Big O Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Uncertainty ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Hey! I just realized that this fic is almost a year old, and only has three chapters. Anyway, for those of you who were annoyed by the random periods that showed up between words in the last chapter, those were supposed to be three periods that signified a very long pause. I don't really know why they didn't show up. And in my closing thoughts, I put "their" instead of "they're". I know, I'm a loser.

Roger suddenly pulled away from her. He didn't understand what she had just said. He looked at the ebony and ivory keys as he tried to comprehend the meaning of her words.

"I have so many questions." He finally said.

"Then ask."

"Actually I don't know where to begin. There's just a big question mark in my mind. I was painting then all of a sudden you were here." He ran his hands through his hair in an effort to concentrate on the reality or unreality of his current position. "I guess it doesn't really matter how or why, does it?"

"I'm not sure myself. I know I'm here, and I know that I'm not an android right now. I know that I know some things but I don't know what I know." She let out a frustrated sigh. "Ask me a question."

"Why is the Earth round?" He said jokingly.

"I come back and you're still a louse, Roger Smith." Dorothy smiled "It's not round; it's actually shaped like a hockey puck."

"Who says?"

"The Flat Earth Society. Now ask me a real question."

"Why don't we go sit on something more comfortable? The bed maybe." He chuckled "Just to sit and talk."

"Hmm. I don't know why, but that doesn't seem like a very good idea."

"Of course it is. Here, I'll carry you over there." He put a hand under her knees and the other around her shoulders, like a groom with his new bride.

"No, Roger, please put me down. I don't want to go over there."

"You'll be fine." He hoisted her off the black piano bench and her arms tightened around his neck. He gave her a reassuring kiss on the forehead and turned to the bed.

"I told you so." She said, and after two steps she was gone. Roger stopped and looked at his empty arms. Dorothy had just vanished into thin air. He turned around frantically and looked at the piano bench. Maybe if I sit back on the bench she'll show up. He thought.

He jumped to the spot he had just occupied and touched the seat where she had been. It was cold. Had he imagined the whole thing? He looked back at the easel that was holding the painting that had come to life.

He felt a tap on his shoulder and jumped.

"I told you so." Dorothy said as she ran her fingers over the nape of his neck. He smiled dumbly and bit his lower lip. She marveled at the collapse of his mental walls and stern demeanor as she began to rub his shoulders. This was a different man than the one she had known before.

"Would you like to know what I think?" she asked. "I think that easel and those paints are the key. If you want me on the bed," her lips brushed his ear "paint me on the bed." And with that she vanished again.

Roger sat on the end of the bench still as a statue. He was too confused to act. His eyes traveled to the door of his room. The shadows drew angular pictures on the white panels. He strode to it and turned the cold brass knob.

His pace quickened as he turned corners and entered new corridors. The footsteps slowed as he approached his destination.

"Yes sir, you did a fine job. No, I wasn't hurt." Roger could hear Norman talking as he entered his room. Norman jumped and slammed the phone, giving his friend a surprised look.

"I thought you were asleep." He said after his initial shock wore off.

"Actually I was painting. It was a picture of her sitting at the piano playing. Then suddenly I could hear the notes as if she were really there. I looked over at it and she was actually there, playing." His words became frantic and his hands were flying as if to accentuate his story. "Then we talked for a while and I tried to get her to sit on the bed, but she didn't want to and disappeared. I sat back down on the piano bench and she came back and told me that any painting I made would become real."

"Sir, I think you should go back to bed."

"Norman! I'm serious, she was there with me!" Sighing, Norman stood up and put his hands on the younger man's shoulders.

"Listen," he said, turning Roger around "you dreamed this. People from paintings just don't show up where you painted them. I'll get you something to drink and you can go back to bed."

"But…"

"No buts now go." Roger huffed and stomped off to his room. He couldn't believe Norman didn't believe him. She was real, she was there. He touched her and she touched him. This defied all the laws of physics, chemistry, and p.e. He'd done enough questioning for one day.

He flung his doors open and crossed the wooden floor before face planting on his bed. His head turned towards the painting in front of the window and his eyes grew heavy.

"See you in the morning." He whispered before falling asleep.

To be continued…

A/N: Umm…yeah…that was the third chapter. Short and sweet, hope you enjoyed it. I'm not going to make you give me a certain amount of reviews for the next chapter. Looking back on it, I've decided that it was an immature thing to do. But it did give me plenty of time to turn out this chapter.