Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Sanctified ❯ Black Turtle Down ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: Every attack here has appeared in the dub, so don't tell me they're wrong. Now, if you said the wrong blade was performing them, I would listen. Wouldn't change anything, but I would listen, at least.

Chapter 4: Black Turtle Down

Kai appeared at the top of the steps shortly before noon.

Ozuma, Joseph, and Dunga were waiting at the bottom.

He met each of their gazes briefly, and then started down. As he reached the bottom, Ozuma stepped into his path.

"I know what you're going to do, Kai. But I can't let you leave-not looking like that, anyway."

Dunga cleared his throat and held up a brown, poncho-style cloak, while Joseph pulled out a red & orange shirt: the garb of the Saint Shields.

For a moment, Kai considered refusing. Then he reminded himself that he was still didn't have a shirt. Of course, he couldn't just take the clothes for that excuse and not expect to be considered a Saint Shield.

But…wasn't he a Saint Shield already? Hadn't he turned to them for aid first? Hadn't he personally had a hand in sealing Dranzer? Hadn't he given Draciel back to Max, only to go out today and take it away again? And it wasn't as if he even wanted Draciel for himself. The instant he had the black turtle, he would come straight back here and seal it.

That settled it, then. He was a Saint Shield. His actions spoke for him, and there was no more denying it.

At any rate, he didn't want the Bladebreakers to get the wrong impression. If he came back in what he was wearing now, they might think he had come home. He wanted them to know right off that he was there for one reason: Draciel.

Slowly, Kai accepted the clothes and slipped them on over his head. The material was soft and loose against his chest, and far more comfortable than he'd expected. More than that, there was a just a certain rightness that he'd never experienced with the Bladebreakers. It was a sense that told him Black Dranzer would have no problem operating as the Bit-Beast of a Saint Shield.

Ozuma was studying Kai closely, and not because he wanted to be sure the cloak fit.

Kai pulled out Black Dranzer's blade and stared at it for a moment. "Just one thing, though."

"Yes?" Ozuma asked.

"This…is between me and the Bladebreakers," he said firmly. "I don't want any assistance. I don't want any interference. If any of you gets in my way, your Bit-Beasts are next on Black Dranzer's list."

Dunga looked as if he was about to say something, but after catching Ozuma's eye, he lowered his head.

"Fine," Ozuma replied. "But this is the last of the Four Sacred Spirits that you bring in. Driger and Dragoon are ours."

Kai nodded and walked quickly out of the front door.

Joseph frowned. "So which one of us doesn't get to catch a Sacred Spirit?"

Ozuma turned to his friend. "I know I assigned you to Ray, but…"

"Save it," Joseph interrupted shortly. He shot Dunga a look. "Don't screw up," he warned before heading upstairs.

Dunga watched him go with slight concern. "You didn't have to give me his spot."

"Didn't I? He hasn't fully recovered from the loss. None of us has, really…but despite the façade, Joseph's in no condition to deal with the strain these next battles will put on us. We can't afford mistakes at this stage."

"So you're sure about Kai, then?"

"I'm sure that he can win. How he does it is what matters."

"And you're not worried about him defecting?"

Ozuma smirked. "No. But if you're so worried, Dunga, I suppose we could watch."

"But he told us not to interfere."

"And we won't. The last time I checked, Beyblading was still very much a spectator sport. Kai doesn't need to see us, and this is one match I wouldn't miss for the world."

* * * * *

"Did you know her well?"

The question came out of the blue, and at first, Max honestly had no idea who had asked it. But then he turned around and saw Hilary standing on the edge of the porch, staring at him.

"No. Not really, I guess. The only time we ever spoke was during a match."

"So…would you call her a friend?" Hilary pressed.

Max paused for almost a minute. "I'm not sure. I couldn't pal around with her the way I do with you, anyway."

She smiled at the unintended compliment and stepped off the porch, sitting beside him on the grass. "Did you like her?"

"I definitely thought she was cute, if that's what you mean. Worse, I think she knew that. It's part of why I underestimated her the first time…and why she loved rubbing losses in my face. But all that aside, I admired her spirit." He hugged his knees and propped his chin up on them, staring blankly ahead. "I just wish I knew what she saw in me that was worth giving up her life."

"Oh, Max…" Hilary wrapped her arms around him. "Don't ask things like that. She can't tell you now, and maybe she never would've, anyway. You'll only make yourself sick trying to figure it out."

"But it doesn't make any sense!" Max cried, tears of frustration in his eyes. "We weren't even on the same side! The Saint Shields want to steal our Bit-Beasts! Why would she die to save me?!"

"Maybe that's where they got their name," Hilary suggested softly. "They just want to protect."

Max blinked slowly. "I…never thought of it that way."

"Neither did I, until now. But you're not the only one who doesn't understand it completely. I mean, I hate it that she's dead, but…I can't honestly say I would've done the same for her. They just always seemed so threatening to me."

"That's what makes it even crazier! Maybe we wouldn't have done it for them. But they'd do it for us in a heartbeat. Why?"

"I've given up on figuring that out, Max," Hilary replied, resting her cheek on his arm. "I'm just glad you're safe."

A new voice interrupted them. "So am I. This way there can be no excuses."

With a feeling of dread in her heart, Hilary looked up to see Kai standing in front of them. At first, she had no idea why she should feel so intimidated by Kai showing up out of the blue. But after taking in what he was wearing, it made perfect sense. That was the way all the Saint Shields made her feel.

"Kai," Max said slowly, unable to believe his eyes. "What are you…wearing?"

"I think you know. In fact, I know you do."

"No! WHY are you wearing it?!" Hilary demanded, leaping to her feet.

Kai arched an eyebrow. "Four minus one equals three. Three plus one equals four."

"You can't be serious," Max said with a hopeful but disturbed smile on his face.

"Get up and you'll find out how serious I am." Not missing a beat, Kai whipped out his launcher.

It didn't matter to Max that the launcher was the same model the Saint Shields all used. What did matter was the black blade, which he knew at once.

The smile dropped off his face. "I can't believe this! I thought you put that behind you, Kai! We all did!"

"You thought wrong. Either give me Draciel now or lose him in battle."

"KAI!" Hilary cried in shock. "What are you saying?! You JUST gave Draciel to me to give to Max yesterday!"

"Dr. B stole Draciel, so it was the honorable thing to do. I plan to win him in a fair match. No tricks, no ambush. Just skill versus skill."

"So you want Draciel?" Max asked, something like mad laughter in his tone as he reached into his pocket. "Then I want something, too. If I beat you, Kai…you have to give me Black Dranzer."

"You couldn't handle it," Kai said at once.

Max glared at him. "I don't want to handle it, I want to destroy it so that this never happens again. You obviously didn't learn from the last time I beat it." He pulled out his own launcher and loaded Draciel into it. "So do we have a deal? Bit-Beasts go to the winner?"

"Agreed." Kai narrowed his eyes. "I won't hold back."

"Wouldn't dream of asking you to, Kai."

"…don't we need a battle dish?" Hilary asked.

"It would only get in the way," Max replied, wetting his lips.

* * * * *

Joseph took a deep breath and slowly entered his late sister's room. It seemed totally unchanged from the last time he'd been in it, but that was hardly a comforting thought. Kai didn't seem to be the kind of person that cared much for decoration, so it wasn't odd that he hadn't moved anything.

The bed barely looked slept in, but he could see a faint imprint on the pillow. Without thinking, Joseph leaned over and sniffed. The scent of his sister invaded his nose, and, unprepared for the rush of emotion that welled up in his chest, he stumbled back quickly, blinking away the start of tears.

"What did you expect?" a familiar voice behind him asked.

"Sweat," he replied at once. "Kai's, I mean."

Mariam floated into view and shrugged. "He hasn't been here long enough. Anyway, he barely slept in the bed at all. Most of the night he was up practicing with Black Dranzer."

Joseph frowned. "That can't be a good sign."

"Oh, but it is," she disagreed. "He wasn't acting zombified or anything. Just intense. You know…like Kai."

"Are you sure?"

"Well, yeah. For one thing, he wasn't using anything new. He spent all night doing all the Bladebreakers' old attacks."

"What? Why?" Joseph asked incredulously.

"Think about it, little bro," she replied. "What would you think if Kai suddenly started using old moves in a match?"

"That he was nuts?"

"No. That he'd done something so unexpected that you had no way to counter it. It's the last thing any of them would ever expect."

"But won't they know how to counter them?"

Mariam shrugged. "Well, it's nothing I would do. But this IS Kai. If it wasn't a winning strategy, he wouldn't have lost sleep over it."

Joseph stared at her for a long moment. "So…um…how have you been?"

"Dead, mostly," she answered with a grin.

* * * * *

Hilary couldn't believe that Kai was actually challenging Max. She had seen them battle before, in practice, when nothing more than temporary bragging rights were on the line. But now that one of the boys would lose their Bit-Beast, she could not appreciate this kind of battle. However, even that would not keep her from watching it.

The two boys stared at each other as if they had been born and bred for no other reason than this battle. She hated that two former teammates should ever have to look that way, but there was no stopping them. They were determined to go through with this, and nothing short of a natural disaster would prevent a winner from being declared.

Max began the countdown: "3…2…1…Let it rip!"

Instead of falling to the ground, the two blades flew straight at each other, meeting with a terrific crash before both hit the dirt still spinning.

Kai instantly began to press the attack. "Stay on him, Black Dranzer!"

The black blade rushed forward at his command, slamming into Max's blade with jarring force.

"Fortress Defense!" Max shouted, almost automatically. "Hang tough, Draciel!"

Kai knew that Max would try to drag the battle out, using Draciel's tough defense to stay alive. And while he expected the battle to last, he planned to be in total control of every moment. "Black Dranzer, come forth! Spiral Survivor!" he cried.

The black blade reacted at once, and a dark disk of swirling energy appeared overhead, resembling a black hole more than it did a Bit-Beast.

Max was surprised, but not shocked. "Bringing back the classics, huh, Kai? I've never seen Dranzer react that way to that move, though."

"This isn't Dranzer," Kai replied with blunt finality. "Attack!"

The blades screamed and shrieked as they clashed, releasing an explosion of white hot sparks. It was clear, however, that the black blade was the aggressor of the two.

Max smirked. "Same old Kai. You should know by now that nothing can break through Draciel's defenses, but you still charge in with your head down."

"I haven't changed," Kai admitted, "and neither has Black Dranzer. But you'll find that Draciel won't be so fortunate this time around. Black Dranzer always pays his debts, and we owe you a defeat." A feral grin appeared on his lips. "Now, Black Dranzer! Arise from the depths!"

With a scream of fury, the dark phoenix suddenly erupted from his blade.

"Go, Draciel!" Max responded at once. "Brace for impact!"

Draciel took form above his blade as well, his burly arms crossed over his chest.

"Cut him down!" Kai ordered, pointing at the black turtle. "Make him fear your power! Flame Saber!"

Black Dranzer tore through the air like a guided missile, the tips of his wings glowing bright red against the sky. He clipped Draciel's arm, then circled around and struck again.

At first, Max was not too concerned. But on the dark bird's fourth pass, he noticed a bright red wound open up on Draciel's forearm, and realized that they were losing the battle. "C'mon, Draciel! I know you can beat him! Viper Wall!"

Draciel snapped his head up in a roar as his whole body took on a violet glow.

Kai chuckled. "On my signal, Black Dranzer. You know what to do."

The dark phoenix soared high into the air and merely hovered above them, as if waiting for something.

"What's the matter, Kai?" Max taunted. "Your bird need a running start to try and take Draciel on?"

Kai arched an eyebrow. "The only thing needed here is a lesson in humility, which we will gladly give! Dive, Black Dranzer!"

Max did not see worried as the black bird went into downward plunge. "Doesn't matter how far up he flies, Draciel. There's no way he's breaking through the Viper Wall."

Kai could see the anticipation in Max eyes, and almost felt sorry for him. His old teammate had mistakenly assumed that the dark phoenix would simply crash into Draciel. That would've been foolish on Kai's part. No, his plan was far from what Max-or anyone-could've expected.

Just when Black Dranzer reached the point where it a second longer would've been too late to pull up, he did. And Kai was ready with an attack that Max could never have seen coming.

"Tiger Claw Attack!!!"

Screeching triumphantly, Black Dranzer raised a taloned foot and slashed it across Draciel's face.

For Max, it all happened in slow motion, and the blow might as well have been struck by Driger himself. Because of the way he heard the screech, it almost DID seem like a roar. And, though he wasn't certain of it, he could've sworn there was a flash of white before the blow landed.

But the damage was done, and Draciel recoiled, bellowing in shock and pain.

True to his nature, Black Dranzer pressed the attack again, slashing continuously and mercilessly at any part of Draciel his feet could reach. More of the red wounds appeared all over Draciel, and it became apparent that it wouldn't have mattered if he was attacking or defending: Black Dranzer was simply moving too rapidly to predict or counter. There was, very literally, nothing he could do.

From the smug look on his face, Kai had known this would happen all along. Max then realized that he hated Kai, actually loathed him for issuing this challenge. But it was too late to regret, and he could not just hand over Draciel without a good fight. Kai would have to earn this victory, and Max could only see one way out of it. But, if he wasn't careful, the very thing he was putting so much faith in might leave him totally defenseless.

He was so focused on the match that he didn't notice that Hilary was no longer at his side.

* * * * *

Ray smiled to himself as he and Tyson walked back to the dojo. They had just come from an amateur Beyblade tournament, and he could still hear the roar of the crowd in his head. Mr. Dickinson had originally only asked Tyson to be on hand to present the winner's trophy. But Ray hadn't been busy, and he'd needed something to take his mind off Mariam-and Kai.

In truth, he wasn't really sure how he felt about Kai leaving. At the same time, he was in no rush to go looking for their former teammate, either. Kai probably had a good reason for leaving, or he wouldn't have done it. Surely he'd learned from the last time he'd left the team-or so Ray hoped.

But that was then, and this was now. Kai had grown stronger and wiser since that mistake. And he just wasn't the type to be fooled twice.

"You think he's retired again?" a voice suddenly asked.

Ray blinked and realized Tyson was talking to him. "Who? Kai?"

"Yeah," Tyson confirmed. "I've been trying to figure out why he left."

"I can't even guess, Tyson," Ray answered truthfully. "Kai has never been the easiest guy to figure out. I don't see why he'd retire now; he and Dranzer were doing so well."

"So you think he went to another team?" Tyson demanded, whirling on his friend.

"Whoa! I didn't say that! I just said I don't think he'd quit right now."

Tyson relaxed only slightly. "Maybe you're right. If he'd just given a reason, then…"

"You still wouldn't accept it," Ray replied knowingly. "I don't know that any of us would." He bit his lip. "It's just too many losses in a row. You know?"

Tyson nodded silently, lowering his gaze. "Yeah, I know," he muttered.

Ray clapped him on the shoulder. "C'mon. I bet Max will want to hear all about how that Zeo kid won the tournament."

Tyson opened his mouth to reply, but the voice they heard was not his.

"TYSON!!!"

Both boys turned to see Hilary waving excitedly at them from down the street.

"You'd almost think she missed me or something," Tyson chuckled.

"GUYS, COME QUICK!!!" Hilary shouted. "DRACIEL IS IN TROUBLE!!!"

"Again?!" Tyson cried in disbelief, but he took off running just as soon as Ray did.

Hilary led them through the dojo and into the backyard. "This way! Hurry!"

Ray was not sure what he'd been expecting. His first thought was that Team Psykick had somehow rebuilt itself, or that they'd merely been holding back at the Battle Tower, and had been waiting to single out Max. He never even considered it might be the Saint Shields, because he assumed they would still be mourning Mariam, or at least busy with some sort of ceremony for her.

But as he turned the corner and finally caught sight of the battle, all those expectations were crushed.

"Kai…no," he whispered in shock. "Not again…"

* * * * *


Kai was not at all bothered when the rest of the Bladebreakers showed up. In fact, that had also been part of his plan. He wanted them all to see what he and Black Dranzer were capable of.

"It's time you witnessed our true power! White Tiger Attack!"

Black Dranzer's body pulsed as four bright lights appeared on his wings and talons. Screaming in rage, the black phoenix beat his wings and slashed his feet, sending the four lights streaming at Draciel.

Two of the lights took the shape of wild cats, another was a monkey, and the last was a bear. All four slammed into Draciel, nearly knocking the turtle on its back.

"No! Draciel's weakening!" Ray gasped. "Fight him, Max!"

"He can't," Kai snapped. "No one can beat Black Dranzer now, and I'll prove it!" He lifted his head and ordered, "Black Dranzer! Phantom Hurricane!"

"What?! That's MY attack!" Tyson cried.

Kai said nothing as the winds picked up and a huge cyclone formed, picking up Max's blade and tossing it about like a rag doll.

Max gritted his teeth. "No choice now. I haven't perfected it, but I have to try it. I can't lose Draciel." Swallowing loudly, he raiszed his voice. "Draciel! Heavy Viper Wall!"

Max's blade flashed, and even in the grip of the localized storm, Draciel's weight suddenly became too much for it. The blade dropped like a stone, heading straight for Kai's black blade.

"Just one good hit," Max whispered.

"Not this time," Kai replied. "Volcano Emission!"

Kai's blade moved aside just in time to avoid being crushed. Max's blade slammed into ground, creating a crater as it bounced back up.

"NOW! Finish it!"

The blades collided in mid-air, and there was a loud, ominous cracking sound.

Kai turned around and began to walk away. He didn't need to see the results.

Draciel roared one last time and broke apart into tiny light particles, which were sucked back into the blade-Kai's blade. The black blade zipped away and leapt into Kai's pocket.

Kai was still walking when something landed on his back.

"No!" Hilary cried, tugging at his hair. "Give Draciel back right now, Kai!"

Kai tossed her off easily, frowning as she fell to the grass. "I didn't cheat. You have no one to blame but Max, for being foolish enough to face Black Dranzer."

"So this is how it is now, Kai?" Tyson asked softly, helping Hilary up.

"I am a Saint Shield. You are Bladebreakers. This is the way it must be."

"Well, maybe you can beat Max. But I'm willing to beat you can't take Ray and I."

"That won't be happening," Ozuma said as he and Dunga leapt down from nearby trees. "Unless you're ready to lose all your Bit-Beasts in one shot."

"So it's true." Ray glared at them. "He really is with them. What about Mariam?!"

Ozuma's eyes narrowed. "Losing her made me realize we no longer have the luxury of time. This fight between us ends soon. Very soon."

With that, the Saint Shields turned and walked away.

Tyson clenched his fist. "This isn't over yet, Kai!"

Kai placed a hand over his pocket. "I know."

* * * * *

Next Time: Dunga challenges Ray, and Mariam appears to the Bladebreakers.

Reviews!

Kendricks Alashane

You'll find lots of gay Beyblade stories (no pun intended) because: a) it's an anime, b) it features boys, and c) it's an anime that features boys. Oddly, girls are few and far between (thank goodness for Mariah, Hilary, and Mariam). I will admit I wish there were more same sex romances, but that's my personal preference. Glad you enjoyed the drama & betrayal. Don't die or you might miss out! ^_^

Alan Wilkinson

As for Bio-Merging, I wouldn't think so, based on what I've seen. I wouldn't say no to Spirit Evolution, though, since Bit-Beasts ARE spirits. The Psykicks probably came the closest by actually being possessed by their Bit-Beasts, or maybe it was the connection Tyson & Dragoon made at the end of the world championships. Mariam will be around, but I'm trying not to focus on her too much, as the story has shifted to Kai now.

Ace

What can I say, I'm a Mariam fan. I had hoped the title of the last chapter would tell you enough about Dranzer's fate. -_-