Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ The Date: Part Two ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
 
The Date: Part Two
 
After finishing their meal, they continued sitting at the table. No one wanted to make the first move. Uryu was being uncommunicative, Rukia and Renji kept whispering to each other and Ichigo was enjoying sitting close to Orihime. She smelt nice. He was still searching for topics of conversation when she turned to him.
 
“Was this date Rukia's idea,” she asked quietly.
 
Ichigo looked at her intense expression and wondered how he should reply. He didn't want to lie to her, but at the same time he didn't want to hurt her feelings.
 
“It was all Rukia's idea,” he heard a voice say.
 
He looked at Uryu who had a malicious expression on his face. It was Uryu who had uttered those damning words.
 
“I agreed with her,” Ichigo protested.
 
“Only after she threatened you,” Uryu retorted.
 
Ichigo looked at Orihime. She was beginning to look very hurt.
 
“Shut up, Uryu. You don't know what you're talking about. You weren't there.”
 
“I'd be hurt if I heard someone was forced to date me,” Uryu said slyly.
 
“Orihime, I wasn't forced on this date. At first I wasn't sure, but after I thought about it, I realised I wanted to date you,” Ichigo said, forgetting all his original protests.
 
Orihime looked from Uryu to Ichigo. She hesitated. Her face expressed her doubt.
 
“Why don't you ask Rukia,” suggested Uryu as he pushed his spectacles up his nose.
 
“I think we should leave. It's becoming busy and people seem to be waiting for our table,” Rukia said, unknowingly breaking the tension.
 
As they left the restaurant Ichigo noticed Orihime ask Rukia a question. He cursed silently. He was sure Orihime was asking Rukia about the date. As Rukia answered, Orihime's face cleared and she looked relieved. Uryu also watched the conversation and kept his expression unreadable as Orihime started to smile.
 
“That was dirty, Uryu,” Ichigo hissed.
 
“It nearly worked, though, didn't it? You were beginning to look worried.”
 
“I suppose this is only the beginning,” Ichigo said.
 
Uryu gave Ichigo an ironic smile. “Of course. I thought I made it clear earlier.”
 
They went outside and stood around not knowing what to do next. Rukia and Renji seemed oblivious of their surroundings and companions.
 
“What's the plan, Rukia? Do we stand around, or go and burn down the school?” Ichigo asked.
 
Rukia stopped gazing at Renji and looked at Ichigo. “I didn't suggest we burn down the school,” she said confused.
 
“That made you pay attention, at least. What are we doing now?”
 
“Shops. We'll look at the shops,” Rukia remembered. “That was what I planned originally.”
 
“We don't have much money,” Uryu reminded her.
 
“I see money is mentioned again,” Renji mocked.
 
“Quiet, Renji,” Rukia said. “Ichigo, can I talk to you privately?” she asked.
 
Renji began to say something. Uryu stared and Orihime looked concerned.
 
“I'll tell you later,” Rukia said to Renji.
 
Ichigo followed Rukia a few shops up the street. He felt he knew the question she would ask.
 
“Ichigo, would you withdraw some money, please?” Rukia gave him the special pleading look she normally reserved for teachers.
 
Even though he had guessed this would happen, Ichigo was not pleased.
 
“I'll pay you back. I'll give you all the money from the next hollow kill,” she urged.
 
“As I kill the hollows, the money is rightfully mine,” he pointed out.
 
Rukia bit her lip. “Maybe,” she said. “Okay. I'll do your homework for you.”
 
“No. The deal is the following: you give me some privacy. I want you to stop looking through my belongings. I don't want to be forced on dates and I want some time to myself. Also you give me the money from the next two hollow kills,” Ichigo stated bluntly.
 
Rukia thought for a moment and slowly nodded. “I agree,” she said with a sigh.
 
“And stop pushing me around. Oh, and distract Uryu. He's competing with me for Orihime,” Ichigo added.
 
“Too late. We already made our bargain,” Rukia grinned.
 
“I should have held out for more,” Ichigo said, disgusted.
 
They walked back to the others, Ichigo wishing that Uryu would just leave.
 
“It's okay. Ichigo has kindly agreed to withdraw some money. Let's go shopping.”
 
“That sounds like fun,” said Orihime, eagerly.
 
“I do not wish to go shopping. The shops are always crowded on Sundays,” Uryu pointed out.
 
“I agree with Uryu,” said Ichigo. “They are crowded.”
 
“I'd like to see them,” said Renji. “If you two children don't want to come, I'm quite happy to escort the two ladies to the shops.
 
Uryu and Ichigo exchanged a meaningful look.
 
“I'll come. You can go home, Uryu,” Ichigo said quickly.
 
“Don't worry. You can go home, if you want, Ichigo. I just remembered I needed to pick up some needles,” Uryu replied.
 
“Let's all go,” said Orihime trying to maintain the peace.
 
They walked in the direction of the shops. Passing an automatic teller, Ichigo withdrew some money. He hoped they would manage to retrieve the deposit for the gigai. He didn't like spending money like this. It seemed irresponsible.
 
They arrived at the shopping area. The place was full of people attending the sales.
 
“I forgot the sales were on,” Orihime exclaimed. “I saw the cutest little shirt with a rabbit on it,” she said to Rukia.
 
“A shirt with a rabbit! Where? Is it Chappy?” Rukia said excitedly.
 
“I think it was over there,” Orihime gestured to a store that displayed large discount signs.
 
“Come on. Let's go,” Rukia said running to the store, dragging Orihime.
 
The males followed slowly.
 
“How many hours do you think we'll be trapped here?” Ichigo asked Uryu.
 
“I blame you for this,” Uryu accused Renji.
 
“Let the women have their fun. If Rukia's happy, I'm happy,” Renji said with a sickeningly sloppy smile on his face.
 
“How'd you find out about the date, anyway?” Ichigo asked.
 
“The shop owner, Urahara sent me a message. I don't know why. I've never met him before,” Renji replied.
 
“He loves to interfere in things that don't concern him,” Ichigo commented. Looking toward the store he noticed Rukia beckoning to him urgently. “I suppose I better go and see what she wants,” he sighed.
 
Ichigo ambled over reluctantly, his hand already reaching for his wallet.
 
Rukia held up a shirt. “It is Chappy the bunny!” she almost cooed.
 
Orihime was holding a similar shirt with a happy smile on her face.
 
“How much?” Ichigo asked.
 
“It's 75% off. A real bargain. Orihime's found one in her size; well close enough. If you buy 2 you get the 75% discount, otherwise it's only 50%.”
 
“How much?” Ichigo asked again.
 
The sum she named was not unreasonable, but Ichigo was reluctant to spend the money on clothes.
 
“I'll distract Uryu a bit, if you let me have the shirt,” Rukia said to Ichigo quietly.
 
“Okay,” he said handing over the money.
 
Realising his usefulness was at an end for the moment, Ichigo went back to join Uryu and Renji. Renji was scowling at Uryu, who had a cool mocking look on his face. Ichigo noticed that Renji was clenching and unclenching his fists, as if deciding whether to punch Uryu.
 
“Let me guess. Uryu has been telling you about the superiority of the Quincy over the Shinigami,” Ichigo said.
 
“He's been talking lots of garbage. Hey, Quincy, if your people are so superior, how come you're the last one?”
 
Uryu looked over the top of his glasses at Renji. “We were betrayed by the Shinigami,” he explained coldly.
 
“Yeah, keep your fantasies,” Renji said moving closer.
 
Ichigo decided to intervene. “We're on a date, I mean an outing. I'm sure that Rukia and Orihime wouldn't be very pleased if they saw you fighting.”
 
Renji shrugged. “So, what's a date? Rukia's seen me fight before. I don't think it would worry her.”
 
“I was on a date with Rukia until you intruded. I don't think Orihime would like to see another fight,” Uryu said without inflexion.
 
Ichigo shook his head and was about to try another tack, when Orihime and Rukia returned.
 
Renji immediately put his arm around Rukia. She snuggled close and sighed happily.
 
“I got a Chappy the bunny T-shirt,” she told Renji.
 
“That's fine, I guess,” Renji said gazing at Rukia with a besotted look on his face.
 
Ichigo shook his head. Road train Rukia had completely gone. This person he saw was soft and vague.
 
“What are we supposed to be doing now?” Uryu demanded.
 
“We're still shopping. I have an idea. Why don't we break up and meet in half an hour. Uryu, you can come with us,” Rukia offered, not very persuasively.
 
Uryu looked at her as if measuring her sincerity. He then looked at Renji who was still looking at Rukia.
 
“No thank you. I think I might stay with Orihime and him,” he said gesturing at Ichigo. “We have unfinished business, don't we Ichigo?”
 
Ichigo looked at Orihime and then glowered at Uryu. “I don't have any unfinished business with you. Didn't you want to buy some pins or something? You could do that.”
 
“I need to buy needles, not pins. I can obtain them later. Why don't we look at the bookshop?”
 
Unnoticed, Renji and Rukia wandered off.
 
“Yeah. I could see if they have the latest volume of One Piece,” Ichigo said as they walked in the direction of the bookshop.
 
“Still reading manga, at your age?” Uryu sneered.
 
“I like One Piece, too,” Orihime exclaimed. “I think Nami is independent and resourceful. I wish I was more like her.”
 
Uryu pinched his lips together as Ichigo grinned mischievously at him.
 
“I suppose you could say manga is a Japanese art form. I might investigate the art,” Uryu equivocated.
 
Ichigo tried to suppress a laugh, but a look at Orihime made it impossible. She was trying not to laugh, also. As soon as Ichigo started to laugh, Orihime joined in.
 
“I'm so sorry, Uryu. That sounded so funny,” she spluttered.
 
Ichigo felt a surge of friendship toward Orihime. Laughing together made him feel more comfortable with her. At least they shared a similar sense of humour.
 
Uryu looked calm, but Ichigo could tell by his eyes that he was thunderous. He controlled his laughter and said, “It did sound peculiar. Look, the shop is just here.”
 
They went in. Orihime and Ichigo went to the manga section and started sorting through the titles, looking for the ones they wanted, while Uryu stalked off toward the literature section.
 
Ichigo quickly found the next instalment and was having a quick glance through the pages. Orihime, looking slightly guilty, was browsing through Hot Gimmick.
 
“Don't tell me you read that trash,” Ichigo said without thinking.
 
Orihime blushed. “I'm curious about which one she will choose,” she admitted shamefaced. “I keep hoping it will be the guy she first fell in love with.”
 
Ichigo shook his head. “Have you read this One Piece?” he asked.
 
Orihime shook her head. “Not yet. It's expensive to try to buy all the manga I want,” she said sadly.
 
“I'll buy it and loan it to you after I'm finished,” suggested Ichigo.
 
“I'd need the three before that,” Orihime said quietly. “I've been concentrating on collecting one manga at a time. I've almost finished getting all the volumes of Full Metal Alchemist.”
 
“We can swap. Hey, Orihime, I've had a great idea. Why don't we swap manga's? I'll keep buying One Piece and the others and you can borrow them.”
 
Orihime shifted uncomfortably. “Do you want to read Hot Gimmick or Full Metal Alchemist? I have collected a few other romance manga's,” she said looking at her feet.
 
Ichigo thought for a moment. Romance manga's might give him an inside edge with understanding how to act with girls. If Orihime liked them, maybe if he acted like the main male character, she might be more ready to agree to his suggestions.
 
“I'm open minded. I'll even read the romance as long as you read the ones I give you. Have you read Van von Hunter?
 
Orihime laughed. “I read the first volume and nearly laughed the whole way through. It was really funny. Do you have the next one?”
 
“Yes, and all of Rave Master and Naruto. Please tell me you aren't reading Boy Princess.”
 
Orihime looked embarrassed. “Um, I had a glance at it. Someone loaned me the books,” she admitted reluctantly.
 
“But you're not collecting them? Great. I don't have to it read then,” Ichigo said smiling.
 
Orihime smiled sweetly in return.
 
“I'll buy you a manga if you want,” Ichigo said diffidently. “I get a discount here if I buy more than one book and I only want this One Piece.”
 
Orihime looked surprised and then hopeful. “You don't have to do that, Ichigo,” she said quietly.
 
“I want you to have something to remember our first date,” Ichigo replied. He stopped, shocked, realising what he had said. “Our first date. It sounds like I'm planning other dates,” Ichigo thought distractedly.
 
“I would like this,” Orihime said showing the book she was holding.
 
“Okay. Let's buy them. I'll bring the last three books of One Piece to school tomorrow and let you borrow them,” Ichigo offered.
 
“Will you loan me the first three volumes?” a familiar voice asked.
 
Ichigo turned to see Uryu standing behind him. “How long have you been there?” he demanded.
 
“Long enough to hear you agree to read romance manga. Strange departure for a Shinigami,” Uryu commented.
 
“Oh, leave it Quincy. Why do you want to borrow the low life manga anyway?” Ichigo asked.
 
“I need a distraction. It might amuse me when I need to give my mind a rest from studying,” Uryu said.
 
“I'll loan it to you, as long as I don't have to explain it to you,” Ichigo replied.
 
Uryu raised an eyebrow. “Why would it require explanation?”
 
Ichigo smiled unkindly. “You may not understand the jokes,” he said. “You require a sense of humour to appreciate One Piece.”
 
Uryu frowned at Ichigo, his eyes glaring. “I possess a sense of humour,” he said.
 
“I've never seen any evidence of one,” Ichigo replied. “I thought that a Quincy had his sense of humour surgically removed at birth.”
 
Orihime quickly intervened before Uryu had a chance to reply. “Maybe we should try to find Rukia,” she suggested.
 
“It isn't half an hour, yet, but I'm happy to look for Rukia, if that's what you want to do,” Uryu replied, smiling at Orihime.
 
“I want to buy these first,” Ichigo said.
 
“Orihime and I can wait outside while you purchase them,” Uryu suggested.
 
Orihime glanced at Ichigo. “Ichigo is buying a manga for me,” she said hesitantly. “I think I should stay with him.”
 
Pleased by the response, Ichigo smiled broadly at Orihime. “I'd like that.”
 
Orihime returned his smile.
 
Uryu pursed his lips, unhappy with the way the competition was progressing, but reluctantly followed them to the cashier. After the purchase was completed, they left the bookstore.
 
Orihime quickly moved in the direction she thought that Rukia had taken. After a few steps she stopped. When Ichigo caught up he noticed her entranced gaze. She was looking at an ice-cream shop. There was quite a queue waiting to buy the sweet treats.
 
“Would you like an ice-cream, Orihime?”
 
Orihime lowered her lashed. “I know I ate lunch only a little while ago, but I love ice-cream,” she admitted.
 
“One scoop or two?” Ichigo laughed.
 
“I'll have one scoop of pistachio,” Uryu said.
 
“You can buy your own,” Ichigo replied. “I was asking Orihime.”
 
Orihime blushed. “I'll buy you an ice-cream,” she offered Uryu, politely.
 
Uryu curled his lip at Ichigo. “Thank you, Orihime. You are unfailingly generous. I accept your kind offer.”
 
Ichigo felt a little hurt that Orihime had offered to buy Uryu an ice-cream and not included him in the offer. Then he saw her glance at him.
 
“You wait here,” Ichigo instructed Uryu. “We'll get the ice-cream.”
 
“Don't tell me what to do, Shinigami,” Uryu retorted.
 
“I was hoping you would be kind enough to hold my shopping, so my hands would be free, Uryu,” Orihime said gently.
 
“Of course I'll hold your shopping, Orihime. In fact I was just about to offer,” Uryu said sincerely. “I'll just wait here…” his voice trailed off as Ichigo and Orihime entered the shop.
 
“I feel sorry for him, Ichigo,” Orihime confessed when they were out of earshot. “He was looking forward to this date.
 
“Did he tell you that?” Ichigo asked curiously.
 
“No. I just sensed it with my woman's intuition. I think Uryu likes Rukia. Perhaps he is upset by Renji interrupting his date. An ice-cream is a small consolation and it stopped you two having another argument,” Orihime explained.
 
“You are so selfless,” said Ichigo. He took her hand in his as they waited in the queue. “Because you are so nice, I think you deserve two scoops. What would you like?”
 
Orihime looked at their clasped hands in wonderment. “I don't know. Let me see what they have.”
 
They chatted about their favourite ice-creams as they waited. Ichigo glanced at the door regularly to see how Uryu was faring.
 
“Uryu seems to be a little impatient,” he observed quietly to Orihime. “He keeps looking at his watch and then looking at us.”
 
Orihime looked worried. “I hope he doesn't decide to leave,” she said.
 
“Why?” asked Ichigo, surprised.
 
“He isn't close to many people,” Orihime said. “I had hoped that you would become friends. You have so much in common.”
 
“More than you would believe,” Ichigo muttered, thinking about the competition.
 
Orihime gave him a puzzled look.
 
“Sorry, just muttering to myself,” he said.
 
They finally reached the front counter and received their ice-creams. Ichigo reluctantly released Orihime's hand as he took his lemon gelato.
 
Uryu opened the door brusquely for them. “That took more time than I anticipated,” he said accusingly.
 
“It's a popular place. We had to wait,” Orihime said contritely as she handed him his ice-cream. “I ordered a scoop of gooseberry ice-cream as well as the pistachio because we took so long.”
 
“You remember I like gooseberry? Orihime, you amaze me,” Uryu said.
 
“Ichigo suggested it,” Orihime said shyly.
 
Uryu looked at the ice-cream and then at Ichigo. “Are you trying to say something, Kurosaki?” he said bluntly.
 
Ichigo grinned. “Take it anyway you like it, Quincy. I asked Orihime if she knew another flavour of ice-cream you liked. Can't help it if you like gooseberry, can I?”
 
Uryu tensed. His knuckles whitened around the cone. For a moment it looked highly possible that he would throw the ice-cream at Ichigo.
 
“Why don't you taste it,” Orihime said sweetly. “It really is nice ice-cream.” She licked hers slowly, with her eyes shut in enjoyment.
 
Ichigo could not take his eyes off her tongue licking the ice-cream. It reminded him of one of his fantasies. He swallowed hard and shifted uncomfortably as he wrenched his eyes away quickly, worried about the inevitable result of such thoughts. He noticed Uryu gazing in fascination as Orihime enjoyed her treat. Ichigo quickly bit into his ice-cream to distract him. The lemon was tart and the cold bite took his breath away. He really had bitten off too much. He closed his eyes as he awaited the brain freeze. Once it was over he began to lick his ice-cream slowly. It was very good. Looking at Orihime he noticed her eyes were fixed on his mouth watching him eat. Her tongue was slowly lapping at her scoops, but she didn't appear to be concentrating on her ice-cream.
 
Ichigo again dragged his gaze away only to see Uryu following Orihime's gaze. Uryu tried to maintain his aloof façade, but his eyes narrowed. Ichigo permitted himself a small feeling of victory. Orihime was not watching Uryu, she was watching him. Ichigo looked at Orihime and was surprised to see she had flushed deeply and again had her eyes closed. Determined to distract himself from wondering what has caused the blush, Ichigo looked at his watch.
 
“Maybe we should try to find Rukia,” he suggested.
 
“I think they went over there,” Orihime said hesitantly pointing in a northerly direction.
 
“I believe you are correct, Orihime,” Uryu concurred.
 
Ichigo started walking in the direction indicated still eating his ice-cream. Orihime walked beside him, eating hers.
 
“It's very crowded, Ichigo. Do you think we will have trouble finding them,” Orihime asked.
 
“Uryu can always sense their reiatsu,” Ichigo said.
 
“That is why I agreed with Orihime,” said Uryu. “Rukia's reiatsu seems to be fluctuating more than normal.”
 
Ichigo smiled. He had an idea what was causing the fluctuation. They finished their ice-creams as they walked.
 
Passing the majority of the crowd they came to the fire stairs.
 
“The fire stairs?” Ichigo wondered aloud.
 
“I think they are actually in the fire stairs,” Uryu said. “Don't they realise that constitutes a breach in regulations? I imagine the door is not connected to an alarm, or the alarm would have triggered and the building would have been evacuated,” Uryu commented.
 
Opening the door Ichigo saw the sight he expected. Renji was kissing Rukia, his eyes shut and a look of pure enjoyment and pleasure on his face. His arms were tightly wrapped around her and he held her close. Rukia was obviously co-operating. Her face was tilted toward Renji's, her eyes were shut and she seemed to have relaxed completely into Renji's embrace. Her arms were tight around his neck.
 
Uryu cleared his throat, with what sounded like a touch of anger. Rukia slowly opened her eyes and drew her mouth from Renji's. Seeing the three teens staring at her, her eyes widened.
 
“Why did you stop kissing me, Rukia? We don't have a lot of time before we have to…Oh,” Renji said as he turned in the direction Rukia was looking. Reluctantly he released his embrace of Rukia slightly. “You found us,” he said. “That was fast.”
 
“It's three-quarters of an hour since you left together,” Uryu replied dryly. “It is a good thing I did not agree to your suggestion to accompany you, Rukia. I would obviously have been in the way.”
 
“Um, yeah,” Rukia mumbled, not looking at Uryu.
 
“Do you know how many regulations you have broken by using the fire stairs in an improper manner?” Uryu continued.
 
“We needed some privacy and I was playing with fire. I thought…Ouch,” said Renji as Rukia jabbed him hard in the stomach.
 
Ichigo tried to suppress a laugh, Uryu looked sour and Orihime hid her smile behind her hand.
 
“I became a little distracted,” Rukia said.
 
“I can see that,” Ichigo teased.
 
“Maybe we should go for a walk by the river,” Rukia suggested shame-faced. “That's the final thing I had planned.”
 
“I would like that,” Orihime said. “I like watching the water flow past and the sound it makes. Sometimes you can even see fish.”
 
Once they had exited the fire stairs, Uryu made certain that the door was firmly shut behind them. “We do not wish to cause any unnecessary emergencies,” he explained pointedly.
 
Renji shrugged, grinning. He seemed to enjoy Uryu's discomfiture and disappointment. He had his arm around Rukia and had pulled her close enough to make it slightly difficult for them to walk. Rukia pulled herself slightly away from Renji.
 
“I don't want to trip over your big feet,” she said quietly to Renji.
 
“Losing your edge, Rukia? Once, you never worried about tripping.”
 
“You were holding me too close,” she complained poking him.
 
“I can never hold you too close. Too close is too far away,” Renji said.
 
“Could you eschew the nauseating comments?” Uryu asked, piqued.
 
They walked quickly; avoiding the throng of shoppers as much as possible as they finally left the shopping area and began to walk along the street that led to the river. Rukia and Renji again followed slowly behind.
 
Ichigo smiled as he recaptured Orihime's hand. It seemed more normal to walk hand in hand with her. He glanced across at her to see her trying gently to avoid Uryu's attempt to take her other hand. Ichigo stopped, released Orihime's hand and confronted his rival.
 
“Orihime doesn't want to hold your hand,” he stated, realising how silly the words sounded.
 
“Oh? I was unaware that you possessed psychic abilities and could speak for other people,” Uryu said.
 
Rukia and Renji caught up with them and stopped to watch the argument.
 
“She was already holding my hand. Why would she want to hold your hand?” Ichigo asked.
 
“Orihime is a kind and considerate soul. She would not wish to publicly humiliate you by rebuffing your unwanted advances. Having observed her reaction, I consider that she was obviously uncomfortable at your proximity and the clutch you had on her hand. You must consider her delicate nature,” Uryu responded.
 
Orihime looked from Uryu to Ichigo, embarrassed and unhappy.
 
“I'll hold hands with both of you, if that will stop the argument,” Orihime offered reluctantly.
 
“You are too obliging, Orihime,” Rukia said. “That won't solve anything. Before these two morons start a physical fight, I think you should decide. It is obvious both these idiots are interested in you. Choose one, or neither.”
 
Orihime looked at the ground and bit her lip, then glanced from Ichigo to Uryu.
 
“I don't think that is fair, Rukia. If I choose one, I will hurt the other,” Orihime said in a small voice.
 
“And if you choose neither, you will hurt both of them,” Rukia explained.
 
“I don't want to hurt anyone,” Orihime said, her hands flying to her cheeks which had turned a bright red.
 
“Orihime, I know what your choice will be. You know where your heart lies. I think even Renji knows your preference,” Rukia said kindly.
 
Renji nodded his head. “Yeah.”
 
Uryu's face was stony.
 
“But if I say anything, the outing will be over,” Orihime whispered, sadly. “I've enjoyed the company of each of you today. I was hoping we could spend more time together.
 
“Choose,” Uryu said with authority.
 
“Why should she choose now?” Ichigo asked, affected by the obvious distress of Orihime. “Let's just walk by the river and forget all this emotional stuff. It's a nice day to walk by the river.”
 
Orihime gave him a sad but grateful smile.
 
“Okay,” Rukia said.
 
“You are not permitted to hold Orihime's hand,” Uryu demanded.
 
“Neither can you,” Ichigo replied.
 
“Let's get this walk over with,” Renji said. “Teenagers! Hell, I'm glad I never have to go through that again,” he hugged Rukia closely.
 
“I think you are displaying many of the emotional responses of a hormonal teenager,” Uryu observed.
 
Renji bristled. “What do you mean by that?” he demanded.
 
Uryu smiled sardonically. “You do not seem to possess the ability to remove your hands from Rukia's person for any length of time. You are extremely argumentative and opinionated.”
 
“This from Mr Opinionated,” Rukia said under her breath.
 
As Uryu responded negatively to Rukia's observation, Ichigo smiled gently at Orihime. He might not be able to hold her hand, but he could still talk to her, appreciate her. Maybe he could walk her home, but not through the park.
 
 
End Part Two: The Date
 
Author's note:
 
Next chapter: Will this date finally end? Will Ichigo have to spend more money? Will Uryu relax? Can Renji keep his hands off Rukia? Will Ichigo push Uryu into the river? Will Orihime state her preference? Will Urahara withhold the security deposit on the gigai, for unnecessary wear and tear?
 
The next chapter will reveal all, or some, or none.
 
Please review.
 
MS