Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Scars Reopened ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Alright. I've used the lyrics from one of my favorite songs in this story. It's "Return To Innocence" by Enigma. So as a disclaimer: I don't own Enigma!! If I did, I wouldn't be sitting here on my comp in the middle of no where typing this story. I'd be in a big manison, with over a hundred rooms, sitting on the big fluffy bed in my room.....with a lap top in my lap writing this story. *blushes* So I would still be writing, so what?!
If you ever get a chance, listen to this song. if you've already heard return to innocence by enigma, well, listen to it again!! it's a beautiful song.





Rei sighed as he stared down at Drigger. <4 weeks....So much for the Russian tournament....> He'd been awake for half an hour, and quickly gotten bored. He was upset that he had to miss the tournament. He'd wanted to go so he could make up for his failure in theAmerican tournament. He also missed the team; right now they usually were giving Tyson the Hymlich manuver to get out the lodged piece of food he had in his throat from eating too fast. A small smile crept across his face at the thought.

Hearing a knock on his door, he looked over to see the team leaning in the door.

"Hey guys." He called. They smiled and walked in. Tyson ran over to his side.

"Hey, Rei. How are you feeling?"

"I've been better." Rei responded, wincing slightly as he sat up. He noticed Kai was hanging back a ways, and wished Kai would come over and talk to him. But knowing that he wouldn't do something like that in front of the team, he resumed talking to the others.

"So, Rei, you want us to go beat up Lee for you?" Tyson asked, growing serious. Rei blinked in surprise, then swallowed hard and looked down at his wrist, shaking his head.



Kai growled silently at this, then stepped forward.

"Max, Kenny, go show Tyson where the cafeteria is." He ordered. Chief was about to object, but Max stopped him and gave him a knowing look. Catching on quickly, Chief nodded and the two of them grabbed hold of Tyson's arms, hauling him out of the room.

"What? What did I do?" Shaking his head at Tyson's naïvete, Kai turned to Rei, who was staring out the window. Blowing out a breath, he walked over to the bed and sat down on the edge of the bed, looking out the window as well.

"What are you thinking about?" Rei sighed, then turned to Kai.

"What am I going to do? The Russian tournament is in two weeks, and this stupid hospital isn't going to let me out anytime soon, especially to travel all the way to Europe. I've-" He stopped when Kai shook his head.

"Don't you dare say that you've let the team down again. This isn't your fault." Kai lifted his chin slightly, studying the bruises and cuts, gently running his thumb over one of the larger bandages. He ignored the sound of the door opening; Rei's eyes flicked over to land on a surprised nurse.

"I-I'm glad to see you're awake, Rei." She said, watching Kai examine the injuries on Rei's face.

"Will these leave scars?" Kai asked her.

"No, they shouldn't. Most of them are quite shallow. They shouldn't leave any marks." She walked over to a desk and set her clipboard down, reaching into her pocket and pulling out a few items. Rei watched as she pulled out a bottle of some clear liquid, and his eyes widened as she pulled the cap off a needle, starting to fill it. Kai noticed his expression, and glanced behind him. He heard Rei's breathing quicken as she placed the bottle back in her pocket and tapped the thin vile.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Don't worry, Rei." He hissed to the struggling boy beneath him, checking to make sure there were no air bubbles in the needle, a cruel grin on his face. "This is just to make sure you don't hurt yourself by fighting me." Rei hissed in pain, begging Lee to stop as he pushed the thin metal into Rei's arm. A sharp pain lanced through Rei, making him dizzy.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The vivid memory caused Rei to start shaking in fear.

Kai quickly noticed this and turned Rei's gaze back onto his face.

"Relax, Rei. It's just a pain killer. I wouldn't let them use anything on you that would cause you any pain." His comforting had no effect.

"No." Rei whispered, shaking his head.. "No needles. Please, no needles." Kai sighed and turned to the nurse, who had just finished, and was waiting for him to move out of the way. Getting up, he took ahold of her arm and led her over to the door.

"Do you have any way of giving him some pain killers without using the needle?"

"Well, we could give him some some pills, but they're not as strong-"

"That will do. He's not in a lot of physical pain, so we won't NEED to give him anything too strong."

"My instructions were to give him 5 millimeters of that pain killer, and-"

"And you will. In PILL form."

"Sir, I don't think you understand-"

"No, you don't understand." Kai hissed, getting annoyed. "My team member has had a terrifying experiance, and at the moment, a needle is the worst thing to give him right now. I will not allow you to terrorize him further, so if you have a problem with not giving him that needle, then you go get your boss, and I'll have a little talk with him." The nurse stood there for a few seconds, trying to think of something to say, then gave up and left.

Shaking his head, Kai walked back over to Rei. "Rei, you okay?" Rei looked up at him, his gold eyes full of unshed tears.

"Kai, I just want to go home. I don't want to stay here. Please don't make me stay here anymore." Rei sobbed, burying his head into his hands, finally having enough. "I just want to go back home. Please?" Kai pulled him flush against his chest, holding him gently. His heart was breaking to hear someone as strong as Rei this terrified.

"I'm sorry, Rei. I'd take you home if I could, but you need to stay here for a little longer."

"How much longer?"

"A few more weeks." Rei winced as his body finally couldn't put up with the physical strain he was putting it through, but he didn't pull away from Kai.

Rei buried his face into the crook of Kai's neck, sniffing. <God, he smells good.> Rei couldn't help but think. He didn't move, trying desparately to hold on to the one comfort he could find.



Kai felt a shiver run through him at the feel of Rei's lips pressed just barely against his throat. He ached for more, craving to feel those same lips against his own. However, he didn't do anything except run his hand over Rei's hair, trying to soothe the distraught boy. <What the hell am I doing?> He was confused at his actions, but didn't cease, as they finally calmed Rei down. He started to pull away, but froze. <Why not? No one else is here.> Smiling weakly, he gently sat on the bed beside Rei and pulled the shaking boy into his arms again.



Rei was surprised at the display of compassion Kai had just shown. He closed his eyes, taking in a shuddering breath as he tried to hold back another torrent of tears.



Kai sensed this and gently rubbed Rei's back. When this didn't work, he got a different idea. Fighting down a blush, Kai shifted so his mouth was right beside Rei's ear, and gently started to hum a song he heard a few years ago.


Love
Devotion
Feeling
Emotion

Don't be afraid to be weak
Don't be too proud to be strong
Just look into your heart, my friend
That will be the return to yourself
The return to innocence

If you want, then start to laugh
If you must, then start to cry
Be yourself, don't hate,
Just believe in destiny

Don't care what people say
Just follow your own way
Don't give up and lose the chance
To return to innocence

That's not the beginning of the end,
That's the return to yourself,
The return to innocence


It wasn't until he'd finished that he realized he had been saying the words as well. Rei was still, and Kai thought he had fallen asleep again, but then Rei spoke in a quiet voice,

"Kai?"

"Yes, Rei?"

"Where did you hear that song?"

"I, I'm not sure. I heard it a few years ago, but I can't remember where from."

"It's a nice song." Rei muttered, leaning his cheek against Kai's smooth chest. His fingers curled into the silky material of Kai's shirt and he sniffed again. "Could...could you say it again?"

"What?" Rei slowly looked up at him.

"I, I like the sound of it, and, and I feel like I can relate to it at the moment. So could you say it again? Please?" Kai blushed at the thought of singing to Rei, but he consented and started over again.


Rei smiled weakly as Kai began and closed his eyes, slowly drifting into a light sleep.


Eventually, Kai realized Rei had fallen asleep and layed him down on the bed, pulled the blanket over him, and headed for the cafeteria.

He found Max and Chief watching Tyson shovel food into his mouth.

"Hey Kai. How's Rei?"

"He's asleep. We'll come back tomorrow."

"Tomo'ow? Why do we hafta wai' un'il tomo'ow?" Tyson asked through a mouthful of food.

"Because." Kai hissed through grit teeth. "What you said to him got him so upset he exhausted himself and he needs to rest." Tyson instantly looked down at his plate, guilt clouding his dark blue eyes. Kai sighed, running a hand through his hair and turned to the door. "Come on. Let's get back to the hotel. We need to tell Dickenson Rei won't make it to the tournament." The three got up, and the small group left the building.


A few hours later, Rei woke up, yawning. He started to stretch, then stopped as it hurt too much. Pressing a hand to his waist, he sighed in dispair as he remembered where he was. Rubbing his eyes, he glanced out the window, and blinked in surprise. The other Bladebreakers were outside playing in the snow.


Chief was fashioning a beyblade out of snow, Max and Tyson were having a snowball fight, and Kai was leaning against a tree, deep in thought. Then, a snowball came flying out of nowhere and hit Kai in the face. He stumbled back slightly, shaking his head, then looked over at Max and Tyson, glaring. Tyson and Max had frozen, staring at Kai with wide eyes. To everyone's shock, he bent down, grabbed some snow, shaped it into a ball, and whipped it back. He hit Tyson right in the face, knocking him back against Max. Kai then turned away and started to walk towards the hospital when another ball hit him in the back of the head. Turning, he stared at Tyson in shock, who was tossing a snowball in his hand.

"If you think you're getting away from me that easily, you're wrong." He said, a smirk on his face. "Come on Kai. Stick around. We know you're a good aim when it comes to beyblading. Let's see how good you are at snowball fights." Kai smirked and bent down, grabbing some snow. He straightened, a confident look on his face.

"You asked for it."


Rei watched in facination as an all out war started between Kai and Tyson. Shaking his head, he layed back down, smiling, then looked over at the door as it opened and a nurse came in.


Kai looked around the tree, then pulled back just as a snowball flew by. Balling the crystals in his hands, he leaned around and threw it at Tyson, cursing when he missed. Pulling back, he glanced around, then grabbed ahold of a branch and pulled himself up into the tree, hooking his legs around a branch and grabbing a large handful of snow off a branch.

He watched Tyson sneak up to the tree, then glance around it and scratch his head in confusion when he saw Kai wasn't there anymore. Kai smirked, then snapped a branch to get his attention. Just as the boy looked up, Kai dropped the huge ball right in his face.


Tyson fell back onto his butt, then looked up at Kai as he swung down to hang upside down from the branch. "Give up?" Tyson sighed and hung his head, nodding.

"Alright, you win." Kai slid down from the tree, grinning triumphiantly. Glancing at his watch, he looked at the others.

"We should check on Rei now."

Kai walked into Rei's room, then froze. A nurse was standing over Rei, injecting a needle into his arm, and Rei was shaking badly, staring up at the celing. "What do you think you're doing?!" He yelled, storming over to the nurse and wrenching her away from the trembling boy.

"He was in pain. We're just helping him. He needed some pain killers-" Kai fisted his hands in his hair.

"Just how thick do you nurses come?! Look at him!! He's been raped, and while being raped, had a needle shoved into him. Anytime you give him a needle, you remind him of the one Lee gave him!!" He took a deep breath, trying to calm down, then turned to Rei. "Rei? Rei, talk to me."

"Kai?" Rei's pupils had been reduced to nothing but a gold dot. <He's that upset?> A weak smile came over him as he gripped Kai's hand. "W-who won the snowball fight?"

"I did." Kai said, holding Rei's trembling hand. "Calm down, Rei. You're going to make youself faint."

"Alright, sir. You are overstepping your boundaries. You have no right to-"

"Max." Kai growled, closing his eyes. "I suggest you get her out of this room before I really lose my temper."

"He's just upset, ma'am, please forgive him. Come on, you'll need to leave him alone for a few minutes. We understand you were just doing your job." Max said as he led her out of the room and shut the door. Glancing over at the bed, Max saw Kai had leaned his forhead against the side of the bed, shaking it slightly as he still held Rei's hand.

"I should never have left. I should have stayed right beside you. She never would have done this if I hadn't...." Chief walked over to where the empty needle and the bottle were sitting.

"Kai, that nurse gave him a sedative." Kai shook with anger, leaning his elbows against the bed and holding hs forhead in his hands. <This is getting old.> He thought, sighing. He was sick of nurses terrorizing Rei, sick of Rei being in this hospital, and sick of Rei having to go through all this.

"Guys." Kai said. The group turned to him.

"Yeah, Kai?"

"Can I have some time to myself?" The other boys glanced around at each other, then turned and left the room. Kai didn't change position all day, ignoring everybody and everything until he finally slid down onto the bed, falling asleep.

Sometime around 5:00, the group came back and found Kai still asleep.

"Should we wake him up?" Tyson asked quietly, eyeing their leader as if he expected him to wake up and yell at him.

"No." Max stepped forward, grabbing a blanket from a chair and pulling it over the young boy. "Let's leave him alone. We leave for the tournament in two days. I have a feeling Kai is finally coming to terms with his feelings."

"What? What do you mean, "coming to terms"? Guys! What's going on, what are you not telling me? What do you know that I don't?" Tyson asked as they left the hospital.




A/N: Okay, I'm in a real bad mood right now. If you've been following beyblade, then you know why. I can't believe Kai would DO THAT!! why did he leave the bladebreakers for the demolition boys, and WHY is he stealing bitbeasts?!?! he already has all the all stars and white tiger bitbeasts!! *crosses arms, looking ticked* i am SO MAD!!!!!!!!!