Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Mask of Secrets ❯ Change ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mask of Secrets

Chapter 4: Change

Jade Mask

It was sometime during the night that the light fingers of pain begun to claw at the small body of the sleeping Tyson. He half-awoke, his eyes glazed in foggy white and unseeing. Pain clawed at his back and spine, at his hands and his head. Soft animal-like voices rose from his mouth and his breathing and heart rate increased. The pain was not of the unbearable sort, it was more like the pain felt when you fell and scratched your knee bloody. A stinging, itching pain that seemed to run beneath the skin, unable to be reached or touched. This was the pain that slipped through his body, moulding and shaping what he was, and what he was yet to become. Tyson himself was unaware of the changes; the sleep that had enfolded him earlier that night was deep, bordering the bridge that passed into unconsciousness.

The energy that Tyson had used to keep up his disguise were set free of their bonds giving it free reign to run through his veins and blood, urging on the changes taking place. The sudden outpour of energy made his body glow with light blue energy that gave his skin a translucent quality giving him an ethereal appearance. Pain shot between his shoulder blades as new bones began to grow, yet did not break the surface of the skin. The bones of his fingers grew 1 cm in length at each joint and the nails grew longer as well till it reached a bit past the fingertip.

The pain receded and the glow of the energy that surrounded him faded but left a faint bluish trace over his skin. The owner of the yellow eyes watched all of this happen, never once looking away or blinking. It kept watch all through the night, chasing away any intruder that dared to venture too close to the cave, guarding the changeling as it slept. Just around the time that the sun would start to show its face to the world again, the yellow eyed guardian placed a simple wooden bowl filled with berries at the cave entrance and disappeared into the shadows, leaving no trace or indication that it had been there except for the berries.

The sun rose up in its golden brilliance once again to shine for the inhabitants of earth. Heat already began to rise from the earth as the sun bathed it in its warm light. For once Tyson woke up early, feeling strangely refreshed and at the same time tired. He could feel the energy coursing through his veins, yet his body or more specific, his bones felt heavy and tired. Tyson sat up and groaned as pain shot between his shoulder blades and down his spine. He rubbed his shoulders and neck trying to ease some of the pain. Standing up slowly Tyson walked out into the sunlight. He was greeted by the songs of birds and the soothing sound of water rushing over stones and rocks.

Tyson nearly kicked over the bowl of berries and looked down in apparent surprise. He crouched down, holding back a small moan as another pain shot down his spine, and lifted the bowl to his lap. He looked around him, suspicious and worried at the same time. Someone knew he was here, but the person was nowhere in sight. Perhaps he had gone back to the town to get his friends or something or perhaps the person knew he didn't want to be found and had left a gift. The latter seemed unlikely, yet you never could really know.

Tyson suddenly felt ravenous and throwing caution to the wind quickly ate about half of the berries. He would leave some for later and catch himself something to eat for now, he was still very much hungry. Tyson went over to the river and began to strip himself of his clothes. He entered the cold water slowly. About halfway in, he untied his hair from the confines of his braid and felt the soft hair fall over his shoulder and back. It was then that Tyson noticed the changes in his hands. It took him a moment to realize that his fingers were longer and thinner than before. His nails were longer too, well on its way to becoming claw like.

He frowned but dismissed it. He was not entirely surprised, it was part of his real form though it had been awhile since he had seen and been his true form. Tyson shrugged and began washing himself with sand* from the banks. He washed his hair as well as he could without shampoo before swimming around a bit. The cold water had a numbing affect on his sore body, and it drove the last remnants of sleep from his form. After a few minutes he got out and dressed in the spare clothes he brought. The clothes clung a bit to his damp body, though that didn't really bother him. He had dressed in soft beige cotton pants ** and a light blue sleeveless cotton shirt. After he was dressed he quickly washed his clothes and laid them out on one of the sun baked rocks to dry. After that he quickly re-braided his dampened hair, glad to have it out of his way.

Satisfied that that was done he went and brought out the sword that he had brought with him. He unsheathed the sword, placing the sheath to one side before standing on a grassy patch that had a nice clear area around it. He began to do warm-ups before starting his sword practice. He started of slow, watching as the blade glided through the air guided with precision by his hand. He made sure to maintain his central balance and footing as well as his arms and body. As the technique and rhythm became natural Tyson began to speed up, focusing and eventually closing his eyes as he came to be part of the sword dance. Time seemed to pass in a rush as the sun became more heated through the day. Eventually Tyson slowed down again till he came to a graceful stop. He was panting and covered in a thin layer of sweat from the exercise and heat. He went to the stream and drank deeply from the cold fresh water.

He sheathed his sword again and put it amongst his other belongings at the back of the cave. He took his clothes, which were dry by now and put them in the cave as well before going to sit in the shade of a nearby tree. He leaned back against it, tilting his head to the sky and closed his eyes. He sat like this for sometime before his thoughts turned back to the reason that he was there at the moment, and of the things he left behind. He was sure the others were filled with worry and the guilt once again began to gnaw at his heart. He leaned forwards, drawing up his legs so that his head was resting upon his knees.

He sat watching the fish that swam gracefully through the water as birds would fly through the air. It was their nature, it was part of them. The fish did not ask to fly through the air or walk with legs upon the earth. The birds didn't try and live underwater or in a whole under ground. They each had their own place, for if they were to step out of what was their nature, death would await them. It was the same with him really. He wasn't entirely human, he belonged in the sky and in the wild yet he was trying to step out of his nature, pretending to be human and it was slowly killing him.

Tyson gave a bitter laugh. He had human blood running through him, yet it was clearly not enough for him to survive for too long periods in the human societies. That must have been the reason why his disguise was slipping. He had hidden too long behind his disguise, disregarding his nature and now it was costing him. He would probably be able to get his disguise up again in a while, though in how long he did not know. He sighed as his hunger made itself known and taking up the spear he had made began to fish for lunch. He caught two small fishes which he cleaned and gutted before roasting them on a small fire. With it he ate more of the berries before he sat back satisfied. With his hunger sated Tyson began to feel more cheerful though not by much.

Tyson's personality was a social one and though he did like to be alone occasionally, the loneliness and silence was starting to affect his mood. He wanted to talk to someone about everything and anything. He wanted to be talked to and he wanted to fight with Kai and maybe annoy someone. Tyson shook his head; it would be no good to think about it, it would only make it harder for him. As he sat an idea came to him. Why it did and why he followed he could not say, but after putting some of the berries in the small and now basically empty bag that he carried he slung it to his back and began to climb up the mountain. His long, thin fingers found many footholds and crevices as he slowly made his way up. He rested as he came to a ledge about halfway up the mountain and looked at the view that was presented to him from this height.

A breeze had started up lessening the heat of the day. The sun was starting to fall again, painting the sky in different shades of rose, red, gold and blue. Tyson ate the berries slowly enjoying the peace of the beauty presented to him. The sky and the forest looked like a picture from a fantasy book painted in bright colours. It was a sight that many people failed to see as they passed through their busy day. The scenery settled the conflict in his heart for it gave no space for such things. The wind was stronger at this height, dancing around him as he watched.

Unknown to Tyson his eyes became quicksilver though he did notice the change in his vision. The world had lost all definition. What he saw now was only colour, silver grey and golden brown colours being the most dominant. He could now see the wind, strange as it sounds, he could. He could now see things that no other could see but for those of his kind. The creatures of the wind danced around him singing, inviting him to come with them in their journey across the land. Tyson complied and followed them, watching in complete amazement at what he saw, leaving his body slumped on the mountain ledge. This of course was dangerous but Tyson was lost in the freedom of his gift, all worries and sorrows gone from his mind. He was back in his element, overwhelmed by the suddenness of his oppressed gift manifesting itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~********************************** ***~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Washing with sand is used as an alternative when you don't have soap and you're stuck in the wild.

** Sort of like the pants that Ray usually wears in the series.