Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Scars Reopened ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Kai felt warmth on his face and lifted his head up to see it was morning and the sun was shining through the window. He looked to his left to see Rei was still asleep and sat up. Reaching out a hand, he was about to run a hand through Rei's hair when he stopped, pulling his hand back. He just realized how soft he'd gotten towards this boy and didn't like it at all.

Standing up, he walked over to a chair and grabbed his scarf from where he'd thrown it last night. Kai twisted the material through his hands for a few seconds, then tied it on and left, not looking back.



Rei woke up with a start, looking around disorderly, then shook his head and sat up when he realized he was alone. <Where's Kai?> He rubbed his eyes and looked at the clock on a nearby table. <It's 11 already?>

A nurse came in then.

"Oh, I'm glad you're awake. You ready to start practicing with your crutches today?"

"Crutches?"

"Just to help keep your balance until your back is a hundred percent. It was injured when you were slammed up against the wall."

"Oh." Rei cringed at the memory, then smiled at the nurse. "Yeah, I'd like to try."



Kai strode into the hotel they were staying in, walking into the room he, Tyson and Rei were sharing. He stopped at the desk, grabbing Dranzer. Kai paused when he spotted a photo of the group after they'd won the Asian tournament: Tyson had his arms around Max and Chief, and Rei was hugging Kai around the waist, which had Kai blushing majorly.

He stared at the photo for a moment, then layed it faced down on the desk and turned to the door. Tyson was standing in the doorway.

"Kai! How's Rei?"

"How should I know? I'm not his mother." Tyson was obviously surprised at the bitterness in Kai's voice.

"But Kai..." He trailed off as Kai walked past him. Grabbing his hat off the dresser, Tyson quickly followed Kai out into the hallway. "Wait one damn minute, Kai!" Said boy turned, surprise in his mahogany eyes. "Yesterday, we couldn't PAY you to leave the hospital. Now, you're acting like you never want to go back there again!"

"That's because I don't."

"But Kai, what about Rei?"

"What about him?! Rei can take care of himself!! Or at least he should be able to! He should be ashamed of himself, allowing that beyblading wannabe to rape him and use him for a punching bag!"

~*!!CRACK!!*~

Kai heard the punch to his jaw as much as he felt it. He held the aching spot, staring up at the boy in front of him from where he'd fallen to the ground, his eyes showing the shock he was feeling. Tyson was fuming; his eyes were burning with a stronger anger then ever, and his fists were clenched tight enough that his knuckles were turning white.

"Don't you EVER talk about ANY of my friends like that. I don't know what's going on, but if you ever say anything even remotely close to that again, you will be off this team faster then you can launch Dranzer." Kai wiped the blood off his chin and shakily got to his feet. He chose not to respond to Tyson and turned, walking away. "Where are you going?!"

"To train. I've missed 3 days worth already. I can't afford to miss any more."

"Kai! Get back here! KAI!!" Tyson yelled at the boy's retreating back, but got no response. He growled in frustration, then turned as Max and Kenny stepped out of their room.

"Tyson? We heard shouting. What's going on?" Tyson sighed, then turned to his teammates and started to explain.




Rei stood in front of a large window, leaning on his crutches. He'd adapted to them easily, and could move rather swiftly on them. The long haired boy stared down at the street, watching a group of boys beyblading. He sighed as they boys continued to play, and turned away from the window. Moving over to the desk beside his bed, he picked up Drigger.

"Well, we may not be able to enter the European Tournament, but we will blade eventually, my friend." He smiled down at the beyblade, then froze, frowning. Something was wrong.... When he realized what, his heart stopped. "No, Drigger!!" The bitbeast was gone from his blade. "But, how....where..." His blood froze in his veins as he realized what had happened. "Lee....." Tears welled up in his topaz eyes and he closed them, trying desparetely to hold in the painful crystalline drops. "How could you......"



Lee stared down at the small beyblade piece in his hand, the emblem of Drigger flashing up at him. He sighed happily, a smirk on his face.

"Hmm. I've gotten both things that I want now." His grin increased as he recalled the night he caught Rei alone in the park. It reminded him of the way things were between Rei and him back when they were on the same team. "But I'm still not satisfied." He placed the bit beast in his pocket, and headed back to the hotel he and his team was staying at, trying to figure out a way to have Rei permanently.



Tyson, Max and Chief made their way through the hospital until they reached Rei's room. They walked in to see Rei leaning on one crutch, the other one resting against the window he was staring out of, his forhead pressed against the cool grass.

"Rei! You're walking around! That's great!" Max walked over and placed a hand on Rei's shoulder. "Soon, you'll be able to leave this place." To Max's surprise, the shoulder was trembling terribly. "Rei? What's the matter?" Rei didn't say anything; Instead, he held up his blade. "What's wrong with-oh no! Drigger!" Max turned to the others. "He's gone! Drigger's gone!"

Rei closed his eyes, holding in the forming tears. "Rei!! What happened to him?"

"L-lee has stolen him." Rei managed to say, his voice hoarse.

"Oh, Rei, I'm so sorry." Max said quietly, placing a hand on Rei's shoulder. Rei grabbed hold of his other crutch, and moved over to his bed, wincing slightly as he sat down on the bed, then layed down on his side, his back to the others.

"Come on, guys." Tyson said quietly. "We should leave him alone for a while."



Kai pulled the rip cord for his Dranzer, but at the last second, an image of Rei laying there on the bed, holding Kai's hand flashed across his mind, and he missed his target completely, the beyblade flying across the ground to come to a stop a few feet away. Kai growled.

"Damn it. I can't get him off my mind. Why can't I concentrate on my blade like usual?!" He cursed again and swung around, punching the wall in frustration, leaving a dent in the side of the building. The young man slid down to his knees after a moment, grasping his blade and staring down at it. The emblem of Dranzer flashed up at him, as if accusing him for abandoning Rei. Kai closed his eyes. "I had to. I can't get attached to him. He'll only distract me from my blading, and that's the most important thing to me."

~Are you sure about that? Or are you just scared that something has taken the place of blading in your heart? That you actually care about someone besides yourself?~ A voice in his head said to him. Kai closed his eyes, gritting his teeth.

"It's true. I do care for someone more then I care about blading. It's true..." Kai opened his eyes in realization. "It's true. I'm in love with someone. I've fallen in love with Rei." He blinked, then sat up, looking around. "I can't believe I did that to Rei." He stood, his blade tightly clasped in his hand. But before he could go anywhere, he heard Tyson yelling his name. Sighing, he turned to the boy. "Look, if you're looking for another chance to hit me, you'll have to catch me at another time."

"Kai, just listen, this is important, damnit!" The navy haired boy slid to a stop beside Kai, bending over and panting. "It's.....about.....Rei." Kai's heart leapt up into his throat. "I doubt you care, but I'm going to tell you anyway. Drigger's been stolen by Lee." Kai's fists tightened and he turned to leave. "Kai! Where are you going?!"

"To beat Lee into a pulp so small you couldn't pick him up with tweezers." He hissed, disappearing behind some trees. Tyson scratched his head in confusion.

"Alright....I'm confused...." He shook his head and ran back to the hospital.




A/N: *cheers, hanging off of her muse, Seto Kaiba.* YES!! I FINALLY PULLED THIS CHAPTER OUT!!

Kai: You made me such an asshole in this chapter...

Yeah, but you turned to a protective sweetie again! plus, in the next chapter, Lee makes his presence known to the bladebreakers, and YOU get to have a little fun!!!

Kai: *grins smugly*

I got it out!!! I got this story out!! I'm so proud!!!!!!