Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Humans and Beasts ❯ Chapter 7: Moonlit Secrets ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Humans and Beasts

Chapter 7: Moonlit Secrets

It was near midday, as the dark cloaked figure quietly ascended the narrow stairwell of a tall tower at the north end of kingdom. The tower was isolated from everything, for it held a secret; which was why the young man was here.

Beneath the cloak, the royal prince Tala concealed his identity as well a small tray with a variety of food and a couple of water flasks. Who were these items for? What kind of secret did this old abandoned tower hold in its darkness?

Upon reaching a wide hand-carved mahogany door covered with a dusting of cobwebs, Tala pushed gently against the unlocked door, letting it glide slowly open allowing him entry. Within was a small circular room, on the left side was a large canopy bed covered in light blue silk sheets that reminded one of the calm ocean in the morning dawn. It looked like no one had slept in it for many months, as was the bed was neatly made with no ripples found anywhere. The old stone gray walls were surrounded by royal blue tapestries flowing over the walls and ceiling, making it seem as if the young man had walked into a dream.

Tala turned silently towards a small wooden writing desk, and set down the tray next to another, seemingly untouched, still full of food except for two water flasks that lay overturned; empty. Tala lowered his head and sighed, shaking his head slowly.

The young prince then walked over towards the canopy bed and leaned gently back up into one of the end posts, arms crossed. Cold blue eyes remained frozen on the lone window, where there on the stone sill sat a figure with longing eyes staring outward across the entire land. Light blue hair came down sweeping past the one’s shoulders, looking like it had not seen a comb in such a long time.

The peaceful silence was soon broken as Tala made himself known. “You know, one could die if one doesn’t eat.†Silence flooded the air again until a soft melodic voice chimed in. “One can survive longer on water; at least you bring up plenty of that; I appreciate it brother.†Silence fell for but a moment until the boy spoke again, “Tala you cannot keep coming up here day after day. Grandfather will eventually discover us and you have a kingdom to govern.†His voice was tired and drawn out.

The young prince silently stepped forward till he was just behind the young boy on the sill, and protectively draped his arms around the boy’s shoulders pulling the boy slightly backwards. He whispered softly against the other’s silken blue hair, almost pleadingly. “…Luke, why can’t you just reveal yourself? The throne is rightfully yours, my brother.â€

Reluctantly pulling his gaze from the scenery before him, the boy lowered his somber red eyes, as he tried to pull away from the other’s embrace. “You know that is not true; I am not the oldest, therefore not entitled to the throne.â€

“Neither am I, but you’re only younger by five minutes.†Mostly to himself, Tala breathed out exasperated.

“That doesn’t matter, Tala!!†Luke shouted, his normally soothing melodic voice replaced by a booming roar that could cause an eruption from the Fiery Mountains. However, it was short-lived until the boy’s ruby eyes filled with tears, and Luke began to slump off the ledge and to the floor. His legs were unable to support him.

Cold tears fell against his cloak, soaking through to his skin, as Tala felt his timid and fragile brother slip through his arms and quickly knelt down to catch him again. Ever since childhood he had always felt a need to protect Luke, although the blue haired boy was older. There the two brothers stayed for a time on the cold stone grey floor.

“I was never meant to rule the kingdom, Tala…I don’t want…I can’t…†Luke finally said, as he choked back another sob. “You and brother were the ones. You were ready to take father’s throne when the time came. I was the one always trying to just keep up. I’m not a fighter or am I strong.â€

Tala then broke in, “In other words, you were just like mother,†He bowed his head moment over Luke’s shoulder and hugged his brother tighter in reverence of his mother’s memory. “You definitely got her looks not to mention her beliefs of pacifism.â€

Feeling the flow of tears beginning to lessen, Tala knew that Luke had once again cried himself to sleep as he did so many times in the past. Ever so carefully, the red head scooped each of his arms under the boy’s back and legs, and quietly carried the little prince to the bed. Stroking a few wild bangs from Luke’s face, Tala turned to leave.

Just as he pulled the door quietly shut. The prince leaned his back up against the door, and unsure if Luke could hear, he whispered as if his brother were on the other side, but mostly saying it to assure himself. “You have no need to be scared. Grandfather won’t find our secret, and I promise we will find him Luke one day; trust me.â€

Tala pulled the dark hood over his head and started to descend the narrow stairwell. Suddenly, something in the back of his mind stopped his movements. Eyes widened when his thoughts flew back to the young man from earlier, with the Phoenix Spirit. “It couldn’t be…Kai?â€

“Watch it! Ouch! You could really hurt someone!â€

Four pairs of eyes were suddenly jolted from their sleep at the sound of cries of pain and deafening pleas to stop. As they all looked up, what was seen made all of them gasp. There was Tyson on the ground, pinned at the throat by a long spear-like stick. Standing over him was a girl with long flowing midnight black hair, the glare in her sapphire eyes made her seem as dangerous as she was breathtaking.

(Flashback)

When Tanya had heard the sudden snap of a twig behind her, an instinct took over her body and with her foot, she flipped up a discarded branch, twirled it above her head twice at the same time as turning her body to kick her intruder hard in the stomach. Her eyes suddenly began to glow a mysterious white light

(End Flashback)

“Tyson! Where have you been?†Max shouted, as he rushed over to the boy on the ground, helping him to stand.

That shout had brought Tanya back to the visions of reality, and returned her eyes to their normal calm sea blue state. The sapphire gaze looked around taking in her surroundings once again. Suddenly the branch, which was still tightly gasped in her hand, was removed and a tentative hand placed on her shoulder.

The black haired girl turned quickly, slightly startled, but relaxed when she saw that it was the girl sleeping earlier next to the boy, as they lay like kittens.

“It’s all right, we do not want any trouble,†the blonde girl smiled kindly, silver eyes sparkling openly, “Tyson meant no harm I assure you, besides we, well mostly Kai, are the ones who rescued you from the cave.†As she finished, Laura noticed the black haired girl had her arms folded firmly across her chest, glaring intently over her shoulder at the previously fallen boy, “He should know it is very rude to approach upon someone unannounced.†Tanya spoke very haughtily.

She then looked back surprised at the other girl, as she didn’t realize the other was speaking, “Forgive me, I’m sure you all are very kind. My name is Tanya Kimura. It is a pleasure to meet you.†Tanya bowed her head politely, black hair falling like a black waterfall over her shoulders. Laura in return bowed her own blonde head, “My name is Laura. My feelings are mutual, thank you.â€

Inwardly, Laura knew there was something different about this young girl, this princess. However, when she went to search the girl’s mysterious eyes, she only found the deep pools of sapphire, the small white twinkle had long ago faded beneath its dark depths. However, she was sure she had seen them glow a dangerous white light earlier as her body shifted to be offensive. Laura was more and more intrigued and determined to find the buried secret of this princess.

“I know I’m certainly impressed. The way you are able to defend yourself. That’s good to know; especially in these times.â€

The calm voice came up from behind Laura, breaking the girls’ conversation. Laura recognized it immediately as Rei, and abruptly turned to face. She was about to say something when he caught a small yawn escaping from his mouth and slightly disgruntled look on his face, telling everyone that he was still in need of a cat nap. However, another voice was raised in frustration startling Rei again from his sleepy state.

“Why are you all complimenting her?! Don’t you realize that she could have killed me!?†It was Tyson, who had pushed himself away from Max’s support.

“That is what you get for flirting instead of staying with your group.†A cold gruff voice said quietly from the shadows of the trees; each word dripping with sarcasm. The words made Tyson fume beet red with anger and embarrassment. “I was not flirting!†His face got even redder. “The dragon attacked me and Max first. I was just defending myself. She challenged me!â€

“Whatever.†Kai scoffed as he pushed his back off a tree trunk, which he slumbered peacefully under earlier, “Let’s go, we’re leaving now.†He said sternly as he stalked away from the group and down the beaten dusty path. As the others began to follow, Tanya was at a loss what to think. Obviously, the brave young knight, who rescued her, was among this mismatched group, but she didn’t know who it was. Miss. Laura said his name was Kai, but she didn’t know which boy it was. It was too dark inside the cave. Reluctantly, she looked around realizing standing still was not giving her any answers, so she rushed to catch up with the others.

After a while, Tanya glanced outward toward the horizon in the west and gasped. The sun was already setting beneath the horizon. The raven-haired girl then hurried to match paces with the stoic blue haired boy, before clearing her throat.

“Excuse me, but it appears to be getting very late, perhaps we should find shelter, before it gets too dark and we all get too tired to continue our journey.â€

Tanya was trying to be kind and patient with the young man, but that was quickly wearing thin and frustration took over, as the boy gave her the cold shoulder; ignoring her completely. The princess decided to put her foot down.

“Excuse me! It is polite for a gentleman to least acknowledge a lady when she is speaking to him and trying to give him some friendly advice. You just don’t ignore someone; it is terribly rude and insulting. Didn’t your parents ever teach you any manners?†Tanya continued to lecture in a political tone. Still the blue haired boy just kept his eyes and ears closed to all of her, completely missing the white spark glimmering dangerously in her sapphire eyes.

Kai, within the back of his mind, did hear the princess’s words. He wanted to answer her. She had no idea how much he wanted a mother who told him how to behave, but he grew up his whole life with the stubborn bastard that is the phoenix. At that moment, Kai felt as if someone had slapped him hard on the back of his head. Dranzer always had a way of telling Kai exactly what he thought and/or wanted.

Meanwhile, Laura saw and listened silently to the conversation. Her silver eyes then caught the glimmer in the princess’s eyes and it heightened her curiosity. With a quick thought, the young cat girl tore herself away from Rei’s side and rushed over to place a comforting arm around Tanya’s shoulders.

The slight force pushed against his side. It made Kai finally open his eyes to take in his surroundings. His vision focused on the scene before him and did a double glance. Just behind Laura was a girl that surpassed the term beauty in all meanings of the word. There was no doubt this was the princess he rescued, though it was dark and he couldn’t see a thing before. She not only looked primped and proper, carried herself exceedingly well, but also spoke with a voice full of authority. Frankly, it was annoying but when he saw the princess for the first time standing over the trembling Blue Dragon holder, there was in that moment something that made her endurable, and somewhat endearing.

Clearing her throat in order to release the silent tension she felt building, Laura decidedly broke the ice. “Miss Tanya is right, Kai. Tyson must be fatigued not to mention we’ve all had a long and trying day, what with escaping from that cave. We are all undoubtedly tired.†As she said this, silver eyes glanced over to Rei, who at that moment let out a yawn. Though he had caught her quick gaze only to lock silver with gold; in the next instant they tore away with a light blush shading their cheeks.

Kai, about to protest, looked around seeing that he was outvoted. Laura and Rei were already occupied. Tyson and Max had both slumped down, backs together, on top of a pair of large rocks; thankful for the sudden stop. As for the princess, there was just something about her as he just couldn’t refuse, or that the Phoenix Dranzer couldn’t refuse. So, unconsciously, he side-stepped off the gravel path, and the group involuntarily following their reclusive leader. Jumping on a few stones across a sparkling blue creek, they soon entered a large clearing just outside the forest’s edge. It was perched out on a short cliff (but it was a long jump). Next to where they came out was an enormous opening of a stone cavern. The inside seemed to be large enough for the gigantic form of the Fire Phoenix, himself. Kai was completely baffled at finding this place, he had no clue that this place was here! Sometimes, Dranzer just took over the young boy’s movements, and led Kai to a place where he didn’t know how to get home from. That was the main reason how he learned to trust the vicious bird of legend. But still why would Dranzer know about this particular place?

Meanwhile, Tanya watched anxiously at the quickly setting golden sun go hurriedly under the horizon, as the others, who approved of the site, started setting up a small fire and gathered food, such as berries from the bushes and fish from the stream. However, the young princess was growing impatient, fast. Things needed to move faster if her secret was going to be kept safe. Dashing over to a nearby wide tree and pulling as hard as she could, the cracking of bark made the other’s heads turn, just in time to see Princess Tanya circling the tree, peeling off the thick layer of rough bark as if it were a label on a soup can. When she finished, she held up her product making sure it was the right size then her gaze lifted to the others and stared feigning her innocence, “What? It’s a door, for the shelter. And now, dear gentlemen, Miss Laura,†Tanya tone changed profusely to proud with the utmost respect, “I bid all of thee goodnight.â€

Without another word spoken or breath taken, the tree bark door was secured against the front of the cave opening so no one could see inside to its dark cavern depths. Kai, as he watched the princess disappear, just turned with a huff, “Girls; how pathetic,†and went to dangle his legs leisurely over the edge of the cliff as red eyes gazed out at the pink and orange horizon.

That night as the inseparable duo, Tyson and Max, lay out under the night sky, busily counting and connecting the stars into various sorts of animals and people. Laura, however, busy she, along with Rei, was to keep the small fire ablaze. She could not help but glance back toward the cave. Silver eyes quietly surveyed her surroundings before standing. She run her fingers over Rei’s black bangs brushing them out his drooping tired eyes. He pulled up his knees to his chest, and laid his head down. He looked like a sweet sleeping cat, with his long hair curling around his body like a black blanket. Laura smiled. Quietly, the girl stood and tip-toed deeper inside the darkening cavern.

Laura had to marvel at the sheer depth of the cave. Who ever made this, craved solitary and privacy, and they wanted this cave to be big enough for two, like a honeymoon suite, for a cave troll.

“Miss Tanya, are you in here?†Laura called out in a whisper. Recently she had been hearing cries echoing off the damp, mold-covered walls, the wind had picked up and Laura thought to change forms to repel the rough wind with her larger body. However something about this wind did not seem natural. As if it was created by some great force, angry yet sad at the same time. Obviously someone didn’t want her here, but the young leopard girl was on a mission. There was something about this princess, and nothing was going to stop Laura from finding out what that was.

Suddenly, her silver eyes and mouth flew open in silent shock. There just as she turned to a bend in the cave, her silver eyes widened in surprise. The cave was filled with treasures, jewels, any shiny thing one could imagine, right down to scraps of tin foil. The cavern would’ve been as dark as an Egyptian tomb, if not that the sparkled treasure illuminated the room like a crystal chamber. But what caught Laura’s eyes were not the jewels or the sparkled treasures. An enormous and beautiful phoenix stood in the middle of the cavern. It was a majestic creature ruffled with smooth white feathers caressing its body like a layer of freshly fallen snow.

Laura made a cautious step forward, trying not to startle the great creature; however her back foot brushed against crystal chandelier. It lay in a mess broken crystal cluttered together. The clear shards clinked echoing off the tall stone walls. The white phoenix, hearing this lifted its head, turning white glowing eyes toward the noise locking with silver eyes. “You shouldn’t be here. Get out.†Phoenix growled warningly. But Laura stood firm, too stubborn to move for she wanted answers. “Please. I was looking a girl, a princess, with long black hair.â€

“Leave now!†The phoenix turned away, ignoring the girl. But Laura wasn’t one to just walk away from anything. “Please, I know I saw Miss Tanya come this way. Just tell me where she is hiding and I’ll leave you be.†When the white phoenix did not answer her, turning a deaf ear to her; Laura, using her leopard speed, raced around to face the giant creature. “I will fight you for the truth; I’m not afraid to attack.†Just then, the serious gaze in her silver eyes, which usually made her such a formidable opponent, disappeared as she caught the white flashing glow of the phoenix’s eyes. Laura remembered! Miss Tanya showed the same look before! Could that mean…?

“Miss Tanya, is that you?†The Phoenix jerked its head up, and stared down at Laura. Seeing as she now had the creature’s attention, she continued, “Phoenix, I just need to speak with Miss Tanya. If you could transform I won’t have to shout like this.†Just then, two crystal tears fell from the phoenix’s eyes.

“I cannot; for I am not like the rest of you.†The white phoenix cawed sorrowfully.

Laura didn’t understand and asked, “What do you mean? The Great Angel all gave us beasts within our souls, but we are still human.â€

The phoenix shook its head, “No, you don’t understand. It is true that I was once a beast, able to soar the skies free, but I was captured by the humans and tamed by their words and actions.â€

“So, the humans all those years ago treated you as a pet--â€

“An ornament! A prize figure, but when they tried to protect me, they failed.â€

“But the ancestors believed in the Great Angel, surely, they would have asked for her help to save you.â€

Phoenix bowed head, averting her eyes, “The Great Angel did use her magic but I was killed before she finished her spell.â€

Laura was perplexed, but even more interested now, “But you’re here and alive, what went wrong?â€

“I was killed and the Great Angel gave my spirit a new body, but this body was not complete. The girl you see in the day is not like you. She is not born of the earth so she is not human.â€

Laura slowly put the pieces together, “Are you saying the Great Angel created Miss Tanya?â€

“And the only way for the girl Tanya to be fully human is to receive pure love’s kiss. If she does not, we will remain like this. She is in control during the day, while I will only appear at night.â€

Laura could hear the sincerity in the bird’s murmured caw, and could see that this beast wanted happiness for her other self, while also striving for her own freedom. However, she had been confined and alone for so long without the presence of her own kind. Laura wanted to help, but how? Sitting cross-legged on a large stone treasure chest, Laura and the Phoenix pondered their options into the wee hours of the night.

“Are you sure it must be a prince that Tanya must kiss?†Laura said looking up from her hand as it rested under her chin.

The phoenix shrugged, “According to the words of the Great Angel, ‘his kiss must be from one who is noble and good, and must complete the bond, two made one.’

Laura sighed, Molly and Rei always told her she was so good at solving riddles, but…wait! Silver eyes snapped open. “Maybe that’s it. Tanya must find the one person who makes you both happy.â€

The phoenix huffed, “How could I ever be happy with an ordinary human?â€

Yawning aloud, Laura stood and stretched. “Well, maybe you should give us humans a try, after all, when Tanya gets her kiss you’re going to be just like us. Now, excuse me, I have to check the fire and we all need rest for the morning walk.†Laura left the darkness of the cave, coming to the dimming light of the campfire, and finding everything exactly how she remembered everything Rei curled up next to the fire, Tyson and Max sprawled a top one another, and finally Kai still sat on the edge of the cliff, his head bowed, chin touching his chest, seemingly sound asleep.

Laura sighed as she took her original seat next to Rei. “This could be an exhausting journey. Two phoenixes to deal now…†Just as she laid herself into a comfortable position, head leaning against a log, her head shot up. “I wonder…no…those two would hate each other. It would never work.†Laura laid her head back down watching the last embers die away as her body and mind slip into her own dream.

TBC

Okay! I’m finally getting back into the swing of this story. Yea Me! I hope to have more chapters by this summer! I’m sorry I’ve made you all wait so long! Like I said, I hope to get writing more this summer! Wow! I just looked! 8 whole pages of me typing...woah!