Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Vanilla Girl's Story of a Nobody ❯ Mix It Up Day ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-----
Mix It Up Day.
Mix—It—Up—Day.
Oh my goodness, has your school ever had a Mix It Up Day'? If you reply yes', I pity you, if you reply no', then I want you to be so nice to new people you meet in school that it's creepy and they run home and kill themselves.
I'm not even joking.
Today we had a Mix It Up Day', and all I can say is oh my goodness'. I'm not even joking.
It all started when the stupid guidance counselor, Mrs. Gorttam, thought that we needed—how did she put it?—a better and more reliable learning environment so we can all meet new people and get along. And so, she asked Principal Clark if we could have a Mix It Up Day'.
Mix It Up Day is where when you walk into lunch the aids are holding these baskets of jolly ranchers. They give you a jolly rancher and whatever color it is, is the color table you have to sit at (they color code the tables with paper and balloons). There are blue, pink, red, and green tables/jolly ranchers, and, when you get to the table with the new people you don't even recognize, you have to use these cards in the middle of the table in Styrofoam bowls with the stupidest questions on them to get to know them.
And believe me, these questions are stupid. There's “What's your favorite season and why?” “How you ever been bullied?” “What do you think of your classes?” “What do you (not who do you) hate?” and “What was your best or worst incident including a vacuum cleaner?”
Pretty nifty, huh?
And so Gorttam issued this thing and oh my goodness, I can not believe it.
-----
And so there I was, picking up my stuff a few seconds before the bell rung to indicate the beginning of lunch, minding my own business, and BOOM!, Mr. L announced that there would be a Mix It Up Day'.
Why couldn't I be sick today?
Mix It Up Day is social suicide, and I don't wanna die.
Why, oh why, couldn't I get a lunch detention?
So there I was, walking slowly to my locker, books and binders in hand. I slowly, slowly put in the combination—clockwise twice, stop at 30, counterclockwise once, stop at 1, clockwise right to 35, and kick locker open. I got my stuff for math with Mr. Ghan, and slowly, slowly closed the locker. Kayla and Alyssa (did I forget to tell you I made a few friends on the school AIM system?) were waiting for me at their lockers only a few down from mine, and we slowly, quietly walked down to the cafeteria. We put our books on the shelves outside the cafeteria, and walked in.
Oh my goodness.
There were star, circle, heart, and triangle balloons everywhere. An aid, Mrs. Santangeloos (who is also the Home Ec. teacher), walked up to us and gave me a green jolly rancher, Kayla a blue, and Alyssa a pink.
Thanks Mrs. Santangeloos.
And so I went to the lunch line and got some Stromboli. I waited for the line to move so I could pay and sit with the soon-to-be-new-friends. While waiting in the slow as malaises line, Sr. Campbell walked into the secluded line and got some Stromboli. Sr. Campbell is the substitute Spanish teacher, but today is his last day subbing. Now we have Señorita Stasko. She's a mean lady who wears ugly turtle-neck sweaters.
“Hey, Vanilla,” Sr. Campbell said in his deep voice. I looked up at him (because he is very tall), and said “Hi” in a quiet voice. He deserves some gratitude for not killing us. Yeah, we're that bad during first period.
Then I got to the end of the line and paid.
Oh my goodness.
Why can't Mrs. Gorttam have wanted to eat lunch with me today?
I looked for an empty seat at a green table, and saw a green circle with four other people at it. People I didn't know.
So I sat.
We didn't speak, didn't exchange names, didn't use the cards in the Styrofoam bowls to start conversations, didn't talk about school or bullies or teachers or vacuum cleaners.
We just sat there and ate, like you're supposed to at lunch.
I knew one of the kids from Mr. L's class, but we didn't say anything.
And lunch was over, just like that.