Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Humans and Beasts ❯ Chapter 8: The Cost of Freedom ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not claim ownership of the Beyblade characters within this story; neither do I claim Hiromi or Krystal Greer. I do claim Tanya, Laura, Kira, Luke, and any other miscellaneous characters in this story. I do claim the story, though I give my eternal thanks to Pixar for making the original Shrek. It has been my greatest inspiration for this story. Humans and Beasts Chapter 8: The Cost of Freedom; Kira's Story

It was a beautiful morning. The sun was just peeking above the distant horizon, touching the clear sky, making it glow a brilliant golden red. The rays reflected within deep blue eyes as cautious footsteps wandered from the shadows of the enormous cave. Tanya glanced around and, seeing that everyone was still asleep, saw this as her chance. Quickly, the young princess turned away from the misfit group and disappeared through the trees.

However, her departure did not go without notice within burning dark red eyes. Kai had always been a light sleeper, with his constant dream flashes tormenting him each and every night. As he opened his eyes to stare into the red void of the morning sky, Kai caught sight of the princess’s white fabric floating against the wind as it disappeared between the trees. Kai growled, doesn’t that female know it is dangerous to run off alone into a place where one does not know what may await them. Feeling Dranzer push against his thoughts, Kai relented and stood up. Seeing the others were still asleep Kai resigned himself to go after the pretty princess. After all, she was the reason he was on this stupid journey in the first place.

Making sure he wouldn’t be noticed, Kai cautiously stepped over the brush of the forest floor, ducking beneath the low hung branches. He had to stay silent; to make sure the princess didn’t catch on that he was spying on her.

Quietly he stopped to peek from behind a wide sycamore tree. Crimson eyes watched the princess meander into a clearing. A river ran swiftly along next to the bank. He watched her as she knelt down, slipping her slender hands into the water. She cupped a handful and brought it up to splash her face. Kai couldn’t help but admit to himself that Tanya was indeed beautiful. He noticed his body itched to take a step toward her, but his rational mind drew away quickly, pushed his back against the tree. What was he thinking? It, they, could never be together! His hands gripped his blue hair. ‘Just forget her! Soon this will be over, and she won’t even remember you. She’ll be happy. That’s all that matters, right?’

Suddenly, a startled scream broke Kai from his thoughts. The boy bolted to his feet and raced toward the source.

Tanya had just cupped her hands once more full of water when she did a double take at the river’s surface. It looked as if a pair of eyes was peering at her from beneath the water. Shaking her head, as if it was just her mind playing tricks on her, Tanya ignored it. However, just as she opened her eyes again, a creature jumped out of the water startling the young princess. Unprepared for such a surprise, Tanya let out a gasping scream as she fell backward.

The scream echoed through the branches and off the trees, reaching the ears of one group just waking up to the bright morning sun. Thinking of the trouble they rushed toward the source. Rei and Laura appeared through the brush looking at Tanya on the ground, with Kai kneeling behind her, his hands taking her shoulders, helping her to her feet.

There in the shallow bank of the river was a petite young girl. Her golden blonde hair was soaked as it matted to her lightly tanned skin and her summer green dress with straps that easily slipped off her shoulders. Along with her shining sea green eyes, she laughed as she splashed around in the water

“That was so much fun! Let’s do it again!â€

The four stared at the girl, wondering if they should try and help the water sprite or just try and ignore her. Their answer was supplied when…

“Kira!â€

Ma x had just stumbled through the brush just behind Laura and Rei, and looked up his baby blue eyes and freckled face bursting with shock. Tears were welling up as he pushed his way between Laura and Rei and practically threw himself at the girl. Both of them in the end were completely drenched. “Hey, Maxie!†Kira opened her eyes, still laughing, and hugged her friend back.

“Uh…Max? May we ask who your friend is?†Rei asked, voicing everyone’s thoughts.

Max meanwhile, after pulling himself away from Kira, stood up to shake the excess water from his damp his thick hair, before reaching to help Kira, who was still occupied by a fit of giggles, out of the water. Before Max could answer Rei, Kira beat him to it, giving them all a giggly smile. “Maxie and I grew up together since we were really little! I’m Kira, in case you don’t already know that!â€

“Kira, what are you doing here? We were all worried that you were captured or something!†Max asked, as he rung his damp clothing somewhat dry. Hopefully, once the sun gets higher in the sky, its natural heat will dry them more.

Kira grinned, raising her head proudly, “Maxie, you should know that I can never be captured. I can get out of any trap, escape any prison, and unlock any door!â€

“Her father was the town locksmith…†Maxie whispered to Rei, who had come to help Max out of the water, while Laura did the same with Kira.

“So where are you living now?†Tanya asked, succumbing to curiosity, and though unconscious, her hand was unwilling to let go of Kai’s hand.

“I can show you!†Kira raised her hand as if wanted to be picked to be on the team. “Follow me!†Everyone looked at Max with uncertainty, who returned it with a small smile. “Don’t worry guys. We can trust her.†However, just before they started walking, a rustling came from the brush behind them.

“Hey…where is everyone going?†They all whipped around to see Tyson pushing a low hanging branch at the same time rubbing the remaining sleep from his eyes. “Can’t we at have breakfast first?†A loud groan from his stomach made everyone roll their eyes, while Kira tried to hold back a giggle (but failed).

“Not to worry everyone! Once we get to grandmother’s home, we can all relax and then have more fun!â€

So the group resigned to follow Kira as the spirited girl strolled down the bank of the river. Skipping from stone to stone in the river, but also made splashes. At times, not only did she get herself wet, but also everyone else. Kai walked a few steps behind the group, and thus was only one not splashed. Dranzer never did like getting wet.

1 Soon they stopped just before an old stone bridge, and just beyond the river was a simple and seemingly peaceful village running along the river. The path was paved with cobblestone. Humans bustled around the main square marketplace. They were about to cross the bridge when it was Kira who stopped abruptly. “If all of you do have beasts within,†Her tone turning low and serious, “I would advise you not to make eye contact.â€

Kira threw a knowing look of green eyes over her shoulder at the group. They knew she had to be careful living here; if she was careless she would risk being discovered that she too possessed a beast’s spirit.

The group strolled through the crowds. It was also obvious Kira was holding herself back. Her eyes darted into the windows where numerous numbers of fresh pies and breads baked and cooled, releasing their tantalizing aroma into the air. Max also had his hands full, holding the end of Tyson’s collar, making sure he didn’t run off to try and stuff his face.

Kira turned another corner and stopped. They stood on a small street lined with a few brownstone houses, with front porches having about 5 or 6 steps. Kira practically bolted off toward the second one on the left, up the steps, and through the door. The others ran after her. They found her in the kitchen, next to the entryway. It was separated by a long bar-like table.

“Kira, did you have fun in town today?†The elderly woman, whose graying brown hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail, stood in front of the oven. Kira was on the other side of the island counter-top that sat between the two. “Grandmother, you knew it was me again!†Kira clapped her hands excitedly. The older woman chuckled, “Of course, your light footsteps and cheerful voice could never be duplicated. By the way dear, have you seen the timer? It’s not where I remember.†Kira looked around a moment and smiled, “It’s next to the plates in that open cupboard.â€

Grandmother shook her head and walked over to the bar table, where above with a row of cabinets. As she reached for the timer, her hands stopped. “Kira did you bring friends over?†Her smile returned, “How delightful! Why don’t all you come out the doorway and sit down and make yourselves comfortable. I’ll bring you some snacks and tea. Kira, be a kind hostess would you dear?â€

Kira nodded her head, and motioned for everyone to come in.

“Kira,†Max whispered aloud, who sat next to Kira on the thick fur rug between the fireplace and the windowed door leading to the porch, “What’s going on? You don’t have a grandmother.â€

Kira looked around at everyone’s curious expression, except for Tyson who was gobbling down a third tray of grandmother’s sweet buns. A little ashamed, she lowered her head. “Okay, so she isn’t my real grandmother, but she lets me call her that. She was the one who found me after I escaped from the royal guards.†Sensing the tensed silence, she continued, “The brigade was just crossing a bridge, I don’t remember which one, but I kicked them a few times, and they were in pain long enough for me to escape, and the only way was to jump, so Tasi and I merged. However, I didn’t realize the tide was out and I hit my head on the rocky bottom and blacked out. I don’t how long I was out for or how far down I floated, but grandmother says she found me sleeping on the shore bank just outside the village. She took care of me, and I’ve been grateful to her ever since. That’s why I’ve decided to make my new home here. I can go where I please, and Tasi can play in the river anytime she wants to!â€

“Excuse me, but Tasi?†Tanya asked quietly, from seat on the sofa, in front of the fireplace.

“Oh that’s right! Tasi is a dolphin spirit! We’re best friends!â€

‘There was that phrase again. How can two different species, who are so close to each other, ever be friends?’ Kai’s head was started to hurt again. There were just too many questions plaguing his mind. He needed to air, or so he thought. Setting his teacup down on the coffee table, Kai abruptly he stood up from the sofa, where he sat on the opposite side of the princess, and walked to the window door, opened it and shut it leaving him in silence and privacy. The silent loner left without much notice, except for the curious sapphire gaze.

“Kira, it’s been so long. Mom and everyone back home are worried.†Max broke in to everyone’s conversations, “I mean why don’t come back home?â€

Kira went quiet, “I can’t.â€

“Why not?†Rei asked tentatively.

Kira shifted her gaze uneasily around at everyone, but seeing the curiosity, she couldn’t refuse, and so she began her tale.

It was already midday by the time, Kira and Grandmother made to the main square of the market. As usual it was bursting with excitement. Entertainers juggled, others sang danced to bubbly music that filled the air and had onlookers stopping to clap and occasionally toss a few bits of spare change into the hats or bag that lay at the entertainers’ feet.

“Hey Kira, Show everyone what you can do!†One kid shouted out over the crowd. Kira looked over at grandmother behind her seeing that she was occupied talking to the butcher in the meat shop window. Smiling eager to have fun, Kira dug into the bag she carried on her shoulder. No sooner had a crowd encircled her as she laughed, juggling a six loaves of bread, over her head, under her leg, and even around her waist. The kid, who had shouted earlier, took out a huge knife. “Kira; heads up!â€

Grandmother had just thanked Mr. Sasami, but didn’t see Kira at first, only the knife thrown straight at her. She rushed forward and pushed Kira out the way, just in time as the knife cut right across the bridge of her nose, taking away her sight. She screamed, startled and fell back.

Startled as well, Kira dropped the loaves as she was pushed to the ground. She glanced behind her and was in shocked silence. Kira felt as if life froze around her, as she watched the grown-ups rush to help Grandmother. However, the elder woman just sat up and smiled in Kira’s direction. Kira couldn’t tear her gaze from the blood that streamed down Grandmother’s cheeks.

“Kira dear, are you all right?â€

The words echoed through Kira’s head. She was supposed to protect Grandmother, until she left this town, but Grandmother protected her.

“I feel guilty. I still hear her voice, those words, in my head. She kept telling me that I was the daughter she never had, and that she loved me. I couldn’t leave, no matter how many times I tried.â€

“But from the sound of it, it was only an accident—†Laura started, but bit her lip as Rei touched her arm to stop her.

“Kira, dear,†Grandmother called from the kitchen, “Do you mind terribly going to the market to pick up a few things?â€

Emerald eyes were again curious now. “But Grandmother; you and I got so much this morning!†Kira complained.

“I know Kira dear, but for some strange reason, the pantry is almost empty.â€

At that moment, a loud burp made everyone’s heads turn as Tyson walked into the living room, rubbing his belly in satisfaction. He looked up and immediately paralyzed by the room filled with death glares. (Luckily, Kai wasn’t there. It probably would have killed him.)

“Ma’am, we all would be happy to help, Kira. With all of us, the work would go faster.†Laura volunteered, standing from her seat. Kira clapped her hands and grinned, as she saw everyone following suit. “Grandmother! We shouldn’t be too long!â€

“Be safe all of you! Hurry home.â€

With Max and Rei pulling Tyson by the arms toward the door, the group left with Kira, who took a list and some money from grandmother. However, not everyone left.

Princess Tanya stood in the doorway between the entryway and the living room. True; she wanted to help, but her thoughts and gaze kept going back to the porch where Kai stood. Thinking back, she realized she was rude to him. Tanya didn’t know anything about Kai. After all, he did rescue her. Maybe he was the one. She could at least give him a chance.

Tanya smiled, as her petite steps carried her to the door. She slid it open and quietly went over to lean on railing, standing next to him. It looked as if he was asleep. He looked peaceful.

>> >> TBC >> \

Thank you for those few but faithful reviews, I do appreciate them. They are always a good motivator for me to write more and quicker.

Danica Loy