sobbing.
 
“She called me by Tala's last name.” `Tala' bent down and put his hand on Serena's shoulder. Serena flinched. `Tala' got up and looked at the others. “Why?”
 
“You grabbed her the same way Tala did when he was beating her up. She's remembering that,” said Kai.
 
“But…wouldn't she fight back?” asked one of the `boys' in the crowd.
 
“Not until she learned self-defense. Those words in Russian, she was pleading with `Tala' not to beat her up. She stopped pleading after the first month or so; so she must be remembering when she first entered Biovolt.”
 
“How often was she beat up?” asked `Tala'.
 
“Anytime Tala felt like it. She never knew when, unless she pulled a prank on him.”
 
`Tala' knelt next to Serena. “I'm sorry Serena.”
 
Something's wrong. This wasn't how it usually went. Valcov never apologized. And that's not his voice. It's Tyson's. Serena rubbed the back of her hand across her eyes. The scene went back to the present time. She glared at Kai. “You shouldn't have told them that! They had no right to know!”
 
Kai ignored her.
 
“Why are you still talking in Russian Serena?” asked Max.
 
Serena didn't answer. Tyson held out a hand. “Sorry.”
 
Serena took the offered hand and Tyson pulled her up off the floor. “It's all right,” she said quietly.
 
“No it's not. I shouldn't have lost my temper. It's just, you wouldn't even tell us that you read the prophecy.”
 
“How did you read the prophecy?” asked Ms. Judy.
 
“Yes. How did you? It took my computers many hours to translate the writing,” said Mr. Dickenson.
 
Serena sat back down in her chair as Tyson went to his. “I had help from my bitbeast.” She really hadn't wanted to tell who had helped.
 
The others stared at her in surprise.
 
“You can talk to your bitbeast at anytime?” asked Ray.
 
Serena nodded.
 
“Unbelievable,” said Kenny.
 
“No. Actually, it makes sense.”
 
Everyone looked at Max.
 
“How so?” asked Tyson.
 
“Well, in the lab, when I shook Serena, I noticed that her eyes weren't blue, but red like her bitbeast's.”
 
“So, it was because of the prophecy that you were at Biovolt?” asked Tyson.
 
Serena nodded. She didn't want to speak for fear of crying. Tears were already forming in her eyes. There was a long silence as Serena composed herself. Finally she spoke. “Yes. If it weren't for that, I night have had a better life.”
 
“What was your life like at Biovolt?” asked Hilary.
 
A longer silence. Serena heard voices in her head, voices from the past.
 
“You're nothing and you'll never be anything.”
 
“No one's ever going to be friends with a loser like you.”
 
“I can never trust anyone.”
 
“I wish you'd trust us. We just want to help.”
 
Serena took a deep breath and began. “My life was miserable at Biovolt. I had no friends, no one to help me. I was the only girl among many boys. I was picked on all of the time, beat up most of the time like Kai told you,” she glared at said person at this, “and whatever else bullies do. The only thing that brightened my day was the pranks I pulled. No one cared about me. Those that ran Biovolt wouldn't do a thing to help me. They figured it would toughen me up.”
 
“Did anything else happen to you? If the authorities get enough evidence, Biovolt will be shut down for good,” said Mr. Dickenson.
 
“Wasn't Biovolt shut down when Voltaire was arrested?” asked Ray.
 
“Boris is still out there,” said Kai.
 
“Kai's right. Boris is claiming he knew nothing of what Voltaire had planned. We had no proof of his involvement, so we had to let him go,” said Mr. Dickenson.
 
“So Boris will continue to run Biovolt?” asked Tyson.
 
“Yes,” said Ms. Judy sadly.
 
Serena's death grip returned to the arms of the chair. He must be stopped. He must! He'll continue his project. He'll be looking for me.
 
Tyson stood up. “We need to go practice. We've got too many teams coming after us.”
 
“Go ahead. We've held you up long enough,” said Ms. Judy.
 
Serena stood up, fists clenched, following her friends.
 
“Serena.”
 
She turned to look at Mr. Dickenson.
 
“If you have any information that can shut down Biovolt for good, you need to let us know.”
 
Serena nodded and left, unclenching her fists. She met the BladeBreakers outside the building.
 
“So what are our drills today Coach?” asked Max.
 
“I'm sorry. I promised Joe, Angie, and Kelsey that I'd meet them at the arcade. They have to leave for America in a few days.” Her friends started to protest. Serena held up her hands. “I won't be gone long.”
 
“But-”
 
Serena was already walking down the street. She met up with the American Trio at the arcade. After spending most of their money at the arcade, the four friends grabbed food at a nearby fast food joint. Finally, it was time for them to part ways.
 
“Have a safe trip back to America,” said Serena.
 
Kelsey hugged Serena. “Have fun in Tokyo. If you see Yugi, tell him I said hi.”
 
“Will do.”
 
“Don't get into trouble,” said Angie.
 
“And Dude, keep your temper in check. I swear, I thought we would have been kicked out of that fast food place,” said Joe.
 
Serena laughed. “If the guy had given me my order correctly…”
 
They four friends exchanged addresses of every kind before splitting up. On the way to Tyson's, Serena quickly stopped by the grocery store and picked up some canned drinks. The old soda bottles were so dented, they couldn't be used anymore. As Serena was walking through town, a boy about her age came up and stole the sodas.
 
“Stop! Thief! Come back here!” Serena chased after him. She had used the rest of her money to buy those sodas and the team desperately needed new obstacles. Serena saw the thief run down an alley. Why is it always an alley? Serena slowed down and walked into the alley. She saw the thief at the other end, laughing. Serena walked farther into the alley, senses alert.
 
“I can't believe ya fell fer it!” said the thief.
 
“Just give me my sodas back and you…what do you mean I fell for it?”
 
“I lured ya `ere so dat-”
 
“I can talk to you,” said a voice behind Serena.
 
Serena turned around and saw a lady with long black hair, sunglasses, and a white lab coat.
 
“Why do you want to talk to me? I have nothing you want.”
 
“That is where you are wrong Serena. You have something I-or at least- my boss wants.”
 
“You work for the PsyKicks! Are you here to take my bitbeast?” Serena looked briefly over her shoulder at the boy, then back at the lady.
 
“Naw. You're bitbeast is too strong. Besides, we don't even know da name.”
 
The lady made an exasperated noise. “Danny, I told you to stay quiet.”
 
“Sorry Dr. K.”
 
Serena hid a smile. The thief wasn't that smart. “If you aren't here to take my bitbeast, give me my sodas back and let me leave. I have to meet my friends.”
 
“Not yet. I'm here to invite you to join the PsyKicks.”
 
Serena's eyes flashed. “You've got some nerve asking me that. You think I would join a team that wants to capture my friends' bitbeasts? You even harmed one of my friends!”
 
“Unintentionally of course. But think about this. You are new to them and you are just their coach. What makes you think that they won't let you go when they are done with you?”
 
“They wouldn't do that! They trust me,” said Serena.
 
“Do they? Do they really? Think about it. We'll be talking again.”
 
Danny pushed the sodas into Serena's hands, following Dr. K out of the alley.
 
Do my friends really trust me? That seed of doubt stayed in Serena's mind as she headed to Tyson's.