Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Depending on a Stranger ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]




Rei looked over the edge of the tall building he was standing on, but wasn't able to see how close the ground was, as it was too dark. Hearing shouts and curses, he realized the gang was quickly closing in on him.

"REI!! Get back here you little thief!!" *Yeah, right. I'm not that stupid.* He thought as he leapt off the edge of the building, his long coat rippling behind him. He landed a few seconds later on top of a smaller building. *Figures.* He thought as he ran to the edge of the building again.

He stood on the edge and waited for the gang to catch up with him. Just as they'd come into view on top of the larger building, he grinned and jumped over the edge, grabbing hold of a catwalk, hanging for a second, then dropping the remaining 7 feet to land gently on his feet. He looked up at the roof of the building as he backed out of the ally, his hand inside his coat, gripping his gun.

Rei made it out of the ally before they caught up with him and ran down the street. He turned the corner, and plowed right into someone.


Kai was pissed now. He'd had a terrible day, and was just taking a walk to ease his mind, when someone comes running out of an ally and rams into him, knocking both of them off their feet to the ground. Growling, he ripped his gun out from under his coat and aimed it at the other, but froze; They were pointing a gun to his head as well.

He took this brief pause to study the boy. He seemed more or less the same age as his own 15 years. He wore a long black trench coat, which was bunched and wrinked underneath him. It had opened enough to show the black pants and dark red shirt he wore underneath it.

Kai could make out the pitch black of his hair, and saw it was quite long, and wrapped in a cloth the same shade of his shirt. There was also a bandana on his forhead of the same color, with a black and white symbol on the front.

His chest was heaving, like he'd been running for a while, and his topaz eyes were burning with anger. This set off Kai's temper all over again. *He's mad at me?! When he was the one who wasn't watching where he was going!?!*


Rei shook his head, stunned, then looked up to see what he'd run into. When he saw it was another person, and also saw them reaching into their coat for something, he quickly grabbed hold of his own gun and held it at level with the person's head just as they did the same. It was the only thing keeping him from pulling the trigger.

He glared at the other boy. His anger intensified when he saw how he was dressed. The boy had fancy black slacks on, a dark blue silk shirt, and a thin, expensive leather coat. A long, black, silk scarf was tied around his neck, and his blue and grey hair was messed, probably from running into him.

Seeing how he was dressed told Rei that this teen was doing real well in the world, and he'd hated rich people since they were born, as it was their fault he was on the street in the first place.

Slowly, the two of them got up, neither lowering their weapons. Rei opened his mouth to say something, then froze, looking over his shoulder to glance back at the ally as he heard crashing
and swearing. The gang had caught up with him finally.


Kai narrowed his eyes as the boy was about to say something, then stopped and looked behind him. He saw a flicker of fear run through the boy's eyes, but only got a glimpse of it as the boy quickly shoved past him, running down the street. Kai's instincts went off and he shot his gun, hitting
the young man in the arm. However, he only stumbled, gripping his injured bicep, and kept going.

A few seconds later, several men ran out of the ally behind him, shoving Kai roughly to the side. He glared at them, leaning against the wall as he watched them run into different allys. Several gunshots went off suddenly, and Kai watched the boy burst out of the ally, taking off down the road. The gang members came back out, but had lost sight of him, and gave up.

Kai heard sirens suddenly, and watched a patrol car come tearing around the corner. The gang members instantly scattered, but Kai only walked in the opposite direction, hoping to look inconspicuous, but failing as the squad car instantly turned around as they spotted him, and started to follow.

"Kai! Stop right there!" Kai glanced around, then turned and ran away from the car, looking back to see, to his dismay, they was following him. Swearing in annoyance, he turned a corner, quickly reaching his red Sunfire and sliding in, instantly turning it on and roaring out of the parking lot.

He pressed the gas pedal flat against the floor, his tires whining with protest as he tore around the corner. Glancing in the rear-veiw mirror, he saw 5 patrol cars following him.

"Damn. You boost a few Mercades, and they treat you like a murderer. " Kai muttered, shifting to 4th as he reached Main street. He hit a ramp and sailed up a few feet feet, hitting the road again hard. But Kai wasn't phased; He merely shifted into 5th, taking a few backroads to try and lose the cops.


Rei slid to a stop, seeing the gang wasn't following him anymore. He leaned against the wall, panting for breath. He ran a hand through his disheveled hair, trying to restore some order to it.

"That's the last time I make a deal with Evana." The raven haired boy muttered. Jumping when he heard sirens going off, he looked down the street to see a red Sunfire ripping over the hill, being pursued by several police cars.

As the red car drove by, he caught a glimpse of the driver. *It's the guy who I ran into.* He realized, watching the boy speed past. The look he had on his face was a look of such determination and annoyance, and was so powerful, it actually sent a shiver down Rei's spine.

He watched them until they were out of sight, then walked down the street and into an apartment, heading up to his place.

Closing and locking the door behind him, Rei shrugged out of his trench coat, glaring at the bullet hole in the arm. Regarding the slash on his bicep that the bullet had made, he determind that he needed stitches and walked into the bathroom, grabbing alcohol, a cloth, some thread and a needle.

Heading back into the living room, he sat down on the couch, placing everything on the coffee table, and began to treat his arm, wiping the dried blood away from the injury. When it was clean, he slid some of the surgical thread onto the needle, and started to close the wound.


Kai pulled his car to a stop inside a large parking lot building, locking his car and getting out. He leaned over the edge, watching the police drive past, then sat up, freezing when he felt the muzzle of a gun pressed to the back of his head.

"Don't move." A voice hissed behind him. He held his breath, cursing mentally. "Now, get your hands up in the air." Kai obediently raised his arms, growling as he heard the person behind him getting out handcuffs. "Knew we'd catch you sooner or later, Kai. Just a matter of time. You people never get away with-"

The policeman was cut off by Kai quickly turning before he could pull the trigger and grabbing hold of his wrist, bending it back out of the way and knocking the police man back several feet with a swift punch to the jaw.

Kai quickly ran to his car, but swore angrily and slammed his fist against the glass when he saw he'd locked the keys inside. Turning to see the police man was slowly getting back up, he took off on foot down to the bottom floor.

Skidding to a stop when he got outside, he froze as he spotted at least 6 police men standing nearby. Dodging the bullets that were flying at him, he started running again.


Rei tugged the thread into a knot with the aid of his teeth, and had just turned the T.V. on in time to catch a high speed chase. Pleased with his timing, he settled back to watch, then blinked in shock when he saw the exact same boy for the third time, running on foot as cars chased him down the road. *Man, this guy can't catch a break.*

Turning the T.V off with a sigh, he was able to sit there for a full 5 minutes before he gave in to the guilt and headed for the door. Grabbing an undamaged coat, he walked down to the garage where his Corvette was sitting.

He slid into the beast of a machine, turning the key and reveling in the feel of it coming to life beneath his fingers, the low rumble sending a delighted shiver down his back.

"Hello to you too." He whispered softly, smirking slighty as the car purred in response. He pressed the gas pedal once, enjoying the loud growl of the engine, then turned the wheel smoothly, pulling out of the building and heading in the direction of the chase.


Kai gasped for breath as he rounded a corner, his side aching in protest. He ignored it, however, and continued to run. He heard the squeal of tires and turned around the corner of an ally, skidding to a stop when a sleek, black Corvette pulled up beside him, the driver leaning out the window.


"Get in!" Rei yelled, slipping back into the car as the boy didn't hesitate, yanking the door open and climbing in. Rei didn't even wait for him to close the door and buckle up before he took off, his tires sending smoke up as they drove down the ally and turned sharply onto the road, shifting to third.


Kai turned in his seat, watching the police through the back window as two of them crashed into the wall, not able to make the turn. He felt the entire car lurch to the left, and grabbed onto the "holy shit handle" as they turned completely around, heading straight for the two remaining police cars.

Kai glanced over at the driver, surprised to find him completely calm as he shifted to fourth. Looking back out the windshield, the bluenet held his breath as they closed in on the cop cars, then closed his eyes at the sound of metal grinding sharply against metal as they squeezed in between the cars, then ripped around the corner, getting away.


Rei stopped the car inside a broken down warehouse a few blocks away, then got out to take a look at his vehicle. "Damnit!" He yelled, seeing terrible scratches all along the sides of his car.

He slammed a fist down on the hood, then looked up at the blue haired boy who'd just gotten out of his car. "I've just ruined the paintjob on one of my most prized possessions to save your ass. Are you going to at least tell me your name?"

"You took it upon yourself to 'save my ass'; I don't owe you anything." Rei glared at him, then kneeled beside the Corvette, running his fingers over the scratches.


Kai watched the boy go over the car, determining the damage, then sighed. "My name's Kai." He muttered.


Rei looked up at the bluenette, surprise in his eyes at the fact that he actually answered him. *Kai.....interesting name.*

"My name's Rei." He said, looking back down at the car, then pulling out a cell phone and punching in a number. He rolled his eyes as it rung 5 times before someone picked up. "Ashna? Yeah, it's Rei. Listen, I need you to do me a favor. I need you to sweet-talk Rasika into making some room for my car. I got major scratches on her and.....Oh, come on, Ashna. For me?.....Thanks. I'll have it there in a few seconds. We're just outside."


Kai was surprised at this last statement. He watched Rei put the phone away, and they both got into the car. To Kai's shock, the wall covered in shadows lifted up and Rei drove into what was a large garage that had been hidden by the warehouse.


Rei parked the car in a space and got out, smirking at a young woman with blonde hair down to her shoulders and annoyed blue eyes.

"I hope you're happy, Rei. I had to sacrifice a full night with my baby and spend it with our boss just to get you this space."

"I'm sure your precious motorcycle will be fine without it's nightly polish just for one time, Ashna." Rei teased.

"Very funny, Rei."

"But, really, thanks, Ashna. I owe you big time."

"Damn straight, you do." She said, mischief sparking in her eye. Rei noticed this and shook her head.

"No way, Ashna." She pouted.

"How come all the cute ones have to be gay?" She whined, then looked over at Kai, who was looking around the shop. "Knowing my luck, he's probably gay too, right?"

"I don't know." Rei muttered, looking over as well. Kai glanced over at them, and Rei quickly averted his gaze, but Ashna held hers, smirking slightly.

"You want me to find out?" She said in a teasing voice. Rei rolled his eyes.

"Leave him alone, Ashna. He's not staying long." She looked back over at him, concern in her eyes.

"You don't think he'll tell Evana where we are?" Rei shook his head.

"I'm hoping not." Ashna noticed something flicker through Rei's eyes at the mention of Evana, and she instantly grew suspicious.

"Rei?" She asked in a warning tone. "Tell me you didn't try to make another deal with Evana." She fisted her hands in her hair as she saw Rei's guilty look. "Oh, Rei! I told you not to!"

"I only needed a little money." He said, trying to calm her down.

"Rei!! Did you forget what happened to Micheal?! He wasn't able to pay Evana back, and they took what he owed them out of his own flesh!!"

"Ashna, relax."

"I will not relax, Rei! Why didn't you just come to me? I told you if you needed money, I'd help."

"Forget it, Ashna. I'm not taking what little money you have left."


Kai watched the two talking, then looked away from them when the girl gave him a heated look. He admitted the girl was attractive, but he didn't like her in that way. He didn't like girls period. He'd preferred boys for as long as he could remember.

He looked over at the two again. The girl may have been attractive, but she had nothing on Rei. He had an exotic look to him, with his long black hair, dark skin and gold eyes. Those eyes were what first caught Kai's attention.

He looked away again after a while, studying the garage. There were at least 10 other vehicles, and they were either being polished up, or stripped down. *There are some nice cars here.* Kai thought, looking around. *68 Camaro, 67 Charger, 2000 Mercedes, Ferrari 365 GTB-4, Porsche 911 Turbo, 67 Shelby GT 500, 53 Fiat Vignale, 83 Cadillac Eldorado, 67 Pontiac GTO.*

Hearing his name being called, he turned to see Rei standing beside a 750 Yamaha Virago. "Come on, I'll drive you home." He muttered, handing him a helmet. Kai took the helmet and got onto the bike behind Rei, hanging onto the edge. However, when they took off rather quickly, Kai had to wrap his arms tightly around Rei just to keep from falling off.

Kai hated to admit it, but he didn't mind sitting this way. Rei had a well muscled back, and this gave him a great excuse to cling to him. "You're going to have to tell me where you live." Rei called out to him, looking over his shoulder. Kai nodded, pointing left as they came up to a turn. They drove straight for another 15 minutes before Kai pointed right, then told him to stop.


Rei pulled his helmet off as he parked, his long hair falling down to rest against his back. "This is where you live?" Kai nodded, setting the helmet down. Rei looked up at the huge mansion, loathing building up at him "Kai."


The bluenette turned to look at the boy.

"What is it?"

"Don't tell anyone about the garage. You reveal the whereabouts of where it is located, and you'll live to regret it." This said, he gunned the engine and took off, leaving a stunned Kai standing there. Kai shook his head and walked up to his house, shutting the door and locking it behind him with a sigh.