Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Scars Reopened ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]




Rei glared at Lee, who was smirking evily at him as they set their blades and Jazzman started the countdown.

"You sure you're ready for this Rei? Maybe you should go crawling back to your new boyfriend!" Rei closed his eyes, then smirked, much to Lee's surprise.

"Lee, you never did know when to shut up, did you?" Rei opened his eyes, the topaz irises flashing with anger. "Well then, I'm going to have to shut you up myself!!"

Both of them launched at the same time, and the two blades headed straight for each other, both sending debris flying up as they bit into the ground. They rammed headfirst, sending rubble everywhere; Lee shielded himself from the rocks careening at him, but Rei only closed his eyes, not moving from his spot. Lee growled in anger as he lowered his arm. >That arrogant jerk. I'll teach him for making a fool out of me. He's alway's strived to be better then I am.>

~Flashback~

Lee watched in shock as his very own grandfather handed Drigger over to Rei. *I have been training for my entire life to be worthy of Drigger!!* Dispite his growing anger, Lee forced a grin to his face and watched Rei take the bitbeast. However, he overheard some adults talking off to the side.

"I am relieved to see that Rei has recieved the legendary Drigger, and not Lee. Lee may be formidable at blading, but Rei far surpasses him."

"I agree; The Elder has made a wise choice." Lee ground his teeth together, fisting his hands and storming out.

~Present~

Rei smirked. "What's the matter, Lee? Can you no longer handle the intensity of my blade's attacks?" Lee's eye twitched rapidly, then smirked, and ordered his blade to change direction. The beyblade spun around, then shot around Rei's repeatedly, moving faster and faster.

After a moment, Lee's blade shot off in another direction, carving out a chunk of the stadium the size of a fist, and sent it flying towards Rei, nailing him directly in the ribs. The Chinese boy fell to his knees, gripping his waist tightly.

Kai jumped to his feet as Rei fell to his knees, Max and Kenny barely managing to hold him back.

"How DARE he!!!" Kai growled, fisting his hands to keep from punching Kenny and Max. "That selfish little bastard!!"

"Kai! Calm down!!" Max pleaded, pushing back on Kai's chest.

Rei winced, feeling a sharp throb in his chest with every breath. He looked up, glaring at Lee. Lee only smirked and ordered his blade to attack Rei's. Supporting himself on one hand, he winced then took a breath.

"Tiger Claw Attack!!" He managed to yell, struggling to one knee.

Kenny, Max and Kai watched breathlessly.

"But.....he doesn't have Drigger.....why is he trying to use that attack?"

Lee crossed his arms, smirking as Rei's blade started to streak towards his own blade, but slowed down drastically as Rei started to lose focus, the pain overwhelming him.

Kai pulled forward a few steps, regardless of the fact that Kenny and Max had a hold of his arms, trying to pull him back to the bench.

"Let, GO!!! Rei needs help!!" He snapped, trying to jerk his arm free.

"Kai......Rei will be.....FINE!!" Kenny gasped, struggling to hold the angered teen back.

"I swear, Chief, if you don't let me go right now-"

"Kai, stay.....back." Kai froze at this request, and looked over at Rei. He had risen to a slouching/standing position, still glaring at Lee, who was smirking proudly.

"What's the matter, Rei? Your ribs starting to be a little too much for you? Maybe you should let your big, bad boyfriend blade for you. From what I hear, he was doing everything else for you."

"You shut your mouth Lee!! It figures you wouldn't be able to recognize concern and compassion; The only thing I ever got from you for emotions was hatred!!" Rei managed to straighten up all the way, releasing his side and pointing at Lee. "You listen to me, Lee! I never needed you! And since the very first time your hand hit my cheek, I have felt nothing but anger towards you! You may have thought I was scared of you Lee, but I would never be scared of a coward like you!!" Lee growled, fisting his hand around the item in his pocket again. >Why you little...>

~Flashback~

Rei stared up at Lee from where he had fallen, his cheek quickly turning red.

"You....you just hit me." Rei whispered, his eyes wide in shock. Lee folded his arms.

"Maybe that will teach you not to talk back to me." He hissed, growling when he saw anger swirling in Rei's eyes along with fear.

"That just gives me more of a reason to stand up to you, Lee."

~Present~

Rei continued to glare at him. "When I win this battle, Lee, you are to go home to China, and I NEVER want to see you again. Or the next time we meet, you will NOT be walking away from it on your own!! TIGER CLAW ATTACK!!!"

The blade must have sensed Rei's anger, because it ripped towards Lee's blade, tearing the dish to pieces as it shot towards the lion blade. Everybody watched in shock, except for Rei, who just held a steady glare at Lee, as the former Tiger Blade slammed directly into the Lion Blade, all but shattering the poor beyblade into a thousand pieces, the bit beast being the only piece still intact.

The rest of the Bladebreakers were stunned.

"He.....he used Tiger Claw Attack......without the bit. But......how......." Max tried to ask. Kai smirked.

"It's because of his bond with Drigger. Rei had such a strong devotion to his beast that Drigger is still connected with Rei. Rei was able to call on the legendary beast and use it's attack, without needing the bit."

Lee watched, stunned, as his blade scattered at his feet. He looked down at the pieces, then up at Rei, who was still glaring.

"How...."

"I've won. I don't want to see you again, Lee."

Kai shoved Max and Kenny off of him, running up to Rei.

"Rei! Are you alright?" Rei nodded, turning to grin at Kai.

"Yeah, I'm fine, thanks." Rei smiled, then closed his eyes with a sigh and leaned against Kai, exhausted. Kai smiled, wrapping his arms around Rei.

Lee growled, not willing to be so easily forgotten.

"REI!!" The black haired boy pulled away, looking at Lee in confusion and caution. "I refuse to let you get away from me so easily!!" Lee then pulled out his 'gift', aiming the .45 Colt directly at Rei, shocking everyone in the stadium.

"Lee! What the hell are you doing?!" Kai demanded, feeling fear lancing through him.

"I'm proving to everybody that if I can't have Rei, then no one can!!"

Rei watched all of this in shock. He didn't register the sound of the panicked crowd, or Jazzman shouting for someone to call the police. All he heard was the explosion of the gun as Lee pulled the trigger.

Then, to his horror, he felt someone run into him, shielding him, and could only watch as Kai dove in front of him and the bullet tore through Kai's chest on the right side, drops of his blood hitting Rei's clothing. He didn't care though as he caught Kai against him, instantly pressing his hand against the wound to slow the bleeding.

"Kai!! Kai, please, open your eyes!! Look at me Kai!!" The slate haired boy weakly lifted his head, coughing slightly as some security grabbed hold of Lee. "Oh, god, Kai, hold on, we're going to get you some help! Chief!!" Rei turned around to face Kenny. "Get ahold of an ambulance!! NOW!!!!" He added as Kenny didn't move at first. Looking back at Kai, he frowned. "Don't you DARE go to sleep, Kai!! You stay awake! KAI!!" Cursing, Rei ripped a long strip off his shirt, wrapping it around Kai's wound, then picking Kai up, carrying him on his back. "Let's get him out of here." He ordered, ignoring his throbbing ribs as he carried him outside.

Rei helped the paramedics load Kai into the ambulance, glaring at Lee as they led the traitorous boy to a patrol car. Shaking his head, Rei climbed into the vehicle, wincing as his ribs started demanding attention.

A few hours later, Rei sat beside a very pale Kai, clinging to the grey and blue haired boy's hand. "Come on, Kai, hang on. The doctor's said if you made it through the night, you'd be fine." Rei's eyes landed on the thick bandage on Kai's left side. "You took that bullet for me; You CANNOT leave me after that." Rei's own waist was wrapped in bandages as well, but only a thin layer, no where near as severe as Kai's.

Rei closed his eyes, ignoring the tear that slid down his cheek at this action, leaning his head against the bed and falling asleep to the sound of Kai's shallow breathing.

Rei groggily woke up the next morning, hissing as he sat up and his ribs throbbed. Rubbing his waist, he looked up at Kai, and his heart leapt in his throat as he saw he was awake. "Kai! You're alright!" Kai looked over at him, breathing deeply and closing his eyes for a moment.

"Hey." He said quietly, smiling slightly, then gently took hold of Rei's hand, opening it, placing something in it, and closing his hand again. Rei looked down at his hand in confusion, then opened it, and gasped.

"Kai....."

"I...was up all night before the tournement, fixing him." Kai explained, a weak but proud smile on his face as Rei continued to hold Drigger in his hand, studying the bitbeast in stunned amazment. There were no hints at all of the bit being broken.

"Oh, Kai....." Kai swallowed deeply, closing his eyes and gritting his teeth. "Kai? You alright?" Kai nodded weakly, still breathing heavily.

"I'm....fine. Just......the medicine.....wearing off." He managed to explain. Rei nodded, then jumped as someone knocked on the door.

"Rei? Can we come in?" Max's voice said from the other side of the door. Rei smiled.

"Yes, guys, come on in." Rei turned and watched as the rest of the team filed in quietly. Even Tyson was silent.

"Hey, Kai, how you feeling?" Kai opened one eye, looking over at Max.

"Like shit." Everyone laughed quietly, even Kai smiled as well as possible.

"Well, that's expected. Look what you went through." Rei reminded. Kai turned back to Rei, gripping his hand gently.

"I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, not when you're on the line." Rei sighed, placing Kai's hand against his cheek. The others looked at each other, grinned, and silently left the room, leaving the two alone. They didn't mind giving them some time to themselves; They had definately earned it.

~Follow-up -> 4 years later~

Max and Tyson admitted that they had feelings for each other a few weeks after the tournament, and are currently taking a vacation in Hawaii together.....on their honeymoon.

Kenny went on to create a better launcher and stadium, and is now a multi-millionaire, and the CEO of a huge blading corporation.

Lee was charged with attempted murder, and sentanced to 10 years in jail. We have yet to hear how he is doing.

The rest of the White Tigers went home to explain what happened between Rei and Lee, and are now helping to improve the village into a more modern town, which pleased Rei to no end.

Kai and Rei moved in together after Kai was completely healed in a house Rei bought, and have been together for 4 years now. They are planning to get married in the summer, and Rei's still working on convincing Kai to adopt a child. Good luck, Rei.

THE END

A/N: So, what did you think? TELL ME, TELL ME, TELL ME!!! Kai fans, be very thankful. For a while, I was considering making this a very sad story, and having Kai die right after he gives Drigger back to Rei. But I couldn't do that to Kai OR Rei!!! SO TELL ME IN A REVIEW WHAT YOU THINK!!!!!!