Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Rei ❯ Upgrading Driger ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wingzero: *falls over anime style* Did I not say this was going to be a Kai/Rei fic from the beginning? I have no intentions on writing a Kai/Tyson fic.

DS: I think you have to tell them every single chapter or put it on the summary.

Wingzero: You think?

DS: Yeah.

Wingzero: Anywho, I haven't scene the episode where they raided the All Starz place so I'm going to skip over that part. I don't feel comfortable writing about episodes I haven't seen.

DS: If you don't like it, then deal with it.

Life is but a moment in time; cherish it with the one you love. ~Michelle Soto

The nerve of them, I couldn't believe they had it set up from the entire beginning. Just they wait and see. I was going to make sure that they lost in the American tournament. Max was upset by his mother's reason for not asking him to join the All Starz in the first place. He wanted to prove to her he was just as good a blader as they were. Tyson was extremely angry and began training harder to beat them Yes, I wasn't kidding. He wanted them to be humiliated for the way they treated us, especially a certain blonde. I haven't heard from Dralcian ever since we went our separate ways. I hoped he or was it she? In any case, I hoped he was okay.

As for me, I was still reeling over my loss to Steve. His bit beast Tryhorn really packed a punch. That stampede attack of his could flatten an army or something. In any case, I needed to find a way to increase the speed and power of my blade. Without it, I doubt I can go far in this tournament. I hoped that we will be able to make it past the first rounds. Just who was going to be our first opponents? It appeared I'll have to find out later.

The next day, the Chief received an e-mail from Mr. Dickenson saying that he wanted us to go to a cabin of his. We all hopped into the car, wondering where it was going to be. Tyson kept asking if we were there yet. It drove Kai to the edge and he nearly punched the owner of Dragoon. Max and I intervened in the nick of time.

"Where do you think we're going?" Tyson asked after a long period of silence.

"I don't know," Kenny replied. He was typing away on his laptop as usual. Knowing that it was going to be a long ride or at least guessing, he had charged extra batteries for his laptop.

"Well, I can definitely say it's not in the city," Max stated the obvious. We had passed the city limits and were heading towards the country area.

"What would he want us out here in the middle of nowhere?" Tyson asked us. "Couldn't we have done it back there in the city?"

"Sometimes, I don't understand him," I sighed, watching the trees pass by. Using my sharp senses, I looked for any flying birds in the sky, though I didn't find any. It was too early for them to be migrating south for the winter.

"I'm bored," Tyson groaned.

"We can play a game," Max chirped.

"Let's not," Kai's cold voice sounded.

"Why not?" Tyson protested. He folded his arms over his chest.

"Would you care to meet my fist?" Kai scoffed at him.

"Um, I think I'd rather not," Tyson said nervously. "Then how about we talk?"

"About what?" I inquired with a raised brow.

"Anything!" Tyson almost yelled desperately. "I'm bored out of my mind here and it's been only half an hour or something."

"It's actually only ten minutes," Kenny corrected him.

"Well, it seemed like half an hour to me," Tyson said.

"Why don't you shut up and take a nap?" Kai suggested very irritated at his fellow team mates behavior. "That way, I don't have to listen to your whining."

"That was low," Tyson pouted.

"You know that's not a bad suggestion," I said, laying my head against the side of the car. "I'll be taking a nap, so please keep it down."

"Sure thing, Rei," Tyson said, going back to looking out the window.

I closed my eyes and almost immediately fell asleep. Have you ever had those dreams where it was terribly frightening but when you woke up, you can't remember a single detail only how you felt during the entire ordeal? Well, I had one of those dreams on our car ride to nowhere. Seriously, what does Mr. Dickenson expect us to do out in the middle of nowhere? The guys and I trooped out of the car. We headed towards the cabin, when a strange boy named Antonio said he was here to help us train or something.

Kai looked the guy over and ignored him until he tried to shoot his beyblade. He missed the dish by a mile. How were we supposed to learn from him when he was an amateur? Our fearless leader decided he wanted to train by himself so he left us and headed into the woods. Antonio handed me a key. Mr. Dickenson left it with him so that he could give it to me. I wondered what it was for when he lead us inside the cabin to a locked door. Upon opening it, we discovered an empty room with a box full of beyblade parts and a computer. I snatched a note from the desk and read it out loud to the others. So Mr. Dickenson wanted me to upgrade my beyblade for the next battle. I can handle that. The Chief was going to help me in that area.

During the day, we trained by weight lifting and practicing our aim. I wished I could have shown off my strength during the training part of it, but that would only make the others suspicious of me. I hated having these abilities and not being able to use them. It was like an itch you had to scratch. No matter what you do, it was always there tempting you to do it. I had to fight several urges to lift the heaviest weights there. The mist from the waterfall was tempting. I loved to fly through the mist on a hot and sunny day.

Later that night, Kenny and I spent it working on upgrading my beyblade. Dizzi complained about the long hours, but Kenny had given her the day off. She then kept quiet as she knew he had her on this one. I grew frustrated with the several simulations we were trying. None of them worked out and a couple hours had passed. I glanced up at the clock to find that it was only ten o' clock. Inwardly, I groaned. Tonight was going to be a long night and to top it off, I had to train tomorrow morning. At least Kai promised me he wasn't going to wake me up very early in the morning with the others.

"Have we tried aligning the..." I was interrupted in the middle of my question.

"We already have," Dizzi's ever so sarcastic voice said. "You weren't paying attention while we were attempting the simulation."

"Sorry about that," I said sheepishly.

"Don't mind her, we've had a long day," Kenny said, trying to apologize on her behalf.

"I don't mind," I assured him. "I know we have all had a long day and this isn't helping."

A faint sound of wings flapping caught my attention. At first I had thought it was an owl trying to catch its midnightsupper or something, but the sound of it made me think otherwise. A bird that size can't make a loud swishing sound. I poked my head out of the window to find a large silver falcon landing in the woods.

"I'll be right back," I informed Kenny and Dizzi while taking my eyes off of the sight. Dizzi started to protest I was going for a break and she should have one too. "Relax, I'm only stepping out for a couple of minutes. I won't be long."

I scurried out the room and headed towards where I saw the bird of prey land. Noticing that no one was in sight, I used my nose to sniff out the falcon, when suddenly a silver haired boy jumped out of a tree. He startled me into almost jumping into the other tree. "What brings you out here?"

"I discovered a few agents among the Glitter Dome employees," Dralcian informed me. "You'll have to be extra careful there, because they could have placed hidden cameras in the guest rooms as the BBA have assigned the teams specific ones."

"It is not good," I spoke out loud. "What do you think we can do?"

"We lay low until I can figure out where their central base is," Dralcian replied sternly. "I can't cover you and myself, should you find yourself in trouble. Their numbers are larger than I had originally estimated."

"Would you like to stay here with us?" I inquired, now that he was here.

"I have my own place, but I don't mind either," Dralcian shrugged.

"I'm trying to upgrade my beyblade," I sighed. "Steve and Tryhorn were able to defeat me when I challenged them. I need more power and speed in my attacks or they'll get me every time."

"I think I might be able to help you there," Dralcian said, taking a look at my beyblade. "Have you ever thought about placing channels here?" His finger traced along certain places on my attack blade. "Now that I think of it, there is a better material you could use for your defense and attack ring."

"What do you propose?" I inquired, while holding onto my blade.

"I can make you a better attack and defense ring," Dralcian said, with his hands behind his back. "But it will take awhile for me to finish it and I need the right equipment with me."

"We have everything you need right here," I informed him. "Let's go then." I pulled him towards the room we were trying to upgrade my beyblade.

"I never knew we had company," Kenny said. "How did you get here?"

"I flew," Dralcian said a bit sarcastically.

"Oh, so someone has a personal helicopter," Dizzi said sarcastically from her laptop.

"Anyways, Dralcian here can help me upgrade my beyblade," I replied.

"I'm going to make us tea," Kenny said, standing up. "Would you like some?"

"Sure," I agreed to it. I glanced over towards the silver falcon, who had narrowed his eyes. Obviously, he doesn't trust humans. 'Give him a chance. He's a decent guy. In any case, you have the ability to heal yourself and you mentioned you were immortal or something along those lines.' I hoped I could help him to trust humans.

"Why not?" Dralcian shrugged. He took a seat in one of the chairs and started working on a ring. I couldn't tell which one it was from where I was standing.

When Kenny had left for the kitchen, Dizzi spoke up. "Long time, no see Dralcian."

"Yeah, it's hard to believe it has been a few millenniums," Dralcian sighed. He continued working on the ring.

"Where have you been?" Dizzi asked.

"I've been here and there," Dralcian said. "Mostly I have been helping our kind stay out of the wrong hands. Lately, I have been tracking an organization bent on world domination and they plan on using us as the means."

"That's horrible," Dizzi said. "Why would they do such a thing like that?"

"I don't know," Dralcian said, placing down a tool. "I don't understand the way humans think nowadays. There are too many different types of people. It's hard to tell."

"Rei, why did you tell us you were a bit beast?" Dizzi asked, completely confused.

"Because I didn't want anyone to discover my secret," I said regretfully. "No offense, but you tend to be a loud mouth."

"None taken," Dizzi said sheepishly. "What are we going to do?"

"We aren't going to do anything until I gather more data on them," Dralcian said with a stern voice. Sometimes, he reminded me of Kai, but he knew how to be caring in his own ways. "I have limited information and I don't want to end up as one of their experiments."

"Same here," Dizzi agreed with me. "I thought being stuck in a laptop was the worst thing that could happen to be, but I was wrong. Being an experiment is the worst thing I can ever go through. I think our boy genius is coming back with our tea."

Dralcian nodded his head. We went back to whatever we were doing when he had departed from our company as we didn't want to make him suspicious. Upon entering, he brought over three cups of tea along with a tea pot.

"I don't know if you wanted any sugar," Kenny said. He showed us a small shaker of sugar.

"It doesn't matter," Dralcian said, taking a cup without looking.

Kenny was completely shocked that the silver falcon could reach out without knocking things over and grab the cup of tea. "Are you sure about it?"

"Yes, I'm sure and thanks," Dralcian said, sipping on the tea. With his nimble hand, he made a few adjustments to the ring and melted it down using the welder in the room.

We worked for the next few hours and spent testing the beyblade that the silver falcon had started. The first tests didn't work out as we thought it would. I had to finally call it a night as I still had to train with the others first thing in the morning. Dralcian said that he would be heading out, but Kenny insisted that he stay the night. Our computer genius said that he could take this room as no one else was using it or if he didn't mind company, they could bunk together. The silver falcon thought about it and decided to take up the offer, though he wasn't about to sleep in this room.

Morning came too early for me. I glanced towards the bed my room mate occupied not too long ago. Of course, he wasn't in it as he was an early riser. I wondered why he would be up that hour training. My clock read nine o' clock and I figured that the other were awake. Well what do you know? I was right.

Moving through the rest of the area, I discovered they were outside training and I couldn't find a trace of Dralcian anywhere. I had thought he departed us, but then I saw a silver falcon up on the roof top. He was looking towards the forest. I didn't understand him at first then I realized that my team mates were in that direction. I nodded my head and headed towards that area.

"What kept you?" Kai said in a cold voice.

"I was up late last night," I said yawning. "Do you expect me to come on time?"

"Kai, lighten up, he's been working on his blade," Tyson said, backing me up. "So who was that new guy cooking breakfast?"

"What new guy?" I asked him.

"You know the guy with the silver hair," Max said, fingering his hair.

"Oh right," I said out loud nervously. "That would be Dralcian. He's an old friend of mine and came all the way here to help me."

"He isn't going to tell anyone about our training?" Kai asked coldly.

"Why on earth would he do that?" Tyson asked rhetorically. "He said that he doesn't belong to any team and he promised that he wouldn't tell anyone."

"He doesn't even trust us," Max pointed that out.

"He doesn't trust hardly anyone these days," I sighed wistfully. "Don't mind him."

"Good for him," Kai said. "At least he's using his head."

"What do you think we're doing here?" Tyson said sarcastically.

"I think you're wasting my time," Kai said coldly. He turned and shot his beyblade into the make shift stadium. "What are you standing around for? Start training."

"Okay, o fearless leader," Tyson said, returning to his match with Max.

I shook my head and headed over towards another stadium when I saw a flash of silver. Kai didn't seem to notice it. Well that was what I thought until he spoke up. "You can come out."

"I wouldn't have guessed you'd see me," Dralcian said, stepping out of the shadows. "I've come here to tell you that I'll be leaving."

"What about my blade?" I inquired.

The silver haired falcon took a moment to think about it. "If it means so much to you, I'll stick around until you have your improved beyblade."

"Do you think you'll cook lunch?" Tyson asked, hearing our conversation.

"Is that all you think about?" Max giggled.

"No, I think about other stuff," Tyson huffed.

"We need to focus here," Kai said, becoming irritated at their lack of focus.

"Aye, aye captain," Tyson said sarcastically.

"And don't worry, Kai, I won't tell anyone," Dralcian spoke out of the blue. For a split second, Kai seemed to be caught off guard before returning to his normal cold self.

We spent a few hours training with Antonio. He was surprised that we had another guest with us, but we told him that the new comer flew in last night. We weren't lying when we said it. Dralcian indeed flew in last night. He left a couple hours after we started training, because he was going to make lunch. I wouldn't blame him. Tyson could eat as much as a starving army. Kai said that he was gone, because we could get down to serious beyblading.

The rest of the afternoon, we had spent pretty much doing the same thing as yesterday. We trained almost the entire time with occasional breaks, because Kai couldn't stand Tyson's complaining and Max's puppy dog eyes. He wanted us to think that the reason was Tyson's whining alone. I can't understand why he wanted us to think that he didn't want us to know that he had emotions. Perhaps that was why he suppressed them, so that he doesn't have to deal with them. I wished he could show them more often.

Later that night, Dizzi, Dralcian, Kenny, and I were hard at work on my beyblade. We were using the metal that the silver falcon had molded, but we were having trouble with the specifications. It had to be precise or my blade would be defeated. Glancing towards the others, I noticed they needed their sleep. Yawning, I took a look at my bit beast and found him to be sleeping. Just great, we were hard at work while he was catching zees.

I had picked up my launcher with my new beyblade in my hand. As soon as I had launched it, it had burned lines on the floor. Wow, I never knew Driger had that much power to him or that my blade could be upgraded by that much. I had caught my beyblade to find a shimmer of silver leaving. He said that he was going to stick around only until my beyblade had been finished. I was glad that he became my friend and I think he was glad he became my friend.

When we had arrived at the opening ceremony of the American Tournament, it was a complete disgrace to the sport of beyblading. That was what Kai said, once he saw show. They were going to have us facing against an all star team and I wasn't referring to the ones that Judy coaches. We were going against celebrities. I wanted to go against J. Heart. She was something else, but Tyson also wanted to go up against them. He was eager to face new competition, especially famous ones. However, Max got the best of us and he was sent to battle them. Lucky him. I guessed I'll have to wait for another celebrity match. Hopefully, they would be skilled in it.

Emily was sent from the All Starz and this other kid. I forgot his name, but he was sent from Spintensity. In the first round, Emily took out one of her own team mates and single handedly took out the celebrity team. The celebrities didn't take too long to figure out that she was their weakest link so they teamed up against her. That was how they won. In the third round, Max showed Emily that it takes team work to win battles.

"So what do you guys want to do after this?" I asked the others as we wandered around the area after Max had finished his beyblade battle. To tell you the truth, I wasn't up for doing much, but I figured I'd ask.

"I don't know; what about you Max?" Tyson inquired from his blonde friend.

"Maybe we can check out the games," Max suggested. "I saw a few of them on our way here and I'd like to win that plushie."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Tyson chirped, racing Max towards the games area.

"Kids," Kai scoffed. He turned to leave for our hotel room, when he heard me sigh. "What is it?"

"You hardly spend time with any of us," I said softly. "I thought we were a team."

"Teams are for losers," Kai scowled.

"That's what you think," I said, leaving him alone. I wanted to get out and stretch my wings. Being around the others for such a long time, I couldn't spend a minute to myself. As soon as I reached a deserted area of the park, I allowed my wings to spread. I ran my fingers through my feathers as if preening it.

'Why have your wings out in the open?' Driger asked, very concerned.

"Because I need to stretch them," I replied. "I haven't been able to for the past few days and I don't have a ride to the hotel room."

'You could always walk,' Driger reminded me.

"For an hour?" I raised a brow. "The others would have been finished and there by the time I arrived and there is no way I'm going to be flying out in the open."

'Suit it yourself,' Driger shrugged. 'I'm only concerned about you.'

"Thanks," I said returning to brushing my feathers when suddenly I felt a hand on me and spin me around. My breath became very shallow as I saw those piercing crimson eyes of his. "Kai, what brings you here?"

He didn't answer my question, but he ran his finger through my soft feathers. "What are you?"

"I can't tell you," I spoke hastily and nervously.

"Why not?" Kai asked his face coming closer to mine.

"Because I can't," I spoke nervously. Suddenly, I found myself pinned on the ground with my team captain hovering very close.

"You don't know or you refuse to tell me," Kai spoke into my ear, sending shivers down my spine. He sure does know how to make a guy feel uneasy.

"Listen Kai, you wouldn't understand," I sighed. "I don't even understand it myself and I'm the one who has to live with it. So just drop it."

His answer came in the form of a passionate kiss. Kai pressed his lips against mine and licked his tongue against mine. I, of course, opened it to allow him into my mouth and responded with equal passion. His fingers ran through my pure white feathers. When we broke the kiss, I felt small ones on my neck and moaned. He got off me and allowed me to sit on his lap. I laid my head against his muscular shoulder. My wings were folded to accommodate our position.

"You won't tell anyone about this?" I asked softly.

"I promise I won't tell anyone without your permission," Kai said in a serious voice. "You'd better retract those wings."

I nodded my head and my wings disappeared. Closing my eyes, I nuzzled his neck, inhaling his scent. It was pleasant to my nose. His arm pulled me closer towards him, pressing our bodies even closer together. My eyes fluttered open to find a small smile on Kai, but it soon faded when we heard a few people passing by our area. They didn't notice us, but we heard them. Kai gently lifted me off his lap before standing up.

"This never happened, understand?" he spoke with a solemn tone.

"What?" I inquired with fake curiosity.

"Good," Kai said.

"Where are you going?" I asked him, when he started to leave.

"I'm going back to our hotel room," Kai replied. "This has been a complete waste of my time."

"Oh okay," I said, running after him. He wasn't surprised when I caught up with him so easily.

"Is there anything else you've been hiding?" Kai smirked.

"I'll tell you if you need to know," I replied coyly.

"Is that so?" Kai said, becoming annoyed.

"Yep," I said, before taking off as fast as I could run.

"You're not going to get away that easily," Kai called out as he ran to catch me.

Wingzero: What a lame chapter. Oh well.

DS: I'm sure you'll have better episodes to work with in the future.

Wingzero: You think?

DS: You have the Russian episodes, not to mention Kai knows about Rei's wings.

Wingzero: X3 Oh yeah. Tootles for now! *disappears in a shower of white sparkles*