Big O Fan Fiction ❯ State of Grace ❯ Chapter 1: Human Beings ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

State of Grace

Chapter one: Human Beings

By Devon Masterson

"These things forever change us…"- Seal, "State of Grace"

Roger opened his eyes and groaned as the sunlight streamed in through the heavy tapestry like curtains of his room. He sat up slowly then clutched his side. "It hurts like hell," he thought as he threw back the covers with the other arm. It was when he noticed that his arm was bandaged. Not wanting to irritate any further injuries he got out of bed gingerly.

"The doctor said you should stay in bed two more days."

Roger turned toward the dark corner of the room and frowned. He wondered what in the devil was she doing his room. She looked like she had been there for quite some time. What was going on? "My room is not a hangout," he snapped in annoyance.

Dorothy merely looked at him expressionless and chose to ignore him. "I know how stubborn you are and the doctor gave strict orders."

"Exactly what happened to me?" he asked. "The last thing I remember is being in the cockpit with you and Big O."

"We fought the megadeii that were coming to destroy the city," Dorothy answered.

"We?" he queried with an eyebrow raised. His mind was a little fuzzy but he remembered vaguely being in the cockpit with her and a battle about to start, but again the whole thing was fuzzy.

"Yes, I was your left arm since you were hurt," she answered.

"I take it the battle was successful given that I am still alive," he remarked, "barely." He struggled to put on his robe.

Dorothy quickly moved towards him and took the robe from him. She tossed the robe to the side and proceeded to push him down on to the bed. "You are to stay in bed Roger Smith," she said with more stress than her usual monotone.

"I'm fine," he argued as he tried to push against her.

"I'm afraid I will have to agree with Miss Dorothy, Master Roger," Norman commented as he walked into the room carrying a tray. "You gave us quite a scare and you've been unconscious for the past five days."

"Five days?" he asked in disbelief. He sighed then stopped struggling. He wasn't getting any where, his arm hurt, and he was too hungry to raise the hell he would have if he were feeling a hundred percent.

"Yes, Master Roger." Norman placed the tray across Roger's lap. He was quite pleased that famous negotiator did not put up a huge fuss about having to take his breakfast in bed. The older gentleman knew it was only because Dorothy was holding him down and he was too weak, that was evident in the pout that he was wearing. "My, I haven't seen that look in quite sometime," he nearly smirked as he left. "We'll talk more about it after you eat." He started to leave.

"Take Dorothy with you," he remarked. "I don't need her stalking while I eat as well."

Norman nodded and Dorothy merely looked at him. "Come on along, Miss Dorothy."

Anyone else witnessing the scene would have seen that she was insulted but she said nothing. She was just happy that he was awake even if she had to deal with his attitude about being cooped up. He would get over it and things would go back to normal between them or close enough. She was not sure how things would be now that she had admitted her feelings to him. She was not sure how he felt about her. Obviously, this was not the time to ask him about it. He would be snippy for awhile. A good meal to get his strength up and some more rest then he would be right as rain as the cliché went.

As the door closed, Roger started to eat. Five days of his life gone without a trace. He wasn't too worried about not being able to recount a few days. He lived in Paradigm. There were people who lost who lost life times a few days, months, years were nothing; a drop in the bucket. The most important thing was where he would go from here, once his warden let him out. There were answers that he still needed. He was pretty sure RD had been destroyed when Big O showed up, but he had to make sure that loose end was taken care of as well.

He almost shivered as he recalled how much she looked like Dorothy. That totally threw him off. Why would Wayneright make a killer android that looked like Dorothy? Everything in his life seemed to interconnect with some complex, clandestine conspiracy every since he took the job that led him to the acquaintance of R. Dorothy Wayneright. He starting to think she was nothing but trouble, however; of getting rid of her did not appeal to him either. She was not trash to be cast aside once her use had expired. No, she was too important to him for that…but what did her existence really mean? He rubbed his temples to help relieve the headache starting to form.

Roger pushed the half-eaten meal away and got comfortable. A good nights sleep was what he needed. He was never one to function on an empty stomach and less than proper amount of sleep.

&&&

"Miss Dorothy, you really should not try him until he is back to complete health," Norman commented as he stood next to Dorothy.

"He wants everything to go back to normal. It's one of his defense mechanisms," she replied as she poised her fingers to play.

"You know him quite well, Miss Dorothy."

"I have studied him quite thoroughly. He is an interesting specimen," she replied simply.

"I'm sure he would say the same about you," he smirked as her hands started to fly across the ivory.

Roger quickly appeared in the piano room holding his side gingerly. He moved just a bit too quickly for his injuries. His eyes narrowed. If he didn't know better he would have swore that there was a smug look of satisfaction on her normally dour face. "Must you play that hellish music every morning," he yelled.

As if on cue, she changed to a soft melody that was easy on the ears and soul. Her eyes scanned his physiological responses. His pulse was dropping and he was relaxing visibly as well. "I wouldn't have to do it if you didn't sleep so late," was her comment.

He cut his eyes toward her not bothering to comment then looked toward Norman. "Do I have any appointments for today?"

Norman nodded. "Your client is already waiting in your office."

"Tell them I will be with them shortly," he replied.

"Very good, sir," he said then left the room.

Roger walked up the stairs of his office sometime later. He was eager to get back to work then maybe he could get the doom and gloom out of his mind. Besides, it was better than sitting in bed all day watching the wall. He did not know how Norman could stand being home all day. His bright attitude faded as he saw his client standing by the window. "Angel," he growled.

"I see you made it out alive, Mr. Smith," she smiled as she walked towards him.

"Is there some reason why you dropped by?" he asked.

"Actually there is," she answered as she moved closer to him. "You are handsome."

"Thank you for stating the obvious," he said sarcastically. She was staring at him with those intense eyes again. She was a beautiful woman, one that could not be trusted. He had to make sure he kept his wits about him, but maybe a diversion is what he needed to clear his head of everything. "Now what did you have in mind?"

"To the point as always," Angel smiled then kissed him.

&&&

Dorothy sat on the balcony looking out at the domescape. This was her favorite spot to look out from whenever she wanted to think. She often sat outside late at night and contemplated Roger's behavior. It was amazing how in less than a year he became the center of her being. Her only reason for functioning, since her father was killed, was to battle Roger, the only way she could show her feelings.

"What are you doing out here?" Roger asked almost sleepily. He was very relaxed now that he got some things out of his system.

"Contemplating."

"Contemplating?" he asked.

"Yes," she answered.

"Contemplating what?"

"Us," she answered turning towards him. "Could I ever make you happy?"

Roger's eyes widened. "Dorothy…"

"I want an exact answer, Roger Smith, do you love me?"

"I don't know," he answered.

Dorothy stood then jumped down. "Human beings are complicated. You don't know whether you love or not, but you want to copulate anytime."

"Are you jealous?" Roger asked curiously.

"Yes," she replied. "I do have feelings, maybe not as many as you do but I do have them. I love you, Roger, and I'm jealous that I can't express my feelings to you like her."

"Dorothy," he said softly. He was not sure what to do. He actually hurt her feelings, that was one thing he never expected to ever happen. He reached out to her and she pulled away.

"I hate you, Roger Smith, and if I ever see you again, it won't be too soon," she replied as she ran off.

"Dorothy," he called running after her. As he reached inside, he was tackled to the floor. "What the?" He fended the person off only to have another attack him. He turned toward Dorothy just in time to see her being carried away by two figures. They somehow managed to deactivate her. "Who are these people?" he wondered as he fought the intruders. "Angel! Where ever she is there is trouble." He was starting to get some where with the intruders when he felt a sharp pain from behind then darkness.

"He should be out for awhile," one of them commented putting their taser away.

The others nodded. "The blond and the old man are out as well. We should have no problem loading our cargo now."

"Alpha to Omega. What is the status of the mission?" A voice called through an earpiece in the team leader's ear.

"Omega, here. Mission accomplished and returning to base."

©2002 Devon Masterson

My fic, someone else's main characters. Any questions?