Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ Rukia's Idea ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
The sequel to: A Walk in the Park.
 
Rukia's Idea
 
“Ichigo. Are you even listening to me?” Rukia asked. She had been talking to him for some minutes but he had not answered any of her questions. He continued reading the book he had in front of him.
 
“Ichigo,” she yelled as he continued to ignore her.
 
“What? What?” Ichigo replied, not very calmly. He looked at her quizzically. “I'm trying to study, Rukia. We have a test tomorrow and I don't want to let my grades slip. Being a substitute Shinigami means I spend a lot less time studying. I hope this is important.”
 
“I think you better hear what happened between Orihime and Kon,” Rukia replied studying her substitute. He seemed annoyed, again.
 
“I'm not really that interested,” Ichigo said, his eyes straying back to his text books.
 
“Listen, Ichigo. It is important,” Rukia reached in front of him and slammed the books shut.
 
“Damn it, Rukia. Leave me alone. I said I'm not interested,” Ichigo complained scowling at her.
 
“I'm not scared of you when you look at me like that,” she replied. “Kon told Orihime he liked her breasts and her body. He was going to kiss her when he arrived,” Rukia explained hurriedly.
 
Ichigo flushed. “Hell,” he said.
 
“Hell indeed. Did you explain about Kon when you walked Orihime home?” Rukia asked.
 
“Err, sort of. I mean yes. Oh, I don't remember. I said I put him in my body when I was busy elsewhere and that he wasn't an evil spirit. Now, I'm not so sure. Where is the menace, by the way?” Ichigo asked embarrassed.
 
“I left him in Yuzu's room after I finally stomped the truth out of him. That should keep him occupied for a little while,” Rukia replied.
 
“Good,” said Ichigo sighing as he opened his textbook again.
 
“I haven't finished,” Rukia said, a warning in her voice.
 
“Well, what is it? I don't have time for this,” Ichigo said impatiently.
 
Rukia wondered when he wasn't impatient, or cross, or irritated. “I think you should make it up to Orihime. I think the incident probably hurt her feelings. I don't want to see her hurt. She's my friend and she's been really sweet to me. I didn't know I was going to make friends when I came here,” Rukia said wonderingly.
 
“Make it up? What do you mean?” Ichigo asked warily. The frown on his forehead deepened further.
 
“Ask her out on a date,” Rukia said aware of the probable response.
 
“What the….? Blast, Rukia. I don't date. I've got other things to think about. I don't want to get involved,” Ichigo said angrily. He turned from her and opened his book again.
 
“You're already involved. I think you should ask Orihime on a date and take her out to dinner somewhere nice. Talk to her. Make her feel relaxed. Soothe her fears,” Rukia suggested. The idiot was impossible. Didn't he have any understanding of how to treat other people?
 
“I'd prefer to take you on a date,” Ichigo leered at Rukia, looking at her suggestively while closing his book.
 
“Don't even go there, moron,” Rukia said.
 
Ichigo rose from his chair and approached Rukia. He moved to put his arms around her but she had anticipated his actions. Kicking him in the shins hard, she then punched him in the stomach, winding him. He doubled over, gasping.
 
“I warned you,” Rukia said, reasonably. “I don't want to speak about my personal life, but there's some one I care about. I'm not sure how he feels, but I am certainly not interested in you.” Maybe if he understood she had a life before losing her powers he might switch his attention elsewhere.
 
“Who is he? Uryu?” Ichigo asked, slowly recovering from Rukia's assault. He straightened slightly and Rukia was ready to punch him again if he tried anything.
 
“He's not here, idiot. He's back in Soul Society. I've known him so long and I miss him. Why would you think I'm interested in you, except as a friend?” Rukia demanded. That was the obvious question to ask. Had she ever showed the slightest interest in him?
 
“We're always together. You sleep in my wardrobe. You hardly ever leave me alone. You keep punching me. That's a sign of affection, isn't it? What am I expected to think?” Ichigo said wounded. “I thought you liked me.”
 
“I do, but not that way. I punch you because you are annoying. I'm not a teenager. I don't show affection that way. Now, let's stop talking about our non-relationship and talk about the date,” Rukia said sighing. Teenage males were so dumb.
 
“I don't want to talk about it, Rukia,” said Ichigo, picking up his text book and walking out of the room, slamming the door behind him, knowing she would not follow.
 
Rukia laughed. Ichigo might think the subject was closed, but he was going to ask Orihime on a date. She was going to make certain of it. It would do him good to have another interest. He was getting boring.
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Ichigo stormed from his room with his text book in hand. He had no idea where he was going. He couldn't go into the lounge room or the kitchen. There was no peace to be found there when he wanted to study. Isshin would probably use it as an excuse for another fight. Trying to study in the bathroom was not an option and it was too dark to see outside. He stood in the hallway, undecided. He could go into the clinic, but that was locked at night.
 
He sat on the floor in the hall and tried to concentrate. The mood he was in now made it hard for him to focus on the subject and comprehend the theories presented. The noise from the television downstairs distracted him. Leaning against the wall he sighed. Life was so much easier when he'd just been a school student. A school student with a bad reputation, but at least his room was his own, without strange people living in his cupboard, making him fight Hollows or telling him to go on dates.
 
He wasn't sure how he felt about Rukia. Had she led him on? At least he knew there was no chance with her. It would have made things easier if she'd been interested and he would have had someone to help fulfil all those wild fantasies he had. The bonus was she'd return to Soul Society, eventually. No long term relationship. He wasn't in love with Rukia, but it would have been convenient.
 
Now she wanted him to go on a date! A date could mean a relationship. Sure, Orihime was pretty, and she had a body that fascinated him, but a date? He was too young to get into a relationship.
 
“Ichigo, what are you doing there,” asked Yuzu. “You didn't fall? You're not feeling dizzy are you?” There was concern in her voice.
 
He looked up. For a brief moment he'd forgotten he was sitting in the hall.
 
“Ahem. I, I dropped my book and was just picking it up,” he hazarded.
 
“But why did you sit down? You've been there for at least a minute. You were sitting there when I came upstairs,” Yuzu persisted. Her eyes were searching him as if trying to locate an injury.
 
“Just felt like a change from studying in my room? I heard that if you change your study habits it might make you concentrate more?” Ichigo improvised unconvincingly. Even to his ears the explanation sounded weak.
 
“Interesting idea. Dad may be on his way up soon,” Yuzu said obviously not believing a word Ichigo said.
 
“Oh, thanks,” Ichigo got to his feet and returned reluctantly to his room. Rukia was sitting on his bed, absently leafing through another textbook.
 
She looked up and smiled brightly at Ichigo as he entered the room. Ichigo did not like that smile at all. He's seen that smile too many times not to know that problems usually accompanied that expression.
 
He leant against the door, ready to make a quick exit if she started anything. He could always wait until everyone went to bed and then he could sleep downstairs.
 
“Ichigo,” Rukia said sweetly, “I know why you don't want to ask Orihime on a date. It's because you're scared she will turn you down.”
 
“That's not the reason,” Ichigo replied sharply. Why would he worry about that? If she refused then Rukia would have to give up on her crazy plan.
 
“I can guarantee that she will agree,” continued Rukia, ignoring Ichigo's reply. “If she was prepared to go for a walk with you in the park, even though it wasn't you, I'm sure she'd agree to a date. Unless, of course, you messed things up when you walked her home.”
 
“I said I'm not scared that she would turn me down, Rukia. Listening helps in a conversation.” Ichigo's sarcasm was wasted. Rukia continued to ignore his words.
 
“If you're really that nervous, I could ask her for you,” Rukia continued, nodding her head, obviously pleased with her suggestion. “Maybe you should take her to the movies. That would mean she could ignore your inept social skills during the movie and would only have to talk to you before and after the movie. I think that's the best idea. Limit the conversation as much as possible.”
 
“Rukia, listen. I said I'm not nervous. I don't want to ask Orihime or anyone on a date,” Ichigo spluttered indignantly. Maybe he should draw her pictures to explain. His drawings would have to be better than hers.
 
“Did I hurt you earlier when I turned you down, Ichigo? Is that why you are so resistant to our plan?”
 
The display of concern in Rukia's voice did not fool Ichigo. He knew it was false. “I said I didn't want to date Orihime before you `turned me down,” as you so sweetly put it, and it's not our plan. It's your plan. I don't want any part of it,” Ichigo insisted.
 
“I suppose I could always push you out of the body and let Kon take her on a date,” Rukia mused aloud. A small smile turned up the corners of her mouth.
 
Ichigo stood up straight and stared unbelievingly at Rukia.
 
“That's what got me into this mess in the first place. Kon dating Orihime! No! He'd try…” Ichigo stopped and gulped. Visions of the things Kon would do, or try to do, while in his body on a date with Orihime, flashed through his mind. Some of the images intrigued Ichigo, but he would never admit it aloud.
 
“I'll give you the option. Either you take Orihime on a date, or I get Kon to do it. I'll make sure he behaves. A double date would be best. Now, who could I ask out?” Rukia pondered, cupping her chin in her hand. “Definitely not Keigo. He would take it seriously and I'd never get rid of him. Mizuiro is cute and fun, but if I went out with him, Keigo would get jealous. That would be bad. Keigo would cry and it's embarrassing when he does that. Chad is a mystery to me and I don't want him to think I'm flirting with him. Uryu is a possibility. He's friends with Orihime and could help keep Kon under control. If I explained matters to him, I'm sure he'd understand and help.”
 
Ichigo could not believe that Rukia was taking her moronic idea seriously, but felt the opportunity to tease her was too good to resist. “I knew you liked Uryu,” Ichigo said triumphantly. “You denied it earlier, but when you thought of a double date, you immediately choose him.”
 
“Oh, grow up, Ichigo. What am I meant to do? You're being uncooperative,” Rukia said in exasperation. “You won't ask Orihime on a date and I can't trust Kon to act properly, so it will have to be a double date so I can watch him. I want to make Orihime happy and for some strange reason she likes you.”
 
“You have no proof of that,” Ichigo said heatedly. Why should he care if the girl liked him or not?
 
“Proof enough,” said Rukia distracted. “You'll have to stay here, otherwise Orihime would know it's Kon. And it will be a perfect chance for you to study. No one will interrupt you.”
 
“I promised Orihime that I would keep Kon away from her. Anyway she would be able to tell. My voice sounds different when he's in my body,” Ichigo said thinking that this would dissuade Rukia from pursuing her crazy scheme.
 
“He can pretend to have a sore throat so he won't need to talk. If Uryu and I are there I'm sure we can provide enough distraction to convince Orihime that it's you,” Rukia returned.
 
Feeling as if he did not have charge of the conversation, or his body he stated firmly, “I don't agree to this,” worrying all the time at the plans Rukia was making
 
“Not your choice. I think this weekend will be a good idea. It's Monday so I have plenty of time to convince Kon to behave. Do you have Uryu's phone number? I could ring him now and see if he's free on Sunday. I'm sure he will agree if I ask him nicely,” she opened a drawer, searching for his address book.
 
“No Rukia. I don't have his phone number,” lied Ichigo. Maybe she would forget it overnight.
 
“I'll just ask him tomorrow. Simple. Well that's the plan. See you in the morning,” Rukia said as she slipped into the wardrobe, leaving Ichigo staring after her, bemused.
 
It had all happened so quickly. First Rukia urging him to take Orihime on a date and now suddenly he was excluded from the date, but his body wasn't. Rukia would be dating Uryu and Ichigo would be left at home studying. The idea stank. Rukia hadn't even asked him if he had plans for Sunday. Getting Kon to agree to the date wouldn't be a problem. Making sure he didn't do anything out of character, or wrong was tricky. The suggestion was fraught with impracticalities. In other words it was a dumb idea. Too much could go wrong.
 
Ichigo didn't want to date anyone. He didn't want to date Orihime out of pity or coercion. He didn't want to date her at all, except… His mind returned to some of those earlier images he'd had when Rukia had mentioned that she'd put Kon in his body. Maybe dating Orihime wouldn't be such a bad idea. He'd talk it over with Rukia in the morning.
 
He looked at the time and decided that he should study for at least another half hour. As he tried to concentrate his mind kept returning to the idea of the date. At best it might be fun; at worst, he wasted a Sunday. Eventually he gave up trying to study and went to bed.
 
Upon awakening the next morning he went and knocked on the wardrobe. There was no answer. He looked inside to find it empty. Ichigo cursed softly. He'd have to talk to Rukia at school where there was the chance they'd be overheard. He didn't want her to set up the double date before he had a chance to talk to her. If he was being forced to date Orihime, he'd prefer for it to be just Orihime and himself. For all he knew, Rukia would make it a triple date with Chad and Tatsuki. He shuddered at the thought. Another thought struck him. He hoped to hell that she hadn't told Kon yet.
 
Ichigo left the house as quickly as he could, avoiding any conversation. It would distract him from his purpose. He arrived at school and began looking for Rukia. He looked in the classroom and the courtyard but he couldn't see her. Time passed and the longer he searched the more intense his searching became. He had to talk to her before she talked to anyone else about her idea. If he wasn't quick she'd ask Orihime out for him. Thinking about it, Ichigo had decided it would be a better idea if he asked Orihime out. It would look weak if Rukia asked on his behalf. Knowing her screwy sense of humour, she'd probably make him sound like some pathetic loser.
 
Giving up he returned to the classroom only to find Rukia engaged in earnest conversation with Uryu. He quickly walked up. “Rukia, I need to talk to you, now,” he said urgently.
 
“Let me finish here first,” she said and continued listening to Uryu.
 
Impatient and annoyed at her dismissal, Ichigo grabbed her arm and dragged her outside the classroom.
 
“Not a good idea, Ichigo. Orihime was in the room. It might make her think the wrong thing if she saw that,” Rukia said rubbing her arm.
 
“You haven't said anything to her yet, have you,” Ichigo said trying to appear unworried.
 
An evil smile crossed Rukia's face. “I have talked to her this morning,” she replied. Her tone had enough sugar in it to cause a diabetic to go into a coma.
 
“What did you say?” Ichigo asked, rapidly losing his composure. She could have said anything!
 
“Let me think,” said Rukia obviously enjoying the discomfort that Ichigo was experiencing.
 
“So what did you say?” Ichigo pressed.
 
“I said `Good Morning',” Rukia replied tiring of the joke.
 
“Good. Don't say anything else to her. I'll take care of it,” Ichigo said quickly.
 
“Why? Anyway Uryu has agreed to double date. I just have to talk to Kon.” Looking at Ichigo with a smile lurking in her eyes she said, “I don't think he will be as difficult to convince as you are.”
 
If he had to take the girl on a date, he wanted to be able to feel like someone wasn't watching him. He would explain now. “I've changed my mind, Rukia. I'll ask Orihime on a date. Can you cancel the double date idea?” Ichigo requested hopefully.
 
“I couldn't do that seeing Uryu is being so obliging. It would hurt his feelings. I suppose the double date going ahead means you've changed your mind again.” The smile did not leave Rukia's face.
 
“I think it's too dangerous to take Kon on a double date. I made a promise to Orihime to keep him away from her. It's only because of that promise I'm agreeing to go on this date,” Ichigo explained. Rukia might believe him, maybe.
 
Rukia snorted. “Good try Ichigo. I'd believe you if you could come up with a better excuse for changing your mind. I heard you talk in your sleep last night. You've got a rather lurid imagination.”
 
Ichigo frowned. What was she talking about? Then he remembered the dream he had just after he went to sleep the previous night. He flushed. “You shouldn't have listened. Anyway, why were you up at that hour?”
 
“I wanted to finish the manga I was reading. It was tame compared to some of the things you were saying. I think Orihime might be safer with Kon,” Rukia teased.
 
The bell rang for class before Ichigo could reply. They quickly entered the room and took their places.
 
“I'll ask Orihime at break”, he thought.
 
But that was not to be. Break time was spent with Rukia killing another Hollow.
 
At lunch time he couldn't find Orihime anywhere. He looked in nearly all the places he thought she might be.
 
“She might be at the sewing club,” Tatsuki suggested when Ichigo asked her.
 
Making his way there, Ichigo felt a sense of relief. This would all be resolved soon. He'd ask Orihime out, one date only, Rukia off his case. Over. Solved. No more problems.
 
As he looked through the door he saw Orihime and Uryu talking. Why was it whenever he wanted to talk to a female today, she was talking to Uryu. Did the guy know? Did he have a sixth sense of how to inconvenience a substitute Shinigami?
 
Looking up, Orihime noticed Ichigo hesitating at the door. She quickly excused herself and came over to talk to Ichigo. “Hello Ichigo,” she said sweetly as if yesterday afternoon had not happened.
 
“Ur, hi Orihime. Could you come out here a moment? I want to ask you something,” Ichigo said uncomfortably.
 
Orihime left the room, closing the door quietly behind her. “Can I help you with something, Ichigo,” Orihime inquired politely.
 
“Are you doing anything on Sunday?” Ichigo asked, bluntly, trying to get it over as fast as possible and then he wouldn't have to think about it again.
 
“Yes I am,” Orihime said quietly with a far away look in her eye.
 
“Oh,” was all Ichigo could say. He was too late, but at least he'd tried.
 
“I'm going on a double date with Rukia, Uryu and……you, Ichigo,” Orihime said a blissful smile crossing her face. “Uryu was just telling me about it. I didn't know you were so shy, Ichigo. He explained that you were so scared of being rejected that you asked Rukia to ask him to ask me. I think that is so sweet,” Orihime beamed at Ichigo.
 
Ichigo groaned inwardly. This was even worse than if Rukia had asked on his behalf. It was so feeble.
 
“I came here to ask you on the date. I thought it would be more mature,” Ichigo explained knowing that he would look like an idiot no matter what.
 
“It's okay, Ichigo. Uryu's given me all the details. He also suggested we keep it quiet. We don't want people to talk.” Orihime seemed to be taking the idea of secrecy very seriously, for which Ichigo was grateful.
 
“I really wanted to ask you myself, Orihime. Rukia got carried away by her own ideas and got Uryu involved. You know what she's like. I actually would have preferred something other than a double date.” Ichigo rubbed the back of his head. “I wish I had the chance to ask you, Orihime,” he said uncomfortably.
 
“Now you have and I accept,” Orihime said her smile even brighter. “I'm really looking forward to the date.”
 
Not knowing what else he could say he nodded quickly. “See you Sunday,” he said and then left.
 
As he walked away Ichigo thought, “Rukia is evil. Is this revenge for yesterday? Now I'm committed to a double date with a guy who hates Shinigami, an evil Shinigami disguised as a cute girl and one of the hottest girls in school who knows about Kon and was almost groped by him. This is going to be so enjoyable. Not.”
 
When the final bell for school finally went, Ichigo went home without waiting for Rukia. If he walked home with her, he'd probably shake her and then she'd punch him. He wanted to cool down before he saw her.
 
After he arrived home, he delayed going to his room even though it meant another fight with Isshin. People wondered about his violent tendencies. If they saw his home life they would understand. Why his father never attacked Yuzu or Karin, Ichigo didn't know. He'd asked once, only to be pounced on and told he'd let his guard down. That was no answer but he gave up wondering.
 
Eventually, after dinner and a certain amount of harassment from his father and Karin, Ichigo went to his room carrying some left over food from dinner.
 
Rukia was sitting on his bed again looking at her phone.
 
“Here,” Ichigo said, giving her the food, brusquely. “I hope it chokes you.”
 
Rukia looked at him surprised taking the food. “Something troubling you, Ichigo?”
 
“It was so lame. You asked Uryu to ask Orihime on the date. I told you I was going to ask her. She said it was sweet! I'm not happy,” Ichigo said irritably.
 
Rukia laughed. “And you're worried about that? You're such a fool. It would have been a problem if she reacted like other people. She could have said any number of things, like weird, peculiar or pathetic. At least she thought it was sweet.”
 
Grinding his teeth was a bad idea. He took a deep breath and replied, “I don't care. I'll go on this date, but I won't enjoy it. One date only. Don't plan any more activities for me, `cause I won't cooperate. I've got other things to do.”
 
“Yes, I've noticed what a full social life you have,” Rukia observed dryly. “Constant phone calls and visits from your many friends, parties every other night, weekends full of social engagements. I'm so lucky that you made a window in your busy social calendar for the date on Sunday.”
 
Ichigo looked at her, his mouth open.
 
“Close your mouth Ichigo. Your imitation of a goldfish is only halfway there. Goldfish actually close their mouths and then open them,” Rukia said wickedly, chewing on the food.
 
“I was right. You are evil,” Ichigo said heatedly. She never let up on him.
 
“Who me?” Rukia seemed genuinely surprised at Ichigo's comment. “I'm not evil, just practical. It's your own fault, anyway. If you'd just agreed to go on the date in the first place none of this would have happened.”
 
“If you hadn't given me a defective mod kon, none of this would have happened,” Ichigo retorted.
 
Ichigo glared at Rukia who gave him a cool look in return while continuing to eat. Ichigo was the first to drop his gaze.
 
“I suppose I better know the details of this date,” he said reluctantly. “Which movie are we going to see?”
 
“Seeing there are four of us, I decided that we may as well spend the whole day together. We'll go to the movies in the morning, and then out to lunch, and then I thought we could look at the shops. After that….” The plan flowed freely from Rukia's mouth.
 
Ichigo was aghast. It was meant to be a simple date, not a whole day, “I thought it was just the movies. I think you should have consulted me about this,” he protested, interrupting the list of activities Rukia had planned
 
“I told you. I changed my mind. You'll have to pay for me. I don't have any money. And as it's a date, you'll have to pay for Orihime as well,” said a gleeful Rukia taking another bite of rice.
 
“Why isn't Uryu paying for you?” Ichigo asked outraged. Why did he have to pay for three people? That seemed unfair.
 
“Because he is coming to oblige me. It wouldn't be fair to expect him to pay for me as well, would it?”
 
Ichigo was shaking his head. “This is wrong. First it was just a single movie date with Orihime. Now it's a full day double date and I have to pay for three people. Are you sure you don't want me to pay for Uryu as well?” He was not serious in his suggestion.
 
“Now you mention it, I think it's a good idea,” said Rukia putting her head on one side as she considered the mater.
 
“I was being sarcastic, Rukia. I will not pay for Uryu. How much money do you think I have?” Ichigo demanded.
 
“You have enough. I've looked at your bank statements,” Rukia said calmly finishing her last mouthful. She put the serviette, in which the food had been, into the bin.
 
“You've looked at my statements? Is there nothing you won't pry into?” Ichigo spluttered. The girl had no understanding of privacy.
 
“I don't read your diary,” Rukia replied.
 
“Diary? What diary? I don't have a diary,” Ichigo started to deny all knowledge of any diary and then remembered. “That's years old. I don't write in it any more.”
 
“Yeah I know. I looked at the last time you wrote in it,” Rukia chuckled.
 
“I thought you said you didn't read it,” Ichigo retorted, while trying to remember what he had written that made Rukia laugh.
 
“I only read a bit. I'm not interested in the ramblings of a 9 year old. You were firmly convinced you were going to be either a Power Ranger or a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Piece of advice. I think you have more chance of being a Power Ranger. You couldn't cut it as a Turtle,” Rukia said laughing again.
 
He felt his face flush with either rage or embarrassment. “I was a kid. What do you expect? I bet you had stupid ambitions when you were 9,” Ichigo shot back.
 
“When I was 9, my only ambition was to survive,” Rukia said the laughter dying quickly.
 
“What do you mean by that?” Ichigo asked. He knew little about Rukia's life and was curious.
 
“Nothing. Now what are you going to wear? Not your uniform.” Rukia said her face expressionless.
 
He had seen that expression before. If he asked anything further, she would not reply. “Casual clothes, of course. Jeans or something,” Ichigo responded.
 
“Good idea. I think you should wear jeans and a nice shirt. I'll choose the shirt for you,” Rukia told Ichigo moving to the wardrobe and opening the door to look at his clothes.
 
“And what are you going to wear? “Your pyjamas or the school uniform?” Ichigo asked derisively, shutting the wardrobe that she had opened.
 
“Tomorrow you're taking me shopping for a dress. We'll need quite a bit of money because I need quite a few new clothes,” Rukia said and then looked at Ichigo. “You're doing that bad imitation of a goldfish again. Close your mouth. You can't tell when I'm making a joke, can you? I have something to wear. Don't worry. I won't embarrass you with my choice of clothes.”
 
Ichigo sighed. “I can see it's pointless to argue with you. Okay. You lead, I'll follow but only this time. Now can I study in peace? Unless of course you want to tell me how to behave when we're on this marathon date.”
 
“I'll talk to you about that on Saturday. I want it be fresh in your mind,” Rukia answered seriously.
 
“I was kidding. You're not seriously going to tell me how to act, are you?” Ichigo said amazed. Did she want to direct every aspect of his life?
 
“Of course I am. You've never been on a date before, have you?”
 
“Yes, I've been on a date before,” Ichigo said goaded into anger again.
 
“I'm not talking about a play date, Ichigo. I'm talking about a real date with a girl over the age of 14. You have to know the rules.” Rukia was firm in her instruction and he felt himself waver, but only for a second.
 
Ichigo had heard enough. “Rukia, you don't know every detail of my life before you came to destroy it. You make assumptions that are not necessarily true. One more word Rukia and Kon will be on the date, not me. Now leave me alone.”
 
“Fine. We'll talk about this later. I'll be in the wardrobe if you want to discuss the date further,” Rukia said.
 
Ichigo gazed at the wall for a few minutes after Rukia retired to the wardrobe. Finally he turned his attention to the text books and started to study. He hoped Sunday would never arrive.
 
 
 
Author's Note:
 
I like writing a bit of fluff every so often. It makes a change from angst and psychological problems.
 
Next chapter: The Date. Will Rukia coach Ichigo on how to behave? Will Kon find out about the date? What movie will they see? Will Uryu wear his Quincy uniform? Will Orihime dump Ichigo in favour of the subtle charms of the Quincy? Will a surprise visitor from Soul Society sweep Rukia off her feet? How big a fiasco can this date be?
 
Some or none of these questions will be answered in the next chapter.
 
Review please.
 
MS