Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Depending on a Stranger ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Tyson hummed along to a song playing on the radio of the Mercedes he was currently driving, tapping out the beat of the song on the outside of the window where his arm was hanging.

He glanced over at Max, who had his nose shoved into a book, and grinned, gripping the steering wheel with both hands and swerving roughly. Max didn't bat an eye. Tyson scowled at this.

"How can you read so well in a moving car?" He demanded.

"Years of practice from putting up with your terrible driving." Max countered teasingly, not looking away from the book. Tyson just laughed as they pulled into the shed and drove the car up into the transport trailer.

Kenny looked up from where he was tying down the other 36 cars.

"Number 37? That leaves the three that Kai and his 'new friend' are supposed to bring." Tyson scoffed.

"Knowing Kai, they're probably in the middle of a heavy makeout session right now." He said with a laugh.

~

Kai grit his teeth as he whipped the wheel around, the two of them ducking down to avoid the bullets raining through the back window.

~

"Tyson do you HONESTLY think Kai would make out with someone he BARELY knows when he's supposed to be boosting cars, and has less then 14 hours left?" Max scolded.

~

Rei bit his lip, staring out the windshield at the 15 police cars lined up in front of them.

"You're NOT going to do what I think you're going to do?" He demanded, looking over at Kai, who only let out a slow breath, and shifted to first gear.

~

Tyson just looked at Max.

"This is KAI we're talking about." Max laughed.

"Good point."

~

Rei closed his eyes as the car surged forward, hearing bullets going off and the sound of metal squealing. He found himself praying, his fingers clutching his thighs. Then a searing pain ripped through his shoulder.


Kai grit his teeth, swearing mentally as he realized the car would need a new paint job before they turned it in, and he wasn't sure if they had time for that.

As they turned onto the road, only one police car in pursuit of them now, Kai picked up the sound of ragged breathing, and scented the smell of blood. Looking to the side, he saw Rei was clutching his chest just beside his right shoulder, and blood was running through his fingers quickly.

"Shit." He cursed, starting to slow down.

"Don't!" Rei gasped, surprising Kai. "I'm fine. Don't stop." Frowning, Kai floored it again, cursing again as the cop managed to stay on their tail.

"Damn it! I can't lose him!"

"Give me the gun." Kai turned to the injured boy.

"There is no way you can shoot." Rei turned, glaring at him.

"Just give me the damn gun, Kai!" Sighing, Kai pulled out his Colt and handed it to Rei.


Biting down on his lip, Rei pulled his shirt off after a slight struggle, tying his injured arm in a tight sling, then turned around, still having trouble breathing, and leaned out the window, glaring at the cop car as he took aim.


Kai watched nervously, his stomach dropping at the sight of blood pouring slowly down Rei's back and arm.

"Jesus, Rei, you're going to bleed to death! Get back in!"

"Just shut up and drive." Was the calm reply. As Kai watched in amazment, Rei managed to blow out both front tires of the car, and land a shot in the hood that had the cop diving out a few seconds after he stopped, not wanting to stay around to se if it blew up or not.


Pulling back inside the car, Rei looked down at his arm, wincing as pain screamed through his entire chest. He had no use in his entire right arm. He closed his eyes, letting out a slow breath.

"Let's get this car to the garage, then take you to the hospital."

"No." The raven haired boy answered. Kai growled.

"Rei, if you don't get that looked at-"

"Kai, goddamnit, I am FINISHING this!!" He looked over at the other teen. "I can drive with one hand. Let's drop this car off, then go and get the other two." Kai shook his head.

"I got a bad feeling about this." Rei smirked slightly, closing his eyes again.

"Hope your boss doesn't mind blood in his car." Kai smirked as well.

"I've turned in cars that have had worse on their seats. I just tell him that's the way it was when I boosted it."

The other three walked out as they heared the Shelby drive in, and panic flooded through the whole group as Rei all but fell out of the car.

"What happened?!" Max demanded as Tyson and Kenny helped Rei up.

"Cops. Get Rei to a hospital. I'll get the other cars."

"No. I'm going with you."

"Kai, there's no way you'll be able to get those two cars in less than 9 hours!" Tyson pointed out.

"I'll take care of Rei and get him to the hospital, and Tyson can go with Kai. Kenny, can you fix the damage to the Shelby?"

"I'll try, but I'm not guarenteeing anything."

"Alright. Come on, Rei." Max said, taking the boy from Tyson.

"I'm alr-"

"You're alright? You can't even stand on your own. Now let's go." Rei gave up and allowed the blond to guide him to the Jeep, while Tyson and Kai got into Kai's Grand Am.

"8 hours to go, guys! Let's get a move on!"


Kai growled, finally getting fed up.

"WHAT?!" He snapped at Tyson, who'd been smirking at him ever since they'd left 20 minutes ago. "What the hell do you want?!"

"You got it for that Rei guy, don't you?" Kai glared over at him, his red/brown eyes burning.

"What the hell are you talking about? I do not."

"Then explain the two hickeys I saw on his neck as I was helping him up." Kai felt a blush rise up on his cheeks, and hated it.

"So there's a physical attraction. Nothing more." Tyson smirked.

"Uh huh, so why were you so insistant on getting him to the hospital?"

"Let me think. Because I don't want him to die."

"Why not? He's just another street orphan."

"I'm not as cold as to not care if someone is dying. If they deserve it, hell, I'd HELP! But Rei didn't. Rei's only going after the money so he can give it to some stupid orphanage he grew up in." Tyson just grinned, folding his arms behind his head.

"Denial is the first step, Kai buddy. I saw the way you were looking at him as you guys got out." Kai growled again, glaring at the road ahead, ignoring Tyson the rest of the way.


Rei winced as he came to, opening his eyes and cringing at the sight of stark, boringly white walls.

"Fantastic..." He muttered, sitting up, then hissing and gripping his shoulder.

"Hey, take it easy." A quiet voice spoke up. Turning, Rei was surprised to find Max sitting beside his bed. "Your arm is far from healed. Lay back down."

Letting out a defeated sigh, Rei did as he was told, falling back onto the pillows so he was half sitting up.

"What are you still doing here?" Rei asked, looking over at the blond, who smiled.

"I promised Kai and Tyson that I would take care of you." Rei blinked, then looked down at his arm with a sigh.

"I don't know how I keep messing things up like this. Things were so much simpler before I met..." He trailed off, looking away.

"Kai?" Jumping, Rei turned to Max, who was grinning. "You were going to say before you met Kai, right?" Rei's blush answered his question. "Kai has been known to cause chaos wherever he goes. It's because he takes on too much at once." Max tilted his head, studying Rei for a moment, who was lost in thought. "You like him, don't you?"

Rei whipped his head around, staring at Max in shock.

"Wh-what do you mean?" Max smiled.

"You heared me. You like Kai. And as more than a friend." Rei scowled.

"Assuming is a dangerous thing."

"But dangerous things can be fun." Max blinked. "I'd advise you to be careful around Kaim though. He doesn't exactly have a very good reputation for keeping relationships very long. I think his record is 5 days. He gets bored too easily."

Max thought for a moment. "Kai is the kind of person who enjoys the challenge of hunting down a partner. Once they're caught, the excitement for him usually ends. Kai needs someone who's as....adventurous as he is. Someone who enjoys taking severe risks. He lives on adrenaline."


Kai muttered to himself as he followed Tyson, who was currently in a Lambraghini Diablo.

"Stupid, arrogant Tyson, making me think that I could actually CARE for Rei." He gripped the steering wheel tightly, glaring at the back of the car in front of him. "I don't care about ANYONE, not in that sense, anyway. I've never been in love with anyone, and I don't plan to start right now, of all times."

Kai growled, his fingernails cutting into the fabric of the steering wheel. "And even if I did, I highly doubt he'd return me feelings. I'd be wasting my time." He blew out a long breath, closing his eyes for a moment. "Rei's got enough problems to worry about. The last thing he needs to hear is that the great Kai is crushing on him, which I'm NOT!"

"Sure you're not, Great Kai." A voice crackled suddenly, laughing. Jumping, Kai almost swerved off the road.

"What the fu-Tyson?!"

"That's right! Next time you plan to have a monologue, turn off your CB radio, bud. Good thing you were on a private channel!" Kai snarled, whipping the mic to the floor and turning off the radio.

//Aw, is poor Kai upset?// Kai groaned.

<Oh, not you again.> He hissed to the ever present voice in his head.

//Yep! I'm back! Now about this sexy boy who's been on your mind these past couple of days...//

<Don't you start on me too!>

//I particularily like the fantasy you had a few days ago. You know, the one with Rei handcuffed face down to the be-//

<SHUT UP!! I'M TRYING TO DRIVE HERE!!>

//Oooh, I think you like that one too!// Kai growled.

<Look, why don't you go back to wherever you disappeared to? I was enjoying it when you were gone.>

//Aww, but I just got here!//

<Get. Lost.>

//Nah, I think I'll stick around. I'd like to see how you handle things with your current infactuation. You haven't thought this much about someone before.//


"You know, Kai will probably kill me for telling you this, but he was in an institute a while ago." Rei bolted up.

"What? What for?"

"You swear you won't tell anyone? Not even Tyson and Chief know."

"You can trust me, you know." Max nodded.

"Kai once claimed that there was someone else in his head; a voice that would talk to him. He said that's why he was constantly stealing cars, because the voice was telling him to. No one believed him of course, and they sent him to a mental facility for a year and 3 months."

Max sighed. "But I think he was telling the truth. I saw him alone a few times. He talked to himself a lot, mostly arguing, and was rubbing at his temples. He even tried to kill himself once. When they asked him why, he said he was getting sick of hearing the voice." Rei blinked rapidly for a moment, proccessing all of this at once.


Kai let out a long sigh as he sat inside the Grand Am, thankful this was the last car to lift. The moment he pulled into the storage room they were using, however, all the thankfulness flooded out of him in a wave of shock.

Everything was gone, all the cars they'd boosted, their own vehicals, even Kenny had disappeared.

"The hell?! What's going on!!?" He demanded as Tyson stepped up beside him. Tyson frowned.

"Well, judging from the broken lock on the side, and the skid marks leading out, I'd say someone just stole our shipment."



A/N: Uh.................oh..............they's in trouble now!!!!!