Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Sanctified ❯ Driger's Last Stand ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: In case it's not obvious, this won't follow the anime exactly. Similar events may occur, but the overall direction is vastly different.

Chapter 5: Driger's Last Stand

"And so Draciel is sealed," Ozuma declared.

Kai could still hardly believe that such an ordinary looking rock could contain the collective might of Dranzer and Draciel, much less all four of the Bladebreaker Bit-Beasts. Still, he could not deny a certain satisfaction in knowing that he was personally responsible for both captures. Black Dranzer, too, he realized, staring at the black blade in his hand. For some reason, the dark phoenix seemed far less threatening to him now, even calmer.

The time when he had been Black Dranzer's willing servant seemed like little more than hazy memories now, even though Kai knew for certain it had only been two days ago. Not once during the fight with Draciel had he lost his grip; not once had Black Dranzer become the master and he the tool. They had worked together, and with the combination of Kai's strategy and Black Dranzer's power, they had triumphed where they had previously failed.

The black blade seemed to pulse reassuringly in his hand, and Kai felt momentarily at peace as he slipped it back into his pocket. He was only slightly annoyed to find that Joseph had been staring at him.

"What?" he snapped.

The smaller boy shook his head. "I didn't really believe her when she said you were in control. But based on what Ozuma told me, now I see that I was wrong." Joseph bit his lip. "I'm sorry I doubted you."

Kai grunted. He didn't really care what Joseph thought of him. So long as Ozuma recognized him as a Saint Shield, that was really all that mattered as far as team business went. Although, he was not so sure that Black Dranzer would've been so easy to control had he still been a Bladebreaker. Finally getting revenge on Draciel had been a big step in taming Black Dranzer, of course.

Joseph cleared his throat and looked away. "…I'm taking my sister home today."

Kai paused at that. He'd doubted that Mariam would simply be buried behind the warehouse, but he hadn't really expected this, either. "How long will you be gone?"

Joseph shrugged. "However long it takes to handle family business. Maybe a month. Maybe more."

"Do you…need any help?" Kai found himself asking, though he couldn't even begin to imagine why he'd said such a thing.

Even Joseph looked surprised, if only for a second. Then he smirked. "Actually, there IS something you can do-for Mariam." He pulled what looked like a crimson jewelry box out of his cloak. "Hang onto this. You don't have to use it, just keep it somewhere safe."

Even before he opened the box, Kai had guessed its contents. Sure enough, he found Mariam's silver and blue blade nestled in violet padding. "Why give this to me?"

"I could never use it. I think she'd want you to have it. Not because you're taking her place, but because you'll know where Sharkrash belongs when the time comes."

* * * * *

"Come on, Maxie. Don't you think we've practiced enough today?" Ray asked.

"No," Max replied firmly. "I lost Draciel because I was too weak. I have to get stronger."

"But Chief just finished fixing up your blade. You're gonna break it again if you keep this up."

"This is the only way to get Draciel back. I was outclassed when I battled Black Dranzer, and now I'm outclassed against Driger. I have to depend on my strength this time."

Ray shook his head. "Without a Bit-Beast, you-"

"Let it rip!" Max shouted as he launched his blade.

Sighing, Ray launched as well.

The two blades circled each other until Max went on the attack. Even then, Ray's blade held its ground.

"What are you waiting for, Ray? Call out Driger!"

"Not yet. Attack!"

Ray's silver blade slammed into Max's green one, steadily driving it back.

Max fought as hard as he could, but his blade was still forced out of the dish.

"You don't get it, Max," Ray explained. "You're focused on training, but you're not. You're fixated on the idea, but not the action. Until you get your head in the game, this will happen every time. There's no point until you calm down." He paused uncertainly. "Maybe you're so focused on getting Draciel back that you're overlooking what comes naturally to you. You need to get your style back."

"But Draciel WAS my style."

"No, he wasn't," Ray disagreed. "Remember Cyber Dranzer? He used both our styles against Kai, but he didn't have our Bit-Beasts. He knew how we attacked. You need to remember how you attack; how you play the game overall. Draciel complemented your style and integrated it into himself, but he wasn't actually your style. The two just worked so closely together that it seemed that way."

Max picked up his blade in silence and stared at it. "You make it sound so easy, Ray."

"I've lost Driger before," Ray said quietly. "Eventually, I got him back. In the meantime, I had to train, so I'd be that much better when he finally returned. I think you should do that same, Max, but there's no use in pushing yourself this way. I'm not even sure if you've come to terms with Mar-" He caught himself before the name could completely leave his lips. "I'm sorry, Max. I didn't mean to mention her."

Max swallowed noisily and squeezed his blade a little harder. "No. It's okay. I've finally realized that Mariam saved me for a reason, and I shouldn't feel guilty. It cheapens her sacrifice if I don't live my life to the fullest. I still miss her, but…this is what she wanted." He shook his head and loaded his blade into his launcher.

"Hold on, Max. I don't think this is working. What we need is someone who doesn't have a Bit-Beast for you to train against. I bet thinking about Draciel is distracting you, and an opponent with just a blade will be easier for you to focus on."

"You want me to battle Chief?" Max asked in slight disbelief.

"Well, not really. He can't actually put Dizzi into a blade, but I honestly don't think he NEEDS to, with his smarts. Anyway, how hard could it be to find a local kid that who wants to challenge a Bladebreaker?"

He'd barely spoken when a voice behind him said, "Excuse me? Could you tell me where Tyson is?"

Ray's eyes lit up as he turned around. "Zeo! Just the guy I was looking for!"

The boy with an alarming amount of cyan hair cascading down his back blinked slowly. "You were? How come, Ray?"

"Max, I want you to meet Zeo. He's the hotshot blader that won the latest tournament."

Zeo blushed. "Really, I'm not THAT good. I'm still learning some tricks, and I was hoping-"

"Then why don't we take a look at some of your tricks?" Max asked, offering his hand. "If you don't mind, of course."

"You mean…battle with you?" Zeo asked, his eyes widening as he shook Max's hand.

"Sure! World Champs can hardly turn down a friendly challenge, right?"

"Anyway, Tyson's not here right now," Ray added, "so you might as well kill some time with us."

"Could I really?!" Zeo gushed, taking out his blue, white, and gray blade. "But…do you think you could go easy on me? I don't want my blade destroyed so soon after I got it fixed…"

"No worries, Zeo," Ray assured him. "Max won't go all out, and anyway, we happen to have our very own customization expert. Chief can fix you right up…and I bet he could even improve your blade's overall performance while he's at it."

"Wow! You guys are the best!" Zeo gasped in awe.

"That's what they tell us," Max chuckled. "You ready?"

Zeo grinned and loaded his blade. "You bet! Let's go!"

* * * * *

Tyson would've been the first to say that going to the mall with Hilary was not his idea of a good time. But, for some odd reason, he had yet to voice a complaint. She had not forced him to hold her bags or wait outside any dressing rooms. Amazingly, she hadn't even bought anything. Even more surprising was the fact that, for the first time since Mariam's death and Kai's defection, Tyson felt relatively at peace. There was something about spending time with Hilary that wasn't so annoying anymore. Maybe it was a sign of maturity in Tyson, or perhaps in Hilary herself. He was even considering not yelling at Kenny for putting the idea in Hilary's head.

Hilary finally noticed that Tyson didn't seem to be himself. "What's wrong?" she asked during the walk home, squeezing his arm.

He shook his head. "Nothing. I just realized this is the best day I've had all week, what with Mariam and now Kai and Draciel. It's just…it's too much all at once."

"I'm sorry," she said suddenly, and he could tell that she really meant it, even though she was responsible for none of the things that were currently bothering him. Somehow, it meant even more to him that way.

"It's not your fault, Hil. I should be thanking you. If you weren't here, Max might've gone off the deep end already. I know you've been trying to keep him level-headed."

"I didn't do much. Max took it hard, but I think he would've recovered eventually. I just don't know what we're going to do about Draciel…"

"We'll get him back, of course," Tyson replied. "Even if Dragoon and I have to take on all the Saint Shields ourselves, we'll get him back."

"Can you, though?" Hilary asked softly.

"Sure!"

"No. I mean…can you? I hate to admit it, but Kai was right: he won fair and square. Max told me so. And Black Dranzer is so strong…not to mention Kai."

"You let me worry about Kai and Black Dranzer," Tyson said confidently. "I've beaten Kai before, and I can do it again."

"That was a long time ago and you know it," noted a familiar voice.

Tyson stopped short and spun around, not at all surprised to see Kai before him. "You've got some nerve showing your face around me!"

"You said it wasn't over, and you were right. This ends between us now, Tyson." Kai turned on his heel and began to walk away.

Tyson stared at Kai's retreating back for a few seconds, and then went after him.

"You're not going to fight him now?" Hilary asked in surprise.

"I don't really have a choice, Hil. I couldn't look face the team if I turned down this challenge. This is as much for them as it is for me."

"Do you even care what I think, then?" she asked. "Because something tells me fighting Kai now is a big mistake, Tyson. I think you should just come home with me."

"I honestly wish I could," Tyson said, and was rewarded with a look of shock from Hilary. "But this goes beyond being a Bladebreaker. Right now, it's just about being a blader." With that, he took off in the direction that Kai had gone.

* * * * *

Kenny frowned thoughtfully as he watched Zeo and Max go at it again. So far, Zeo had shown incredible talent for a rookie. Though he had asked Dizzi not to say so, there were times when, if Max had dropped his guard for even an instant, the match would've gone to Zeo. But, even though he had lost Draciel, Max was too much a veteran to be knocked off his game by someone who hadn't been blading that long.

All things considered, Zeo would make an excellent addition to the Bladebreakers. As it was, they were a man short, and a talented rookie was just what they needed to balance out the team. Trying to secure a free agent would be too time-consuming, and simply acquiring a blader from another team was unheard of. That hadn't stopped Kai, of course, but then Kai had always made his own rules in most situations.

Kenny nodded to himself as the match ended, once again, with Max as the victor. Zeo didn't seem to mind; just being allowed to battle a Bladebreaker was an honor in his book, and he hadn't really expected to win-which might've been the real reason why he hadn't, in Kenny's view.

"Nice moves, Zeo," Ray said, clapping the boy on the shoulder. "I can tell you're gonna go far."

"You even had me worried for a minute," Max added with a good-natured smile.

Zero grinned at the praise, but stopped as he noticed Kenny's thoughtful expression.

"So, what'd you think, Chief?" Ray asked, seeking the smaller boy's approval.

Zeo bit his lip, nervously waiting for the announcement.

At last, Kenny nodded. "You definitely have some untapped potential, Zeo. With time and proper training, you could be a World Champion sooner than you think."

The boy's eyes lit up. "Wow! You mean it?!"

"But that's only if you take the right steps," Kenny said quickly. "And I think the first thing you should do is consider joining our team."

There was a deafening silence for a few moments, but it was finally broken by the last voice any of them expected to hear.

"Well, it's about time you replaced Kai."

They turned as one to see a near transparent figure floating lazily above Zeo's head.

"…Mariam?" Max asked, staring in complete shock. "Is that…you?"

An amused smile appeared on her lips as she waved at him. "Hey, Maxie. Miss me?"

Max's mouth worked, but no further sound came out of it.

"Is this…normal for you guys?" Zeo whispered to Kenny.

"Not that I know of," Kenny replied.

"Oh. So is it good or bad that we're talking to ghosts?"

"I'll let you know when I figure it out."

"What are you doing here?" Ray asked sharply, narrowing his eyes. "Shouldn't you be celebrating Draciel's capture with your teammates?"

Mariam frowned. "Look, I'm not the one that lost the battle. What you guys don't get is that it's our life's work to seal your Bit-Beasts. That means even if you beat us, we'll keep coming after you until we get them. If we catch you on an off day, that's just tough. Kai was the better blader yesterday, and Draciel was his reward. Maybe you didn't believe he would actually take a former teammate's Bit-Beast, but now you know better."

"So whose side are you on, Mariam?" Kenny asked bluntly.

She shrugged. "Same one I've been on the whole time. But you have to understand something. Bit-Beasts are ancient spirits, and for now, you are the ones they've chosen to fight with. If you ever lose your Bit-Beast, it's because YOU did something wrong. Either you didn't have enough faith in it, or you doubted yourself. So don't blame us when we take your Bit-Beasts from you. We already told you what we're about; there are no hidden motives here. You can only blame yourself for not being able to handle it. That's why we're out to seal them in the first place: they're dangerous, and if you can't handle them, you don't deserve them. If you can't win with them, you deserve to have them taken from you, for your own safety and every other person's. You saw what Cyber Dragoon was like. Dragoon could be the same way, if Tyson ever slipped up."

"That'll never happen," Ray snapped.

"You're right, it won't. My boys won't let it, and that includes Kai." Mariam tilted her head slightly and smiled. "Oooh, and speaking of Kai, looks like he's getting serious. You guys should keep better tabs on your fearless leader."

Ray glared up at her. "What've you done to Tyson?!"

"Me? Nothing at all. Did you miss the part about me being dead? Kinda limits my options, Ray. Anyway, I'd say you have your own problem to deal with."

Before Ray could ask what she meant, a huge boot kicked in the door.

"Let's go, Ray!" Dunga shouted with glee. "Vortex Ape's hungry, and he's got a taste for tiger meat!"

"Then I won't disappoint him," Ray replied confidently, whipping out his launcher as he followed the larger boy outside. "I'll give him more Driger than he can handle! You're mine, Dunga!"

Mariam chuckled. "You boys remember to play fair. I'll go see if Kai and Tyson need a referee."

"No, Mariam!" Max cried as she turned to leave. "Don't go!" When he realized what he was saying, his voice fell to a near whisper. "Please…don't go…"

She gave him a sunny smile. "Don't worry, Max; I'll be back. Right now, Kai needs me." With that, she vanished.

"But…I don't have anyone else now," Max whispered, his eyes growing damp.

Zeo stared at Max for a long moment before shifting his eyes back the space Mariam had just occupied and blinking curiously.

* * * * *

Tyson found Kai waiting patiently as he stepped into the clearing. "So where's your back-up, Kai?"

Kai shook his head. "This battle isn't about Saint Shields or Bladebreakers. It's just you and me."

"Fair enough. So nothing's on the line?"

"It's not my duty to take Dragoon from you, Tyson. Even if it was, I wouldn't do in this battle."

Tyson shot him a puzzled look. "So if we're not battling for any of that, then why are we?"

Kai chuckled as he took out his blade. "In a way, I guess I'm going to help you the same way Ozuma did. If you defeat Black Dranzer, you'll be ready for the next level-the one Ozuma will push you to when he challenges you for Dragoon. If you lose today…well, you might as well just hand me Dragoon, because there's no way you'll beat Ozuma if you can't get past me."

"Are you saying he's a better blader than you?" Tyson asked. "Because if you are, I'll know you've been brainwashed. The Kai I knew would never admit someone else was better at blading than he was."

Kai smirked. "Joke all you want, Tyson. I'm not saying Ozuma is better than me. I'm saying that he won't hold back. He's going to take you to a place you've never been before, and if you're not ready for it, you'll fail. Believe it or not, I'm trying to prepare you for your greatest challenge so far."

"Why? You're not a Bladebreaker anymore!"

"I don't have to be. I just don't believe you're meant to lose Dragoon to Ozuma."

Tyson glared at him. "Tell that to Max! You took Draciel from him!"

"Max proved himself unworthy of Draciel. If you don't battle me, you'll do the same with Dragoon. So what's it going to be, Tyson? If you even want to last one minute with Ozuma, take out your blade."

Tyson began to load his blade into its launcher, but Kai stopped him.

"Don't bother. You won't need the launcher."

"What? Kai, I don't know what you're trying to pull, but if you think I'm going to battle without my launcher, you're nuts!"

"You're just like all the others," Kai said, sounding slightly disappointed.

"What others? What are you saying?"

"Beyblades don't matter."

"…say what?" Tyson said slowly.

"They don't. They're just tools-containment units-for the Bit-Beasts. They don't really matter at all."

"Let me guess. Your new running crew told you that?"

"No. I figured it out for myself."

"Oh. So Black Dranzer told you. That makes me feel SO much better. The Saint Shields didn't lie to you, the evil crow in your head did."

"That is the last time you insult Black Dranzer." Kai whipped off the cloak of the Saint Shields and tossed it away. A sinister smile spread across his face as he thrust his black blade to the sky. "The blades don't matter, and now I'm going to prove it. Black Dranzer! Forbidden Fire!"

Tyson watched in awe as the blade in Kai's hand began to glow like a piece of molten rock. "Kai…what are you doing?"

Kai only grimaced in pain as a single trail of black liquid flowed from the blade.

Tyson finally realized what he was seeing: Black Dranzer's blade was actually melting in Kai's hand. But, for some strange reason, Kai wouldn't let go of it. "KAI! Stop it! You'll burn your arm right off!" He started forward to stop his former teammate.

"Stop!" Kai shouted angrily. "I won't let you quit on me, Tyson! This is the only battle between us that matters! The only one that will ever matter! And I'm going to make sure we see it through until the end!"

Tyson could only look on in horror as black drops continued to flow down Kai's arm. The stench of burning flesh filled the air, and Tyson clapped a hand over his nose to avoid smelling it. Much as he wanted to turn away, something wouldn't let him.

"Now you will witness Black Dranzer unleashed!"

A sudden wind slapped Tyson hard, nearly knocking him down. He stumbled a few feet, straightened up, and came very close to having his head taken off by a sharp talon.

Black Dranzer loomed over him menacingly, larger than Tyson could ever remember the dark phoenix being. The Bit-Beast was so huge, he couldn't even see Kai anymore. He could still hear Kai's voice, though.

"Do it, Black Dranzer!"

With frightening speed, Black Dranzer's talons ripped through the air-and Tyson's jacket. It was only a few seconds later that he looked down and realized there was a huge hole in his pocket-and that his blade was gone.

"Crush it!" Kai ordered.

Tyson's head whipped up, and he finally spotted his blade, gripped precariously between two of the dark phoenix's talons. "Don't do it, Kai! Please!"

But it was no use; Black Dranzer instantly did his wielder's bidding and crushed the blade.

"NO! DRAGOOOOOOOON!!!" Tyson yelled.

Kai smirked. "Calm down. That was just to prove my point: blades don't matter. Now we battle for real."

Black Dranzer withdrew his talons, and amid the falling metal fragments, a bright blue light became visible. There was a familiar roar as the light grew into a large column and began to take the shape of a serpentine body. Within a few seconds, Dragoon took physical form and placed himself between the dark phoenix and Tyson.

"Dragoon…" Tyson whispered in relief. "You're okay…?"

Dragoon caught his eye and nodded once.

"From this day forward, we are no longer Beybladers," Kai declared. "We are guardians of the sacred spirits. Now, Tyson, show me you are worthy of Dragoon! Come at me!"

"Ask and you shall receive! Dragoon, attack!" Tyson shouted.

With a mighty roar of fury, Dragoon lunged at Black Dranzer.

Though only one of the boys had any idea what this battle would really mean, neither could predict effect it would have on every Bit-Beast they had encountered during their rise to the top of the Beyblading world.

* * * * *

"Vulcan Claw!!!" Ray shouted.

Driger leaped at Vortex Ape-only to get a burly, armor-coated forearm smashed across his face. The white tiger stumbled back a few feet, his body heaving with the effort to stay up.

Dunga's laughter rang out again. "Give it up, Ray! You barely stood a chance against Vortex Ape BEFORE I modified him! You're fighting a losing battle now!"

Ray ignored his opponent's taunting. "Hang in there, Driger! We can beat him!"

Kenny wasn't so sure as he checked the status of the two blades on Dizzi's readout. The only real change in Vortex Ape was a new, thicker defense ring, but that alone seemed to boost all of his stats. From a logical standpoint, at least, Kenny was forced to agree with Dunga: Ray could not win this fight-not with the way he was fighting and the shape Driger was in after just the first few minutes. Vortex Ape was truly living up to his name: he took everything Driger had, and either redirected or absorbed it in order to dish out more punishment.

"It's looking pretty bad, Chief," Dizzi reported. "What can Ray do?"

"Quit before it's too late…but we both know he won't," Kenny sighed. "I'm not even sure Dunga would let him."

"Time to put you away!" Dunga chuckled. "Spark Hammer!"

Vortex Ape locked his fingers together and raised his joined fists high into the air. His bulky, metal battle gauntlets began to crackle with electric power as he glared at Driger. Then, without warning, he charged, poised to deliver a devastating ax handle blow.

Ray knew that if the next hit connected, Driger would be lost…but he had no intention of letting that happen. "Beat him, Driger! Double Vulcan Claw NOW!!!"

Roaring in defiance, Driger surged forward, bringing both sets of his claws around in an arc that would cross each other, and, hopefully, end the battle. However, in a split-second, it became clear to the Bit-Beast that he no longer had the power to knock out Vortex Ape in one hit. So he turned the planned blow into a defensive move, channeling his strength into catching and holding Vortex Ape's fists. His body shuddered with strain, struggling to keep the opponent at bay.

"Come on, Driger," Ray whispered. "You can do this…"

Dunga only smirked and waited for what he thought was the inevitable end.

Neither of them was counting on the invisible shockwave that suddenly raced over the field, but it was impossible to miss it all the same.

Ray wasn't sure what had happened, but he suddenly felt stronger, and he knew the same went for his Bit-Beast. "Driger! Take him out!"

Driger let out a spine-tingling roar and began to push Vortex Ape back, his eyes glowing with renewed power.

Dunga was just about to accuse them of cheating when he spotted something on the horizon-and, for reasons that he would only figure out later, smiled.

The next shockwave was very visible, solid black, and overflowing with tainted power.

Ray saw it a second later. "Hurry, Driger! End it!" he cried, but knew it was too late even as he said it.

Vortex Ape's entire body pulsed as the shockwave passed through him, and with seemingly no effort at all, his fists tore free of Driger's claws and slammed brutally into the white tiger's head.

Driger wavered for a few seconds, and then dropped heavily to the ground.

Just like that, the waves were gone, and so was the power they had contained.

Dunga said nothing as Vortex Ape loomed over Driger. Indeed, there was no need to say anything as the fallen tiger's spirit was absorbed into his Bit-Beast's armor.

Ray dropped to his knees in complete shock, staring blankly ahead.

Kenny hesitantly approached and placed a hand on his friend's shoulder. "Ray, I…"

"I don't think he can hear you, Chief," Dizzi pointed out.

He realized that she was right; Ray gave no indication that he even knew Kenny was touching him. Sighing heavily, Kenny could only watch as Dunga recalled Vortex Ape and ran off. "That's three Bit-Beasts we've lost. Now all we have is Dragoon…"

* * * * *

The two distinct shockwaves from Kai and Tyson's battle continued to race across the world, having a definite, if not unnoticed, effect on every blader that breathed. For most, there was just a stronger desire to win, to be known as the best, or to be one with their blade.

However, for a select few, there was a far greater effect.

In a small, modest bedroom, there was a girl with brown skin and bright pink hair, secured behind her head by a single white ribbon. At the moment, she was very much asleep. The moonlight streaming in through her window caught upon the numerous championship trophies she and her teammates had won over the years. The dim light also fell upon a shiny, pink object clutched tightly in her hand.

The girl's fingers shifted in her sleep, and a moonbeam fell directly on the round icon in the center of the object. Had she been awake, she might have noticed that the object seemed to flash or pulse for a few seconds, before returning to normal. However, the only change she would notice in next morning was a single, long crack down the side, which would gradually become much larger.

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 6: The Coming Storm

Kai & Tyson's battle concludes, and the world of Beyblade will never be the same.

(Chapter 5 ran long, so I decided to split it. Sorry for the gap in updates, college is really grating on my fanfic writing time.)

Reviews!

Alan Wilkinson

Bio-Merging doesn't fit in with what I have planned. As you will see next chapter, however, Dragoon and Tyson will become much closer, in a sense.

Kai has started battling Tyson as of this chapter. I decided it would work best here. Hope the results will surprise you.

Kuntzy

I like Black Dranzer, too.

I like Zeo…but you cannot interfere with Nate's Plans. They are special. Sorry. I will do something with Zeo in the sequel, most likely. And there WILL be one. But I don't know that Kai will be battling Zeo, unfortunately.

Melinda-chan

This story isn't at FF.net because stories take longer to upload there. I may add it one day, but not until I'm done with it. The chances of getting feedback are somewhat better here, too.

As you can see, Mariam isn't restricted to her room. She can go wherever she wants, but as she is a spirit, don't expect her to be battling. But she will serve a purpose, yes.