Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ 30Kisses ❯ The Date Part 2 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"This was nice," said Rukia, as Hanatarou walked her back to the Kuchiki residence. "I've never been on a date before.""Really?" he asked. "I would have thought you and Renji-san . . . ""Nope," she shook her head. "I didn't really know that many people at the Academy. And Renji and I never really went on dates. Sometimes we'd play hooky and we messed around a lot, but we never actually went on a date."He looped his arm through hers and grasped her hand. "So no one ever asked you out? Not even after you were adopted into the Kuchiki household?""Niisama," Rukia hesitated for a second. "I believe some guys did ask, but Niisama turned them all away. I'm not sure if he felt I wasn't good enough or if they were.""I'm sorry I was such a poor first date then.""What?" She looked over at him, where he was blushing in shame. "Nonsense, I really enjoyed myself. You payed for my meal, we got to see all our friends in Karakura and we even caught that movie that Inoue-san recommended. I don't know what could be better.""The last time I took a girl out, it was expected that I would get her parents permission first, bring her flowers, take her to the most expensive restaurant in the area, and bring her somewhere fancy, like a play." The 4th Division member shrugged. "This seemed . . . cheap to me. You deserved better.""I don't know. It seems a little old-fashioned."Hanatarou laughed. "Well, as I recall, I'm about twice your age. To be honest, I haven't been on a date in fifty years."She stared, caught off-guard. "Really? I would have thought you had plenty of women after you. Especially as a seated officer."He sobered. "I do get plenty of offers, though not as much as the 8th Seat in our Division gets. But it just reminds me of how old I am in comparison to most of my colleagues. It's not a pleasant feeling."They walked quietly for a while. As they reached the shadows of the sakura trees that surrounded the Kuchiki estate, Rukia finally broke the silence. "Hey, you know, there's something else that made this date really enjoyable.""What?""You might think I'm shallow, but I really like the fact that you're close to my height." The 7th Seat just looked confused. "In my life I've been surrounded by people who tower over me. Renji, Ichigo, Niisama, Captain Ukitate, they're all at least 40 cm taller than me. I can talk to you without feeling as if I'm just a child. That's another first for me."They had reached the gate. She asked, "So this is it?""Yes," he replied. Then remembering what she said, he leaned forward . . . . . . only to nearly be impaled on Zabimaru."Did you have a nice evening together?" asked Byakuya, coming out from the shadows of the trees. Just beside the gate, Renji continued to point his zanpakuto at Hanatarou's chest. He leaned back and stepped away from Rukia."Yes, as a matter of fact we did, busybody." Rukia stated, glaring at Renji. She turned her gaze to her date and her eyes softened. "I'd love to do this again.""I would too. Farewell." With that, the 4th Division member turned toward the dormitories, trying to ignore the jealous glares he felt burning into his back.