Beyblade Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Adventures of a Blader (how original!) ❯ Chapter 45

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own BeyBlade or Yugioh. I own: Serena, Nicole, Antonio, SnowLeopard, Dragonia, and anything else that is not BeyBlade or Yugioh. Kelsey, Angie, and Joe own themselves. Yamura belongs to Laura. Austin belongs to Austin, though in name and looks only. Everything else about him I made up.
 
Telepathy
/Serena/
//Kai//
[Max]
::blah:: or {blah}- bitbeast
 
Thoughts or songs- in italics
Flashbacks- in bolded italics
Talking in Russian -bolded
 
 
Chapter 45
 
 
It was now the day of the preliminaries. The BladeBreakers made sure to stand where Zeo could see them. They cheered when Zeo came up. That is, all but Serena. Depending on how the match went, Zeo may or may not be able to face the BladeBreakers during the World Championships. Zeo won though.
 
How unfortunate. Now Zeo will be able to face the BladeBreakers.
 
Everyone followed Tyson to the room where the bladers got ready for their matches.
 
“Great match Zeo,” said Max.
 
“I'm impressed,” said Tyson.
 
Zeo looked down, blushing a little.
 
“T-thanks.”
 
“How would you like to be my training partner?” asked Tyson.
 
“Really? Wow! That'd be great!” Zeo looked at Serena. “W-would that be all right with you?”
 
“Sure. Tyson can help get you ready for the Championships.”
 
“Thank you so much Serena!”
 
Serena nodded.
 
“Let's go practice Zeo. The World Championships is in three days,” said Tyson.
 
“Why don't we go celebrate? No Zeo is able to be with us in the tournament,” said Ray.
 
“ICE CREAM!” Max ran out the door.
 
“Max!”
 
Max came racing back in.
 
“We haven't even said where we would celebrate,” said Serena.
 
“Ice cream sounds fine,” said Kenny.
 
The others agreed and Max stuck his tongue out at Serena, and then raced out the door. After ice cream, practice was held at the park.
 
“You'd think, Serena, that if you didn't want anyone to see how strong you are, you wouldn't hold practice at a public place,” said Kenny.
 
Serena growled at him, but didn't say anything. Zeo was first to leave practice.
 
“I have a violin practice tonight, so I need to head home.”
 
“We'll see you at practice tomorrow Zeo,” said Max.
 
“Don't be late!” Once Zeo was out of sight, Tyson turned to Serena. “Looks like you finally trust him. You do trust him, don't you?”
 
“Of course I do,” lied Serena. If she said the truth, then Tyson would get mad all over again, so what was the point?
 
Even though Zeo was the first to leave, everyone had thought about heading home. Serena looked back at the way Zeo went.
 
I know that Zeo will leave us to become our enemy; but the BladeBreakers don't know that. For now, let the BladeBreakers believe that I was mistaken that Zeo was a spy. They'll find out soon enough that I'm right.
 
In the morning, Serena woke Max up; and then headed to the kitchen to make breakfast.
 
/It's going to be soon./
 
{I know. I can feel it too.}
 
/Why would Zeo want to betray his hero?/
 
{No one knows why others do what they do.}
 
/It just doesn't seem right./
 
A beeping sound interrupted the conversation. Serena smelt smoke and gave a cry. Her eggs were burning. Forgetting a hot pad, Serena picked up the hot pan with her bare hands. Once the pain set in, Serena dropped the pan on the ground, spilling eggs everywhere.
 
“Serena, are you all right? I heard a-” Max stopped as he saw Serena holding her hands under cold water.
 
“I'm fine. I just burned the eggs.”
 
“Like any other time you try to cook.”
 
“Hey! I am not that bad a cook!”
 
“Are too!”
 
“Am not!”
 
“Are too!”
 
“Am not!”
 
“Are too!”
 
“Am-” Serena smiled. “You know, we sound like little kids.”
 
Max laughed. “We're just making up for all the years we missed. Now, clean up the mess. We'll just have to have cereal…again.”
 
Serena stuck her tongue out at Max. All right, so he was right. The last several times she tried to make breakfast, she had burned the food.
 
“So all we are doing is practicing?” asked Max between bits of sugared cereal.
 
“Yes, the World Championships is in two days; but I have some fun planned during breaks.” Serena got up and rinsed her dishes off. “Hurry up. We need to be going soon.”
 
“Don't rush me. I'll be done in my own time.”
 
“Yet after you eat sugar, you always rush.”
 
“Do not!”
 
“Do too!”
 
“Do not!”
 
“Do too and you know it! Now hurry up!” Serena walked out of the kitchen before Max could answer.
 
At the park, everyone was there. Everyone, except Zeo.
 
“Where is he? He was so excited to practice with us!” said Tyson.
 
“Maybe he'll be here later,” said Ray.
 
However, Ray was wrong. All day, Zeo never showed up.
 
“I can't believe he missed practice! The championship is two days away!” Tyson was very upset that his training partner wasn't there.
 
“Maybe something came up,” suggested Kenny.
 
“He would have called!” said Tyson.
 
“Maybe he'll come tomorrow,” said Max.
 
“I want to know why he wasn't here today!” said Tyson.
 
“We don't know how to contact him,” said Ray.
 
“I don't care! I'm going to go look for him!”
 
“Tyson! Wait up!”
 
Serena watched her friends chase after Tyson and sighed.
 
It's finally happened.
 
Serena started to walk away from the practice area when she stopped. A lot of balloon fragments were on the ground from the water fight. During the breaks, the group had a water balloon fight. Serena started to pick up the fragments.
 
“The least they could have done was clean up,” Serena muttered.
 
A hand appeared next to hers. Serena looked up and saw Zeo.
 
“Where were you? The others are looking for you.”
 
“I know. I've been hiding.”
 
“Why?”
 
Zeo didn't answer until all of the balloon fragments were picked up.
 
“I wanted to talk to you. Can we take a walk?”
 
The two dumped the balloon fragments into a trashcan, and then headed to the beach.
 
“You've never trusted me.” Zeo stated it as a matter of fact.
 
“Why do you say that?” asked Serena. How did he know that?
 
“The first day I met you, you ran away with an excuse of having to finish something at home. Max never said anything; and if you had something important to do, you wouldn't have been heading to Tyson's. Why don't you trust me?”
 
“I do trust you,” lied Serena. “It was, that time I was worried you were a spy for the PsyKicks.”
 
“It wasn't that one time. It wasn't until the sleepover the other day that you trusted me. You changed your mind even before I did anything. Why?”
 
“I decided to give you a chance; and I was right. You helped Ray defeat the PsyKick.”
 
“Which resulted in me becoming a BladeBreaker instead of you.”
 
“You deserved it.”
 
Zeo laughed. “You amaze me. I thought you'd be jealous of them choosing me over you. Instead, you seem happy for me.”
 
They reached the beach and sat on a bench. Both were quite until Serena spoke.
 
“You're acting differently today. Usually you're all happy; but today you're all Mr. Doom and Gloom.”
 
“I need to make a tough decision.”
 
“Which is?”
 
“It's the reason why I wanted to talk to you alone. I understand that you can keep a secret; and you seem to be an understanding person.”
 
Serena looked at Zeo.
 
“What am I supposed to understand?”
 
“When you weren't around at practice, the BladeBreakers told me that you and Max just recently found out you were twins. You probably can understand about finding out your life is a lie.”
 
“Which part of you life is a lie?”
 
Zeo looked at the ocean. “I found out that the man I thought would do nothing bad, is the one trying to take your bitbeasts.”
 
“Zagart? How do you know him and how did you find out?”
 
“He's my father. There was a woman on the boat yesterday. She visited our house last night. I was supposed to be in bed, but I overheard them talking.”
 
“So Zagart's your f-father.”
 
Zeo nodded. “But that's not all. The woman saw me and told my father that I've been hanging out with you all. Now my father's taken away my blade and is saying I have to join the PsyKicks.”
 
“What can I do?”
 
“I want to know what you would do if you were in my position.”
 
“You want advice?”
 
Zeo looked at Serena. “Sure.”
 
“For one thing, I can't tell you what to do. You need to decide where your loyalty lies: with your friends, or with your father. Nothing I say can change your decision.”
 
“But what would you do?”
 
Serena sighed. “I've been in a similar situation. I had the choice of obeying the person who pretended to be my f-father or not. I chose not to; and here I am, myself and nothing different.”
 
“What do you mean different?”
 
Serena remained quiet.
 
“ZEO!”
 
Serena and Zeo looked at the boardwalk, spying the BladeBreakers standing there.
 
“It's your choice,” said Serena quietly.
 
Zeo stood up and walked up onto the boardwalk, stopping in front of the BladeBreakers.
 
“Why weren't you at practice?” asked Ray.
 
“How can we be partners if we both aren't there?” asked Tyson.
 
Zeo looked briefly at Serena, then back at the BladeBreakers. “We can't be partners anymore.”
 
“What? Why?” asked Tyson.
 
“From now on, we're enemies!” Zeo ran away.
 
“Zeo!”
 
But Zeo didn't stop. He didn't even look back. Serena walked up the steps and stood besides the BladeBreakers.
 
“Why would Zeo become our enemy? I thought he was our friend,” said Max.
 
Tyson turned to Serena. “You know don't you.”
 
Serena didn't answer.
 
“There you go again! You're always keeping secrets from us. We're your friends! You should trust us and tell us anything that concerns us!” said Tyson.
 
“I promised Zeo I wouldn't tell.”
 
“But you know why he decided to change sides. We need to know too!”
 
Serena noticed the others weren't going to say anything. Smart. “I never go back on my promises Tyson.”
 
“How can we trust you though? You just talked with the person whom you never-” Tyson stopped.
 
“You knew this would happen,” accused Max.
 
Serena hesitated, then nodded.
 
“How?” asked Ray.
 
“Remember, she said Zeo could be a spy,” said Kenny.
 
Tyson pointed a finger at Serena. “Maybe you're a spy for them too!”
 
“Why would she be a spy? She's my sister!” said Max.
 
Serena remained quiet, growing angry.
 
“Maybe while they were down there, they decided on how both of them could betray us!” said Tyson.
 
“Is that what you think? That I'm a spy for the PsyKicks?” demanded Serena.
 
Tyson nodded.
 
“Well, you don't really tell us much about yourself. How do we know you really aren't a spy?” asked Kenny.
 
Serena was surprised. Kenny was usually a trusting person. She thought he would have been on her side.
 
“She's been helping us train though. If she was a spy, then why would she have helped us?” asked Ray.
 
“To get close to us!” said Tyson.
 
“I don't think she's a spy.”
 
Everyone looked at Hilary, who had remained quiet the whole time.
 
“Why not?” demanded Tyson.
 
“For several reasons. One, she's Max's sister. Do you honestly think she would have betrayed her own brother? Two, she's known Kai for a long time. Kai would probably vouch for her.”
Serena looked around and realized that Kai wasn't there.
 
“And three, she's been helping you all train for the Championships. If she was a spy, then she wouldn't have helped out as much,” finished Hilary.
 
“We don't need her help!” said Tyson.
 
Serena felt a pang of sorrow.
 
-I never
I never, thought i could feel this way
or question what it takes
How many times can one heart break
So much pleasure, so much pain-
 
“So you don't need my help. Then why did you keep coming to practice?”
 
Tyson didn't answer Serena.
 
“Tyson, we do need her help,” said Ray.
 
“No we don't! Since when did we need her help?”
 
“Since everyone was trying to take our bitbeasts,” said Max.
 
-If you don't know me by now
Then you never will
What am i to do to get through to you
To you-
 
“You know what? I'm going home. I don't need to be standing here listening to you all argue whether I am a spy or not; but Tyson's right. If you can't trust me, I shouldn't be your coach.” Serena started walking away.
 
-I've done all i can do
Now the rest is up to you
I've done all i can do
Don't look back-
“Serena! Wait!”
 
“Let her go Hilary. We don't need her. She's a traitor.”
 
As soon as Serena was out of sight, she started running. She wanted to be home, in her room. Serena knew Ms. Judy was out of the house. She was probably helping Mr. Dickenson track down the missing rock. Mr. Tate was at the store; but he would be home soon. At the house, Serena went to her room and closed the door.
 
{I'm sorry.}
 
/Why should you be? It's how my friends feel./
 
{What are you going to do?}
 
/Avoid them./
 
{How?}
 
Serena went to her closet and pulled out two duffel bags.
 
/I'm going to leave./
 
{Where will you go?}
 
/Anywhere as long as it is far from here./
 
Serena went around her room packing items she would need. She left her most special items in the chest at the foot of the bed. Serena kept the key around her neck; so no one was getting into the chest. Serena did open it to take out some lemon-lime soda bottles and packed them in a duffel bag. Serena heard the front door close.
 
“Serena?”
 
Serena swore in Russian. She never expected Max to be home so soon. Serena placed a chair under the doorknob so Max wouldn't be able to get in. Max knocked on the door.
 
“Serena. I know you're in there.” Max tried to open the door. “Serena, let me in. I need to talk to you.”
 
Serena continued to pack. Now that someone was in the house, she had to move quickly.
 
“Serena, Tyson didn't mean what he said. He was just upset that Zeo became and enemy.”
 
Oooohhhh. I so want to comment on that.
 
-I've done all i can do
Now the rest is up to you
Will you be the man for me
Take the time to just come clean
when it all became a past
Do your best to make it last
Wake up & don't look back-
 
[Please?]
 
Serena blocked the mind link and finished packing.
 
I can't go out the door. Max is there. I better go out the window.
 
Serena summoned her shoes to outside the window. Serena grabbed the two duffel bags and then climbed out, sitting on the windowsill to put her shoes on. Once on the ground, Serena closed the window.
 
{Where will you go?}
 
/I don't know./
 
{You could always go back.}
 
/Back to where my friends doubt me? I don't think so./
 
-Don't look back-
 
Serena walked to the park and sat on a bench. She needed to think.
 
Dragonia's right. Where will I go? I don't have much money for a place to stay. Maybe I'll call Aunt May and go to Tobyo. Or maybe Domino.
 
A little ways away from Serena, a bunch of kids were playing with blades. It reminded Serena of herself and her friends.
 
“I told you your friends would discard you when they didn't need you anymore.”
 
Serena looked to her left and saw Dr. K sitting next to her, then looked back at the bladers, not answering.
 
“My offer still stands.”
 
“I'm not going to join.”
 
“Why not? It'll be a way to get back at your so called friends.”
 
“My friends are upset and confused. I'm not going to become their enemy just because of that.”
 
“You could be on the same team as Zeo. The World Championships is-”
 
“I know the World Championships this year is a two person team. I'm not going to be a PsyKick. You want my bitbeast. I'm not going to work with people who want it.”
 
“So nothing will convince you?”
 
Serena looked at Dr. K. “You must be really desperate to offer me things to betray my friends.”
 
“They've all ready betrayed you. I'm just offering revenge.”
 
“And I'm not accepting. I'm never going to accept, so you can just leave me alone.”
 
Dr. K stood up. “Fine, but just remember, you could have had revenge.” She walked away as Serena placed her head in her hands.
 
I don't need revenge. I need a place to stay.
 
“Serena.”
 
Serena looked up and saw Nicole, who looked at the duffel bags.
 
“Running away?”
 
“I'm just giving the BladeBreakers their space.”
 
“Max called me and told me what happened. Are you really set on leaving?”
 
Serena nodded.
 
“Then why don't you stay with me? That way you have somewhere to stay.”
 
“Don't your other friends live with you?”
 
“We all have our own apartments, that way we could keep an eye on everyone. Of course, since you and Max are family, I shared an apartment with Miriam. After I quit the team, I got a place of my own. So, you want to stay at my place until this blows over or what?”
 
Serena smiled and stood up. “Thanks. That would be great.”
 
Serena and Nicole each picked up a duffel bag. Serena didn't notice that Nicole had stuck something to the outside of the duffel bag. The two walked past the school and past everything close to the BladeBreakers.
 
“So where exactly do you live?” asked Serena.
 
“The other side of town. My apartment isn't much. My allowance got cut down once I quit the team.”
 
Serena reached into her pocket and pulled out what little money she had. She held it out to Nicole.
 
“Here. It's not much; but if I'm staying over at your place, I should pay rent.”
 
Nicole shook her head. “I can't take your money. Think of it as a sleepover. You'll probably head back home once this whole misunderstanding has blown over.”
 
Serena protested, but Nicole ignored her.
 
“This is it.”
 
Serena looked around. She hadn't noticed the change of scene. All around were shady looking people.
 
“Come on. We don't want to be out here once the sun sets.”
 
Serena followed Nicole into the apartment complex. Once inside Nicole's apartment, Serena looked around. Like Nicole said, it wasn't much. It was scarcely furnished and shabby looking.
 
“The guest room is down the hall and to the left,” said Nicole pointing.
 
The guest room was as sparse as the other rooms. Serena set her stuff down on the bed and then walked back into the main room.
 
“Thanks again for letting me stay here.”
 
“You're welcome, but I have a question. Why must you run away from your problems? I don't mind you staying here; but you need to face your problems.”
 
“I am not running away from my problems. I just don't want to make things worse. Tuesday is the tournament; and if I hang around, tensions will rise and the BladeBreakers could lose concentration.”
 
“You're just making excuses. No matter what you say, you are still running away from your problems.”
 
“I am not!”
 
Nicole looked at Serena, not blinking, until Serena looked down. Serena mentally cursed. She was running away from her problems.
 
“So how are you going to avoid them at school?” asked Nicole.
 
Serena looked up. “Well, since only Tyson and Kenny are in my class, they won't talk to me. I can avoid Max.”
 
“Not all of them hate you. Max doesn't hate you. Neither does Kai.”
 
“But that's only two. Max is my brother and Kai is my-” Serena stopped.
 
Nicole smiled. “Remember, you all ready told me at school. In fact, you told the whole class.”
 
Serena laughed. “I'm amazed that it hadn't been on the news yet.”
 
“The girls at school don't believe you. Kai's antisocial, so no one will believe he has a girlfriend.”
 
“Well, that's still only two; and that's because they are close to me. The others aren't and have every right to be mad at me.” Serena walked to the window. Outside, the sun had set and the lights had turned on; or at least, the streetlights that were intact.
 
“Maybe if you told them the past that you wouldn't even tell me,” said Nicole.
 
“No. Then they'd want to…no. I want to bring him down. I want to bring him down myself.”
 
Silence. Finally: “Hey, you hungry?” Nicole walked into the kitchen.
 
Serena turned from the window.
 
“A little. What do you have?”
 
“Anything you want.”
 
Serena couldn't express her thanks enough. Nicole waved it off each time.
 
“No problem. You needed a place to stay; and I doubt you would have wanted to live on the street for two days.”
 
“I would if I have to. So what will we do tomorrow?”
 
“Well, the BBA is holding a dinner tomorrow night to introduce the teams.”
 
“Whoopdeedoo,” said Serena sarcastically.
 
“Come on Serena. I know you want to go to the tournament, so why not the ceremonies? There's going to be a crowd there, so you can hide in that. Or maybe we can form our own team and enter the tournament.”
 
“NO! I am trying to avoid the BladeBreakers, not confront them,” said Serena.
 
“Fine. Eventually though, you will have to confront them.” Nicole stood up. “I'll see you in the morning.”
 
Monday morning, Serena got up for school. Once she was all set, she realized that she had forgotten her backpack at home. Serena sighed, and then pointed to the bed. Her backpack appeared and Serena searched through it. Finding nothing out of the ordinary there, Serena headed out the door.
 
{You're going to be early.}
 
/I know. I'm hoping if I get there early enough, I won't run into the others./
 
At the school, Serena stood in front of the gates. The gates wouldn't open until it was close to the first bell.
 
{So, will you go back to the BladeBreakers once the tournament is over?}
 
/If they forgive me./
 
{Will you forgive them?}
 
/I already have./
 
Students started to come as it got closer to the first bell. Serena saw the school going BladeBreakers heading in her general direction. Serena hurried through the gates. She didn't want to face them just yet
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------
Gasp! An actual note from the author! I'm sooo happy that I all ready have over 500 hits! This is just to say, I do NOT own the awesome song If You Don't Know Me By Now by Audrey. I was listening to that song when I wrote this chapter. It may not fit perfectly, but that song was stuck in my head and writing it got it out. I know I have also not been asking for reviews, but I would like some input that does NOT come from my friends. Not that I mind! *cowers in corner from the glares of friends* You guys have been awesome! Okay, time to get on track…again…I just want to say, even though I do not always ask for reviews at the ends of my chapters like a lot of authors do, feel free to review at any time! Would be much appreciated!