Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ 30Kisses ❯ Super Nursemaid Byakuya ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Byakuya stared at the CVS shelves in complete bewilderment.

Just a few hours ago the attack they had feared had come. A party of Espada had invaded Karakura, battering their warriors and kidnapping (or had she gone willingly?) Orihime. Now the Shinigami and their human allies were down, divided between the Urahara Shouten and the ryoka's home to recuperate, Orihime was gone and no one could find that last ryoka, the Quincy.

And where had Byakuya been when all of this occurred?

Back in Seireitai, giving the weekly report to Yamamoto-taichou. He only discovered what had happened when he came back and found the Shouten in an uproar. It had been bad enough to know he had been MIA when the rest of the team had needed him; it was worse knowing there was still nothing he could do now.

And he still hadn't told the rest of them about the order to retreat.

So here he was, hale and whole, with an announcement that would devastate the rest of them sitting like a stone in his throat, and with nothing to do. He couldn't even help the others heal; medical kidou had never been his forte. The Head of one the Four Noble Houses of Seireitai had been reduced to a messenger boy, shuttling back and forth between the Shouten and the Kurosaki residence (and hadn't he had a surprise when he had met 'Kurosaki' Isshin). Finally, Urahara had sent him out to get more medical supplies; the number and severity of the injuries taxing even his resources. Byakuya knew it was just make-work to keep him out of the way, but he still accepted the errand. Anything to keep his mind off his failure.

Buying the supplies should have been simple, just bandages, disinfectant and painkillers. Should have been. Unfortunately, Byakuya hadn't been to Ningenkai in over fifty years and what would have been an easy task then was now monstrously complex. Who really needed all these choices?

"Can I help you, sir?" He turned to stare at the tiny, red-vested woman who had just accosted him.

Byakuya is the Head of the Kuchikis. The highest Noble House of Seireitai. He's faced down Hollows, Arrancar, Gillians and the massive stacks of paperwork associated with being a Captain. He's stared down traitors without batting an eye. He's faced the death of those closest to him with only the slightest flinch. Kuchiki Byakuya does not ask for help.

He stared back at the shelves. They had grown bigger, brighter and seemed to have developed dripping teeth while his attention was diverted.

"Some help would be appreciated." He gratefully handed over the list.



Urahara stared as Byakuya dropped the last bag at the other man's feet. "I hope Yamamoto-taichou is paying for this."

"As these were all necessary for the continued health of the squadron, I am sure he will be happy to do so. And if not, the Kuchiki House will reimburse you the cost as repayment for healing one of its members."

"Uh-huh." Urahara started digging through the half-dozen bags. "Bandages, of multiple sizes, good. Alcohol swabs and peroxide, good. Aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen and naproxene, overkill but okay." He drew out a bottle. "Nyquil?"

"The vendor stated that it would be an aid for sleep." Urahara looked like he was about to say something, but just shook his head instead. Gathering up the bandages and peroxide, he set off towards Hitsugaya-taichou's room.

Meanwhile, Byakuya began digging through the bags again. The salesperson had offered some other remedies as well. Not just painkillers, but vitamins that would help speed healing. Byakuya made up trays, meticulously distributing the small pills. Small glasses of water, milk and orange juice. Some rice and broth. A small saucer to hold the pills: echinacea and zinc for the 'immyoon' system (whatever that was). Iron for muscles. Extra gingko for Ikkaku and Renji. Folic acid for Rangiku. When he was done, he set off to bring his version of medicine to the invalids.



"Ah, is this really necessary, Niisama?"

He frowned. He should have guessed that Rukia would be difficult, she never had liked being confined in the Fourth Division. She must feel that this is exactly the same. "Yes, it is. Having you back at full capacity as quickly as possible is important for the approaching conflict."

She tried her watery-eyed, trembling-lower-lip Face #25, but it wasn't going to work this time. This was for her own good. "Take the pills Rukia."

"Fine." She picked up a solid green one. "What's this one for?"

"Iron. It helps build your muscles."

She made a face but swallowed it. "These taste horrible. And this one?" She pointed to a clear gelcap.

"Vitamin E, for . . . " And so it went.

Until the last pill. "Niisama, I've had enough. These are only good for the gigai, I don't need any more pills."

"This one is . . . " A slight pause to remember what that woman had said. "Wada Calcium CD3. For growing bones."

"No, no, absolutely not, no! Niisama, I'm over eighty years old!"

"Also for the elderly."

"And need I remind you, you're almost 200?" She backed away.

"Fine then, if you won't take it, I'll just have to force you." He popped the pill in his mouth, then cornered her as she scrambled off the futon. Pressing his lips to hers, he pinched her nose shut until he felt her swallow. Backing off, he then passed her the small glass of water.

"You're right, these really do taste horrible."