Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Humans and Beasts ❯ Chapter 4: The Journey Begins ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Humans and Beasts

Chapter 5: The Journey Begins

"There it is! I see it! I told you I would find it!"

Tyson punched his fist lightly into Kai's shoulder as the young boy ran ahead of the small group, stopping at the top of a green hill surrounded by a field of cornstalks. In front of them, they stared up at two tall dark towers which were surrounded by equally dark stone walls on all sides.

"Yes, you're very smart, shut up."

Kai grumbled, as he caught up and stood near to the other boy. Then they started their way toward the dark kingdom, while a little ways behind, Max stopped, frozen in his tracks as if he was afraid to go near the kingdom. Tyson at that time noticed that his blonde companion wasn't with him laughing as usual. He turned around and ran back to his new friend's side, draping his arm around Max's shoulders.

"Hey Max, why so down all of a sudden?"

Max kept his eyes to his feet, trying not to look at the eccentric boy. When he finally found the courage, Max placed his normal big smile on his face and looked up.

"It's nothing Tyson. Come on Kai's getting away from us again."

With that, the two now enthusiastic boys ran down through the corn field toward the entrance to the kingdom, passing a glaring Kai and up to the front gates. Kai approached soon after and noticed that there was lettering embedded in the stone walls above the tall doors, Balcov Castle. Kai narrowed his gaze as if the words struck a nerve and he was trying to remember them, but he quickly shook it off and pushed open the doors and went inside followed by the curious two right behind him.

"Come on." Kai said gruffly, indicating to the tall and equally dark castle ahead of them.

Kai and Tyson started toward the large castle, however, Max stayed behind. Looking around quickly, he spotted something and smiled and ran toward it, away from the other two.

"Bye you guys, I'll meet up with you later! I just have to do something!" Max shouted, as he turned a corner into a near alley.

The other two just stared, bewildered at where the blonde had just disappeared, but soon brushed it off and continued their path.

Soon they neared the entrance of the castle; however, it was also heavily guarded with five guards surrounding the doors and front stone steps. Kai just stood there pondering silently for the moment, then a sound came to his senses and he abruptly turned to the right and walked off leaving a confused Tyson. "Hey Kai! Why don't we just push our way through the front door?" the boy shouted, scratching the temple under his dark blue hair. Kai didn't answer; only rolling his eyes, he grabbed the back Tyson's clothed back and forcefully dragged him along as Kai, himself, continued his alternate path.

Ducking behind some thick bushes, the boys noticed three people standing in a clearing, a boy with lilac-colored hair, another with fiery red hair, and a girl with deep red hair. Quietly, Kai listened but the three were too far out of range to hear. However, as Kai stared on he couldn’t help but look at the boy with wild red hair, the sparkle in those blue eyes seemed so familiar, but Tyson, with his usual big mouth, broke into Kai’s thoughts whispering loudly, “There, that’s prince Tala!” Kai pushed the boy down into the bushes, but it was too late. The lilac haired boy jumped between the so called prince Tala and the thick brush. “Come out of there, now!” the boy stated firmly, gripping his hand to the sword at his side, shouting angrily, “Who are you?”

Realizing there was nowhere to run Kai stood up silently, with Tyson peaking his head over the top of the bushes behind the other. Kai just stared at him, emotionless as usual, “Hn; looks like someone missed anger management class.” The other boy growled and was about to charge at Kai but was stopped by arms wrapping around his shoulders. “Bryan! Stop it!” Hiromi shouted, and then releasing Bryan she turned to the two intruders, trying to keep her tongue on an even keel. “Just tell us, what are you doing here?”

Kai remained his calm state, glaring at the trio, “I’m looking for the one called Tala.” He said plainly. Then, the fiery red head stepped forward at the sound of his name. “I am Prince Tala. What is it you want with me?” Kai just shifted his glare solely to Tala, “You’re the one who dumped all those beast kids onto my land, and I want them off NOW!”

Tala pondered for a moment and saw the look of determination in the boy’s eyes. Just then, he saw something else, and was startled. “You’re the Phoenix Dranzer!” Kai looked at Tala, “Yeah. So...” “So why do you want to get rid of your own kind?” Kai cringed, “They are not my kind. I have no family.” Tala looked at the phoenix boy and saw something so familiar but could not put his finger on it, suddenly he got an idea. “What’s your name first?”

Kai looked at the red head prince curiously, “The name’s Kai.” Tala wondered why that name seemed familiar but brushed it off and spoke smoothly, “Ok, Kai, I’ll make you deal. You go on this little quest, and I’ll give you your land back, free of all spirit beasts.” Kai eyed him than sighed in defeat, “What kind of quest?”

“So, wait. You’re actually going to do this stupid thing...err quest?” Tyson asked as him and Kai walked away from the palace. Kai didn’t answer, which gave the opening for Tyson to continue talking. “So, let me get this straight. You have to go inside a deep cave or something at the edge of the world, fight a dragon, and rescue a princess. All that just so Tala will give you back the mountains.” When Kai didn’t even look at him, Tyson sighed, “I don’t get it, why didn’t you just transform and force your way through.” Kai cringed at Tyson’s words and stopped. “Because, I can’t control what Dranzer does. Unlike you and Dragoon, Dranzer has a mind and thirst for something more, blood, and he wouldn’t stop until no one is left.”

Tyson gulped and shut his mouth, but continue to talk in his thoughts, “Geez, remind me, never to get on Kai’s bad side.” Just then, another voice although lower appeared next to Tyson in his thoughts.

/ Don’t worry about Kai; it’s the phoenix that is more deadly. /

“What are you talking about Dragoon?”

/ Boy, are you dense! But, I guess I’m stuck with you. /

“You think I’m dense? I’m not the one talking in riddles.”

With that, Dragoon fell silent and Tyson was suddenly back in reality. The two boys were standing in front of a small pub, above was a wooden sign blowing with the wind. The letters carved in it were called ‘The Soaring Stallion’. They went inside with nothing better to do and Tyson forcibly pushed himself to follow Kai to a table in the back. However, before they got there a hand was placed on Tyson shoulder making him jump and squeal, and startling Kai in front of him. They turned and came faced with the same blonde boy from before.

“Max!” Tyson yelled throwing his arms around the younger boy in a hug, “What are you doing here?”

Struggling from the dragon boy’s grip, Max just smiled widely, “This is where I live, or used to live.” With his words, an older woman with the same blond hair as Max stepped up behind him.

“Why Max, aren’t you going to introduce your new friends to me?”

Max looked at her then back again. “Oh, sorry, guys this is my mom. Mom this is Tyson and Kai.” He said gesturing to each boy. Max’s mother looked at each boy intently then spoke rather smoothly and softly, “So you two have spirit beasts as well. Right?” Tyson nodded while Kai just ignored her. The woman just smiled, and set a tray of three drinks on the back table and left the boys to talk.

“So, your family owns this place?” Tyson contemplated making sense of Max’s words.

“Yeah, sorry I left earlier but I just had to see my mom again. Also, I had to see...” Max stopped and tears could be seen in his eyes.

“Hey Max what’s wrong?” Tyson inquired by putting his arm around the boy’s shoulders.

“It’s nothing, it’s just my friend, her name is Kira; she went missing a few weeks after I was sent to exile.”

“Maybe she was sent to exile too.”

“No,” Max shook his head, “They never caught her. Mom says they almost did but she escaped the kingdom, but, she hasn’t been back since.”

As Kai finished his drink, without giving a thought to the other two, he stood up and began to head toward the door, but was slowed by sudden shouting. “Hey Kai, wait up for us!” Tyson shouted out. “Guess what? I decided Max should come with us. Who knows? Maybe we’ll find his friend.” Kai just glared at the boys and turned around and stalked toward the entrance, followed by the others.

After walking for a while Tyson and Max were starting to complain and Kai was having a hard time ignoring them any longer. They soon entered a wide open meadow beyond the green forest. Before they could blink, a huge white tiger bounded up to them growling and bearing his fangs, as if warning them to leave. Tyson and Max shriveled behind Kai, who just stood motionless trying to stare down the tiger. After a while, when the tiger wouldn’t budge, Kai got bored and his dark mahogany eyes suddenly started to glow bright red, but the tiger just growled even more as it knew what was coming.

Before anyone could make another motion, a soft voice flew over the meadow. “Rei, Stop! I’m sure they don’t mean any harm!” Everyone’s head turned to see a young girl running over a hill toward them. Sunlit golden hair trailed down to her mid-back, and blowing with the wind as she ran, she wore long light blue skirt, nearly see-through, and a matching blue blouse that hung off her body very loosely. The other three boys looked back to the tiger, only to find it had vanished, and in its place stood a boy of their age, with unnaturally long black hair to his knees, tied back in a flowing ponytail, and as he turned to face the group they saw bright golden eyes. He wore similar tunic robes as the other boys, only his was an immaculate white color with dark navy blue trim around the edges. As the girl approached the black haired boy, who was named Rei, Tyson and Max got out from behind Kai, trying to act as if they weren’t scared. Rei spoke first, smiling politely.

“Sorry, I scared you, it’s just we been on edge a lot since they started capturing people with scared beasts. This is Laura by the way, and my name’s Rei.”

“Hey not a problem, I know what’s its like running.” Tyson laughed.

Max looked back and forth in each of Rei and the Laura’s eyes, “Are you a scared beast also?” he directed towards the girl.

She only smiled back, “Yes I am; in fact our whole tribe is.” She then looked back into their tired eyes, “You all look tired; why don’t come to our village and have something to eat.”

Suddenly, she felt of nudge at her right shoulder and saw Rei looking her sternly, but she only glared back and motioned his attention at the boy’s eyes and convinced them they were the same, and Rei eventually agreed, and offered an idea.

“Yeah, and if any of you are too tired, we are able to carry you.”

Kai, after looking so stern during his confrontation with the tiger, was wide-eyed surprised and he assumed what he heard. “You can control your sacred beasts?!”

Rei and the Laura looked at him then to each other smiling then both their bodies started to glow brightly, nearly blinding the others. When the boys finally removed their hands from covering their vision, there in front of them stood again the majestic white tiger from before and standing next to it was a beautiful white snow leopard. Before Kai could refuse and walk on his own, Tyson and Max ran in front of him and crawled up onto the leopard while Kai, himself was picked up from behind by the tiger and taken completely by surprise.

The two cats ran through the seemingly endless field, as the forest that once surrounded them were now no where in site, when eventually they all caught site of smoke puffs rising above the horizon, coming from a small village made of three little huts, however it was abandoned, yet it still looked like a home, warm.

As the two creatures began to near the village and slow down to a stop, another young girl came out of one of the shelters to greet them. She was very beautiful, tanned skin and long wavy light brown hair with blonde streaks. She was medium height with a figure any guy could fall in love with. She wore short tight black skirt and a white tank top, which had a cat’s head design on the front and four black claw slashes on the back. Around her neck, hung a sterling silver pendant, with the picture of ancient beast. The boys hopped off the feline, while they too said “hi” to the new girl.

“Hello, welcome my name is Molly.”

During the introductions, the leopard and tiger turned back to their humans, and fell to the ground slightly exhausted. Molly, seeing them fall, suddenly ran over to them to help them up.

“Rei, Laura, you know shouldn’t be in beast form that long. It tires you out!”

“Sorry.” The two both said in unison. “We’ll be fine Molly, could you see to the others?” Rei asked as he helped Laura stand. Molly nodded, and headed back over to the other boys motioning them all into one of the shelters. Rei and Laura soon followed, but as they were about to open the flap on the door, Rei felt a firm hand on his shoulder. He turned around and saw mahogany eyes glare at him with a little confusion. Rei understood and motioned for Laura to go on ahead of him. When she disappeared inside, Kai was the first to speak.

“Can you or can you not control your beasts? Who are you?”

Rei kept a steady gaze with slightly saddened golden orbs. “It’s true that we can control when we transform, it’s just we can’t control what the beasts do once their unleashed. It takes a lot of energy. Everyone in my village contained a beast spirit, we were able to stay isolated from ordinary humans, but eventually the humans found us and either captured or killed everyone, except me. I was the only survivor.” “What about them?” Kai asked indicating the other girls. Rei continued, “Molly came to village earlier and we became great friends, helping each other. She lost her family when she was very young and she was on her own. She stumbled upon on our village one day and she has been here ever since. It was actually thanks to her that we were able to escape from the humans. She too has a beast spirit, a black Lynx. Of course, she’s older and she sort of protects me and Laura. We found Laura later on and we took care of her, she was found badly hurt among burnt remains of another isolated village.” Kai eyed Rei closely, and came to a conclusion.

“You love Laura don’t you?”

Rei looked up quickly and flushed averting his eyes. Kai just smirked and brushed past the black-haired boy, entering into the thatched hunt, leaving Rei alone to follow behind.

All six of the people were sitting around inside the cozy hunt. Fur and leather quilts covered the sides and the floor where they sat. Everyone talked and laughed about meaningless things, where they came from, and how they came to get here? Each person told their own stories.

After all the talk was over, and everyone was stuffed with food to their fill, and they had to drag Tyson out after he had collapsed from eating so much, they all said goodbye to each other. Kai, Max, and Tyson, were about to leave when Rei and Laura and Molly ran up to them.

“Could we come with you? We can help you!” Laura shouted, grasping on to Rei’s hand as they ran. Kai just glared and continued his way, but Tyson and Max stopped and looked gleeful. “Sure you can join the more the merrier!” Rei then caught Kai’s eye, “Are you sure you leader is ok with us?” Tyson just looked at Kai and shrugged. “I’m sure it won’t bother Mr. Sourpuss Phoenix’s mood.” Rei and Laura’s faces brightened up as they joined the group on their journey, hugged goodbye to Molly, who had convinced the two felines that she would look out for their home while they were gone, and made Rei promise not to worry. As they watched Molly disappear, they could see her transform, and as the group passed a nearby cliff, a beautiful black lynx stood proudly on the edge roaring loudly to wish the best of luck to her friends, the travelers, for safety on the tough road ahead.

I hope you liked that! Again I am so sorry for not having this up sooner, being like I said before things have been hectic here, and also I found this really cool site on

Author note: (Ruth-4-kai): thank you for reviewing and I hope to get Hiromi in more scenes later on.

(GOLD-CAT-EYES): First of all, I like your stories, really, and second, I am sorry that Molly didn’t have a big part; maybe I can sneak her in sometime later. Maybe! I might surprise myself, it is possible. Again thank you for submitting her, she is great.