Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Humans and Beasts ❯ Chapter 9: Reoccurring Dream ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I would like to dedicate this chapter to my only reviewer as of recently. Thank you, Kara; your comments have been a great inspiration to my writing. Humans and Beasts Chapter 9: Reoccurring Dream

He stood in a beautiful orchard, his wild blue hair blowing against a peaceful breeze. Stretching for miles farther than the eye can see. Fruitful cherry blossom trees surround him. Their white blossoms fall like snow to the ground, scattering at his feet.

His red eyes widen in surprise as he sees a beautiful woman appear in front of him. He could not see her face, for it was obscured by the branches and the light from around them. Suddenly, the light gotten brighter, and everything around him vanished. All that remained was the woman, face still unseen, surrounded by three cherry blossom trees. He was startled when one tree suddenly burst and was set ablaze. Each branch being engulfed, burning the once white petals to black ash.

As he stared at the burning tree, the second tree crackled making him turn to see it too being engulfed, this time by blue flames. However, the fire was dull, barely reaching beyond the trunk. It was as if both the fire and the tree were slowly dying, holding onto a last dwindling hope.

Just then, the third tree erupted, only this time its leaves had begun to freeze, quickly it spread to the branches, than the trunk and down to its roots. Icicles dripped off from the petals like crystalline stalactites.

Red eyes turned back to the woman only to see her standing among the trees a warm, loving smile on her face. Her hand stretched out to him. Her ice blue eyes twinkled. Red eyes widened. He knew her! Stretching his hand to hers, he reached, wanting to feel the warmth and safety her smile emitted. He stepped forward, coming closer to her until he stood just in front of her. She smiled, though bright light still concealed her features, her crystalline eyes glowed as she held her hand to him. Just as he placed his hand in her palm, two more hands joined his own!

Tala bolted up in bed, breathing heavily, and eyes wide. Sweat dripped from his skin, soaking the silk sheets. Blue eyes looked up as the double doors to his room quickly glided open and Hiromi rushed in. She leaned over the bed and tentatively touched his shoulder. “Tala, are you alright?â€

Ice blue eyes slowly adjusted to the moonlit darkness of his bedroom. His vision soon focused to Hiromi next to him. “What are you doing here?†The tears that fogged his vision also clogged his calm, regal voice; Hiromi could tell he was trying to push them away. The prince always felt he had to act tough.

Hiromi stifled a giggle, “I could hear you. The…walls have ears you know.â€

Silence followed and quickly enveloped the air. Hiromi gently smoothed her hand across red hair. “You had that dream again, didn’t you?†The question was more of a statement and laced with endless concern.

“It’s nothing. I’ll handle it by myself. Besides it’s just stupid dream.†Tala turned away from her caress, his heart however, pounded inside his chest.

“Tala, why can’t you tell us about the dream? You’ve been like this every night.â€

“You said it yourself, Hiromi,†His blue eyes still couldn’t face her as they stared in his lap. “The walls have ears. I don’t want grandfather finding out.â€

Hiromi could hear the fear in his voice. Gently she placed her hand atop his own and gave it a tender squeeze. She waited in the silence until Tala settled his head back down on the soft silk pillows. Ice blue eyes slowly closed in a heavy slumber. Hiromi slowly stood from the bed, careful as to not wake the prince. Hesitantly, she blushed as she leaned over the bed, and kissed Tala’s forehead. “Goodnight, Tala.†She whispered before tip-toeing to the door, silently gliding it shut, letting herself out.

“Hiromi,†The girl turned to see Krystal Greer appear with a lantern in her hand turning the corner. Her blue hair falling lazily over her shoulders, looking as tired as she felt.

“So was I right? Was the prince having that same dream again?â€

Hiromi nodded unsurely, “I suppose, it was the same reaction as always.â€

Krystal’s mouth fell open, “You mean he didn’t tell you what the dream was about?†She crossed her arms over her chest and mumbled under her breath, “I thought for sure he would’ve let something slip to you.â€

Hiromi turned quickly with a blush, “W-what do you mean by that?â€

Krystal just playing glared at her through twinkling dark blue eyes, and gave Hiromi a couple nudges to her shoulder, making the girl blush even more. “All right, come on,†Hiromi threw her hands up, urging the other girl to stop as she changed the subject, “We should go, before he finds us wake at this hour.â€

Krystal relented, “You’re right, Lord Voltaire has got his spies everywhere.â€

With that the girls sprinted off down the hall toward their respected rooms to catch up on their sleep, ready for a new day.

Dark mahogany fluttered open. The noon golden ray reflected within them as they watched the endless horizon, surrounded by lush green forests, and sparse yet prosperous villages. Kai turned his head to side to stare into the cool gaze of sapphires.

Tanya, earlier, had noticed as she stood beside Kai on the railing that a few beads of sweat started to roll down his pale face. Tentatively, her fingers touched his arm like feathers floating brisk warm breeze.

“Do you feel alright? Do you want to sit down?†Tanya offered as she noticed him turn to face her.

Kai didn’t say anything. “It’s nothing forget it.â€

“Where are you going?

“If anyone asks; out. I’ll be back by morning and then we’ll finish this journey.†With that Kai slammed the front door closed, leaving Tanya standing in the doorway of the porch.

The princess didn’t know what to think. Was this the same gentleman who rescued her? If he was the one, she had to know more about this mysterious Kai, and she wasn’t about to just sit by and let herself be handed off like a mere possession. That was not what Tanya wanted. Clenching her fist in a stubborn grip, Tanya stepped forward to follow Kai, whether he liked it or not.

Just before she touched the door handle, another hand, wrinkled and frail from age came down upon her petite shoulder. “If you going out please take this,†Tanya turned on her heel only to be face to face with the elder woman. Looking down in her arms, she held a pretty red knitted mantilla [1. “Your skin seems frozen.†Warm thin fingers tingled against Tanya’s hands, making her shiver as she took the shawl.

The princess gave a polite bow of her head as she saw the old woman do the same, “Thank you ma’am.â€

“Please, you are friends of Kira, there is no need to be so formal. You may call me grandmother.â€

Tanya averted her gaze away from grandmother’s unfocused eyes. How can one be called a friend, if one is not truthful to those who trust her? Looking down in her arms, Tanya unfolded the warm cloth, laying it across her shoulders and draping the hood over her head. As she looked back up, Tanya saw the grandmother holding out in her hand, a small bag. Tanya was surprised as she heard a few coins jingle inside. The grandmother just smiled, “I just supposed you might get hungry; you seem starved and so skinny.â€

Blue eyes lit with confusion, “How do you know?†The grandmother just chuckled, “Let’s just say that I am able to see things that others cannot. It’s nothing special; just call it a gift from the gods for when they took my sight. Now go on and have fun. Just be sure and return this evening, I’ll have a dinner prepared for all of you.â€

Tanya gave grandmother a gracious smile and leaned into her frail arms giving the old woman a kiss before stepping outside and closing the door behind her. She tied the coin pouch to the corded rope belt that looped around her waist.

Tanya through the crowded streets as she tried to find which way Kai went, but ended up getting herself completely lost instead. Merchants shouted back and forth of who could lower their price more in order to get more customers. Mothers with children crying in their arms rushed back and forth from sale to sale, looking for the best bargain. Older men could be seen inside a distant pub near the edge of the small town, drinking and laughing to their heart’s content. Suddenly a group of small children, who couldn’t have been older than five, rushed past the lost girl, waving their little wooden swords in the air and dressed as cowboys and pirates raced off again disappearing into the crowd. Tanya giggled at this, but curiosity also struck her eye. She watched the humans with longing; trying to understand why they were doing such acts. She didn’t know, but she did want to learn. She wanted to be like them.

Tanya had at that moment wandered past a grocery store window, just missing the quick glance of a silver gaze.

Laura did a double-take but shook her thought away. She turned her attention back to the apple in her hand, feeling the red surface with her fingertips. Looking up again, she called out, “Rei,†and the raven-haired cat boy with playful golden eyes locked with hers. He deposited the bunch of carrots into the bag on his arm as he made his way over to the girl.

“Laura, are we almost done here?†Rei asked as he suppressed a small yawn.

“I think so,†Laura replied looking down, then back up again pushing the apple between the two, “Rei, do you think this is ripe?â€

Rei stared at the red fruit quizzically for the longest time, then taking it from Laura’s hand; he held it up and opened his mouth. But before he could even breathe on it, it was swiped away. “Rei,†Laura scolded him, “What do you think you were doing?!†She dropped the apple into her bag with the rest of the apples she had chosen.

Rei just smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head, “Sorry Laura, I’m just really hungry right now, that’s all.â€

Laura placed her hands to her hips and stood straight as if she was trying to stare down the boy who was three inches taller than her. “I know you are. I am too, but remember why we’re here in the first place.â€

“Right, right, Tyson ate most if not all of it, and Kira’s grandmother said when we got back, she would treat us all to a big dinner.â€

“That’s right,†Laura sighed as she dropped the apple in with the rest, “Now, is that everything from the list?†She asked Rei.

Rei slipped his hand into fur-skin pouch that was slung over his head. He studied it as Laura peeked around his shoulder.

“Yeah, that’s it for our half of the list.†Rei answered, “I wonder how the others are doing?â€

“Where did Kira say she wanted us to meet?â€

“I think…†Rei pondered a moment as he supported his weight on the four bags in his hands, “She said to meet by the Bakery area and we would pay on our way out. I just hope Tyson doesn’t delay them with all the free samples.â€

Laura wanted to smack herself, she didn’t realize about the free samples when she suggested that when they split up Kira’s group should go to the canned food section, but she could only let out a mumbled groan as she shifted her two bags in her arms, stepping with Rei to meet the others.

Tanya continued to wander around the crowded market. She sighed. It was getting late and she was still nowhere close to finding Kai. He seemed almost impossible to find in this crowd. Just then, a sliver of dark blue hair flashed at a nearby candy stand. Edging closer, a relieved smile came to her face. Finally, there he was. As she watched him, Kai seemed to be staring off into space not really looking at anything, however, just as the merchant turned away to help another valuable customer, Kai swiftly grabbed an two chocolate bars from the stand slipped them into his bag before walking away not a moment later.

Tanya gasped. Why would Kai be stealing? Didn’t he know it was wrong? Tanya squeezed past the two elderly gentlemen conversing in front of her, but too many other people were crowded around. So as politely as she could she pardoned herself, and slipped between the two men. She made it to the fruit stand but there was no sign of Kai.

“Excuse me, Miss, can I help you?â€

She turned to the seller greeting her with a kind and probably forced smile, he is mostly likely paid to be kind to his customers.

“I’m sorry.†She said in a rush. Tanya in flash dropped a few gold coins on the counter and took off in the direction she had seen Kai go earlier. Even though the merchant didn’t see Kai do anything, Tanya didn’t want to make Kai look like a thief to anyone’s eyes especially his own.

The princess pushed her way through the crowd, now she was determined to find Kai and answer her question; why?

Tanya slowed to catch her breath in front of narrow alleyway. It was dark further in and Tanya couldn’t tell if someone was there or not. Just then she heard several soft thumps, followed by crying. Afterwards, the little kids she had seen dressed as pirates and cowboys earlier came running out of the alleyway past her. They were sniffling while holding their heads. Curious, Tanya stepped into the shadows of the alley, following the kids’ path.

There was Kai! Tanya stood a little ways back not wanting to disturb Kai for he was in a quiet conversation with a little girl. Drooping puppy-like pigtails shook while hands covered her face. She was crying. She looked so small and frightfully pale all over like she could almost glow in the dark. Kai then reached into his bag and gave the girl the two chocolate candies. The little girl sniffled and looked up with big bright blue eyes. She smiled with glee as she gratefully accepted the gift.

Tanya smiled warmly at the exchange. Kai was kind. Though he did not show it in his actions, she could see the glimmer within his dark red eyes as he walked away from the girl and toward the entrance of the alleyway, where Tanya stood, still hidden in the shadows. Kai was generous and noble.

“That was very generous of you, Sir Kai.â€

Kai mentally slapped himself for not seeing that she had followed him as he jumped hearing her voice come from the darkness. Red glared at the approaching blue gaze, smiling. He let himself get so distracted that he had missed her movements completely. He didn’t even hear her footsteps, like she was floating toward him. He had to admit she did carry herself with grace, but no one could be that perfect. Tanya Kimura was a complete mystery to him.

“Whatever.†He realized he had been staring and shook his thoughts of her away.

“But do you think that can make up for stealing?â€

“What was I supposed to do? I can’t make food out of thin air.†Kai knew very well stealing was wrong. He would’ve thought of something to make up for it. He just didn’t know what.

“You could’ve asked.†Tanya smirked as she appeared in the light beside Kai, swinging the coin bag between her fingers. Kai looked at the bag with wide eyes. She had paid for him. He would’ve thought a proper princess would have turned him in. Red eyes gleamed under the sunlight. Now, he was even more determined to unravel Tanya’s mysterious air.

“Walk with me, please, Kai?†Tanya held out her hand, just as Kai did when he offered the chocolate to the little girl. Kai just stared at her. No one had asked him anything so casual. They were always afraid to be alone with him because they had looked into his eyes. Could Tanya not see Dranzer’s seal? Or has she not even looked? Maybe the latter was for the best. He turned away from the princess, but slowed his first steps.

Tanya took this as ‘yes’ and smiled. She stepped forward and reached out her hand, slipping it into Kai’s swinging them to their sides. She shivered. His hand was so warm. She squeezed lightly against his skin. She didn’t realize how cold she was that even the coldest boy could make her feel warm.

Kai nearly jumped as her ice cold fingers brushed his skin. ‘She had probably been in that cave too long.’ Kai assumed.

Stopping abruptly, Kai turned Tanya to face him once more. He placed his other hand just at her waist, whispered to the breeze, “Don’t move.†Kai let go of Tanya’s hand and held it up, cupping her cheek.

Tanya trembled. It was as if Kai was holding fresh embers in his hand against her skin. She closed her eyes for a long moment, remembering this warmth. It made her feel safe and wanted. She wanted more. Blue eyes fluttered open only to stare into deep red eyes. Though he was cold on the outside, this young noble boy held within a fire strong enough to survive even the toughest battle. Tanya believed this as she moved closer into Kai’s palm.

“Thank you.†Tanya said at last as she reluctantly pulled away and reached to hold Kai’s still warm hand. Kai looked away quickly and stayed silent as they started to walk into the crowd. “May I ask how you did that back there?†She whispered to him.

“Once you’ve trained with your beast spirit long enough, and gain their trust, they will trust you to be able to use their power for your own purpose.†Kai answered, still looking straight ahead.

The two walked on through the crowd each with their own silent thoughts. Suddenly, Tanya heard a faint rumble. She looked around but it was as though no one else noticed it. “Kai,†She whispered close to his ear, “did you hear something just a moment ago?â€

Kai didn’t answer. He didn’t even turn his head, keeping his face hidden from her. He just continued his steps on their path.

When Kai ignored her, Tanya passed it off as her imagination, after a few minutes she heard it again, only it was louder this time and more frequent. It wasn’t coming from beneath her feet so it wasn’t an earthquake. Listening closely, the sound was closer to Kai! She looked to his face, but he still kept it turned away, seemingly to look like he was looking at the signs above the shops.

It was soon confirmed to Tanya. She tried to hold back her laugh as she tugged on Kai’s arm that she was holding, stopping his footsteps and making him face her. She could see the faded red tinge across the bridge of his nose. His eyes quickly averted hers.

“You’re hungry aren’t you?†Tanya spoke

“Whatever, it doesn’t matter.†Kai answered with no tone in his voice. He didn’t care. Who was there in this world that even remotely cared about his or Dranzer’s health? The phoenix only destroyed and caused trouble, and Kai was just a boy, who didn’t even know who he was or where he belonged.

“It does too! You’re going to make yourself sick if you don’t eat once in a while!†Tanya nearly shouted, drawing Kai’s surprised gaze to meet hers, however, this time her ocean eyes darted away. Her face lit up as she turned back to Kai, gripping his hands tightly, making him look her in the eyes. “Stay here, I’ll be right back.â€

Without a second thought, Kai watched the princess dash into a quiet shop with a sign above reading, Mama’s Sweet Temptations. Something about that shop was familiar, but Kai brushed it away as a dream that he would soon forget.

It was a few minutes before Tanya re-emerged from the shop, her hands cupped around a steaming cup. She made her way back to Kai and held the cup in front of him. “Go on,†she urged him, “I was told it’s delicious.â€

Kai looked at the cup of foam. No one had ever given him anything before, he always had to take what he wanted or needed. That was how he had survived for so long. But as he looked into her sapphire eyes, something sparked within his own. He didn’t know what compelled him. Kai’s body acted on its own as his hand raised and took the cup bringing to the rim of the cup to his lips. The hot chocolate flowed over his tongue. It was very sweet. It made Kai dream again.

Within the shadows of his dreams, Kai heard a faint giggle. He followed it. There was a figure in front of him, but it was moving further away from him. Kai wanted to run after the figure but his feet were as if they were glued to the floor. The voiced giggled again. The figure was gone with only a bright light that was quickly diminishing.

Deep red eyes opened in a gasp. Kai looked around, finding himself back in the center of the small town, the princess was standing in front him; her hand covering her mouth. She was giggling.

“What’s so funny?†Kai asked curtly.

Tanya didn’t answer. She removed her hand, revealing her grin, and reached once more into her pouch. She pulled out a small white cloth. She held it up and dabbed it gently around Kai’s mouth.

“You had some foam from the drink around your mouth. It looked like you had a white moustache.†She added as her giggles slowly subsided. As Tanya wiped away the foam, the red tinge burned across Kai’s cheeks. He felt this and quickly turned away. “Let’s go, it’s getting late.â€

“But I want to walk around some more. There’s still a few more hours until sunset.†Tanya whined as she took hold of his hand again, and this time she led him through the crowd.

The princess pulled Kai through the passing shouting pedestrians. Kai glanced at her hand clutching his arm. It was trembling, but when Kai glanced up again, it was like Tanya didn’t feel anything, a wide grin still on her face. Her skin felt cold, but that didn’t make sense. He gave her some of Dranzer’s fire. That should have kept her body warm. Suddenly, a strange chill surged through his body. Kai looked to see that Tanya had let go his hand and rushed off. Obviously, something caught her attention. He looked around but the princess had already disappeared among the noisy, bustling crowds. Kai tried to pick up Tanya’s scent but couldn’t. It was like she didn’t have one, like she didn’t even have one, like Tanya didn’t even exist! But how could that be?! He had seen her smile, heard her sweet laugh. He talked with her. Her touched her, held her hand. Of course she was real!

Red darted across the market square, blue hair shook from side to side, falling in front of his eyes. Kai pushed past a young couple, the young man handed the girl a red rose before she jumped into his arms wrapping her arms around his neck. Kai slipped by a young mother berated her young twin sons for running off while she was busy haggling prices for the family’s groceries.

Kai halted in his steps and sighed in relief. Just beyond an elderly couple sharing a sweet kiss, there was Tanya. Her hands were plastered against the window, like an excited little child, of a quiet bookstore.

He walked up behind her and placed a hand on her shoulder. Tanya jumped, startled as she turned around. She sighed in relief that it was only Kai. Her grin returned as she pointed beyond the window.

“Kai what’s that book called?â€

Kai looked in the window and saw a small book. Its cover was as red as Dranzer’s fire. Gold embroidery decorated the letters of the title. The binding looked like it was made from Dranzer’s smooth feathers.

“It’s book a poems, that’s all, can’t you read?†Kai said plainly, but wanted to take it back as he saw the confused look across her face.

“What do you mean by ‘read’?â€

âS 64;œYou can’t read?†Kai asked incredulously.

“Can you?†Tanya returned the question, her eyes eager for an answer.

Kai sighed, “A little. Someone taught me a long time ago.â€

“Teach me, please!†Tanya gripped, her sapphire eyes pleading.

For some reason, Kai just couldn’t refuse her plea. He gave a small smile and nodded his head. This made Tanya beam with excitement. Just as she had done at the sweet shop she came back out with the small red book clutched in her hands. She held up to him.

“What does it say, Kai?â€

“ It says Feathers of Legend.†Kai read and almost choked on his drink. Was it a mere coincidence? The one thing he remembered someone told him was that nothing ever happened without a reason.

Tanya, however, was beaming with excitement, like a child given its first Christmas present. Once again, Tanya gripped Kai’s arm and pulled them away, once more into the crowd. Kai had to admire the princess for her speed. She was incredible, they graceful way she moved through the groups of people, without even touching them.

Soon they found themselves standing on the edge of a small park, overlooking the river that flowed along the town’s border. Tanya urged Kai forward to the bank of the river where they took off their shoes, letting their sore feet soak in the cool water. Tanya took the book and placed on Kai’s lap, eager to start learning all Kai could teach her.

Kai had to smile at her persistence and willingness to learn. Though he did wonder, as he opened the cover of the old book, what was the princess’ life like before he found her inside the cave. Kai pushed the thought aside as he flipped through the old frail pages. It was a book of poems, all by the same author, Acidna Setao. Kai didn’t know who this was and neither did Dranzer even though each poem seemed to be about the phoenix’s life before he bonded with Kai. Reading through for Tanya’s ears to hear, one poem caught his attention.

‘Red and white

Shine so bright;

They come together in harmony.

Tears of beauty will be shed,

And the love they share

Will scare away the night,

And welcome the promise of a new day.’

“ItâS 64;™s beautiful.†Tanya murmured. Her eyes were closed while her head rested against Kai’s shoulder. He shivered at the contact her cold skin made with his warm skin. Casually, the young man stretched one arm over her body and draped across the back of her shoulders. He used Dranzer’s power once more to heat up his body, transfer it to her. Upon instinct, she smiled and murmuring incoherently Tanya shifted closer to him.

Kai watched the young princess resting in his arms, and he couldn’t help but agree with her statement, however, he wasn’t thinking about the poem. Something was drawing him closer to her, something he knew could never be true, but his heart was telling him differently. Gently, without waking her, Kai took cupped Tanya’s chin with his fingers tilting her face to his.

“Dranzer, what is this feeling?†Kai spoke within his mind to his companion.

Dranzer growled in sorrow, ‘I know not, for I have not experienced this feeling in years.’

“But that means you have felt it before.â€

‘I suppose but it is a memory that is becoming nothing but a fading dream like yours.’

“I guess we are more alike than we thought.â€

‘If you feel something, why don’t you act on it?’

“How do you act on something when you don’t know what you feel?â€

‘Just follow your heart, and do what comes natural.’ Dranzer went silent after that, and Kai opened his eyes, this time looking into precious sapphire gemmed eyes.

“Is the book over already?†Tanya asked softly. Kai nodded, still his hand holding her head up to face him. He didn’t know what he felt, but maybe if he acted then he would know. Dranzer was right, just do what came natural. Staring into those mesmerizing sapphire eyes, Kai leaned. Deep mahogany eyes drifted closed.

Just then, blue eyes widened as they darted over, peering between the trees into the distant horizon. The sun was slowly making it’s decent beneath the earth for its evening rest.

Forgetting that her blue haired knight was even there, Tanya sprang to her feet and ran as fast as her feet could carry her. She sprinted across the bridge and disappeared into the deep forest.

>> ////TBC////////////

Whew! I’m finally done with the chapter! I didn’t realize it was going to be this long, I just didn’t know where I should end it. I know you all are probably going to hate me for leaving you at such a climax, but the scene before that was sweet right? Do you think Kai was too out of character? Please note that I try to keep all characters that I borrow from others with the guidelines which I have seen them set in. Please review I hope to have the next chapter up soon! Please stay tuned and review! Reviews are encouraged!

Another note, is that I realize if Tanya’s character seems confusing now, her purpose why she acts the way she does will become clearer later on, please be patient.

I just want to point some things out first of all, here are some relative ages, of which I think the characters in this story are:

Kai-17 (almost 18)

Luke 17 (almost 18)

Tyson -15

Rei- 18

Tala- 16 (almost 17)

Laura- 16

Max- 15

Kenny- 16

Hilary 17

Sasha- 14

Kira- 14

Tanya -unknown

Also I want to state that the poem was written by me, if you can guess how I came up with the name of that author I’ll give you a cookie!