Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ The Date: Part Three ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
 
The Date: Part Three
 
Uryu and Rukia were still arguing.
 
“If I am opinionated, at least my opinions arise from knowledge and understanding. I weigh matters carefully and I am not prone to rash decision. It is now obvious to me that rash decisions can only lead to conflict, as this date proves. I should have taken more time to consider all the facts before agreeing to attend this date,” Uryu said looking down at Rukia.
 
“I appreciate that you came on this date at my request, and I know things haven't worked out the way you wanted, but do you have to spoil everyone's fun?” Rukia asked. She was trying to be polite, but her voice had an edge to it.
 
“I'm not spoiling anything. I'm just making reasonable requests and pertinent observations. You were meant to be my date today, Rukia,” Uryu replied.
 
Rukia stared at Uryu, her mouth open. “You keep harping on about that. It was just as friends, nothing else. I wanted to make certain that Ichigo didn't make too many mistakes. The date wasn't his idea. He didn't want…” Rukia realised what she was about to say and closed her mouth with a snap.
 
“No. This date was not his idea. I'm interested in the rest of the statement you were about to make. I will try to complete the statement. He didn't want to date Orihime. He didn't want to go on a date, specifically with her. Is that what you were going to say?” Uryu asked. He smirked at Rukia.
 
Rukia glared at him. “Why is it important to you? Are you using this in order to persuade Orihime that you're the better choice? That may be good tactics, but the execution is flawed.”
 
Renji got between Rukia and Uryu. “You have a lot to say for a kid,” he said to Uryu. “If you've decided to come to the river, why don't you make life a little easier and keep your mouth shut. Otherwise you might find yourself in the river, rather than looking at it.”
 
Ignoring the continuing argument, Ichigo quickly looked at Orihime. She'd gone pale. Ichigo grabbed both her hands in his, including the packages she was carrying. “You know the date wasn't my idea,” Ichigo said earnestly.
 
Orihime nodded.
 
“Does it matter whose idea it was? I'm really pleased I came on this date with you,” Ichigo said.
 
“Is Uryu right?” Orihime asked quietly.
 
“It doesn't matter. That's the past, this is the present,” Ichigo said.
 
Orihime nodded, looking into Ichigo's eyes. He smiled at her and she returned his smile, happily.
 
“I thought we agreed that you would not hold Orihime's hand,” Uryu remarked behind Ichigo.
 
“You told me I couldn't hold Orihime's hand,” Ichigo said. “I didn't agree that I wouldn't hold her hand. I agreed that you wouldn't hold her hand. I thought you were busy arguing with Rukia and Renji.”
 
Uryu looked at Ichigo, the sunlight reflecting off the lenses of his glasses. “I tired of the threats of physical violence and removed myself from their vicinity. Besides, Renji is intent on embracing Rukia again. I find the observation of other people's passion tedious. Now, please release Orihime.”
 
Ichigo glanced toward Rukia and Renji. Renji had wrapped both arms around Rukia and was whispering in her ear. She was nodding and looking slightly embarrassed by what he was saying.
 
Reluctantly, Ichigo released Orihime's hands. “Are you two coming to the river, or do you want to stay here?” he called to Rukia and Renji.
 
“We'll come with you. I want to see this river,” Renji said, looking at Uryu, meditatively.
 
Ichigo wondered if Uryu would end up in the river. Then he changed his mind. He wondered how soon Uryu would end up in the river. Renji seemed very displeased with the Quincy.
 
Walking along the street, Ichigo tried to remain as close to Orihime as possible. Uryu was talking to her about sewing. It was obvious that Uryu was trying to monopolise the conversation and exclude Ichigo as much as possible.
 
Ichigo was torn. He wanted the date to be over, so Uryu would go away, but he wanted to spend more time with Orihime. Maybe if he got a few minutes alone with her, he could ask her for another date. It seemed only reasonable. Next time he was not agreeing to any double dates, or allowing gooseberries to spoil things. If he had another date with Orihime, he could hold her hand whenever he wanted, as long as she didn't mind. Maybe he could find some fire stairs and... Images started flowing through his mind. Ichigo quickly thought of something else.
 
When he had another date with Orihime, he would keep it a secret from Rukia. He didn't want her to interfere. She'd probably want to advise him about everything and plan the date for him. She might even decide to watch from a distance.
 
While he had been distracted by his thoughts, he had not noticed they'd arrived at the river. He looked at the water streaming past. The sunlight reflected off the water, obscuring anything that might lie beneath. He liked listening to the gentle sound of the moving water.
 
“So this is the river? It's smaller than I thought it would be,” Renji remarked as he surveyed the river. “I'm sure it serves it purpose.”
 
“It's the size it should be,” Uryu said his irritation showing as he pushed his spectacles further up his nose. “I didn't know there was a required size for rivers, or are the rivers in Soul Society more impressive? If the river is not to your taste, why don't you return to Soul Society, now? No one asked you to attend this date.”
 
Renji tensed, flushing with anger. Rukia caught his arm just before he punched Uryu.
 
“I see you still react too quickly to insults. Remember, fighting caused you to end up in 11th Division. Fighting here, against a child, might mean you end up in a police cell,” she said quickly.
 
“A child,” Uryu burst out. “I am no child. I am insulted to be referred to in such a manner. You did not seem to consider me a child when you asked me on this date.”
 
“I asked you as a friend, but I think that was a mistake. Maybe it's time to say the date is officially over,” Rukia sighed, looking longingly at Renji.
 
Renji gazed at Rukia, a frown creasing his forehead. He shook his head slightly.
 
Orihime's face fell. “So soon?” she said. “I thought we would stay by the river for a little longer, maybe lie on the grass and look at the clouds.” She thought for a moment and then seemed to come to a decision. Hesitantly she said, “Uryu, could you do me a favour, please?”
 
Ichigo looked at Orihime. What was she going to ask Uryu? Dragging his eyes from her face, Ichigo looked at a smirking Uryu. He wanted to punch him now. Maybe if Renji and he took Uryu for a little walk, they could wipe the smirk from his face together; but that would upset Orihime.
 
“I'm sure I can oblige you, Orihime. What is your request?” Uryu asked.
 
“Could you, um, would you, er. Oh, I don't know how to say this?” Orihime said looking very uncomfortable and wringing her hands.
 
“Please ask, Orihime. How could I take any offence to a request from you?” Uryu said gently.
 
“Would you be as nice to everyone else, as you are to me,” Orihime burst out. She then blushed and covered her mouth with her hands, her eyes wide with shock at her request.
 
Uryu flushed an ugly red and for a moment looked annoyed. The annoyance passed and was replaced by an expression that almost seemed amused.
 
“I will be “nice to everyone”, if you agree to accompany me to a meal and a movie in the next week,” he stated firmly.
 
Ichigo felt his hands clench into fists at the request. Orihime blushed redder and looked even more uncomfortable. Renji raised his eyebrows and Rukia looked at Uryu, worried. Everyone was quiet.
 
“Your answer, please Orihime,” Uryu requested.
 
“Do you mean a date?” Orihime squeaked.
 
“If you wish to give it a designation, then yes, a date,” Uryu said looking hard at Orihime.
 
Rukia whispered in Renji's ear. He nodded.
 
“A date with you?” Orihime's voice squeaked even higher.
 
“Yes. A date with me,” Uryu said, sounding a little annoyed.
 
Ichigo was desperately trying to control his anger. His knuckles were white, as his nails bit into the palms of his clenched fists. He wanted to punch Uryu so much that he was biting his tongue to try and gain some control.
 
Rukia sidled up to Ichigo. “Breathe deeply,” Rukia whispered in his ear. “Uryu is trying to upset you. I have an idea.”
 
“Renji and I will double with you and Uryu. I'll make sure that we kill enough hollows to pay for the gigai, so we won't have money worries,” she suggested to Orihime. “I'm sure I can arrive at some arrangement with Urahara,” Rukia said grimly. “He still owes me for that defective mod soul, Kon.”
 
“Oh, thanks. That would be perfect,” Orihime said gratefully.
 
“That was not the bargain,” Uryu protested. “I don't want a double date.”
 
“We could make it a triple date, if you'd prefer,” Rukia suggested innocently. “You could ask Tatsuki along as your date, couldn't you, Ichigo?”
 
Ichigo looked at Rukia, shocked by her suggestion. He didn't want to go on another double date, let alone a triple date. She'd promised him earlier she wouldn't force him on any more dates. Then he realised what she was really suggesting. “Road train Rukia strikes again,” he thought. “Uryu won't object because he knows how close Tatsuki and Orihime are. If he does object, Orihime will be hurt because it will appear he doesn't like her friend.”
 
“Yeah, why not? It might be fun. You'd like that, wouldn't you Orihime? Tatsuki would make a date even more fun,” Ichigo winked slightly at Orihime.
 
Until then, Orihime had been looking a little confused at the discussion of a triple date, and possibly a little upset. Her face cleared at Ichigo's wink. “That would be great. Tatsuki is such a great friend and she's known you for so long, Ichigo. I think that is a wonderful idea.”
 
Uryu's face had turned red then paled. His eyes looked slightly glazed. It was obvious he was not accustomed to being forced into this type of position. He was shaking his head slightly, in disbelief at how his suggestion had been changed beyond all recognition.
 
“I could ask Chad and Keigo along,” Ichigo said, enjoying Uryu's discomfiture.
 
“What, together?” Rukia asked.
 
“No. But I'm sure they could find dates. Chad could ask Keigo's sister and Keigo could ask….That might be a problem,” Ichigo replied, smiling at Rukia.
 
Uryu shuddered. “No, please don't,” he said. “Orihime, are you sure you wouldn't prefer the date to consist of just you and I?”
 
“But it's so much fun with other people,” Orihime said disingenuously. “I've enjoyed this date because it was so nice to talk to different people. It will give Rukia and Renji another excuse to be together. I think it's a wonderful idea. Yes, Uryu, I will go on the date with you.”
 
Uryu shut his eyes in disbelief. “I knew I should have asked you when we were alone,” he murmured. “Yet another example of the foolishness of rash decisions.”
 
“When will this date be?” Orihime asked.
 
“How about Wednesday?” Rukia suggested, looking at Renji.
 
Renji nodded slightly.
 
“I'll tell Tatsuki about it tonight, oh, unless you wish to ask her, Ichigo?” Orihime suggested.
 
“You tell her about it. Tell her all about it,” Ichigo said with a meaningful look at Orihime.
 
She nodded, smiling at Ichigo.
 
“Wednesday evening, then,” Uryu sighed. We'll meet at 6.30, in the same place we met today. I have the choice of movie and who sits next to whom.”
 
“You get the choice of movie,” Ichigo agreed, “but nothing else. Orihime, would you choose the restaurant? Nothing too special, but not fast food.”
 
Orihime smiled her agreement.
 
“I'll decide on the seating arrangement,” Renji said grimly. He was staring at Uryu with a certain glint in his eyes. “You will not be sitting next to Rukia.”
 
Uryu's mouth thinned at the last comment. “Why do you think I'd want to sit next to someone with such questionable taste in her male companions,” he sneered.
 
“That's it Rukia. I know I promised I wouldn't, but I'm going to throw that Quincy in the river. He's been sniping at me all day and I'm fed up,” Renji said moving toward Uryu.
 
“Uryu, you said you would be nice to everyone if I agreed to date you,” Orihime said, her face creased with sadness.
 
She moved between Renji and Uryu. “Please give him a chance. I'm sure he will apologise,” she said to Renji.
 
“I apologise,” the words emerged from Uryu, who was taught with anger.
 
“I don't accept your apology, Quincy.”
 
“Why should I apologise to you?” Uryu said angrily. “You should be apologising to me.”
 
“And why would I want to do that? I haven't been a pain in the…” Renji began.
 
“Maybe we should return the gigai, now,” Rukia broke in, looking at her watch. “Urahara said he was closing early today and I don't want to give him any excuse to keep the security deposit. We'll probably need to keep the money for Wednesday.”
 
Orihime brightened at the interruption. “That is a good idea, Rukia.”
 
Ichigo nodded. If they stayed here much longer either Renji or he might not only throw Uryu in the river, but then hold his head under the water. The guy was being so irritating, and he'd dared to ask Orihime for a date! Damn him. Now Ichigo would have to wait for the right opportunity to request a date with her. Maybe he could influence matters so that in reality Tatsuki ended up as Uryu's date and he could be dating Orihime. No, that would be wrong. But then Uryu had been taking advantage of every possible situation all through the date. Ichigo decided he should also take advantage of the circumstances.
 
Uryu sighed. “Yes. I would like to see the return of my money. I hope you haven't done anything to the rental which will prejudice the shopkeeper to withhold the deposit. I hope he doesn't inspect the mouth and tongue and charge for overuse.”
 
Rukia again placed a restraining hand on Renji. Orihime looked at Uryu, shocked.
 
“That wasn't very nice, Uryu,” Ichigo said. “I thought you had agreed to be pleasant to all of us in return for the date with Orihime. It seems to me that you are not keeping your word, which would make the bargain null and void.”
 
Uryu curled his lip at Ichigo. “I was merely stating a fact, Ichigo.”
 
“I think we should go, now,” Rukia said.
 
They began walking to Urahara's shop, Rukia and Renji holding hands and Orihime walking between Ichigo and Uryu.
 
Ichigo noticed that Uryu was frowning. He did not seem pleased by the situation. Ichigo resolved to make certain that Orihime and Uryu were not alone at any point during the next date. He'd ask Tatsuki to help. If only he could make certain that Uryu did not manage to persuade Orihime to go on another date. He turned around to see Rukia and Renji kissing again.
 
“Oi. You two. We're supposed to be returning the gigai,” he yelled.
 
“You're no fun, kid,” Renji said.
 
“If I can't have fun, I don't see why anyone else should,” Ichigo muttered.
 
Orihime looked at him, a little surprised. “I didn't mean it like that,” Ichigo said feeling foolish. I'm just a little jealous,” he confided quietly.
 
Orihime looked confused for a moment and then her skin coloured. Looking at the ground she began to walk closer to Ichigo. Uryu noticed and started to talk to Orihime about sewing again. Ichigo resigned himself to being left out of the conversation, but Orihime addressed him.
 
“Do you belong to any clubs at school, Ichigo?”
 
“There's no club for fighting, so I doubt it,” Uryu said sardonically.
 
“I don't have time for clubs,” Ichigo said.
 
“Oh,” Orihime replied.
 
Rukia and Renji finally caught up with the other three.
 
“We're there. We're at the shop already,” Rukia said, the sadness evident in her voice.
 
“I have to go soon,” Renji told her gently.
 
“Not soon enough,” muttered Uryu, very quietly.
 
“You will be back, won't you?” Rukia asked Renji.
 
“As long as no one finds out I was here today. It should be fine. I'll see you on Wednesday,” he assured her.
 
She touched his cheek gently with her hand. “I missed you,” she said.
 
Renji took her hand and kissed her palm. “I know. Meet me here at 6.00.”
 
“Enough!” Uryu said. “Must you behave so indecorously?”
 
Renji ignored his comments and kissed Rukia lingeringly. Ichigo looked at Orihime, too embarrassed to watch. He noticed Orihime was watching but then she turned to look at him. Noticing his gaze she coloured again.
 
“Here to return the gigai. That's good. When you finish with Rukia maybe I can get a kiss,” Urahara said.
 
Ichigo almost laughed at the reaction of Renji to the comment. He broke from the kiss and turned to the shopkeeper, indignantly. He had turned red with anger and his eyes blazed.
 
“Don't even joke about it, old man. Rukia won't be kissing you,” he said threateningly.
 
Urahara hid his smile behind his fan. “Who said I wanted to kiss Rukia?” he said archly looking at Renji steadily.
 
Renji looked at him, his mouth open. “What? Who? What?” he spluttered. “Are you looking at me? You don't want me to…”
 
“I was thinking of the other young lady,” Urahara said fluttering his fan and looking at Orihime. The hat shaded his eyes, hiding their expression.
 
“Not going to happen,” said Ichigo.
 
“Um, I don't know,” Orihime stuttered looking around as if trying to find a place to hide.
 
“The age difference is too great. I believe you may be considered a pervert if you persist in this joke,” Uryu said.
 
“Would I joke about something like that,” Urahara said, sounding shocked at the accusation. He pressed one hand flat to his chest as if hurt at the comment.
 
“Of course you would,” Rukia said, flipping the hat off Urahara's head. “Stop teasing everyone. You know, it might get you into trouble one day?”
 
“One day, every day. It matters little,” Urahara said, picking up his hat. “I hope you haven't caused too much wear and tear to the gigai.”
 
“We want it again on Wednesday,” Rukia informed him.
 
“Ah, repeat business. I may give you a special discount.”
 
“You will give me a very special discount. You still owe me for Kon,” Rukia said.
 
“But you refused to return him. As you refused to return the defective goods, I owe you nothing,” Urahara reasoned.
 
“I'll take my business elsewhere,” Rukia threatened.
 
Urahara burst out laughing. “Take your business elsewhere? Where?”
 
“Mail order,” Rukia said. “I have the catalogue from your competitors. Their prices are better than yours.”
 
Urahara blanched slightly. “Okay, a special deal.”
 
“First, could we deal with the matter of the return of the security deposit?” Uryu asked.
 
“Come with me Mr Abari,” Urahara said, leading the way into the shop. “Let's check if the gigai is worth the return of the full deposit.”
 
“Rukia, can you come too?” Renji hissed. “I don't want to be alone with this guy.”
 
Rukia nodded and followed.
 
“Are you okay, Orihime,” Ichigo asked the blushing girl.
 
“I wouldn't have kissed him,” she said.
 
“Of course you would not have kissed him,” Uryu said. “I would have prevented his disgusting mouth from touching your innocent lips.”
 
“He's a strange man,” Orihime said. “I've never been to this shop before. I didn't know it existed.”
 
“I wonder what other things he sells,” Ichigo mused.
 
“Probably goods that would not interest someone who possesses Orihime's sweet nature,” Uryu commented. “I hope he refunds the deposit in full.”
 
Ichigo smiled to himself. Uryu had made a mistake. First complimenting Orihime and then worrying about money. The suggestion of a grasping nature would not make a good impression.
 
“I want to look in the shop,” Orihime said unexpectedly.
 
“I'll come with you,” Ichigo said. He had been feeling slightly curious as to the type of items that the shop might stock.
 
Uryu looked at them both, suspiciously. “I will accompany you, Orihime. I hope there is nothing that might shock you. Let me ascertain that there is nothing there that should not be seen by your pure eyes.” Uryu entered the shop before either Ichigo or Orihime could respond.
 
The florid compliments were making Ichigo smile. Surely Orihime could not fall for all these vapid words. He took the opportunity, while Uryu was in the shop, to turn to Orihime. “May I walk you home, after the date?” he asked.
 
Orihime nodded. “I'd like that, Ichigo.”
 
Uryu appeared at the door of the shop and looked at Ichigo suspiciously. “I think it's relatively safe for you to view the merchandise, Orihime.”
 
Orihime and Ichigo went into the shop. Orihime became fascinated with the display of sweets. “I haven't tried some of these. In fact I've never heard of some of them.”
 
“Don't touch the Soul Candy,” Ichigo advised. “That's dangerous.”
 
As Orihime wondered aloud at some of the sweets on display, Ichigo wandered over to the counter that offered polishes and other treatments for zanpaku-to's. “I wonder if he gets much business for this stuff,” he thought idly. “Do I need polish? Skin moisturiser for the Shinigami on the go? Skin moisturiser? For a soul? I must ask Rukia about that one. Styptic. That would be a good idea for when I get cut in battle. Maybe I should get some.”
 
With a start, Ichigo noted that Uryu had moved close to Orihime and was murmuring quietly to her. Ichigo wandered near and heard him trying to persuade Orihime to a further date, the following weekend. Orihime was looking nervous.
 
“Maybe you should wait until after the date on Wednesday before you make any further plans,” Ichigo suggested.
 
Uryu, startled, spun around at the interruption. “This is a private conversation. I would ask that you not interrupt.”
 
“I think I will wait until after the date on Wednesday”, Orihime said very quietly. “I think I may have to study next weekend, as we will soon be having tests.”
 
“Uryu's mouth thinned as he glowered at Ichigo. “I think we may need to talk, Shinigami.”
 
“Later, Quincy. Much later,” Ichigo replied, returning the glower.
 
Urahara, Rukia and Renji, now in spirit form, emerged from the interior of the shop.
 
“Not too bad,” Urahara said. “Not perfect condition, but there are no noticeable breaks or contusions on the skin. As there will be repeat business for this particular gigai, I will refund the full amount of the security deposit.”
 
He opened the register and handed the money to Rukia who quickly distributed it. Uryu breathed a sigh of relief and Orihime beamed.
 
“Thank you, Mr Urahara,” she said happily.
 
“Had second thoughts about that kiss?” Urahara said hurriedly.
 
Rukia took his fan and hit him with it. “I told you not to try that again,” she said. “Next time there may be pain.”
 
Urahara turned and smiled broadly at her. “I'd like to see you try,” he said leering suggestively. “Pain from you might be pleasurable.”
 
“She won't be touching you,” Renji said to Urahara.
 
“We agreed that the price for the security deposit will be a half of today's” didn't we?” Rukia said pointedly, ignoring his leer.
 
“You drive a hard bargain, but yes. You said you wished to earn the money from the bounty of killing hollows. That will make you busy for the next few nights, won't it?” Urahara commented.
 
“Perhaps,” Rukia said thoughtfully.
 
Ichigo suddenly realised something. Rukia had promised him the money from the next two hollow kills. How many hollows would he have to kill before Wednesday to meet the debt? He groaned slightly as he thought of the sleep he would miss.
 
“I hate to rush you, but I would like to close the shop now,” Urahara said politely.
 
Orihime quickly opened her mouth. “I hoped to buy some sweets,” she said tentatively.
 
“Certainly, certainly,” Urahara said quickly. “Let me serve you.”
 
As Orihime made her selection, Ichigo covertly watched Rukia and Renji bid each other farewell. The kiss was protracted. Renji whispered one final thing to Rukia and left. Rukia looked despondent for a few minutes, but then shook herself and resumed her normal persona.
 
Orihime completed her purchases and they left the shop.
 
“See you tomorrow, Uryu,” Ichigo said once they were outside, hoping that he would take the hint and leave.
 
“I had expected to escort Orihime home,” Uryu said.
 
Ichigo heard a grinding sound and realised he was making the noise as he ground his teeth together.
 
“Um, I want to walk home by myself,” Orihime said quickly.
 
Uryu looked at her quizzically. “Are you sure? Do you think you will be safe?”
 
“Yes. I'll be fine. See you tomorrow, Ichigo, Rukia, Uryu,” Orihime said quickly and walked around the corner. Uryu started to follow her.
 
“I thought you lived in the opposite direction, Uryu,” Rukia said dryly.
 
He coloured and replied,” Oh, yes,” as he quickly changed direction.
 
Rukia and Ichigo waited. Uryu walked a few steps, turned and noticed that they were watching him. He shrugged and continued walking.
 
“Go on, Ichigo, quickly and you might catch up with her,” Rukia said urgently.
 
“You'll be okay?” Ichigo asked.
 
“Of course, idiot. Get moving before Uryu decides to walk back this way, having conveniently forgotten something,” Rukia said.
 
Ichigo ran in the direction he'd seen Orihime take. Maybe this walk home would have a better result than the last one.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Author's note:
In the last chapter I mentioned that the second flavour of ice-cream chosen for Uryu was gooseberry. In some countries, a gooseberry is a term for an unwanted third party, in this case Uryu.
 
Another date? How did that happen? Why didn't any of the characters ask my opinion about whether they have another date? Does that mean I have to write more chapters?
 
It appears that this story may continue for a little while longer.
 
Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please review. Special thanks to BeserkRonin for reviewing the last chapter. I'm pleased to hear you like this story.
 
Next chapter: Will Ichigo walk Orihime home? Will Renji turn up for the next date? How many hollows will Ichigo have to kill? What purchases will Ichigo make at Urahara's shop? Will Tatsuki agree to attend the date? Who will sit next to Rukia in the cinema? Who will punch Uryu first?
 
MS