Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ 30Kisses ❯ One Night Stand ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Byakuya wakes when Rukia slips out from under his arm, off the bed. "Rukia?" He watches the moonlight play over her back as she begins to slide on her night robe.

She tenses at his voice, but does not stop. Her movements become less furtive, but more jerky. The stiffness in her muscles makes him wonder. "Rukia, what's wrong? Did I hurt you?"

"No, that's not it!" She turns back to look at him, surprise clear in her face. "It's just . . . " She shifts away again, plunging her eyes into shadow. "That was the first time for you, wasn't it?"

His eyes widen. He doesn't know how she can tell; if anything the fact he'd been married before should have made her assume otherwise. "How did you know?"

She smiles sadly at him. "I just do." Her movements become faster as she ties the robe shut and begins to look for her tabi. Byakuya thinks back to the past few hours.

Tell me what hurts, what feels good. Touch me here. No, not like that, like this.

"But it wasn't the first time for you."

She finds one sock. "No, it wasn't," she agrees, smiling up at him.

"Who was it?"

Rukia finishes dressing, then sits down back down on the bed again. She lifts one hand, almost touching his cheek before hesitating. He leans forward into her palm. "It was a long time ago, back in the Academy. Before I even met you."

"Do I know whom?"

No answer.

"Was it Renji?"

Her silence was as condemning as a 'Yes.' He wonders why she doesn't lie, then quashes the hope that maybe she doesn't want to lie to him.

She stands up and turns to go. Byakuya sits up and catches her hand, pulling her back down to the bed. He leans forward but she stops him, placing her hand in front of his face. "This won't happen again," she tells him firmly. Then she gently pulls away and leaves the room.

Alone, the bed is far too cold.