Big O Fan Fiction ❯ Enigma ❯ Just Another Day ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rating: Teen.
It's a pretty clean story, except for some language and some references. Not many of those, though. So, enjoy.
 
Disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN BIG O. I don't know who does, but it sure as hell ain't me. If it were, I would be getting paid serious cash for this. I think.
 
“What the hell was that all about?” Beck said to no one in particular.
After Edward ended the transmission. Dorothy and Dori tried to get Big Enigma to tell them what was happening, but the megadeuce remained silent, faithful to his Dominus. After standing out there for nearly two hours, Dori and Dorothy agreed that it would be best to leave and return with, hopefully, a better understanding of the situation. Roger and Beck, unhappily, returned Big O and Big B to their respective hangars, then met at Roger's, where the current conversation was taking place. Roger was seated next to Dorothy, on a couch, opposite Dori and Beck, who were seated on another couch. Norman was standing at attention, as usual.
“Well, a simple answer would be that androids is a sore subject for Edward.” Dori replied.
“Yes, he seemed shaken when he was made aware of our presence.” Dorothy added.
“Then how do we deal with this?” Roger asked.
“Do you think it's possible that during a previous cycle, Edward was traumatized by an event involving an android.” Dori asked Dorothy, ignoring Roger's question.
“Yes, it's possible. Since Dominus' seem to reappear in certain cycles.” Dorothy answered.
“I wonder if Angel knows anything about him.” Beck wondered out loud.
“Speaking of Angel,” Roger interrupted, “Have you seen her today, Norman?”
“She left earlier today to have dinner with General Dastun, Sir.” Norman replied.
As he said this, the elevator pinged and everyone watched as Dastun entered the room. He saw everyone looking at him and immediately became uncomfortable, “What?” he asked.
“Where's Angel?” The Wayneright sister's asked in unison.
Dastun winced, “Don't do that,” He said, “It creeps me out.” Then he sighed and sat on the closest couch. “We were having dinner, then she dropped her fork and got this horrible expression on her face, like the world was about to end. Then she disappeared into thin air.”
Roger turned to Dorothy, “Well, this turned out to be an exciting day. One second, peace and quiet. The next, a possibility that the world might end.”
“Should we wait for Angel to return?” Dori asked.
“It's possible she won't be in until morning,” Roger replied, “Besides, with no apocalypse on the horizon… Big Venus is safe to be around, so we shouldn't even bother to let ourselves worry.”
“Louse.” Dorothy commented.
Roger smiled at Dorothy and kissed her on the cheek. “You know me so well,” He said before standing up and walking towards the elevator, “I'm going to get some sleep. Don`t bother trying to wake me if Angel shows up.”
Beck smiled. He was impressed that Roger could be so calm at a time like this. He turned to Dori, “Do you think we should head out too, babe?” He asked, “Crow boy's probably right in saying Angel won't pop up till morning.”
Dori looked with uncertainty at Dorothy, who nodded slightly. “I suppose, we can hold off on worrying for a few hours.” Dori said as she stood.
Beck grinned and walked with her to elevator. When they were gone, Dorothy looked at Dastun. “General, you should rest as well.” She said in her normal, expressionless, voice.
Dastun stood, “Yeah, no sense worrying until we're absolutely certain something's wrong, right?” He said, unconvincingly.
Dorothy nodded and Dastun breathed out to calm himself, then left for his room.
“Dorothy, are you going to wait for Angel to arrive?” Norman asked, adopting the familiar way he talked to Dorothy when they were alone.
Dorothy didn't answer. She stood and headed toward the elevator.
“I see. I'll inform you when she gets in, then.” Norman said before returning to his duties.
Norman had barely registered on Dorothy's mind. She was too concerned about dealing with this new Dominus. His facial pattern suggested that he had became severely unstable when he saw her. She would just have to wait to ask Angel. Dorothy entered the elevator and took it to the penthouse on the top floor. When she exited the elevator, she immediately headed towards the bar, where she knew Roger would be. Roger was sitting in a chair holding a half-empty bottle of champagne. He took a large swig, before noticing her.
Roger smiled. “You know right when to enter a room, don't you.” He remarked, as a statement more than a question.
Dorothy continued to look at him in silence. After a few moments, Roger stood and embraced her. She placed her arms around him in return. “I do get worried sometimes.” Roger said.
“I know.” Dorothy replied.
She allowed him to turn her chin with his hand, so they were looking into each other's eyes. She lifted herself onto her toes, so their faces were closer, then he kissed her.
Roger loved the feel of her. Her lips were soft and inviting. The clothing she wore let off a faint aroma of lavender. He couldn't stop thinking about her sometimes. He loved everything about her, even the damn piano playing.
He began to feel weak, as he usually did when he touched her, but he steadied himself. After a full minute, he pulled back. He saw that she was smiling. He leaned in and kissed her again. They eventually made their way into the bedroom.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Big Enigma was beginning to worry about his Dominus. He had been sitting in the control seat, doing nothing for the past few hours, after he had seen the androids. Big Enigma empathized with his Dominus. He, too, remembered Iris. She had loved them and they had loved her, but now she was gone. She could not come back like he could. Her core memory was destroyed long ago.
Big Enigma made a decision. He would ask the Dominus' of Big O and Big B to help his Dominus. Edward needed to be happy. Big Enigma couldn't stand another war. He had killed too many of his brothers and sisters. He didn't want to kill those who were only trying to help.
As slowly as he could, Big Enigma emerged from underground. His Dominus was still in a trance. He might be able to get to the city without alerting his Dominus. Then he could ask for help.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Angel watched the scene unfold in front of her. She was amazed by this. Big Enigma was attempting to help repair his Dominus' psyche, instead of taking advantage of it. She smiled, “Maybe this won't end as badly as we thought.” She said to Big Venus. However, Big Venus was unsure, she remembered the one-man war that Edward had started. Edward had killed countless megadeuces' and Dominus'. He would need more than what they had to offer to take back control from his darkness.
“Don't worry, girl,” Angel assured, “We'll think of something. Edward would be an invaluable ally.”
Big Venus was still worried.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Beck and Dori had arrived at Hangar B and were making last minute checks on Big B. The systems scan showed that everything was in proper order, but Beck, being the paranoid insomniac that he is, wanted to double-check everything. Dori didn't complain. She was grateful she had something to focus her attention on, so she could forget about the events from earlier that day.
Dori had changed into a pair of work jeans and a blue, long-sleeved shirt. During the events of the massive systems check, she got grease in her hair, ripped a hole in her jeans, and lost an arm sleeve off her shirt. She wasn't phased at all, though. She talked with Big B while working. She was so immersed in the work, that she didn't realize that Beck was standing behind her. She turned and nearly screamed.
“Jason!” she said after recovering from the initial shock, “You scared me, don't sneak up on me like that.”
Beck merely grinned, then leaned down and kissed her. “You shouldn't scare so easy, then.” He replied, but Dori didn't hear him. She was too busy looking into his eyes. Beck noticed this and dropped the stupid grin. He returned her gaze.
Neither of them did anything for a few moments, then Dori jumped up and wrapped her arms around Beck's neck, who in turn, barely managed to keep her in the air. Dori leaned in and kissed him, while he was trying very hard not to drop her, thereby keeping his neck nice and unbroken. Her petite frame might have suggested she weighed very little, but in fact was about three times the weight of a normal man. This was a downside of being an android.
After a few moments, Dori pulled back from the kiss. Beck placed her, gently, back on the floor. Dori took Beck's hand and led him to the elevator, where they continued the kiss, until they reached the apartment level.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Big Enigma had reached the outskirts of the city. His Dominus was still unaware of his surroundings, so time, what little of it there was, was still on Big Enigma's side. He made his way into the city, careful to avoid buildings and people. He didn't enjoy killing and destroying those who couldn't defend themselves. It gave him no pleasure. The other reason he tried not to cause collateral damage, was because he didn't want to be stopped right now. He needed to forget about his past and for that, his Dominus needed to be happy.
Big Enigma reached out lightly to his Dominus' consciousness, to make sure he was alright, and was barraged with memories that his Dominus was experiencing. His Dominus was remembering Iris. The day they were introduced, which was minutes after Big Enigma had allowed Edward to enter his control room to test him. Edward had proved himself to be the true Dominus. When he met Iris, he fell in love. Iris was a slender android, with full-length black hair, and haunting blue eyes. Edward had loved her, Iris had loved him. Big Enigma cared for both of them. The battle against the crazy Big Fau ended with Iris dead. Edward demanded that the military rebuild her, but her plans and copies of core memories had been destroyed during the battle, so Edward went insane. He forced Big Enigma to kill many Dominus' and megadeuces. The military sent men to kill Edward. Edward wanted to die, but he needed to be killed fairly. No one could beat him and Big Enigma. Near the end, there was only a few left; Big Venus, Big O, Big B, and some others. Big Venus reset the world, but she couldn't destroy Big Enigma. Big Enigma was different. Reality technology didn't affect him.
These memories swirled through Big Enigma as he continued to try and find the other Dominus'. Edward needs Iris. Big Enigma thought quietly.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
The Wayneright sisters, at exactly the same moment, shot out of their beds in the middle of the night and dressed as quickly as they could. They could sense Big Enigma drawing near. They each awoke their respective lovers and told them of the situation. Roger and Dorothy headed to Big O, while Beck and Dori headed to Big B. The arrived above ground at the same time and headed to intercept Big Enigma.
Big Enigma could sense Big O and Big B. He sent a transmission to both of them saying he was friendly and wished to talk. Dorothy and Dori relayed the message to Roger and Beck, who agreed, as long as they met at a warehouse district, owned by Beck. Big Enigma understood that they wanted him out of the general populace and agreed.
When Roger saw Big Enigma, he was taken aback at how much he resembled Big Venus, but Big Enigma had a slight blue tinge to his features.. He stared at the megadeuce, then asked Dorothy what the situation was.
“Roger, Big Enigma is acting of his own accord. Edward is currently unconscious and unresponsive.” Dorothy said while listening to Big Enigma.
“What does Big Enigma want?” Roger asked, taking control of whatever negotiating was taking place.
“He knows that Edward is unhappy.“ Dorothy answered, “According to him, Edward misses their android, Iris. She was killed in a different cycle and couldn't be brought back. Without her, Edward went insane and killed many people.” Dorothy paused. “Big Enigma wants Edward to be happy. He wants us to build him an android.”
“Well, that might be difficult seeing as we haven't been able to produce a single android, yet. Not to mention candidate selection for core memories.” Roger stated.
“Big Enigma doesn't care about difficulty or how long it will take. He wants Edward to be happy, so he needs an android.” Dorothy relayed.
“Alright. Tell him, we'll start on it right away.” Roger answered. “However, we need two things in return for this.” He added.
“Big Enigma says that he will agree with any reasonable request.” Dorothy relayed.
“Okay,” Roger began, “One: We need to put him somewhere safe and out of the general populace. Two: We need to extricate Edward from him. Edward needs to be watched, until the construction is complete, to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. I don`t like the thought of someone who's killed before, out on the streets. ”
Dorothy relayed the request to Big Enigma, who was uncomfortable at the thought of being separated from Edward, but he understood their concern. After a few moments of consideration, he agreed.
“He accepts the offer.” Dorothy stated.
“Good. Ask him to follow us.” Roger said as he turned Big O around.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
“So, you want me to build him an android… terrific.” Beck started with annoyance, as he was sitting with Dori, Dorothy, and Roger around a table in his apartment. “I may know how to create core memories, but that doesn't mean I have the materials to get an android up and running.”
“We can worry about that after you've reviewed father's notes.” Dorothy calmly replied. “Right now, we must find a suitable place to hold Edward.”
“Well he's not staying here.” Beck retorted.
“Why not?” Dori asked, concern in her voice.
Beck looked at his lover and sighed, “I know you're worried about him Dori, but it would be much better if he stayed at Roger's. I mean, they got a police office on the premises.”
“I agree with Beck,” Roger added, “We can outfit a door to lock from the outside easily enough, and we can put a guard on his room.”
Dori was still concerned. “I think he just needs to talk to someone.” She suggested, “Grief is better dealt with if you have someone to talk to.”
“If Big Enigma wasn't able to talk him through it,” Dorothy stated, “Then I doubt we would fare better.”
Dori looked down and thought for a moment, “I still want to try.” She said.
Roger and Beck looked at each other. Beck gave in and nodded.
“We'll work something out so you can speak to him safely.” Roger said to Dori, “Now, is Big Enigma going to be safe in that warehouse of yours, Beck.”
“He'll be fine. No one knows about it, and anyone who tries to get in will be burned to a crisp on the fence. One hundred thousand volts packs quite a punch.” Beck replied with a semi-evil grin.
“Alright, well if this is settled, Dorothy and I will be leaving,” Roger began as he stood, “We'll have those notes sent over tomorrow.” He paused and looked at the couch where, Edward, still unconscious, was lying, adorned with handcuffs. “Dorothy, do you mind?” He asked.
Dorothy nodded in reply and picked Edward up from the couch.
“Have a good evening.” Roger said as he and Dorothy made their way to the Griffon.
Dori turned to Beck. “I'm going to visit with him tomorrow.” She said, stating a fact.
Beck sighed. He knew there was no use arguing. “Whatever you want, babe.”
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Big Enigma was lonely. He wanted Edward to be with him, but he knew if Edward didn't have Iris or someone else, he would kill again. Big Enigma didn't want this, so he continued to stand in the darkness of the warehouse, waiting.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Angel was happy with the current circumstances. As long as Edward was separated from Big Enigma, he was mostly harmless. She took one more draft from her cigarette before putting it out on the floor. She addressed Big Venus, “I don't think we have to worry, at least not right now.” She paused, but Big Venus remained silent. “I know you're not convinced, but there's nothing we can do right now to make things any better. Now I'm going to go back up to the real world and apologize for stepping out on my dinner with Dastun, okay?”
Big Venus gave in and let her go. Maybe there was nothing to worry about, but something made her think otherwise.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Edward woke up, confused about his surroundings. He was in a bed. He tried to get up, but he was handcuffed to the bedpost. He looked around and jumped when he saw a woman sitting in a chair next to the door. “Who are you and why am I handcuffed?” He demanded.
The woman didn't respond, instead, she stared at him. This continued for nearly a minute, at which point Edward was beginning to feel uncomfortable. Her eyes reminded him of something. “My name is R. Dorothy Wayneright,” she finally replied, “We met yesterday.”
He was confused. She seemed familiar. Then he remembered the other megadeuces. He looked at her, sadness returning to his face. “You're an android.” He said to himself as he lied back on the bed.
“Yes,” she said, then paused. “Would you like something to eat?” She offered.
Edward looked at her and shook his head, then he began to stare at the ceiling.
Dorothy stood. She was going to bring him something anyways. She started for the door when Edward stopped her.
“Please,” he began, “Don't leave.”
Dorothy turned around and looked at him. There was a sadness in his expression, but also a longing. Dorothy considered for a moment. She knocked on the door three times, then sat back down. A few minutes later, an officer entered the room with a tray of food. He set it on the nightstand next to the bed, then left. Edward looked at the tray for a moment, then returned his attention to the ceiling.
“Iris.” He whispered.
Dorothy heard and began thinking of Roger.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Beck awoke to the smell of something burning. `No… please just let the building be under attack.' He pleaded silently.
He lifted himself off the bed and headed towards the kitchen. His prayers went unanswered. Dori was standing in the kitchen, over the stove, adding multiple ingredients into a frying pan, and mixing them in. Beck walked up behind her.
“Good morning, Jason.” Dori said, cheerfully.
“Honey, don't I usually cook breakfast?” He asked, worried about the upcoming meal.
“Yes, but I couldn't find anything to do while you were asleep, and you said I could cook today.” Dori answered, busy preparing the meal. “As a matter of fact, that's the first night you've gotten any real sleep in a long time.”
Beck was surprised, he had been up for a few hours studying his research into android technologies, he didn't even realize he'd fallen asleep. It didn't matter though, he was more concerned about what was cooking in that frying pan.
“What are you making there?” He asked.
“A recipe of yours, with a few surprise ingredients.” Dori replied with a smile.
Beck groaned inwardly. He didn't feel like going to the hospital today. “What about Edward,” he asked, “Weren't you going to visit him today?”
“Yes, but I called Dorothy an hour ago. She said he hasn't woken up yet. She told me she was going to watch him, to make sure that when he woke up, he wouldn't be upset about being handcuffed to a bed.” Dori answered, still focused on the frying pan.
“Well, I'll call them quick to see if he's woken up yet.” Beck said while making his way to the phone.
“You can do that after you eat,” Dori ordered, “The food's ready.”
Damn, why did it have to be today that I actually got some good sleep. Beck cursed silently to himself.
 
That's the second chapter. If you have any feedback or comments, feel free to review. NO!!! REVIEW PLEASE!!! I'VE HAD STORIES ON HERE FOR AWHILE AND NOBODY EVER REVIEWS THEM. IT MAKES ME SUPER SELF-CONSCIOUS. HELP!!!
 
As I wrote before the new character, Dori, and the friendship between Beck and Roger along with some other aspects, were part of a continuation by A Clockwork Orange. They wrote an entire third season to Big O and have been working on a fourth for a few years, so unfortunately, I'm not expecting that to be continued. It was a darn good story, though. So once again, props to you, Clockwork.