Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Dear Angel ❯ A Battle at the Kingdom of Abiel ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 3:
A Battle at the Kingdom of Abiel
 
KNOCK!! KNOCK!!
 
“Krist, you in there?” a voice asked from the other side of the door.
 
“Yeah,” Krist answered sleepily and rolled onto her side.
 
The door opened and Kouske entered; closing the door behind him, he walked over to the bed and sat on the edge, smiling sheepishly at Krist and rubbing the back of his head. “Oops, sorry, did I wake you?” he said.
 
“Sort of…” she yawned and sat up; rubbing her eyes and blinking a few times, she stared at Kouske with curiosity. “What is it?”
 
“The Princess wants to see you tonight; I just thought that you should be updated. There are some clothes in the closet for you to change into. She wants to meet with you at dusk so you better hurry.”
 
“Why?” Krist asked, yawning once more. “I've got some time left, so why hurry?”
 
Kouske laughed, realizing that she was clueless about the time. “I guess you don't know; dusk is in a few minutes!”
 
She gaped at him, amazed that she had slept for so long. “Really? Then get out Kouske! I've got to change!” she stood up and pushed him towards the exit.
 
“Really?” he grinned, “Now wouldn't that be a sight to see?”
 
WHACK!!
 
“OUCH!!”
 
“PERVERT!”
 
*
 
“Your majesty, Princess Etanya, I present to you: Krist.” Kouske bowed respectfully at his superior. Krist entered, glancing at Kouske on the ground. Misoka was the only other person in the room besides the three; it seemed Cher and Rika hadn't return from their fight.
 
Krist felt something land in the pit of her stomach. Did they survive the battle?
 
Kouske stared at Krist from the ground. “Krist,” he whispered, “Bow,”
 
She made a face, “No,” she whispered back.
 
“Bow,” the princess commanded with a stern, impatient voice. Her eyes narrowed down at Krist.
 
“Forgive me, your majesty, but I bow to no one but my Lord.” Krist announced, staring into the ruler's irritated eyes.
 
Etanya jumped to her feet. Quickly stepping down from her throne, she stopped in front of Krist and examined her with curiosity and a hint of resentment. Krist's long hair was silky and smooth, and her eyes were hard yet kind.
 
“Very well then,” the princess said, admitting defeat. “I admire your loyalty.” She headed back to her seat.
 
Krist smiled. “Thank you.”
 
“I suppose you do not realize the seriousness of the situation at hand.” The princess motioned for one of her servants to step forward; he obeyed and handed her a glass of red wine, and then bowed and stepped down.
 
Princess Etanya did not wait for an answer; she continued as Krist stood and listened intently. “We are currently at war with the devil's offspring himself.” She stood up and snatched a black cane from beside her chair.
 
“I see…” Krist murmured, frowning at the statement. Fighting with the son of the devil was no laughing matter; he was quite cruel, and not to mention evil and manipulative. Besides that, he had an army of demons at his command.
 
“Let me be direct,” Etanya said. “We are losing.”
 
Krist's eyes widened in surprise; she furrowed her brows, suddenly grasping how solemn the state of affairs was.
 
“My kingdom is one of the guardians of the Earth. While Heaven battles with the devil, we deal with the lesser issues.”
 
“It won't be so insignificant if we suffer defeat.” Misoka muttered, crossing his arms.
 
Lady Etanya whipped towards him with furious eyes. “I did not ask for you opinion!” she snarled. Misoka cringed, quickly bowing.
 
“I apologize, my princess. It was not my place to speak.”
 
She eyed him irritably, but then turned back to Krist and started once more. “For years we have been fighting against the dark prince, and for years we have successfully avoided chaos within the world. Time and time again, we have stopped his plans, but I fear this time will be much harder.” The princess let out a sigh; she rubbed at her temples to try and calm herself.
 
“Why is that so?” Krist asked.
 
The princess opened her eyes; Krist saw that they were full of sorrow. “Because,” Princess Etanya sighed. “This time, we have a traitor amongst us.”
 
“A traitor?”
 
“Unfortunately, yes,” Etanya frowned. “The double agent was, regrettably, Lynn. It turns out that she was a spy for the dark prince for quite some time, which is how he managed to defend our surprise attack months ago, and how he found about the boy…and you.”
 
“She was leaking information…” Krist whispered.
 
The princess nodded; pressing a hand to her forehead, she plopped down on her seat, exhausted.
 
“But…what do you want with me and the boy?” Krist asked. Much of her questions were answered, but there was still the part where she was concerned. She wasn't special…she didn't have any magical abilities; she was just a normal human. What did she have to do with anything?
 
“I'm not like you people; I'm just a feeble mortal.” Krist said. “Why was I dragged into this war?”
 
“This war concerns all of humanity.” Princess Etanya glared. “This war is about the survival of the humans, but nonetheless, I understand where you're coming from. Yes, you may seem to be a weak human, but in actuality, you are the successor to the throne.”
 
Krist gasped. “Me…? I'm the…” Krist couldn't believe it; there was no way, absolutely no way that she would be the next in line. Princess Etanya had the wrong person, she had to have the wrong person! “No…I can't be…”
 
“You are,” Princess Etanya insisted. “You are the heir to the throne; you are going to be the queen, princess, ruler; whichever you prefer.”
 
“But…”
 
“There is not but; you are the next ruler, and you will take responsibility.”
 
Krist stared at her with helpless, wide eyes. “But, your highness, I'm just…just Krist; I can't be the one to rule your kingdom, to lead the fight against the dark prince!”
 
“I grow old, Krist.” Etanya said suddenly, gazing at Krist with tired old eyes. “Time is taking its toll on me; I am aging further and further. My physical abilities weaken and my life force is diminishing.”
 
“But, you don't look a day over twenty five!” Krist exclaimed, gaping at the princess.
 
“Looks can be deceiving.” Etanya grumbled. “Even after I die, you must take up the throne and lead the soldiers into battle and victory, for the war will continue.”
 
“How am I the next in line? I'm not related to you in any way…!” Krist protested.
 
“Don't you see?” Etanya stood up and walked down the steps until she was in front Krist. “I'm you sister.”
 
Before Krist could react to that bit of news, a soldier rushed into the room; there was a cut on the side of his face, and he was pressing his hands against a wound in his side. He had a crest on his armor, and it was not the princess's emblem.
 
“Who are you?” Princess Etanya asked, glaring at him in suspicion.
 
“Lady Etanya!” he cried, staring desperately at the princess. “My king, Abiel, has sent me to ask for your help!”
 
Princess Etanya quickly maneuvered her way towards the soldier, a frown of worry on her face. “What has happened?” she demanded.
 
“We have been attacked!”
 
She quickly spun around and gazed at Misoka with hard eyes. “It seems the battle has begun. Man your stations, and bring out the soldiers. Head for the Kingdom of Abiel and if you so happen to see Lynn, bring back that traitor.”
 
Then, turning to Krist, she said, “I want you in the boy's room. Lock the door and windows, and do not leave until Misoka comes and gets you.”
 
*
 
The battle was long and harsh; all across the kingdom grounds were bodies of the dead from both sides. The sun was high in the sky, though you could barely see the blue Heavens for the white clouds shielded the vast ocean of the sky from sight.
 
Cries of war echoed through the battle, shrieks of death etched itself into the warriors' hearts; the clashes of swords rang and magical attacks flew through the air. It was a bloody war, and neither side looked good.
 
King Abiel stared at battle on the ground from within his castle walls; sad green eyes blinked back the tears. His long brown hair was tied high in a ponytail; a golden crown adored with jewels sat on his head. His red robe was draped carelessly over his shoulders, hiding his jagged silver sword from sight.
 
When would the battle between good and evil stop?
 
When would he be able to raise his children in a peaceful place?
 
“My lord!” a servant ran into the room; there was a long bloody wound reaching from his forehead down to his left cheek; in his hand was a broken sword. “My lord, you must escape!”
 
“I will not.” King Abiel stated stubbornly. He continued to stare at the conflict with pained eyes. “I will not leave my soldiers.”
 
“But, my lord!” the servant protested; he staggered towards his king, and then collapsed in front of him—an exhausted bow. “You must leave; the castle is not safe anymore! If the dark prince captures you, then he will have one of the keys!”
 
King Abiel didn't bother turning around to face his servant. His decision was final. “I am not leaving.”
 
“You must, my lord; we are holding them off as best as we can until Princess Etanya's troops arrive, but I fear that we will not make it! You must flee while you can, my lord, so that you may live to avenge Lady Hosannah!”
 
“You dare question me?” King Abiel growled, spinning around to glare ferociously at his soldier on the ground.
 
The servant sobbed; he slowly raised his head to stare at his beloved king with teary eyes. “I dare because I fear for the worst, my lord. We will lose this battle.”
 
King Abiel's eyes softened. “You don't know that.”
 
“I do, my king, for I was out there. My comrades, my friends, my brothers and sisters are out there, fighting for you, my lord, fighting for our Father, but we will not prevail in this fight.”
 
“You can't possibly know that!”
 
“I was out there, my lord!”
 
King Abiel bit his lip; his servant gazed with terror in his eyes. The king had nothing to say to that, for he, King Abiel, watched from afar, while his servant was once out there, fighting, before he came inside to warn Abiel.
 
“I witnessed it all, my king. We are losing. You must run, King Abiel, run far away. Go to the next kingdom.”
 
“I won't leave my servants.”
 
“You can't stay, my king. We are dying. We are losing.”
 
*
 
“Kouske!” Misoka called for his friend as he battled through the swarm of demons and angels. “Kouske!”
 
“I'm over here, Misoka!” Kouske answered; he plunged his sword into the stomach of a demon, smirking in satisfaction as it disappeared in a puff of black smoke.
 
Misoka jumped and landed beside his friend; together, the two of them fended off a demon attack in a matter of seconds. Sweat beads dripped down the side of their face, and their breathing became heavy with fatigue, and still, there were hundreds of more demons to go. Each time they killed one, ten more takes its place!
 
“Have you sighted any fallen angels yet?” Misoka asked, panting a great deal.
 
Kouske leaned against a tree, using it to support his tired body. With the back of his hand, he wiped the perspiration from his forehead. “Besides the dead ones that strewn across the field?” he smiled.
 
Narrowing his eyes, Misoka growled irritably. “This is no time to act smart, Kouske.”
 
*
 
“Get me that key!” Lynn yelled, slamming her hands onto the smooth, black desk. “Or I'll have your head!”
 
The demon nodded, staring wide eyed in fright at the brunette. “Y-yes, ma'am!” he stammered.
 
Lynn glared at him, raising an eyebrow. “Well?! What are you sitting there, for?! GET GOING!”
 
With a yelp, he scampered to his feet and exited the room in a second, his scaly tail tucked between his legs as he rushed down the hall.
 
She leaned back in her chair, closing her eyes as she tried to relax. “Why must I surround myself with idiots?” she muttered. That demon was sure to fail in his quest; he was too wimpy. Lynn could see it in his eyes.
 
“Now, now,” she heard a velvet voice chuckle. “Calm yourself, love.”
 
With a grin, she swerved her chair around to face the handsome man that stared back at her. Her heart began to flutter and her stomach began to churn at the soft, black hair that framed his face. Her brown eyes gazed into his deep, hypnotic crimson orbs, smiling kindly at her.
 
He was so beautiful, so perfect; she didn't understand why Princess Etanya and the others hated him so. He had been so kind to her ever since she came.
 
Suddenly, Lynn remembered her place; she was a mere servant, nothing more, and so she bowed her head. “My prince,” she whispered.
 
She heard him chuckle once more. He placed his cold, pale hand under her chin and lifted her face up so that he could stare into her wide brown eyes once more. “You don't have to be so formal with me, Lynn.”
 
And he leaned in for a kiss.