Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Scars Reopened ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]






Rei walked back to the bench, sitting down and fisting his hands on his pants, staring down at the floor in anger. *I can't believe I lost.* He grit his teeth, his gold eyes burning from trying to hold in the tears in as Tyson started snapping at him.

"Tyson, go easy on him. You didn't do very good either. You-"

"Chief." Rei hissed, closing his eyes. "He's right, Chief. I lost and I deserve the reprimending." The team stared at him in surprise. Tyson ran a hand through his hair.

"Jeez, Rei, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be so hard on you."

"Tyson, Rei tryed his best. Don't be trying to correct him when you barely won yourself." Kai said sharply. Tyson merely scuffed his shoe and turned to Max.

"You ready?"

"I don't know." Rei shut himself off from the rest of the competition as he dwelled on his defeat.

Kai watched Rei out of the corner of his eye as Max headed for the match, and caught sight of a tear falling from Rei's cheek. The sight of that crystalline drop had Kai's stomach knotting with sympathy.

Kai was dimly aware of a large commotion after a while, and looked out to the stadium in time to see Max jumping around in excitement, Tyson and Chief swarming him. *The match is over already?* Looking up at the clock, he saw it had already been 20 minutes since it started. Turning to Rei, he was surprised to see the bench beside him was empty. Looking around, Kai managed to catch the end of Rei's hair disappearing through the door.

He got up and was about to follow him when the rest of the team came running over, cheering loudly.

"Yes!! Yes, we won!!" Tyson was yelling. Kai managed to get away and walked out the door Rei went through.

Climbing up the set of stairs, he found himself on the roof, and spotted Rei leaning over the edge of the building. Walking over, he joined Rei, not saying anything for a while.

"I failed the team." Rei said quietly. Kai looked over at him, and when he saw the streaks of tears on Rei's face, wanted to strangle Tyson for saying that. "Tyson started our victory, and I almost destroyed it." Kai closed his eyes, then looked over at Rei.

"If you're going to beat yourself up over one little defeat, then you're not the blader I thought you were." Rei looked over at him in shock. Kai met his gaze, a determind look in his red/brown orbs as he met Rei's surprised gold ones. "Losing one battle is no reason to believe that you're a failure. I lost to Tyson. I hate that fact. I wish everyday that I could go back in time and change it, but I don't let that interfere with my blading. So you lost a battle to the All Stars. I don't see why you're making such a big deal over this. Tyson didn't mean what he said; He was only stressed. This isn't the first time you've lost. And it probably won't be the last. But if you go into any fights worrying about IF you're going to lose, the you ARE going to lose." Rei looked back down at the city below them, letting what Kai had said sink in.

Turning to Kai, he was about to say something when the door flung open and the rest of the team ran out, swarming the two of them.

"Yes!! Yes, we rock!!" Tyson was cheering, hugging Chief and Rei tightly. Max laughed.

"Hey, guys, we should get back downstairs. Mr. Dickinson probably wants to talk to us." He said, managing to pry Tyson off of Chief and Rei. The entire group agreed, and all of them except Rei headed for the staircase. Chief noticed Rei was hanging back from the others.

"Hey Rei. Are you coming?"

"I'll be down in a minute." He called, looking up at the stars. Chief shrugged and followed the others down the stairs.

Around 15 minutes later, when the group was back in their suite at the hotel, Max looked up, glancing around the room.

"Hey guys. Rei hasn't come back yet."




Rei sighed, his hands in his pockets as he walked the streets, taking in the city. Kai's speech kept running through his head, and he sighed again. He still couldn't shake the fact that he could have done a lot better, and was feeling bad about it.

Deciding he had spent enough time away from the team, he turned to head back to the hotel. He was half way there when he was suddenly grabbed from behind, and thrown roughly into a concrete wall. He yelped in pain as he heard a sickening crack when he skull collided with a solid wall.

"What are you-" He was cut off by the form pinning him against the building.

"I saw your defeat on tv, Rei. You going to run from this team too?" The form hissed. Rei stiffened in shock as he realized who held him in place.

"What....you're.."




Kai drummed his fingers, sighing as he watched Max and Tyson wrestling on the couch. *Where the hell is Rei?? It's not like him to just take off for an hour without telling us.*

"Guys, we should be out looking for Rei." He snapped to the 4 of them.

"Kai." Tyson said in a 'don't start this again' tone. "Rei probably just wants some time to himself. He'll come back on his own. Relax." Kai growled and folded his arms, sitting down. "Oh, my god. He actually listened to me." Kai rolled his eyes, deciding not to respond.



Rei winced as he tried to sit up. Every part of his body ached when he moved. He was thanking every god he knew the name of for the fact that his attacker had finally left. Managing to drag himself to his hands and knees, he spit out a mouthful of blood, trying to take in a full breath.

Jumping as he heard footsteps, he looked up to see someone coming towards him and cringed. *No, not again.*

"Hey. Are you alright?" Rei tried to answer, but a wave of pain stopped him from responded and he collapsed where he was.



"Where is he?" Tyson wondered. "It's been over two hours." Kai sighed and turned to Chief.

"You said he told you he was only going to be a few minutes."

"Well, yeah, but....." He stopped as the phone rang and watched Max answer it.

"Hello?.........Yes, this is where the Bladebreakers are staying...........What?" Max's face paled suddenly. "Are you sure?.........Do you know who..........Is he alright?..........We'll be right over." He hung the phone up and turned to the others, a grim look on his face.

"What is it, Max?"

"Rei's in the hospitol."

"WHAT?!" The entire group yelled. Max nodded.

"Yeah, some stranger said he found him in the park in town and dropped him off. Max turned to Kai. "He's been raped."

Kai felt the room tilt and stumbled to catch his balance.

"Wh-What?"

"He's in intensive care right now." Kai felt rage fill him and turned, heading for the door.

"KAI!!! Wait for us!!" Kai heard Tyson yell, but ignored it. He needed to find Rei, and was not going to wait for the rookie to catch up. Quickly getting outside, he took off, running the entire 20 blocks to the hospital, not tiring until he reached the building, then doubled over, holding his side. Catching his breath, he walked in, breezing past several nurses and ignoring their demands to tell them who he was. Kai scoured the intensive care wing until he found Rei. He walked over slowly, staring down at the black haired boy that had ensnared his heart since he first joined the team.

"Is he going to be alright?" He asked, his voice hoarse from running so far. A nearby nurse sighed.

"It's too hard to tell right now. We'll know when he wakes up. The man who found him said he'd been in the eastern part of town, around ten miles from the beystadium. Who are you?"

"One of his team members." Was all Kai said. The nurse nodded.

"All right. Come get someone if he wakes up." She then left. Kai stared down at the boy. Rei's proud face held alot of brusies and cuts, and his chest was wrapped thickly with bandages. He had a bandage wrapped around his upper torso, wrists, and his left shoulder. He was hooked up to a life support system by his arm, and he had a respirator over his mouth to help him breath, since he seemed to have trouble. His hair was a mess, and blood was caked on it. His breath was shallow, and all in all, he was a terrifying sight.

He didn't react as the others came in. Nobody said anything for the longest time, then Chief sat down in a chair and said what everybody was thinking.

"Oh my god.......Rei......."





Silver Inferno: Hey, sorry this was so short. I promise that the next chapters will be much longer. Because it's a long weekend, i'll probably get the next chapter out quickly, but don't always expect them to always come out quickly, what with high school and babysitting and all, it's hard for me to find a spare moment to type these.