Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ 30Kisses ❯ The Hour Darkest Before Dawn ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
They've fallen back into their old habits.Rukia gets up at the crack of dawn. She gets some early morning practice, then eats a quick breakfast and finally gets to the Thirteenth Division to get a head start on the paperwork. Two hours after she leaves, Byakuya gets up to have his breakfast. They spend the whole day at their divisions. Rukia comes home, eats, takes care of any business for the estate, then goes to sleep. Byakuya stays late doing paperwork, and doesn't come back until she's asleep. Then he stays up half the night, taking aimless walks around the gardens. Then they do it again the next day.But Fate is cruel, as they'd both agree, and one day, when Rukia stepping out for an extra-early morning and Byakuya is coming in from an all-nighter, they meet. It's at a small side-door to the Kuchiki estate, something only the servants would use, and the day hasn't really started, all steel-blue sky with only the faintest hint of pink and red and gold at the east.Byakuya's in rumpled, rain-damp clothes, his kenseikan is askew and there are deep circles under his eyes. Yesterday Genryuusai had called him into his office, to speak about promoting Rukia into an officer's seat. He'd argued as subtly as he could, but Genryuusai had handed down an ultimatum. Either Rukia would stand the next time the Thirteenth Division held an officer seating competition or she would be sent to the Covert Ops, where her shunpo and kidou spells would be most useful. Byakuya would never allow that, but he had still spent the night trying to assuage his conscience.Rukia was dressed in a thin, white yukata, her zanpakuto belted to her waist and her feet bare. Last night had been a wet one and she decided that cleaning muddy feet would be easier than muddy shoes. She was up earlier than usual, eager to meet up with Matsumoto. They had been working out various matchmaking schemes and were putting into action one of the major plots today. She was too excited to stay in bed any longer.They stood there for second, staring at each other. Then as Rukia was about to brush past him, Byakuya grabbed her arm. "I would be grateful if you would honor to eat breakfast with me."Tension could be read in the lines of her back and for a moment he thought she was going to say no. "Of course, Niisama."Breakfast is not a lavish affair. Toast and milk for Rukia, rice,eggs and coffee for Byakuya, some fruits for both. The first part is spent in awkward silence. Finally, they can stand it no more."How was-""I heard that-"They stop. Rukia gestures that Byakuya should start. "Rukia, do you feel you are ready to become a seated officer."She starts. "Yes! I-" I've been ready for a long time. But she doesn't want to hurt him. "Yes I am."He stares out into nothing. "Very well then. The next time the Thirteenth Division has an opening you are permitted to apply for it. You will honor the Kuchiki name.""Th-thank you, Niisama!"It was his turn now. "Why were you up so early?""Oh, Rangiku and I . . . " she hesitated. "We were planning to go to Karakura today. I'm excited to see everyone again." He nodded. He had never been fond of the ryoka, never really gotten to know them the way that the other captains had. But they were Rukia's friends so he would tolerate them."How was your date with Hanatarou?" He cursed his wayward tongue."Oh, it was great. It's so nice to be able to look him in the eye without straining my neck." and she went on and on. It actually hurt him a little, hearing how much she had enjoyed herself. When she finally paused, he interjected, "You really like him, don't you?""Yes I do. I think, if you got to know him, you'd like him as well."It seemed he couldn't stop himself. It was almost like that time before Shinso, but much worse. "You do realize, that he is below you."Her eyes flashed. "He's a seated officer-""In the Fourth Division.""A noble.""Of a minor house.""He tried to save me," and then she gasped and covered her mouth, knowing that she had gone too far. After battling the urge to leave, Byakuya picked up the flow of conversation again. "Have you spoken to Abarai about your choice?"She dropped her hands, confusion replacing regret on her face. "No. Why would I?""No reason. He is your friend.""That doesn't give him the right to decide my life for me.""He loves you.""What?" He looked at her. She never knew he thought to himself. "It is irrelevant."They finished their meal and she got up to leave. Instead of going out as she had planned, she turned toward the house. "I will speak to Ukitate-taichou about what you have told me, the seating matches. I'm sure he will be delighted with the information.""Rukia."She turned back, cursing herself in her mind."It's not wrong."She knew what he meant, but pretended otherwise. "What isn't?""What we did that night. We share no blood. It isn't incest.""I know," she smiled sadly. "That wasn't the problem." Rukia turned away again."Then what is?"She sighed but refused to look again, fearing she would lose her resolve. "Niisama, when you see me . . . do you see me or Hisana?"He came up behind her, so close she could feel the heat radiate off his body. "I a woman far stronger than my wife was. Who likes the dawn and rabbits and sweet things rather than fragile flowers she can't touch. I see a woman capable of being either charming and elegant for a party, or tough and practical for a battle, and having no difficulty switching between the two. I see you, Rukia.""But I don't. I look at you and I see my sister and all I can think of is the fact I'm sleeping with the man she loved. I'm not the one who is supposed to be in your bed Niisama. Hisana is." She jumped a little to hear him laugh harshly behind her. She had never heard him laugh before and she always imagined it would be a small, quiet chuckle. This was wild and angry and reminded her more of Kenpachi-taichou than the aristocratic head of the Kuchikis."Do you think your sister loved me?" At this she turned around and looked straight into his eyes. There was a lot of bitterness there. "She was grateful, but she didn't love me. I don't know if she even capable of loving anyone." He quieted a little. "Anyone other than you. And the first time I saw you I knew why.""I'm sorry.""It isn't your fault." He took a deep breath. "Rukia, I know what will be said, and I know it won't be easy. But won't you please give this a chance?"She thought of how she had felt these past few weeks. How strange it had been to be avoiding him again. How lonely she was even when she had been on that date. And how envious she was of her friends, who knew what they wanted and weren't afraid to go after it. Then she imagined spending the rest of her life like this."Yes."