Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Depending on a Stranger ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Evana smirked as she turned back to Rei, Kai still pinned down.

"Now then, about my compensation..." Kai grew anxious at these words. Just what was she planning? His question was answered as one of the men holding Rei pulled off the boy's shirt, and the flash of a knife was seen.

Quickly catching on to what was about to happen, Kai surged forward a few feet, fury raw within him.

"You barbaric wench!" He yelled, struggling to get to his feet as Rei kneeled there, eyes closed and head hung, breathing heavily, his bandages slowly falling off. "You're not going to do what I THINK you're going to, are you?!" Evana smirked, watching as the knife disappeared behind Rei, and the black haired boy snapped out of his stupor, eyes flying open wide with a wretched yell of pain.

"That depends. What do you think I'm going to do?"

Kai growled, yanking on one of his arms. "Evana! Stop it!" His demand went unheeded as Rei continued to writhe in pain, blood slowly beginning to pool around him.


Rei clenched his eyes shut as the feeling of the razor edged steel peeled away layers upon layers of his flesh. His entire body was trembling with the agony. He was dimly aware of the grip on his arms tightening, no that it mattered. The boy barely had enough energy to lift his head, let alone attempt at an escape.

He thought he heard Kai yelling at Evana, but it was impossible to tell; all his senses were being clouded over as the pain slowly took hold of him. He was close to fainting, he knew he was. Rei just wished he would already. He'd give anything to stop the pain.

Feeling the knife delve deeper into his back, another gasp was wrenched from his throat, and he fought the urge to throw up as he heard the sound of pieces of his own back hitting the floor. All coherant thought ceased at this moment, as his mind was unable to grasp at anything but the unbearable pain rippling through him with every passing second.


The torture session was suddenly put on hold as a large crash sounded outside, the entire room shaking from the massive impact.

"That had BETTER not have been one of my cars crashing." Evana hissed, stalking out of the room. "You and you! Watch them! The rest of you, come with me." Kai got to his feet as the weight on his shoulders disappeared, and ran over to Rei as the boy collapsed.

"Jesus, Rei, are you alright?!" A groan and a failed attempt to get up was the boy's answer. Biting his lip, Kai looked over at the boy's back, and had to hold back a shudder. In two or three places, a good foot long gouge was carved an inch deep into Rei's back, and they were all bleeding. Badly. "Dear gods..." Kai winced at a second crash,causing the room to shake again.

Watching the remaining two guards abandon their posts at the impact and leaving the two of them alone, Kai pulled off the blood soaked bandages, salvaging what he could, and pulling off his shirt to shred into makeshift bandages, wrapping the Asian boy's back as well as possible, looking around to keep an eye out for Evana and her men.

He helped the boy sit up, and lifted Rei's chin so their eyes met. "Rei, I need you to stay here alright? I'm going to try to find a way out of here. Stay still, and wait here." Before he could stand, though, Rei's hand clasped his weakly. Kai looked down at him in confusion. "What's wrong?" The raven teen forced himself to his knees, then, with Kai's help, to his feet.

"I don't want to stay in this room alone." He explained, taking a step away and stumbling, the blood loss sending the room into a spiral. He ended up collapsing against Kai. Sighing, the slate haired boy took Rei's arm over his shoulder, minding his back and starting out of the room.

Hearing footsteps approaching the two of them, he cursed, fighting to get his gun free, and aimed it at the corner the footsteps were coming from, his hand trembling slightly. If that was Evana returning, then they were both dead. Kai couldn't defend them with only one arm available, and he refused to put Rei down.

Holding his injured friend closely, he prepared for a fight as the footsteps grew louder, and the sound of arguing voices could be heard. Relief flooded through the booster as he saw his three friends come around the corner.

"Jesus, Kai! Is this how you thank us saving your sorry ass? By blowing our heads off?" Tyson joked, though he could tell the boy was spooked, whether from the near death experience just had, or the idea of being in this place, Kai wasn't sure of. Max came over and took Rei from Kai.

"Take him back to the hospital, I have some unfinished buisness to take care of." Kai informed them as he left.

"Kai, wait!" The teen didn't respond to Rei as he disappeared around a corner, and he hung his head as Max and Tyson helped him outside.


Kai opened a door, gun raised, and relaxed slightly as he saw it was empty. Picking up the smell of the heavy purfume that Evana adored, he growled slightly, passing through the room and stepping quietly over to another door. Moving slowly so no creaking would give him away, he slowly turned the knob, and nudged the door open with his foot, leaning inside to look around.

Just as he did, a door to the side of his shut, and he knew he was catching up to her. Quickly stepping into the room, he threw open the other door and aimed.

"Holy SHIT! Jesus, man, can't I get some privacy?!" A guy demanded, glaring up at Kai from where he lay on top of a half naked woman. Kai blinked, then raised an eyebrow, the gun still aimed at the couple who'd been obviously caught on their break.

"Where's Evana?" He demanded quietly.The guy scoffed.

"Like I'm telling you." Kai's eyes narrowed slightly, and the gun moved a little, now aimed at the guy's crotch. The poor men went ino hysterics, the woman beneath of him rolling her eyes.

"In there! She went in there!" He yelped, pointing to a door beside their bed. Ignoring the suggestive looks he was getting from the woman, Kai strided over to the door, being sure to shoot a bullet into the wall just beside the guy's head, just to spook him a little.

Stepping inside and kicking the door shut, he glared at the tall woman who was at the other end of the room, her back to him. Lifting his gun once more, he took aim at her head.

"You." He hissed out. To his minimal surprise, she chuckled.

"So you've found me. Now what? you're going to shoot me with that pathetic toy?"As she said this, she turned around, snapping out a whip that struck Kai's hands, knocking the gun away. Kai bit back a wince, rubbing his hand and glaring at her as she coiled up the long, leather whip again. "Ah, Kai. Don't you know by now that only fools are heros?" He didn't answer. She chuckled again, a sound Kai was beginning to hate very much. "I don't see why you're even bothering to try and defend Rei. It's not like he likes you or anything. In fact," She started towards him. "He hates your very existance."

"And what makes you think that?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Why? Well, because you're rich. He hates all rich people. And with good reason. It was rich people that put him out on the street in the first place." She smirked, circling Kai. "When his mother was still pregnant with him, she was kicked out of her home by his very own father. You see, his mother was nothing but a prostitute, while his father was a high class buisness tycoon who'd knocked her up by accident. And he couldn't have his reputation soiled by letting people find out he'd gone to a brothel house, so he abandoned the two of them. She TRIED to convince him to take her in, to support her child, but his reputation and money were more important to him then his own child. When Rei found this out, he was devastated, and vowed to never get mixed up with rich people again."

She smirked, tapping his cheek with her finger. "So you see, you and Rei have no hope of being anything more then enemies. He was just using you to get the cars." Every word she'd hissed cut Kai down to the bone. Remembering the look Rei had given him when he'd first seen the place Kai lived, he had no choice but to believe her; Rei had supplied him with too much proof not to.

Evana walked away a few feet, then turned, lashing out at Kai with the whip again, ripping his cheek open. He bit his tongue to keep from yelping. He refused to show any weakness to her. She smirked. "Ah, a tough one." And struck out at him again.This time, Kai caught the bullwhip around his arm, but was yanked forward, falling to his knees in front of her when she hauled her whip back. "Now honey, you should know I'm stronger then I look? How else could I have killed your parents?" Kai stiffened, looking up at her in shock.

"Wh...." She just nodded, that icy smile in place.

"That's right. Your mother was wandering around my place a bit too much, stealing stuff like the petty thief she was. I got sick of losing valuable items, so I had her shot. Of course your father didn't stand for this and came here thirsting for revenge. I had him shot five times, then hung by his feet until he bled to death." Fury clouded common sense, and Kai found himself tackling Evana, pinning the young woman to the ground, his callused hands around her throat. She struggled for a moment, then managed to flip over, wrapping the whip around Kai's throat and tightening it painfully, glaring down at the struggling youth as she wiped a line of blood off her chin.

Kai grit his teeth, fighting to loosen the leather that was cutting off the blood and oxygen he needed. She smirked cruelly down at him. "That's right, struggle. Struggle to survive just like your father did... You know? I didn't think anyone could ever be more pathetic then Rei. Looks like you just proved me wrong." Her other hand pinning Kai's wrist to the ground, she smirked, watching Kai's eyes start to dim, pressing her knees into his chest to hinder his breathing even more.

Evana grinned, pulling a gun out of her belt, pressing it to Kai's damp forehead. "Don't worry, I'll be sure to send your precious boytoy after you so you two can fight for all eternity in hell." She hissed out, pressing a gentle kiss to his lips before tightening her hold on the gun. "Ta."

"EVANA!" Looking up in surprise, she blinked as she saw Rei standing at the door, blood pooling around him quickly, barely able to stand on his own feet, a gun clenched in his good hand, his shoulder still out of use from the bullet earlier. Just as she opened her mouth to speak, Rei's gun went off, hitting her in the left shoulder, his aim being off slightly due to the trembling.

Kai gasped for air as the whip loosened at last, rolling onto his side and coughing. Evana winced, then grabbed hold of her gun again only to have her hand earn a bullet through the fingers. Apparantly Rei's aim was improving. Yelping slightly, she crawled backwards, then stumbled to her feet, bolting for the exit. However, she hadn't gotten five feet when Rei's gun went off repeatedly, every single shot hitting it's mark. Evana fell, and didn't get up.

Rei continued to pull the trigger, even as the bullets ran out. The hollow clicking, Kai's ragged breathing, and the steady drip of blood was the only sound heard in the room.

Kai looked over at the still trembling boy, who seemed to be in a trance. Getting to his feet, he gently took hold of the gun and lowered it, taking it away from Rei's now limp hand, noting that it was his.

"Rei? Are you alright?" The suddenly frail looking teen turned to Kai, then his eyes rolled into the back of his head and he collapsed. Kai managed to catch the spent thief just as he heard the sound of sirens pulling in, and quickly decided it was time to leave.


~Three Days Later~

Rei sat in front of the TV at Kai's place as Kai changed his bandages, watching a news report on the death of Evana.

"Sources say they are unable to pinpoint exactly who is responsible for the death of Evana Alertain and her crew, but we are told it was most likely an argument with one of the car booster's clients, as there were countless vehicles found in a storage room a ways away from the gruesome scene."

"Countless? Just how many cars did you steal, Tyson?" Kai demanded as he began layering fresh bandages over the slowly healing wounds adorning Rei's back.

The blue haired teen snickered slightly from where he and Max were racing on a Playstation 2.

"Well, counting the cars you and Rei stole when not making out?" Rei blushed at this. "55."

"What?!" The others just laughed and Kai shook his head."Overachiever..." He frowned slightly as he continued working on Rei's back. "Hey, Rei, you remember what Evana said? about, you hating all rich people?" The boy nodded.

"Yes, and I do." Kai felt his heart begin to break. To his surprise, the raven haired thief-turned-booster quickly turned and pressed a passionate kiss to Kai's mouth, pulling away for a moment to gasp out quietly, "But I don't consider you a rich person, I consider you a street kid who got damn good at making money." Kai smirked slightly, and, that said, the two of them began a heated makeout session that had the others rolling their eyes until the phone rang. Seeing Kai was a little busy, Tyson answered it.

"Hello?" After a moment, he grinned slightly. "Nice job, Kenny, we'll get right on that. When's our deadline?" After a moment, he hung the phone up, looking over at the two on the couch. "Hey guys! Save it for later!" The two looked up at him, Rei grinning sheepishly and Kai growling in frustration.

"Why the hell should we?" Tyson smirked.

"Because Kenny just called to say that the guys Rei was trying to get a garage off of just finished, and it's all set and waiting for us. One catch though." A glint ran through Tyson's eyes. "They want 15 Mercedes Benz by midnight tonight in return." The othe three boys jsut laughed, all of them making a beeline for their cars, even Rei, who convinced Kai he would take it easy. Yeah, right...