Big O Fan Fiction ❯ Enigma ❯ Who Am I? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rating: Teen.
It's a pretty clean story, except for some language and some references. Not many of those, though. So, enjoy.
 
Disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN BIG O. I don't know who does, but it sure as hell ain't me. If it were, I would be getting paid serious cash for this.
 
Who am I? This thought persisted in the wanderer's mind. He couldn't remember who he was, where he was, or why he was there. All he knew was that something was calling to him from the distant horizon. He continued walking, following the call of whatever was leading him. He passed a marketplace as he traveled through the outskirts of the city. He breathed in the scents surrounding him. He loved it, he felt as if this was the first time he had enjoyed himself in a long time, even if he had no memory.
He passed a shop that had a window. It was reflecting the surroundings, so he stopped and looked at himself. He didn't recognize who he was, he began to feel anxious as the feeling of dislike entered his mind as he continued looking at the reflection. He didn't like the person looking back at him, he felt anger towards him for some reason. He turned and continued on his path. He felt better as he left the city.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Jason Beck was having immense trouble in his android manufacturing. He couldn't seem to be able to replicate the delicate skin, which housed the many small number of nerves, that each android should have. He had studied Dori's for hours on end, but he still wasn't making any headway. He sighed. He couldn't wait to get his hands on some of Timothy Wayneright's notes. Dorothy was still hogging them, saying that she wasn't finished going through them.
“First they ask me to build some more androids, then they won't give me the plans to do it.” Beck grumbled to himself.
“Dorothy said she would be done analyzing the materials by the end of the week.” Dori chimed in from the kitchen, where she was making dinner for Beck.
“Yeah, I know I should be patient, but I'm just so damn bored.” Beck replied. His reality weapons research was being put off, partly because he didn't entirely understand how it worked, but mostly because Angel had threatened to kill him if he continued into it. Also, Big B was finally complete after weeks of round-the-clock work done by his team, but there was nothing to test the weapons out on. Paradigm had been quiet for the past few weeks and it was driving Beck insane. Even the small-time con jobs and other criminal activities had died down. Beck was so bored, he would have accepted an offer of a double date, with Roger and Dorothy.
“Oh, Jason, I almost forgot. Dorothy invited us to dinner with her and Roger tomorrow night.” Dori called from the kitchen.
Beck grimaced and struck that last thought from his mind. He wasn't that desperate for something to do. Eventually, Beck gave up on trying to get anywhere with the research, at least for tonight. Instead, he went into the kitchen, sat at the table, and watched Dori cook. “Honey, can I help?” Beck offered.
“For the last time, No. I need to figure this out by myself.”
Beck inwardly groaned. His last meal prepared By Dori had been unrecognizable. He had asked what it was. She had told him it was pork-chops, but it had resembled something more like two small, rubber tires that had been cooking on a fire for two days.
When he heard the wrist-watch Roger had given him start beeping, he almost cheered for joy. He pushed a button on the side of it and Norman's face appeared.
“I apologize for the intrusion, Mister Beck. However, there have been some unusual seismic anomalies to the west of the city. Master Roger is heading an investigation. I do suggest that you join him, should things become uncomfortable.”
“Norman,” Beck cackled with a goofy grin on his face, “You are my goddamn messiah. Thank you for giving me a reason to get the heck out of this place before I explode.”
“Of course, Mister Beck.” Norman replied.
Beck cut the transmission and turned to Dori. “Honey, we have some work to do outside the city. Big B, Act-” he started, but Dori cut him off.
“Jason, what about dinner?” She asked.
Beck looked at the pot of stew she was holding. He could swear he saw something that looked like a tongue in it. “We might get in a little late, so we'll get takeout.” He said, noticing Dori's disappointment. “Don't worry, you can cook tomorrow.” he relented.
Dori perked up. “Ok, let's go then.” she said with excitement in her voice, “Big B, Action.” She yelled while running to the megadeuce.
Beck followed her, grinning the whole time.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
“Dorothy, are Big O's sensors picking up anything.” Roger asked, while continually piloting Big O farther west from the city.
“Roger… It's a megadeuce, but it's different.” Dorothy replied. The probe cables were stuck into her skull cavity, giving her greater access to Big O and his instruments.
“What do you mean different?”
“I don't know… It feels old.” Dorothy commented.
“Well, shouldn't it be old, having been out here for so long?” Roger asked, his trigger happy reflexes getting anxious.
“No, it's something else. He senses us, but he doesn't want to respond to me, he wants to be left alone.” She answered.
“Does that mean he's crazy.” Roger asked, getting nervous.
“No… he's tired.” Dorothy replied, “He seems to be sane, though.”
“Is the core memory intact?”
“The core memory is intact, but he wants to forget something.”
Roger sat there quietly, “This is definitely different from what we're used to.” He finally said.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
He had found it. He had found what was calling him. It was massive… no, he was massive. He had been calling him, hoping for him to help. To help him forget.
“What do you want to forget?” the wanderer asked.
The massive machine formed his thoughts and sent them to the wanderer. `Something horrible.' he had replied.
“I don't remember anything. How can I help you forget?” the wanderer asked.
The machine gathered his thoughts and replied, `Enter and you will remember.'
The wanderer paused, “I don't think I want to remember.” he responded.
`We must all remember at one point, it's what helps us forget. I remember you. You can help me.' the machine sent this thought to the wanderer and opened an access panel.
The wanderer didn't move, he didn't want to go inside. He felt that if he did, he wouldn't be happy for as long as he lived. However, something forced him to step inside the machine and climb to the control room.
He climbed and finally entered a semi-circular room. There was a large chair almost completely surrounded by a circular control panel. He sat down and breathed deeply. A name entered his mind. He voiced the name, “Big Enigma, Action.”
The cockpit came to life as controls lit up and monitors turned on. The wanderer had gone rigid, his mind was being filled with information he didn`t want. He saw himself, amid a sea of bodies and… megadeuces. He had been empty. He had lost his soul. He had wanted to die and was given his request, but not before he had nearly destroyed the world.
Suddenly, the wanderer came back to reality. The memories receded, and he caught snippets of information. “My name is Edward.” he said quietly.
Big Enigma felt a small spark of happiness. His Dominus had returned. All would be better now.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Angel dropped the fork, which she had been eating her dinner with. No. she screamed at her subconscious. Not him Not again.
She stepped forward and found herself in Big Venus' control room. “Big Venus, tell me it's not him.” she pleaded.
Big Venus merely turned on the monitor in front of Angel. When Angel saw Big Enigma, she screamed on frustration. “We can't have this happen again. Is Edward sane right now?” She asked Big Venus.
Big Venus nudged an affirmation to Angel, who sighed. “Well, hopefully he stays that way this time.” She said as she continued to watch Big Enigma's systems come back online.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Big B made his way to Big O's position. Beck was feeling immensely better now that he was with Big B again. Big B felt even better, the anticipation of a fight focused his attention.
“Jason, I've received word from Dorothy that the seismic activity was produced by a megadeuce.” Dori said plainly, with the probes connecting her and Big B, firmly attached to the interior of her skull.
“Good. Is it crazy? Please tell me it's crazy.” Beck excitedly pleaded. “Big B and I have been cooped up to long. We need some excitement.”
Dori looked at Beck and rolled her eyes. Men. She thought to herself. Big B took offense to the comment. Don't worry, Big B. It's okay to be masculine, sometimes. Dori told him with a smile.
Big B forgave her. He liked to fight, but he loved Dori.
“No, Jason, it's not crazy, but Dorothy says it's different.” Dori answered Beck, having taken only a nano-second for her to talk to Big B. Being a super-intelligent android had it's advantages.
“What does she mean different?” Beck demanded.
Dorothy didn't hear him, she was too busy focusing on the new megadeuce. She opened her eyes. “Jason, he wants to talk to us.”
“Who?” Beck questioned.
“The Dominus.” Dori answered.
Beck was worried about what she said about this megadeuce being different, but he let it slide. He wanted to know what he was dealing with. “Fine, open a video channel.” Beck replied.
In front of him, a monitor flickered to life showing a slim, young man, with short, dark brown hair, and blue-green eyes. He had an intense expression on his face, but it softened a little when he spoke. “Hello. My name is Edward.” He said calmly, “I'm sorry for the disturbance that Big Enigma and I have caused. You don't have to worry, we don't wish to harm anyone. You can return to the city.”
Jeez, kind of young, isn't he. Beck thought to himself. He can't be more than twenty years old. Beck paused for a moment, then responded. “I don't think so, bub. I want to know what you plan to do with your new buddy.”
Edward replied calmly, “Big Enigma and I just wish to be alone for a while, we have no feud with Big B or Big O.” Edward looked to his left as another voice addressed him.
Roger's voice came through the monitor. “I understand your wishes, however, my friend tells me that Big Enigma hasn't been in operation for a long time. We would feel much better if you accompanied us to the city, where we could do a complete diagnostic scan on Big Enigma.”
Edward gave a small smile, “I appreciate your concern. However, Big Enigma is capable of self-restoration. He has never shown any signs of deficiency. We can take care of ourselves.” Suddenly, Edwards smile faded. “Is that an android?” He asked.
“Yes,” Roger replied, “That's Dorothy. Why do you ask?”
Edward turned his attention to the monitor showing Beck. “You have an android as well?” He asked.
Dori could hear the pain in his voice. She was concerned. “Yes,” she replied before Beck could answer, showing herself in the view of the camera, “My name is Dori. Dorothy is my sister.” She paused for a moment, “Are you alright? You seem to be in pain.”
Edward opened his mouth to answer, but something held him back. Instead he lowered his head and asked Big Enigma to cut the transmission. Big Enigma obliged and Edward sat in silence. “Iris.” He said, speaking to no one.
 
That's the first chapter. If you have any feedback or comments, feel free to review. I'm kidding. Please, I`m begging you to review it I am very self-conscious about this story. I wrote it a year ago and I just finally got the courage to put it up.
 
Also, some aspects of this story may confuse you. Mostly the friendship between Beck and Roger. Also, the new character, Dori. Technically, she isn't new. She's part of an old fan fiction that was written awhile ago. I've just taken bits and pieces of that story to create this one. I have to give credit to A Clockwork Tomato. They wrote an entire fourth season to Big O and it was just amazing. Props to you, Clockwork.