Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ The Date: Part One ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
This is a divergence from the actual events in Bleach. None of this happened in the manga or the anime.
 
The Date: Part One
 
“For pity's sake, Rukia. I go to school with Orihime and Uryu. They know who I am. Why should I act any differently when we go out together? It would be stupid. There is no such thing as date behaviour. Just leave it, or I'll put Kon in my body. At this point it seems the only sane idea,” Ichigo said wearily.
 
To his surprise, Rukia took the threat seriously.
 
“No, not Kon. There wouldn't be enough time to ensure that he understood what he needed to do. Sorry, Ichigo. I just want this to be fun,” she said.
 
“I'm not enjoying it already. Let me go to bed. Still meeting them at 10.00? If so I want some sleep” Ichigo replied unenthusiastically, trying not the letting the astonishment at her apology show.
 
Rukia meekly went to bed. That was another surprise. Could she be nervous about the date also? Or was it because of the Hollow incident earlier?
 
Nearly every detail of the date had been planned. Occasionally, Ichigo wondered if Rukia would be good at planning a military campaign. She really concentrated on the detail. He'd baulked at the idea of allowing her to choose his clothes. What were clothes anyway? It wasn't as if he was trying to impress anyone.
 
If he had to choose the top 10 weeks in his life that he hated, this would rank about number 4. He'd mentally christened this new Rukia “Road Train Rukia”. Nothing stopped her. She slowed for no one. She ignored any suggestions or opposition and kept formulating new plans. It was very trying. One afternoon he'd gone downtown with Keigo just to get away from her. It hadn't been fun but at least he didn't have to listen to Rukia's schemes. After about 2 hours he ditched Keigo and went home. The guy was just too excitable. Even in “Road Train” mode, Rukia was easier to cope with.
 
Since then he'd worn his headphones at home just to drown out Rukia's voice. It made studying easier. He didn't care if she noticed.
 
Orihime and Uryu had acted as normal whenever they met at school. Admittedly, Orihime seemed to be daydreaming more often in class and glancing in his direction, but it wasn't that noticeable. It was only Rukia who seemed to be obsessed by the date. Uryu remained as self contained as normal. Ichigo had noticed him watching Orihime and Rukia more closely with a small smile playing at the edges of his mouth. He wondered what Uryu found so amusing.
 
As he lay in bed, Ichigo tried to dismiss his irritation with Rukia. It would make it difficult to sleep. She had been annoying him about the date all week. She wouldn't listen to him when he tried to talk to her about anything else. She'd tried to tell him another idea today, when he was killing a Hollow. She'd nearly distracted him at a critical point. That had been serious. It was lucky he healed quickly and had remained focused. Since that incident she had been a little more tractable.
 
“Ichigo, I have another idea,” Rukia said, popping her head out the cupboard.
 
“Shut up, Rukia. I'm trying to sleep,” Ichigo groaned.
 
“It won't take long. Why don't you…”
 
“I'm not interested, Rukia. Why don't you tell Kon? Should I get him for you?” Ichigo asked as he turned his back to her.
 
He heard the cupboard close quietly. Satisfied he closed his eyes and tried to find his way into sleep.
 
Flickering at the edge of his mind were those images that had caused him to change his mind. Nothing would happen tomorrow. Not under the cynical observation of Uryu or Rukia, but maybe he could slip away with Orihime, for a few moments. Kiss her maybe. A kiss didn't mean anything. Thinking about kissing Orihime led Ichigo's brain down a very familiar track and the inevitable happened. There was no privacy in his room. Damn, he'd have to go to the bathroom and take care of it, or he'd never get to sleep. He thought for a few seconds more, images crowding his mind, but then he bowed to the inescapable. He went to the bathroom and made sure that the door was firmly locked.
 
Returning to his room some time later, Ichigo noticed Kon sitting on his bed.
 
“Will I be allowed to sleep tonight?” Ichigo wondered.
 
“Ichigo,” whined Kon. “Can I have the body tomorrow? You haven't let me have it for so long. I want to have some fun.”
 
“No.”
 
“Oooh, Ichigo. You are so mean. I'm sure that Rukia would let me.”
 
“I'm sure that Rukia would never let you use her body,” Ichigo replied with certainty.
 
“Rukia would let me use your body,” Kon rationalised.
 
“Not tomorrow she won't. We have plans,” Ichigo said and then bit his tongue unwilling to say any more.
 
“What are those plans, Ichigo? Can I come?” Kon pleaded.
 
“We're, um, studying. Yes, studying all day,” Ichigo lied.
 
“Studying? Well, if it's with Rukia I want to come too,” Kon demanded.
 
“No. You'll hate it. We're going to study with Uryu,” Ichigo said.
 
“Spectacles? Why do you want to study with him?” Kon asked.
 
“It's not important,” said Ichigo as he removed Kon from the bed and placing him on the desk.
 
He lay down again. Kon climbed back on to the bed and poked Ichigo.
 
“I know there's something you're not telling me. You don't lie convincingly. I'll find out,” Kon said.
 
“I don't care. Now let me sleep,” Ichigo said pulling the pillow over his face, trying to shut out Kon's voice.
 
Ichigo was feeling much more tranquil after his trip to the bathroom. Kon's threats did not worry him and the pillow managed to drown out much of Kon's voice. Soon, Ichigo was asleep.
 
When he woke the next morning he felt odd. He thought he was lying on his back, but something was on his face. Touching the object oh his face, he realised it was his pillow. With a wry smile he remembered Kon's threats as he removed the pillow, only to find Kon glaring at him.
 
“What were you dreaming about, Ichigo? You were making strange noises. I think you said Orihime's name,” Kon asked.
 
“You misheard. That was probably because I had a pillow on my face,” Ichigo said dismissively.
 
I don't think it was that,” Kon said.
 
“Leave it! I can't even sleep without people being critical of how I sleep. Now get out. I want to get dressed,” Ichigo said.
 
He looked at the clock. It was 9.15; later than he expected. He better get ready in a hurry. He started to remove his shirt.
 
“You can't get dressed in here. You wouldn't want to shock Rukia if she came out while you were dressing, would you?”
 
“I don't think it's possible to shock her,” Ichigo grumbled collecting some clothes. “I'll have a shower and get changed in the bathroom. Will that satisfy your delicate sensibilities? You can remain here, and stay out of the wardrobe. Rukia will probably stomp you if she sees you.”
 
He left; not bothering to listen anything Kon said. Unfortunately Isshin was in the bathroom using the shower. Ichigo knocked on the door.
 
“Go away,” yelled Isshin.
 
“Will you be long?” asked Ichigo.
 
“No.”
 
“How long?”
 
“Go away. I'm busy,” Isshin commanded.
 
Not knowing what to do, Ichigo wandered back to his room to find Rukia fully dressed, talking to Kon.
 
“Aren't you ready yet?” Rukia demanded.
 
Without answering, Ichigo went back to wait outside the bathroom. He'd heard Rukia use that tone before. Standing in the hall way was preferable to spending any time with Rukia when she was in that mood.
 
Minutes passed and Isshin finally vacated the bathroom. Ichigo quickly got in the shower and found there was no hot water left. Shuddering he washed as quickly as possible and dressed, still shivering.
 
“This day has started well,” he thought cynically. “I'm sure it's going to be downhill all the way from now.”
 
He quickly looked in the mirror. It didn't matter how he looked; he wasn't trying to impress anyone.
 
As he glanced at his watch he noticed it was already 9.45. He ran downstairs and outside yelling a quick good-bye. Rukia was waiting impatiently a few houses down the street.
 
“Have you got everything?” was her first question.
 
“What do I need?” Ichigo asked perplexed.
 
“Money, keys, debit card. Have you got them with you?” Rukia demanded.
 
Ichigo quickly checked his pocket. “Yeah, I've got everything. Have you brought your sense of humour, because I can't see any sign of it? Damn you're grouchy. What's biting you? Haven't you ever been on a date before?”
 
“Come on, let's go,” Rukia said ignoring his question. She quickly walked in the direction of the cinema where they were meeting Uryu and Orihime.
 
Ichigo wondered if he'd stuck a nerve, then shrugged. Rukia's private life was of no interest to him. It might be fun to watch how she coped with the date. A small smile crossed his face.
 
Catching up with her he asked, “Which film are we going to see? You didn't decide on that romance, did you?”
 
“No. I thought the espionage film would be better. I don't want Uryu getting any ideas,” she replied tersely.
 
Ichigo was surprised. “What do you mean by that?”
 
“He's been acting strangely ever since I asked him on the date. He keeps looking at me in class. On a number of occasions he's even started a conversation with me about topics other than school,” Rukia explained.
 
Ichigo felt his lips twitch. “Talking to you? Looking at you? How could he? Maybe you should have asked Keigo instead.”
 
Rukia glared at Ichigo. “It isn't funny.”
 
“I'm sure Uryu will behave. He's just being friendly. Could we slip Kon into his body for the date?” Ichigo suggested.
 
Rukia snorted with laughter and relaxed slightly. “I think I prefer Uryu. At least he won't try to look up my dress every few minutes.”
 
Uryu and Orihime were waiting for them outside the cinema. To Ichigo's disappointment, Uryu was wearing normal clothes. Briefly Ichigo had amused himself with the thought that he might turn up in his Quincy outfit. That might have been entertaining but the clothes would attract too much attention.
 
Orihime looked very pretty in a green dress that was tight in the right places and loose elsewhere. Ichigo admired her as he approached. She smiled at him. After greetings were exchanged, Rukia assumed her dictator role.
 
“Ichigo, you and Uryu buy the tickets. Orihime, why don't we go but some popcorn and drinks? Ichigo, I need some money,” Rukia said flustered, while smiling sweetly at Orihime.
 
Ichigo shrugged and handed her some cash. She was still in that mood.
 
Uryu and Ichigo joined the line for the tickets. There were a few people ahead of them. Ichigo wondered if the cinema would be full, or if they'd manage to get a seat up the back.
 
“Will we have to sit with Rukia and Uryu,” he wondered. “I hope not. If I could get in the back row with Orihime…” Ichigo's thoughts were interrupted by Uryu.
 
“The guy's waiting for you to pay him,” Uryu said to Ichigo.
 
“Huh? Oh, here,” said Ichigo passing over some more money. Briefly he wondered why he was paying.
 
“How come I'm paying for the tickets?” Ichigo asked Uryu.
 
“I'm paying for half of lunch,” Uryu explained, disinterested in the question.
 
They met Rukia and Orihime who had their hands full of purchases from the snack bar.
 
“Did you buy me any popcorn?” Ichigo asked.
 
“Yes,” said Orihime handing him a large container.
 
“Thanks Orihime,” Ichigo said.
 
“I bought you this,” Rukia said curtly to Uryu shortly, passing him some popcorn and a drink.
 
Ichigo was amused to notice that she refused to look at him as she handed him the items. She was nervous. Ichigo quickly looked at Uryu. He did appear to be staring at Rukia but that might be because of the tone of her voice.
 
“Let's go and find some seats,” Ichigo suggested. There seemed little point in just standing there looking at each other. Maybe the movie would distract Rukia from her mood.
 
When they went into the cool darkness of the cinema, Ichigo stifled a feeling of disappointment. The back row was fully occupied.
 
“Maybe we should split up and sit separately,” he suggested hopefully. If he could sit alone with Orihime he might have the nerve to do something. At least Rukia wouldn't be watching his every move.
 
“No!” Rukia objected loudly. Heads turned to look for the source of the noise. “I think we should sit together. There are some seats up there,” she hissed as she indicated the middle of the cinema.
 
Ichigo shrugged and followed her lead. Rukia grabbed him by his arm and said urgently in his ear, “You have to sit next to me! Please!”
 
The plea in her voice surprised Ichigo. He removed her hand but nodded his agreement. There was no real problem. He would be sitting next to Orihime at least. Maybe sitting next to Uryu would divert Rukia.
 
Arriving at the row she had selected, Rukia encouraged Uryu to enter the row first. He moved into the middle of the row. Being this close to the screen meant there were fewer people and the row to Uryu's right was empty. Rukia sat next to Uryu reluctantly, while Ichigo sat between Rukia and Orihime. Once they were settled Ichigo turned and talked to Orihime. Let Rukia talk to Uryu. This date was her idea.
 
“I've heard this movie had good reviews. Did you want to see it?” Ichigo asked.
 
“I wanted to see it because it's set in Italy and other parts of Europe. I'd like to visit there one day,” she replied.
 
“Any particular place?”
 
“No particular place. If I could, I would just travel around, stopping wherever I wanted. Maybe I should try to learn Italian, or French? German?” Orihime mused.
 
The lights began to dim and the noise in the cinema died down. As the title of the film came up, Ichigo noticed a disturbance and noise to his right. Some weird spiky haired guy, dressed like a Shinigami, had picked up Uryu and shoved him into the next seat. Uryu was protesting as the new guy sat next to Rukia. Ichigo was about to jump to his feet when he noticed the expression on Rukia's face. She seemed incredulous and overjoyed to see this stranger. She glanced at Ichigo briefly and shook her head as if warning him to leave things alone.
 
Some of the patrons behind were protesting at the noise from Uryu. None of them seemed to have a problem with the spiky haired guy. Ichigo realised that if the guy was a Shinigami, they couldn't see him but they would hear Uryu complaining. What was a Shinigami doing here?
 
Rukia leant across to Uryu and said a few words that seemed to calm him down. He stopped protesting. Instead he glared at the new guy who was whispering to Rukia.
 
“What the hell is going on?” Ichigo thought. “I think I'll watch what's happening here.”
 
Ichigo watched, but the guy and Rukia stopped talking. Both of them had their eyes on the screen. Gradually Ichigo remembered who was sitting next to him. He quickly glanced at Orihime. She seemed absorbed in the movie also. Deciding to go with the flow, Ichigo started concentrating on the movie. He could find out what was happening later.
 
After a few high speed car chases and the discovery of an evil plan to ruin the economy of Luxembourg, Ichigo let his attention wander. He noticed that Rukia and the new guy were holding hands. That seemed like a good idea. He'd like to hold hands with Orihime. That might get him closer to fulfilling some of his fantasies.
 
Shyly, and without looking, Ichigo reached across the arm of the chair, trying to find Orihime's hand. Instead he knocked her popcorn over. She jumped slightly and looked first at her lap which was now covered with popcorn and then looked at Ichigo.
 
“I'm sorry Orihime,” Ichigo whispered contritely. “Here have mine.”
 
She shook her head as she brushed the popcorn off her lap.
 
“Will you share with me?” Ichigo whispered insistently.
 
“Yes, I'll share with you, Ichigo,” she whispered back.
 
Giving up the idea of trying to hold hands for the moment, in case he knocked over his popcorn, Ichigo tried to concentrate on the movie. He didn't find the villain very convincing. Too much eyeliner and mascara did not make for a convincing bad guy. Nor did the high pitched laugh. Maybe the hero would be a better bad guy. He let his attention drift as he started to remember some of the images he'd enjoyed earlier. He suddenly sat up straight. It was not a good idea to think about that right now. It was a very bad idea. Instead he wondered about the guy sitting next to Rukia.
 
When she had rejected him, Rukia had mentioned that she was interested in someone back in Soul Society. This might be the guy. From Rukia's reaction, it was very likely. It seemed odd he had shown up now and knew exactly where to find Rukia. Probably something to do with that reiatsu thing she'd talked about.
 
He tried to watch the movie again. One final car chase, one more confrontation, one more laboriously intense denouement and it was finally over. Ichigo hadn't enjoyed the movie. It seemed that there was too much reliance on action and not enough on the plot.
 
He stretched and looked briefly at Rukia, the guy sitting next to her and Uryu. Rukia and the guy were grinning at each other. Uryu still did not look happy.
 
“Did you enjoy the movie?” Ichigo asked turning his attention to Orihime.
 
“Not really. I thought it seemed a little improbable. The scenery was nice, though,” she replied quietly, as if afraid to offend the other people in the cinema.
 
Ichigo smiled at her. “You're right. The scenery was nice. Pity about the plot and the villain.” He leant across and whispered, “I think at the moment, Uryu would make a better villain. He looks sulky.”
 
Orihime glanced past Ichigo to look at Uryu. A guilty smile crossed her face, but she quickly asked, “Who is that person sitting next to Rukia? He's dressed like you, when you are not in your body.”
 
“Didn't you notice the disturbance earlier?” Ichigo asked incredulously.
 
Orihime coloured briefly. “My thoughts were elsewhere, Ichigo. I was thinking how happy I was to be here.”
 
“Oh. Well, um, this guy suddenly appeared and put Uryu in the seat next to Rukia. I think she knows him. Maybe we should wait until we are outside before we ask.”
 
Orihime nodded in agreement.
 
They waited until all the other cinema patrons left before making their way outside. As if by tacit agreement no one spoke. With Ichigo leading the way, they walked into the park, to the quiet section where he and Rukia had discovered Orihime and Kon. For some reason, it seemed the best place to go.
 
As soon as they were alone, Uryu burst out, “Who is this guy? I thought I was your date, Rukia.” Uryu glared at the guy.
 
Ichigo admired how the Quincy had maintained control for so long. He would have created a scene when the guy had appeared. It would have been odd, fighting someone no one else could see.
 
Rukia smiled shyly. “This is Renji Abarai, a Shinigami. We grew up together. I haven't seen him for some time. I'm as surprised as you that he turned up today.”
 
“Rukia, I always told you if you wanted to date someone, I had to chaperone. You just can't trust teenagers. They'll try to take advantage of you,” Renji said putting his arm around her.
 
Rukia laughed. Uryu scowled. Renji shot an arrogant glance in his direction.
 
“Sorry to interrupt your date, kid. Rukia means a lot to me. When I heard that Rukia was going on a date, I had to come.”
 
“How did you hear?” Rukia asked.
 
“I have my sources,” said Renji, lightly.
 
With visible effort, Uryu controlled his anger. “As I am no longer needed, I will go. You can continue your date without me,” he said harshly.
 
Rukia instantly looked guilty.
 
“I'm so sorry, Uryu. Please, you don't have to leave. We'll say it's not a date; that we're just hanging around together. I really appreciate that you agreed to come and I would hate to think that an unexpected visit by a friend would prevent our outing from continuing.”
 
“Please don't go,” Orihime added.
 
Ichigo wished she hadn't said that. It would be easier if Uryu left.
 
Uryu shot a quick glance at Orihime and then Ichigo. He seemed to consider the matter. His expression was unreadable.
 
Ichigo thought that Uryu was formulating some new plan.
 
“Okay. One condition. He has to have a body of some kind,” he said pointing at Renji. “It would look peculiar to see you holding hands with nobody,” he said bitterly to Rukia.
 
“We'll see if Urahara has a gigai he will rent out,” Rukia said. “I don't know if he's open today, but we can check.”
 
“No holding hands or hugging in public until he has a body,” Uryu demanded.
 
Rukia glanced at Renji and blushed.
 
“You don't make all the rules, kid,” Renji said.
 
“Not all of them, but in this case I think it only sensible to follow this suggestion,” Uryu temporised.
 
“Fine,” snapped Renji. He removed his arm from Rukia's waist.
 
Rukia led the way to the shop with Renji walking close beside her. Their heads were close as they talked quietly to each other. Ichigo and Uryu followed, Orihime walking between them. Ichigo glanced at Orihime occasionally. Often she would be glancing at him. They smiled awkwardly at each other every time their gazes met. Ichigo tried to think of something to say.
 
“I hate Shinigami's, especially pushy red headed Shinigami's,” Uryu muttered.
 
“I know you hate me, Quincy. You've told me often enough,” Ichigo replied.
 
“I wasn't talking about you,” Uryu said.
 
“Can't you be happy for Rukia? She seems pleased to see her friend,” Ichigo said.
 
“I'm happy for Rukia,” Orihime said quietly. “I think she's missed Soul Society while she's been here. It's nice that Renji came to visit.”
 
“Can't you see he's more than a friend? She should have asked him on the date in the first place,” Uryu protested.
 
They arrived at Urahara's shop to find the proprietor standing outside, looking at the sky.
 
“Hello, Miss Kuchiki. Nice to see you brought some friends. What can I do for you today?” Urahara asked.
 
“I would like to rent a gigai for the day. For Renji. Renji Abarai, meet Kisuke Urahara,” Rukia said.
 
Urahara looked at Renji curiously. “You need to rent a gigai for just one day? That's unusual. You'll need to leave a very large security deposit. I can fulfil your request, but it won't be cheap.”
 
“It never is,” muttered Rukia under her breath.
 
“How do you propose to pay for it? I think you've claimed all the credits for the Hollow kills,” Urahara continued ignoring Rukia's comment.
 
“These two will pay,” Rukia said indicating Ichigo and Uryu.
 
“What?” said Ichigo and Uryu, together.
 
“Now listen, Rukia. This is not fair. I agreed to come on this date after considerable pressure from you. Now you want me to pay for some guy I've never met before to have the use of a gigai,” Ichigo spluttered.
 
He heard a small gasp. He turned to find Orihime looking at him, distressed. He flushed as he realised what he had said.
 
“I didn't mean it like that. I'm really pleased I'm on a date with you, Orihime,” he said quickly.
 
Orihime swallowed and tried to smile.
 
“That's okay, Ichigo. I didn't realise that this date was not your choice,” she said.
 
“It would have been my choice, if I'd been allowed to make it,” Ichigo insisted. For some strange reason the words held the ring of truth.
 
Orihime heard the truth in his reply and gave Ichigo one of her beaming smiles.
 
“Thank you Ichigo,” she said happily.
 
“Have you finished?” Uryu demanded. “I don't see why I have to pay. He's replacing me on the date.”
 
“But you were the one who requested we find him a body. This is the only place I know to get a gigai,” Rukia said reasonably. “How much is it?” she asked Urahara.
 
He named a sum that made Orihime, Uryu and Ichigo gasp.
 
“I only want it for the day. I don't want to buy it,” Renji said angrily.
 
“I don't like short term rentals,” Urahara said. “You might damage it so that it can't be used again. That it the total cost. The security deposit on the gigai is three quarters of the price and you will get that back once the gigai is returned safely. I'm running a business, not a charity.”
 
“Can't you lower the price?” Rukia asked sweetly.
 
“I'm not paying half of that,” Ichigo insisted.
 
“You will have to pay me back, Shinigami,” Uryu said to Ichigo.
 
“I'll help with the money,” Orihime said quietly.
 
After some haggling, Urahara cut the price in half, “But only because you are my favourite customer,” he said moving close to Rukia.
 
Renji growled and Urahara laughed. “Come with me and I'll arrange it all,” he said to Renji.
 
Renji reluctantly followed Urahara into the shop, glancing back at Rukia.
 
“It shouldn't take too long,” Rukia assured the others. “Urahara may be peculiar but he does good work.”
 
“It's so much money, Rukia,” Ichigo said.
 
“I'm sorry. I didn't think it would be so expensive. I'll pay you back, somehow and you will get most of it back when Renji returns the gigai,” she said honestly. “I haven't seen Renji for so long. I want to spend some time with him. We've been friends since we were children. I've missed him.”
 
“Is he the person you mentioned? The one you care about?” Ichigo questioned.
 
Rukia glanced at Orihime and Uryu. “I said that in private to you, Ichigo. Yes, Renji is the person I care about.”
 
Uryu sneered. Orihime smiled at Rukia.
 
“I know he's different. He had a difficult time growing up,” Rukia explained.
 
“Those eyebrows are something else. What's with the funky hairstyle and tattoos?” Ichigo asked.
 
“That's just Renji,” Rukia said dismissively.
 
“As he's your friend, I'm sure he's nice,” Orihime said.
 
“I don't think he should have interrupted our date,” Uryu said.
 
Renji and Urahara emerged from the shop, Renji in a gigai. A headband covered his eyebrows and he wore jeans and a shirt.
 
He walked over to Rukia and smiled down at her. “How do I look?”
 
“Like a moron,” she replied, smiling up at him.
 
“That makes two of us then,” he replied.
 
“Who are you calling a moron, idiot?” Rukia retorted, still smiling.
 
“Could you pay me now?” Urahara interrupted.
 
With contributions from everyone except Rukia and Renji, they paid the extortionate cost of the security deposit and day rental on the gigai. After many compliments, sly innuendos, reminders about closing time and best wishes, Urahara returned to the interior of the shop.
 
“We don't have enough money to have lunch at the place you chose,” Uryu said to Rukia.
 
“Too bad. We can have lunch in a fast food place,” Ichigo said wanting to needle the Quincy.
 
“It is expected that you thank some one when they perform a service for you,” Uryu said to Renji disdainfully.
 
“What do you mean? Just because you paid out some money for me to get a gigai? It was your idea. I don't see why I have to thank you for that,” Renji said aggressively.
 
Rukia caught Renji by the arm. “Thank you, Uryu, Ichigo and Orihime,” she said quickly.
 
Uryu nodded. “That's all that was required.”
 
“I think you're making a fuss over nothing” said Renji. “It's only money.”
 
“It's not your money,” said Uryu walking off in disgust.
 
The other followed him. Ichigo and Orihime caught up with him, Orihime walking in the middle again. Renji and Rukia trailed far behind holding hands again.
 
Ichigo decided to try holding Orihime's hand again. If Renji and Rukia could hold hands in public, so could he. During all the stupid events of the date so far, Ichigo found he was admiring Orihime more. She was the voice of reason, not losing her temper or making demands. She was sweet and a welcome contrast to Rukia. Ichigo was a little confused by his change of feelings. Desire had been tempered with something akin to respect.
 
He reached out and grasped a hand.
 
“What the hell do you think you're doing Shinigami?” Uryu demanded angrily.
 
Ichigo turned and noticed he was holding Uryu's hand. Dropping Uryu's hand, Ichigo glanced back to see Orihime looking at a kitten by the path. She was trying to pat it. Uryu looked thunderous.
 
“I thought you were Orihime,” Ichigo explained very embarrassed.
 
“Never touch me again, or I will kill you,” Uryu said reasonably. “Since I am still on this so called date, and Rukia is no longer available, I think it is only right I have a chance with Orihime.”
 
“I thought you liked Rukia,” Ichigo was stunned. He looked at Uryu who appeared completely serious.
 
“I am flexible in my preferences,” Uryu said smoothly. “Besides, it was I who issued the invitation to Orihime.”
 
“On my behalf,” Ichigo protested, glaring at Uryu. “I don't see why you should be given a chance with Orihime.”
 
“All's fair in love and war.”
 
“So is this love, or war?” Ichigo could not prevent himself from asking.
 
“A little of each: Shinigami against Quincy, for the love of the charming Orihime. I'll win,” Uryu said with confidence, a small smile on his face.
 
“No. I won't compete against you. It wouldn't be fair to Orihime. She's a person, not a prize.”
 
“I will compete against you whether you agree or not,” Uryu assured Ichigo.
 
“What are you two talking about so seriously,” Rukia asked as she and Renji finally caught up. She wrenched her attention from Renji for a few moments to notice that Ichigo and Uryu were glaring at each other.
 
Ichigo and Uryu did not answer.
 
“Fighting again,” Rukia said. “I wish you two would accept your differences.”
 
Renji whispered something in her ear and she laughed.
 
Orihime joined them at this point. “Sorry. I thought the kitten was lost, but its owner came to find it. Is anything wrong?”
 
“Not at all,” Uryu said graciously. “That colour suits you, Orihime.”
 
Orihime looked at her dress and smiled. “Thank you, Uryu. It is very nice of you compliment me.”
 
“I like the way you did your hair today,” Ichigo said.
 
Orihime blushed. “Thank you,” she murmured.
 
“Can we go eat?” Renji asked. “I'm hungry and I want to see what this fast food place is like.”
 
“It's all about you,” Uryu grumble quietly.
 
Ichigo glanced at Orihime. Her face had a small frown. He reached out and took her hand.
 
“It was a really nice thing you did, Orihime, helping to pay for the gigai,” he said gently.
 
Orihime looked at his hand holding hers and blushed again. She did not try to remove her hand from his grasp. “Thank you Ichigo,” she said softly.
 
Uryu saw this interaction and opened his mouth to say something. Renji hissed at him slightly. Uryu raised his eyes to meet Renji's glare.
 
“Do you have a problem with everyone?” Renji asked.
 
Uryu shrugged. “I don't want to be here. I only remained because I was asked. I have other interests I could be pursuing now.”
 
“Let's go and eat,” said Ichigo who had ignored all the by play. He was surprised how pleasant it felt to hold Orihime's hand.
 
They wandered in the direction of the fast food place. They were silent until they arrived. It was busy.
 
“We'll grab a table,” Rukia suggested quickly. “Come on Renji.” They moved quickly to the back and sat at the table in the corner.
 
“What do you want to eat,” Ichigo called after them.
 
“Just some burgers and fries. I don't really care,” Rukia replied distractedly as Renji put his arm around her.
 
Ichigo and Orihime queued together still holding hands. Uryu stayed behind, obviously uncomfortable and discontented.
 
When they were finally served Ichigo hurriedly ordered. When the order was filled, Ichigo, Orihime and Uryu grabbed the trays and went to the table. Rukia and Renji's faces were very close together.
 
Ichigo placed his tray in front of them.
 
“I got a variety, just in case. We don't have much money left,” he said loudly in an attempt to get their attention.
 
“All this talk about money. Are all humans so obsessed with it?” Renji asked Rukia.
 
“Remember, they are teenagers and have limited funds,” Rukia said sweetly. “They did hire your gigai for you.”
 
“Can we stop talking about that,” Renji demanded. “I want to talk about other things with you,” he said suggestively.
 
Rukia smiled at Renji.
 
“I think I'm going to be ill,” Uryu said in disgust. “Could we just eat without all this mawkish interaction? You said you were hungry,” Uryu addressed Renji.
 
“Okay, okay. We'll eat. He protests a lot,” Renji said to Rukia.
 
“Who wants some fries,” Orihime asked in an attempt to distract them from the brewing fight.
 
“I'll try some,” said Renji.
 
They shared out the food. Ichigo was slightly surprised by Renji's reaction to some of the food. Then he remembered how Rukia had been unfamiliar with many things when she arrived. “They probably don't have this sort of food in Soul Society,” he thought.
 
Uryu ate in gloomy silence except when Orihime ventured a quiet comment. He replied to her in a pleasant manner but ignored Rukia and Renji and was very curt with Ichigo.
 
Rukia and Renji were too involved in talking to each other, stealing fries and gazing into each others eyes.
 
Ichigo chatted with Orihime about the food, the movie and Europe. He didn't care about the other people. Let Uryu be awkward. The other two couldn't be bothered with anyone else.
 
Ichigo vaguely wondered why Rukia has been unaware of Renji's feelings. He was making them pretty clear now. If they sat any closer to each other, Rukia would be in Renji's lap.
 
Watching their interaction made him question his feelings for Orihime. The declined competition with Uryu for Orihime made him re-evaluate his ideas about having a girlfriend. Uryu had said he would be trying to gain Orihime's affection whether Ichigo competed or not. He knew Uryu was clever. Not that he was competing, but Orihime was his date. He didn't want to let the Quincy win.
 
This date was very different to his expectations.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
End of Part One: The Date.
 
Author's Note:
 
This kept getting bigger as I wrote it. I decided I didn't want to write a 10,000 word chapter. I hope you enjoyed it.
 
I hope this answered some of your questions. As to how Renji found out about the date? That may be revealed in the next chapter.
 
Next chapter: Will Uryu leave in disgust, or will he up the stakes in the competition for Orihime? Why did Ichigo change his mind about Orihime? Will they get the security deposit back for the gigai? Will all Rukia's plans be discarded? How quickly will they run out of money?
 
Please review.
 
MS