Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Scars Reopened ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]





Kai sat in a chair beside Rei's bed, going over the clipboard that had been at the end of Rei's bed. Tyson was pacing, waiting for a call from Mr. Dickenson, and Max and Chief were off getting some food for the team.

A voice called Tyson over to the waiting room for a phone call, and he left instantly. Kai was left alone with Rei.

Kai read over the list of injuries again. * 4 broken ribs, concussion, broken wrist, signs of rape, bruising on back, left shoulder and abdomen, blood loss. My god.*

After a moment, he turned to the still boy beside him. Hesitantly, Kai reached out and brushed some of his hair out of his eyes, his own softening as Rei whimpered slightly in his sleep. Kai gently touched Rei's bandaged chest, checking to see if blood was seeping through. He felt Rei jump under his touch, and pulled away, looking up at Rei's face.

He had a distressed look on his face, and he was whimpering in his sleep.

"No.....please.....stop it....." He pleaded, weakly trying to struggle in his sleep. "....Please....leave me alone!...." He cried weakly. *He must be having a nightmare.* Kai realized. He gently shook him, trying not to hurt him further.

"Rei? Rei, wake up. You're having a nightmare." Kai said quietly as he tried to wake him. He whimpered again, and a tear slipped from his closed eye. Kai's heart caved at the sight, and he gently wiped the tear off. "Rei, please. Wake up." Rei's hand flung up and knocked Kai's away; the young boy jolted awake, looking around wildly. Kai stepped back, waiting for the boy to catch his bearings.

After a moment, Rei looked up at him, confusion clouding over the fear in his eyes.

"K-Kai?" Kai stepped forward again.

"Rei? You alright?" Rei's gold irises danced over Kai's face, studying it, then welled up with tears, his lip trembled, and he lunged forward, clinging to Kai as if he were a lifeline, ignoring the pain lancing through him at the abrupt movement.

"Oh, Kai I was so scared. I was never so scared in my life." Kai stood there for what felt like a mellenium, then slowly placed his arms around Rei. The small movement seemed to be a trigger, as the moment Kai layed his arms around Rei, the boy broke down into a fit of sobs. Kai tightened his hold on him, drawing Rei closer and leaning his cheek against Rei's silky hair. "Kai...you're not going to leave me, are you? You won't leave me alone?"

"No, I won't leave, Rei. Not if you don't want me to." Rei leaned into Kai's chest, trembling.

"He...He's not right, is he?" Kai heard Rei whisper.

"What? Who's not right about what?" Rei sniffed.

"He...he said that...that I wasn't good enough to be on the Bladebreakers....and...and that I was a terrible blader since I was beaten by a lab rat." Kai's eyes widened in anger as he heard this. "It's not true, is it?"

"Who said that, Rei? Of course it isn't true. Who told you that? Was it the person who did this?" Rei buried his face further into Kai's shirt, gripping it in his fists.

"Y-yes."

"Who was it?"

"I-It was Le-Lee." Kai stared at the wall in front of him in shock, holding Rei possessivly as Rei broke down again. *I can't believe Lee would do this. And after they declared themselves friends in the Asian tournament, too.*

"Easy, Rei. It's alright. Nothing else is going to happen to you. I promise." Kai ran his hand through Rei's hair. Hearing someone clear their throat, he glanced over his shoulder to see the rest of the team standing at the door and fought down the blush that started to rise over his face. He felt Rei go limp and pulled away to see that Rei had fallen asleep. Laying him back down, he stood and turned to the others. Before Kai could say anything, Tyson smirked.

"Aww, Kai. You two look so cute together!! I just knew you had-Hey!!" He was cut off by Kai grabbing him by the collar of his shirt.

"I suggest you stop now while you still have a tongue to talk with." He hissed darkly. Tyson swallowed hard and nodded. Kai shoved him away, a glare on his face. Tyson rubbed his neck, shaking his head.

"Dickenson said he's on his way. He wants to talk to us in the waiting room. He should be here in around 15 minutes." Tyson muttered.

"Kai? When Rei woke up, did he say who did this to him?" Kai nodded, sitting down beside Rei.

"Yeah. Lee did it." A gasp ran through the group.

"What?! Lee!? That JERK!!" Tyson snapped.

"Why would Lee do this? I thought they were friends!"

"Yeah, Rei thought that too." Kai muttered. "According to Rei, Lee told him that he wasn't good enough to be on the Bladebreakers and that he was a terrible blader since he was beaten by a lab rat." A growl surfaced from the owner of Dragoon.

"Why that no good, rotten..." He trailed off as someone called the team to the waiting room. "Mr. Dickenson must be here." Kai merely picked up a book and started reading. "Kai aren't you coming?"

"I want to talk with Rei's doctor." He answered. Voicing their understanding, the small group headed for the waiting room, and Kai turned to once again study Rei. *I'm not surprised he fell asleep so quickly. He's probably exhausted.* Rei shifted in his sleep, his fist gripping the sheet tightly until he was comfortable again. Kai sighed, a hand resting on the mattress. *Lee had damn well better be in China by now. Because if he crosses my path, he'll be lucky if he can lift a single finger without pain when I'm finished. He will not get away with hurting Rei like this.* Glancing down at Rei from where his gaze had drifted to the window, he was surprised to see Rei had ahold of his hand and was leaning his cheek against it.

A small blush rose over Kai's face and he tried to pull his hand away. He ceased when Rei panicked slightly and tightened his grip. Sighing, he looked back out the window, watching the small flakes drift to the ground. [1]

Hearing the door open, he turned to see a female doctor walk in, holding a black clipboard to her chest.

"How is he? Has he woken up yet?"

"Yes, he has."

"Oh, good." She lifted a few sheets off her clipboard and started writing something.

"So how long should he have to stay in here?"

"Well, we'll need to examine him again now that he's conscious, and I'd like him to stay until he's pretty much healed. That would probably be around, I'd say 4 weeks."

"What?! But, the Russian Tournament's in TWO weeks!"

"What team are you guys on?" Kai looked down at the boy still gripping his hand.

"The Bladebreakers." He muttered..

"Really? I've been watching you guys, you've been doing well." She paused. "I saw Rei's battle. Is that what started this?" Kai nodded.

"He was upset, so he went on a walk or something alone. Around two hours later, we get a call from you guys saying he's being held here." The nurse sighed.

"Do you know who did this?"

"Yeah." Kai ran his free hand through Rei's hair. "Lee, from Rei's old team, the Whitetigers." He heard the doctor gasp in surprise. "He's been trying to get Rei to rejoin them, and probably saw this as a good chance to get some revenge." Kai was surprised. He was never so open with anyone.

The doctor gently took Rei's medical chart off Kai's lap and read through it.

"He's going to need some blood donated." She muttered to herself. "Hmm, he's A+...." *That's my blood type.*

"How much does he need?"

"Around 3 pints. Why? Are you willing to give him some?" Kai nodded. For some reason, this surprised the doctor. "Really?" Kai frowned.

"Yes. I refuse to abandon one of my team members." *Especially this one.*

"Alright."


When the rest of the Bladebreakers and Mr. Dickenson came back in, they were surprised to see Kai sitting beside Rei, a thin tube running from his wrist to Rei's.

"Kai?" Kai looked up, a tired look in his eyes. "What..what are you.."

"Rei needed blood." He muttered, leaning back against the wall, his eyes closing. Mr. Dickenson watched with pride as the nurse came over and started to unhook Kai, him having finished his donantion. *I knew that boy cared about this team more then he let on.*

Kai stood, then stumbled, slightly disoriented from the transfusion. Tyson rushed forward and steadied him, throwing his arm over his shoulder. Kai was too worn to care.

"Make sure he eats food that has alot of sugar in it so he can restore the sugar in his blood." A nurse informed Mr. Dickenson. Kai grabbed the nurse by the sleeve as they past her.

"If he wakes up before I get back, tell him I only went to the hotel and will be back tomorrow." She nodded, smiling at the team as they let. *What a group.*

Kai was practically dragged through the door of their suite. He walked over to a bed and fell down onto it, completely worn out. He had barely managed to pull himself under the blankets, and fell asleep a few minutes after he had layed down. *First thing tomorrow, I'm going to check on Rei, then I'm scouring the city for that jerk.*




[1]-I can't really remember if it was winter then or not, so I'm making it winter. *grins sheepishly* I hate winter, but I love how pretty it looks. Plus, I have a cute scene planned out for it later on.

Oh, and One little thing for all those Lee fans, DON"T HURT ME!!! I actually like Lee. He's my favorite on on the Whitetigers. (I don't consider Rei part of the Whitetigers anymore) It just seemed to fit the plot. I'm sorry if i've upset anyone!!!