Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Where Your Loyalties Lie ❯ The Nonda`Kanoste (The Death Knight) ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: The Nonda`Kanoste (The Death Knight)

"Carly!" Enrique burst into the castle, ignoring the disapproving glances from all around him, "Please, I need help."

Carly glanced up from her parchment and took on look at the girl in Enrique's arms, blooding dripping down and staining the rich carpet. She shot up, "Follow me, we'll take her up to the medical room." She quickly pulled in a maid who was cleaning the windows, "Get the duchess, quickly now!"

Enrique followed Carly up to the medical room and gently placed the girl down on a bed, wiping sweat from his forehead, "Do you think she'll be okay?"

Carly rolled her eyes, "Do I look like a healer to you Enrique? Where did you find her?"

"Outside the city walls," Enrique replied, "She was just lying there, must've been exhausted. Poor girl, she was rambling about someone drowning and stuff."

Carly was observing the girl, "Uh-huh, lack of blood can make people delusional."

The door open and a pretty young girl stood in the doorway. Her flowing light brown hair was tied back loosely and her beautiful grey-blue eyes showed concern. Her hand flew to her mouth when she saw the bleeding girl, "Oh my gosh, what happened?"

"She's bleeding, ever since Enrique brought her in, unconscious too," Carly said briskly, "I hope you can save her, Flora. We don't need anymore deaths here and she looks like she might die soon if she doesn't get treatment."

"I'll do my best," Flora replied.

¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤

"Have you done it?" Carly asked the advisor who came in, bustling busy. She was sharpening her arrows and enforcing her longbow by an oak table.

"Yes, your Majesty," the advisor said, bowing low to her and presenting her with a piece of parchment, "That's all we have on him, I'm afraid, not much."

"Good enough," Carly said sarcastically, "It's not like I'm going to marry him. I'm trying to figure his movement and his motives, you're dismissed." She started to read the paper after the advisor left the room.

Johnny McGregor was born in Ithildin 18 years ago. His father was killed in battle and his mother died giving birth to him. He was trained at the castle ever since he was young and moved up through the ranks from a mere page to a top-ranked knight. He fought many battles and lead Ithildin to victory many times. He was trusted by the king and many of the people and he was always an honourable and determined fighter. But 5 years ago, he killed all five of the king's advisors in one assault, claiming to have done it for a 'good' cause. As a result of this massacre, the king vanquished Johnny to lifetime exile, outside Ithildin and cast a spell upon him to ensure that he would not return within the city walls. His activity was monitored for a short time outside Ithildin and reports have shown that he had been training hard ever since he was exiled. Numerous reports have also spotted him around several of the fallen cities that were once Ithildin's allies. He is currently known as the Nonda`Kanoste, theDeath Knight, for the number of deaths that befell people who crossed his path.

"Curse you," Carly muttered, banging the parchment on the table, her eyes glittering in fury, "How dare you break my alliances??? You will pay dearly for this, knight. I'll make sure that you won't get away with this treachery and this time, it won't be just exile, it'll be death."

¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤

Enrique gently wrapped a fresh bandage around the sleeping girl's wounded arm. The girl he brought in a few hours earlier was still sleeping, but at least Flora confirmed that she was in stable condition. The girl moaned and her beautiful aqua eyes slowly opened and met with Enrique's hazel eyes.

Enrique's eyes widened and fell speechless, simply gazing into the girl's eyes in awe.

"Where am I?" the girl whispered, "Who are you?"

"You're in Ithildin," Enrique replied, finding it strangely hard to talk, "I found you bleeding on the ground and took you to the castle. You're safe, don't worry, I won't harm you. My name's Enrique Giancarlo and I'm from around here."

"Head knight you mean," a familiar voice said light-heartedly.

Enrique grinned at Carly, "Good evening, the girl is conscious. Flora fixed her wounds up quite well."

"Good," Carly said, focusing her eyes on the girl, "My name's Carly Tariena Aiglos and I'm the princess of Ithildin."

The girl immediately tried to get up in a respectable position, her turquoise eyes wide with shock, "Forgive me your Majesty, I-"

"It's okay," Enrique whispered to her, "Formalities are merely customs here, they're not taken into account too seriously. Just call her Carly."

"Yes," Carly agreed, "And it would help if Enrique could remember that."

"Well…Carly," the girl said, saying her name as if she still felt that it wasn't right, "My name's Aquana Nenuvar and I thank you and your people for your help. I am forever in your debt." She turned to Enrique, her eye sparkling, "And to you, kind sir, thank you so much for rescuing me."

Enrique turned bright red and became so tongue-tied that the words that came out of his mouth made no apparent sense.

"He means to say you're welcome," Carly said sarcastically, "In his language of oblivion. Don't mind him, he's easily smitten by beautiful girls."

Aquana giggled and made Enrique turn even redder and he quickly exited the room.

Carly noticed the familiar embroidery on the girl's skirt, "Embroidery. You're from Lanthir!"

Aquana looked shocked and hung her head, "Yes, I am. Or should I say I was." Tears formed in her crystal blue eyes as she clutched her skirt tightly.

"Lanthir was demolished by Daeloth," Carly said, anger sparking her voice, "Lanthir was Ithildin's greatest ally. I will avenge the fall of your kingdom, I promise you."

"Daeloth sent a young Dark Knight to attack our kingdom," Aquana whispered, "And they took the leuthil. Our kingdom crumbled to pieces."

Fury boiled in Carly's eyes, "A knight? Who goes by the name of the Nonda`Kanoste?"

"That's the one," Aquana said, "I was lucky to escape…um…how do you know?"

Carly nodded curtly, "Let's just say that our paths have crossed. You can pick out an outfit from one of those drawer, your present clothes are worn. You're most welcome to stay here…may I ask your rank in Lanthir?"

"Sorceress in-training," Aquana answered softly, "Sorceress of 18 years."

A pleased smile lit Carly's face for the first time in days, "Excellent, you're my age and I'm a fully trained sorceress. We'll be able to practice until you're fully trained. I have some things to attend to now Aquana, rest well."

"Thank you so much your Majesty," Aquana said before quickly correcting herself, "I mean, thanks Carly."

Carly grinned, "That's better. I only act formal towards those who demand it of me. If you're hungry, hang tight, Enrique will be back with something for you to eat."

"Oh!" Aquana said, "That's would be wonderful."

"Enrique would not let you starve, that's for sure," Carly responded with a grin and a wink, "Be careful around him, he's one smooth charmer when he wants to be."

¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤

"You have failed," Daeloth said dangerously, drumming his bony fingers upon the oak pattern on his throne chair, "Explain yourself."

Johnny turned his back towards the dark, masked figure, "I have not failed. I was merely testing the strength of Ithildin. I told you, I will get you to the Imperium Gem, then both you and I came have what we want."

"With even a small fraction of the power of Morin, you should've been able to devastate the kingdom!" Daeloth snarled, his voice rising in anger with every word.

Johnny whirled around, anger dancing in his lilac eyes, "Half of this is your fault! You could've told me that the ruler of the kingdom was a girl!"

"Girl…man…dancing bear…I don't care," Daeloth said in fury, "Why does it matter who the ruler is? You only have to bring him or her to me and that will be final."

"I will," Johnny said, sighing, "Just give me time. I'll set off tomorrow again and capture the castle first. Still…" Johnny's eye flashed, "You could have told me the ruler was a stupid girl!"

"I did not know," Daeloth shot back with equal fury, "It was you who told me the ruler of Ithildin was a king, not a princess! If I was allowed within Ithildin then I wouldn't need you!"

"If you have such great powers why can't you bust into Ithildin yourself?" Johnny muttered, knowing he was trending on dangerous ground.

Fury boiled around Daeloth, nearly shattering the windows, "DON'T EVER QUESTION ME AGAIN OR YOU'LL PAY SORELY! YOU ARE HERE MERELY TO DO YOUR DUTY AND NOT QUESTION MY ORDERS!!! IS THAT CLEAR???"

"O-kay," Johnny said sarcastically, "Crystal. Don't be so touchy." He whirled back around, his black cape swishing in the air, "I'll be back." He stormed out the room and threw himself against the cold stone wall, raw power pulsing in his vein. Johnny chuckled when he easily produce flaming black fire in his palms, //The power of Morinwill be mine, all of it. You'll pay dearly for defying me, princess. You made a fool out of me today and I assure you it won't happen again. Prepare to surrender to the power of Morin!//

¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤

Aquana was resting in bed peacefully when Enrique stumbled inside, her aqua eyes lit up when she saw him and beckoned him over, a beautiful smile lighting her stunning face.

"Here," Enrique said awkwardly, trying to not blush or say anything stupid, handing the girl a tray full of food, "If you're hungry or anything…"

Aquana smiled up at him, "Thank you, your Honour."

Enrique immediately blushed as red as his rich cape, "Um…just call me Enrique, okay?"

Aquana pulled out a chair, "Would you like a seat? Keep me company, I'm not tired yet and I'm weary of all this sleep. I know I'm wounded, but I still need to move around somewhat."

Enrique sat down clumsily, his eyes never leaving the beautiful girl in front of him, "Carly said you come from Lanthir, is that true?"

"Yes," Aquana replied, "Lanthir's fate was sealed by the Nonda`Kanoste, the Death Knight, he spread plague and torture throughout the kingdoms. No one can stop him and he roams our lands freely, without boundaries, and kills everyone in his path."

"His real name is Johnny McGregor," Enrique added, his hazel eyes troubled, "He was here just before I found you. He was sent by Daeloth to kill Carly."

"He was???" Aquana cried, "Yet I sense no aura of death around. Usually, the aura of death of the areas in which he passed is so strong that even the strongest of knights can't pentrate the area."

"Carly drove him off," Enrique said, looking even more worried, "He promised to return to kill her, I fear for her life. All because of the Imperium Gem."

"That is truly a miracle," Aquana said in wonder, the food in front of her forgotten, "A time where the passing of the Nonda`Kanoste did not result in a massacre, maybe the heavenly lords have taken pity upon the people."

"That won't last very long," Enrique replied, "Ithildin is hanging by a single, fragile thread which is on the verge of snapping. Ithildin has always had its allies to aid it in such tragic times. Now we are alone, other allies have abandoned us in fear of being invaded, and the princess is still very young."

"Yet she has worked hard to earn her throne," Aquana responded, "In Lanthir, people tell of her braveness and determination, even though her father is dead. I've heard many rumors of the Imperium Gem, is it as powerful as it is told?"

"The Imperium Gem is in Carly's possession, it's one orb-like jewel thing," Enrique replied, "Inside the gem contains the sacred powers of 6 major elements, Ice, Fire, Water, Thunder, Wind, and Magic. If the gem is used in the hands of evil, the whole world will plunge into darkness and we'll be doomed. If Daeloth gets his greedy hands upon the gem, he'll be able to use his powers to turn all the elements into dark powers."

"Daeloth has cursed many people in his life," Aquana replied, looking miserable all of a sudden, "I will kill him for destroying Lanthir."

Enrique smiled at her, "Many are after his blood." He took her hand and bent down to kiss it, making Aquana blush scarlet, "I must go now, call for me if you ever need assistance. I bid you good night, milady."

¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤ ~ * ~ ¤

The next morning, everyone in the castle woke early, preparing for whatever the day would bring them. "Oh! Where are you going?" Flora asked, worriedly, "Carly?" She hurried after the princess who was walking out briskly.

"Our intruder will surely attack again," Carly said, throwing a bundle of sharp arrows into her quiver, "I will be the first to greet him." She smirked, her emerald eyes glowing dangerously, "Wouldn't want to be rude."

"Carly, are you sure you will not stay here?" Enrique asked, testing his blade against the wall, his hazel eyes concerned, "We don't know what trick he'll have up his sleeve this time."

"I am absolutely certain."

Enrique sighed, "Very well, persuading you is like trying to pull a tree out of its grown roots deep within the ground. Flora, look after Aquana, okay? She's still asleep."

"Of course," Flora said, raising a curious eyebrow, her grey eyes sparkling "Has something happened during the night?"

"Master Enrique has fallen in love," Carly said with a teasing voice, tying her boots tightly, "He fancies her. I'm surprised he hasn't kissed her yet."

"Mind your tongue princess," Enrique chided, blushing, "And don't make assumptions."

"Flora, tend to the castle while I'm gone," Carly said, "I won't be long."

"Sure Carly," Flora replied, "I will, but are you sure you wouldn't like me to come along? I could fight them as well, I may be a healer, but I possess some strong spells."

"Thanks for the offer Flora," Carly said, "But this is between him and me, I don't even know why Enrique's coming. You're needed at the castle more than you are at the battlefield, don't worry my friend, one day, your spells will come to great use."

"Then I shall wait for that day," Flora said in a dreamy voice, "And the day that I meet my true love…"

Carly snorted, "That's a bunch of junk. You and Enrique…" Carly shook her head, "What's up with you two and your constant reminders of love? You'd think that you couldn't live without such a fairytale dream."

"When you fall in love Carly…" Enrique started with a grin.

"…you'll understand," Flora finished for him, smiling as well.

"Don't give me that!" Carly scoffed, "With who??? Huh? With that no-good, I'm-perfect-and-everyone-should-worship-me Lord? I swear, I have to find a way to kill my fiance before I totally lose my mind! Enrique, let's go!" She whirled around and started outside, her emerald eyes flashing, //Fall in love, indeed! I've never heard such foolish rubbish in my entire life. If I could only find out what the missing parts of my life are, then maybe this will start to make sense. Watch out Nonda`Kanoste, I'm going to make you regret that you've ever crossed paths with me. You want to embrace dark powers? Then I'll make sure that you burn in the pits of Hell.//