Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ A New Family: Kai's Cold Beginnings ❯ What I am ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wingzero: *hides from angry reviewers* Sorry, sorry. I had homework to take care of and then finals. *sighs* I'll be away this weekend, but don't worry I'll bring my laptop with me and maybe I can borrow my brother's while I'm at it.

DS: Are you sure you can pull it off. Like your brother will let you borrow his laptop.

Wingzero: *glares at her yami*

Ray: You really shouldn't have said that.

Kai: *sighs* I'll go get the first aid kit.

Tyson: I'll go inform the neighbors to stay indoors.

Max: I'll go help Tyson.

Kenny: I suppose I can estimate the damages after she's finished.

Malik: Ooo, can I join you too?

Marik: Aibou, you're weird.

Malik: And proud of it.

Marik: . That's it you're spending less time with her.

Malik: *twitches and gives Marik a death glare*

Marik: I'll just shut up now.

Wingzero & Malik: *start beating up their yamis*

Yugi: *sighs*

Ryou: I'm glad Bakura isn't like that.

Wingzero & Malik: *emerge out of the dust cloud without a bruise or scratch*

DS & Marik: *twitch* *twitch* *twitch* X_x

Once everyone was at the park, we held a rather unproductive meeting. The other teams were still dealing with the fact their bit beasts could come out of their blades. So it was basically left up to us to decide what to do with the elder problem. Needless to say, my bit beast and Dragoon practically argued the entire time. Driger had a wonderful time of trying to keep a certain mountain cat off of him. Tyson's mind kept going back to food as it was past lunch time and we were all hungry. Ray and Dee were just mentally chatting. Occasionally, I could see their faces scrunch up, or something indicating their mood. Max and Emily tried to come up with some sort of strategy using the information we had. In the end, we had to break up the meeting, though we decided that the silver falcon take the place as head elder until we decide what we were going to do. She accepted a bit unwillingly. I don't blame her as I wouldn't want the responsibilities that go along with it.

The White Tigers said they had to settle down in their hotel, because upon arriving here, they headed straight to our place. Fortunately for them, they had reserved one before departing China. Lee claimed he thought of the idea when it was really Mariah pestering him to do it. The Majestics expressed an interest in the BBA research facility. Of course the owners didn't mind as the wealthy group of beybladers might make a generous donation. The All Starz went back to their training and research at the facility. One of the other workers gave the visiting team a tour.

About an hour later, the couple managed to cook something decent. Between the two of them, I have to say Ray was the better cook. He must have picked it up while he was waiting tables at the one restaurant. At least, one of them knows how to cook. Tyson pushed away his meal, because they had taken liberty to what his dare earlier today, meaning he was supposed to be on a diet. However he watched us while we were eating and couldn't take it. Within a matter of seconds, he was practically inhaling his food. Dragoon was pretty much in the same condition. Good thing our other bit beasts were healthy, moderate eaters. Max wasn't allowed his usual sweet dessert. He pouted until he was allowed to eat a sweet fruit, but I limited the amount to two large pieces of orange.

We were currently lounging around in the living area. I of course chose a single chair. Max, Tyson, Ray, and Dee sat on the couch. If you were wondering how they managed to pull that off, a certain someone was sitting on a certain blader's lap. I wasn't referring to the loud mouth or the hyper kid. Kenny had chosen the lazy boy and was typing furiously on his laptop. Our bit beasts have returned to our blades, because they were running out of energy and needed to rest up. The only good thing that came out of it was the two weren't arguing any more.

"So now what are we going to do?" Tyson asked no one in particular. He had his arm lazily draped over the arm rest. His foot, minus the shoe, propped up on the table and his other arm lying on top of his chest.

"We still need to find bit beasts to replace the elders," Ray spoke up. He had his arms wrapped around her waist while she used his shoulder as a pillow.

"That's for us to take care of." She gave his hand a slight squeeze. "Besides you have other problems to take care of."

"Such as?" Tyson became more interested in what they were talking about. I decided to stay in the background and observe them.

"That's none of my business to tell you, because it's personal," the silver falcon sighed. She shifted uneasily on Ray's lap. He gave her a concerned look but she assured him it would be fine.

I wanted nothing more than to and spend some time in my own thoughts. Standing up, I ignored the protests coming from my team mates.

"Kai, where are you going?" The loud mouth out of our group asked me.

Turning my head around, I almost snapped at him. "I'm going to sort some things out and I would like to be alone." I glared at her, daring her to poke in my mind.

'No need to get so testy,' Dralcian spoke to me mentally. 'Besides, I know you need to spend time by yourself.'

"Was I that obvious?"

'Let's put it this way, someone would have to be blink or a complete idiot not to have noticed,' Dee gave me that wonderful explanation.

The others knew she was communicating with me mentally so they didn't say anything about it. It was a good thing; otherwise, I would have pounded them. Well.... Okay, maybe not pound them, but training will be much more harsh than the usual.

"That goes for you too Dranzer," I spoke to her as I headed into the bedroom I shared with Ray. Now that I thought about it, I supposed it would be better if she moved in here and I moved into another room. Then again, this room might be able to fit the three of us, assuming the third person doesn't mind sharing a bed.

I heard an indignant squawk coming from my beyblade. She obviously was awake and eavesdropping on our conversation. Of course, I cut her off mentally as I needed my space. Besides, I knew she wanted to spend time with that dragon of my team mate.

As I made my way through our clean shared room, my thoughts kept going back to my recent flashbacks. I remembered vaguely what my parents were like and a few stray memories while we were at the Abbey. Then there were some not so nice ones about my 'grandfather' and Boris.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*Flash Back: Kai @ age 12*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Boris, what are you doing to us?" I spat at him.

Tala, Bryan, Dee, and I were held within a room. We were currently free on our own accord, but those four tables spelled trouble, mainly for the four of us. Near them were empty tables, though I knew they weren't going to be for long.

"Well now, if I told you then it wouldn't be a surprise," Boris had this smirk, I wanted to wipe off his face. He turned his back on us to walk out of the room, leaving the four of us alone.

"That went well," Dralcian commented. He leaned back against the wall, from where he was sitting on top of a table.

"I wonder what he's going to do to us," Tala said thoughtfully. He too sat on the table; the opposite end as the unsealed bit beast.

"Tala, we shouldn't be asking too many questions," Bryan scorned him before turning on me. "That goes for you too Kai. They know what they're doing and I doubt they would harm any one of us when we are such an 'important' part of their plans."

"You never know," I retorted, while crossing my hands over my chest. "They gave me these for being disobedient. What makes you think they may not go easy on us next time?"

"In any case, I hear they have picked out two more prodigies out from the latest students," Dralcian commented. His right hand combed through his silver hair. "This one kid was short, but his nose is large for his size. The other one is more arrogant than all four of us combined. I believe he is taller than your average human."

"Still that doesn't matter," Bryan scoffed. His feet scuffed the dust on the floor. "They give us room and board. That's what matters."

"No, this is more of a prison," I commented dryly. "You defend them. Why?"

Bryan's gaze turned towards the ceiling. "I don't have anywhere to go. My parents were killed while I was young. I was sent to live with my relatives, but they didn't earn enough money to support a growing boy so they left me out on the curb to fend for myself. That was how Boris found me. I know he isn't exactly an angel, but he gives me what I need to survive."

"I can't say I know the feeling," I said, continuing this sappy moment. "My grandfather took me away from my parents. We were poor but happy."

"So you don't know what happened to them after?" Tala inquired the whereabouts of my parents. I nodded my head in response to which he continued. "At least your parents cared for you, which is more than I can say for mine. I was constantly in my older brother's shadow."

The bit beast shifted nervously at our male bonding. "I don't know how any of you feel. My parents never did pay much attention to me, which is one of the reasons why I was caught and forced to come here in the first place. Now that we have gotten all this male bonding done, we have to be concerned with our near future."

"Yeah, what are they planning to do with us?" Tala inquired.

"Who knows what goes through their minds," I sighed out loud as I waved my hand nonchalantly through the air.

"I hope they're not going to be doing it," Dralcian shuddered at the thought.

"What are you talking about?" Bryan questioned the silver falcon.

"I don't want to talk about," he turned away from the speaker.

"He has been receiving special treatments," I answered for him. I knew he wasn't in the mood to talk about it, but at the same time Tala wouldn't stop asking until he received a satisfactory answer. "I can't tell you as to what they are. Dralcian asked me to keep it to myself and that is what I plan on doing."

"I won't ask," Tala held up his hands defensively. "I think it is possible he might use us as one of his projects. Come to think of it, we may even be the first humans to be used in their projects."

The only bit beast in the room slightly flinched when he heard the word human. No one noticed it except for me as I knew what and when to look for it. His eyes scanned the room for something to occupy himself with or rather keep his mind off what was to come.

Ten minutes later, the four of us were strapped to the tables. Man, they were really cold. Dralcian refused to be placed on the metal objects and had to be sedated. Since he wasn't your average human, they had to use quite a bit of sedatives on him. Tala kept asking too many questions before they could persuade him to jump onto the table. He asked them what they were going to do to us. Unfortunately for him, they didn't know anything as they were only lackeys. Bryan went without any questions or resistance. I however did both, much to their annoyance.

A day later, Dralcian was waking up from his slumber. That must have used a large amount of sedatives and potent ones on him. Tala complained how his head hurts. Bryan was quiet as ever. I was brooding in the corner of our recovery room. Well, it was a storage room, turned into one.

"What happened?" The silver falcon questioned. He sat up and yawned a few times before settling his eyes upon me.

"You were drugged and the experiments were performed on us as scheduled," I replied dryly as ever. From my dark corner of the room, I shifted my weight to the other foot and back again. "Are you okay?"

"I'm just tired, that's all," he shrugged off. He stood up from his bed and stretched out his limbs. "What about the rest of you?"

"You don't feel this excruciating headache?" Tala asked the silver falcon.

"No. Why do you ask?" Dralcian glanced over at me. I nodded my head, indicating that the three of us had it. "Oh, I heal faster than most people."

"Now I wish I had that," Tala sighed. "What do you suppose we can do now?"

"I don't know," I answered his question vaguely. "It will be some time before we can see what our 'enhancements' can do or even use them to their full potential."

"The point is do we want to find out?" Bryan spoke up finally.

"Do you always have to be a wet blanket?" Tala gave an exasperated sigh.

"It's reality; whether you like it or not," Bryan reminded all of us grimly.

"Whatever you say," Dralcian said.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*End of Flashback*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Little did I know, they were turning us into perfect soldiers. They had given us strength enhancing chemicals as well as a few other things. Something told me they weren't all organic. Part of their plan was to turn us into cyborgs. About a year later or around that time, Dralcian escaped, leaving the three of us behind. It happened by accident while they were transporting him to a different location, which was why he couldn't come and save us. Not too long after it, I managed to make my escape. Tala and Bryan remained behind. After all, they had no place to turn to and no living family members alive.

I glanced over at the other bed when I heard a rustling of bed sheets. Ray had finally entered the room and was sitting on his own bed. That was when I glanced over at the clock and realized how late it was.

"Time for dinner," Ray informed me as he stood up. "The others are waiting for you and I don't think Max can hold back Tyson from the food. Dralcian left awhile ago to take care of the elder problem along with our five bit beasts."

"You don't know when they're going to be coming back, do you?" I didn't want to sound worried, but one of those bit beasts belonged to me and the other one was a good friend of mine.

"They said they should have everything settled by tomorrow night at the very latest," Ray tried to sound reassuring with the keyword being tried. "If not, then she left us a way of contacting her for emergencies only."

"Let's go eat dinner before Tyson polishes it off," I smirked at my own joke. Speaking of which, why was I worried if Tyson was happy or not? Was I supposed to care? Nah, it couldn't be. Out of all my relationships, if any, this was the hardest for me to grasp and understand. I didn't like it, not one bit.

During dinner, we discussed our theories as to what our bit beasts were doing. Tyson, being the loveable idiot he was, thought they were going to recruit others to take the place of the elders. Wait a second, did I just think Tyson as a loveable idiot. I must be hanging around my team mates for too long. They were starting to rub off on me.

"Then what do you think they will do?" Tyson questioned the rest of us while poking me in the arm. After all, I was their team captain.

"I think at least one of them will become an elder," Ray suggested, though I could tell he didn't want either Dee or Driger to become one. Those two have become important in his life.

"It won't be Dranzer," I spoke rather harshly. The Bladebreakers definitely needed our bit beasts in order to compete against the other teams: the White Tigers, the All Starz, the Majestics, and the Demolition Boys.

"It would be cool if Dragoon became an elder, but I will miss him," Tyson admitted sheepishly, surprisingly with his mouth not full.

"The same goes for me," Max added his comment. He paused to think for a second. "Do you think the other bit beasts went to help?"

"That could be a possibility," Kenny shrugged. Of course, there weren't any sarcastic remarks coming from his present laptop as Dizzi was not occupying it. "They were summoned here for that reason."

"We could always call them, but I don't want to bother the White Tigers," Ray said between bites. "And even if we did, we don't even know their phone numbers."

"We do know the number to the All Starz," Max pointed out while pointing his fork to no one in particular. "I have my mom's phone number memorized."

"Besides that, the others have our phone number if they want to contact us," Ray mentioned. We had given the team captains our phone number should they need to contact us.

Not a minute after Ray had said those words the phone rang. I glanced over towards my team mates who were looking at me. Then I realized why. The phone was situated behind me. I reached over to it and answered.

"Hello. Kai speaking."

"Kai? Just the person I wanted to talk to. This is Robert."

"What do you want?" I asked, wanting to return back to my dinner. No, I wasn't like Tyson, but I wanted to finish it before he got a chance to.

"Always straight to the point," Robert chuckled over the phone. "We noticed our bit beasts missing. Do you know what happened to them?"

"They're with our bit beasts," I replied casually. Before he could speak again, I answered his question. "All of our bit beasts are dealing with the elder situation. It figures they would be too seeing as they were summoned here."

"That it is," Robert said thoughtfully. "When do you think they will be back?"

"I don't know," I answered truthfully. Good thing it was a cordless phone or I would be twirling the phone cord by now. I was glad Dee wasn't around to read my mind. It was going to be embarrassing. "They said sometime tomorrow, the night at the latest."

"Hm, you don't think they're in trouble?" Robert inquired; his voice full of concern.

"Black Dranzer is gone," I scoffed at the thought of them being in danger. "The only danger they would be in is getting lost. Besides, I think every one of our bit beasts is there including the other teams." My team mates were unusually quiet, even Tyson.

"I'm holding you to that," Robert spoke with authority.

"Okay," I said while defending my portion from my hungry team mate. "I got to go."

"Why may I ask?"

"Because I don't want Tyson to be stealing my food," I spoke quickly.

Robert laughed. "Okay, okay. I'll talk to you tomorrow then. Bye." He hung up a I hung up and then thwacked Tyson's hand.

Tyson pulled back his hand, pouting the entire time. He stuck his tongue at me. "Meanie!"

"You need to go on a diet," I pointed out that fact. "I don't need any dead weights on this team."

"Hey!" Tyson shouted indignantly. "I do my fair share of the work."

"You're the heaviest one on the team."

"Well you're heavy too!" Tyson growled at me and appeared as if he was about to lunge at me.

"It's all muscle," I snorted and finished off my dinner before Tyson could steal it. Hey, I do need to eat too.

Max and Kenny ended doing the dishes. Ray, Tyson and I cleared the table and put away the food. Afterwards, we crashed in front of the television. Since no one wanted to train including me, we decided on watching a movie. Now, you knew me to be constantly training. It would feel different if I didn't have Dranzer, but then again, I did lose her once. Besides that, I wanted to save my energy just in case Boris and my 'grandfather' were on the move again. Something told me they were going move soon and when we least expect it.

"How does a tiny item have so much power?" Tyson asked another stupid question.

"Look who's talking," I snorted out loud. If you didn't know, Tyson, Max, and Kenny took the sofa. Ray and I sat in the individual seats. "Remember Black Dranzer?"

"Oh yeah," Tyson said sheepishly. He nervously scratched the back of his head.

"How you could forget it, Tyson, is beyond me," Ray chuckled.

"Who do you think you resemble the most?" Max asked out of the blue.

"I don't know," Kenny shrugged.

"I think Ray resembles that elf; what's his name?" Tyson said out of the blue. "They both have those pointy ears, except he has fangs."

"And what's wrong with fangs?" Ray growled lightly at the speaker.

"Nothing," Tyson said hastily.

"Max would be Sam," Kenny suggested without his laptop for once.

"Thanks, I think."

"What about me?" Tyson inquired while bouncing on the cushion.

"I would have to say Pippen," I spoke up.

"Thanks. HEY!" Tyson shouted indignantly while my other team mates snickered. "And just who would you be?"

"Aragorn," I replied casually after a few moments to think. No, there was no way I thought of myself resembling the dwarf or any hobbits as well as the human.

"Typical," Tyson muttered under his breath.

"I heard you."

"Dang it," Tyson grumbled. He turned his attention to Kenny. "Then what does that make you?"

All of us thought about it, including the person himself. We couldn't come up with anything because he seemed to be a combination of characters so we decided to leave him as undecided. Once the movie was over, we trooped our ways to our beds.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Morning~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As usual, I was the first one to wake up. I glanced over at the purring lump, I called my room mate and sighed. Why was my first always Tyson? I guessed it was because he needed more training as well as discipline, but something inside kept telling me it was something more. I wished I knew where I stood with him. As far as Ray was concerned, I loved him as a little brother. Dralcian was my best friend and nothing more. I would say more of an older brother to me, seeing as he was much older than he seemed. Max was a friend as well as Kenny.

That was when I noticed a certain fire phoenix within my blade on my table. She must have returned late at night or early in the morning. I was glad to have her back in her blade, which meant she wasn't going to be one of those elders.

Speaking of which, I wanted to talk to her as soon as I exited the room as not to wake up the sleeping kitten. Just great, now she had me referring to him as 'kitten.' I might as well get something to eat before the living garbage can came though.

As soon as I entered the kitchen, Dranzer came out of her blade yawning. She wore a simple red nightgown with white sakuras on it. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"What happened to the elder problem?" I inquired while crossing my arms and leaning on the wall.

"We solved it for now," Dranzer replied still trying to wake up. "Dralcian and his brother have taken over for now."

"Dee has a brother?" I nearly fell out of shock.

"Yeah, she doesn't like to talk about it much, because she thought he was dead," she replied with carefully chosen words. "It's something we don't like to talk about."

"I see," I said, making my way to the fridge. It wasn't like I didn't care, but I needed to fill the request of my stomach. "Would you like anything?" I picked out a pan from the cupboards.

"I'm fine, but thanks for asking," Dranzer said while scratching the back of her neck nervously.

"In other words, you don't like my cooking," I said, pretending to sound hurt.

"It's not that, master," she said trying to placate me. As if I ever needed to be calmed down.

"I know my culinary skills aren't the greatest," I said nonchalantly.

Before I knew what happened, the pan was taken out of my possession. "I'll take over making breakfast." I stood there stunned at her actions. She shoved me out of the kitchen and into the living area in less than a blink. "Don't let Tyson come in until I'm finished."

Oh great, now my bit beast was ordering me around. I wandered around the living area until I decided to start training without my bit beast and work on my technique. She shouldn't be doing all of the work when I can train to improve myself. I went back to my room and changed into my usual outfit before hitting the dish. I trained for half an hour before Dranzer came out to call me for breakfast. She asked if I could wake up the others, because if she did, she would be tempted to set Tyson's rear on fire.

I woke up Ray seeing as he was the easiest to wake up. Not to mention, I wanted to get a few things from my room. Ray woke up when I gently shook him. Next was Kenny. He was the second easiest to wake up when I called out his name loudly. Tyson and Max were hard to wake up, which was why I stopped by my room on the way there. I picked up a cup of cold water and dumped it on Tyson, who jumped up shrieking with rage, causing Max to wake up.

"Kai!" Tyson screamed my name as he came to the kitchen area. If you want to know, I didn't stick around for Tyson to start screaming in rage.

"Tyson, did you take a bath?" Ray asked him politely.

"No I didn't," Tyson growled at me in particular.

"Then what happened?" Kenny inquired from behind his laptop.

"Kai nearly drowned me!" Tyson screamed with fury.

"If you can't stand a cup of water, then you shouldn't be allowed near a pool," I snorted at him. In which I received a wet raspberry. "In that case, make it while it's raining."

"You're mean," Tyson pouted, which caused the others to laugh.

By now, Dranzer had returned back to her blade. One problem down and two more to go. I wished I knew what Boris was up to and what I was feeling. I knew I could sort out my feelings for Tyson later. Right now, I had to deal with Boris and Voltaire. Yeah, that was right. I didn't refer to him as my living relative, because I denounce every tie I had to him. Now that I think of it, I should have done it long ago, but it wouldn't sever any official links. I'll have to talk with Mr. Dickenson about it. With everything we have gathered on him, I knew I will be able to become a minor adult or I could get someone else to become my guardian. I'd rather not dwell on it now, because I first have to settle a few things first.

Protect my team mates and friends from Boris.

Wingzero: ^^ That felt much better.

Malik: Same here. ^^

Ryou: *is bandaging up Marik with the help of Yugi*

Kai: *is bandaging up DS with the help of Ray*

Tyson: They never learn when to keep their mouth shut.

Max: And you don't?

Tyson: I learned. Like right now. *shuts up*

Max: Good boy. *pets Tyson*

Tyson: *glares at Max but can't stay mad at him*

Naruto: Where are we?

Sasuke: Dobe, we're in a fanfic.

Naruto: I knew that. ^^

Wingzero: Hey Naruto, Sasuke.

Sasuke: *blink* *blink*

Naruto: How do you know my name?

Wingzero: ^^ I can read minds.

Naruto: Eee!!!! *jumps but accidentally lands in Sasuke's arms*

Sasuke: *dumps Naruto very ungracefully*

Naruto: HEY!!!

Sakura: Sasuke!

Sasuke: *runs out of there*

Wingzero: --U Who let her in? *grabs Sakura and throws her out of the room*

Sakura: What did I do?

Sakura K.: How dare you steal my name and drive it into the ground! *uses windy, firey, earthy, and watery cards on her*

Sakura: *runs away shrieking like a banshee at the top of her lungs*