Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ Stepping Out ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
Before we begin, I would just like to have a quick word with the characters in this story. Ichigo, Orihime, Uryu, whoever: let me spell it out for you. No more dates. Do you comprehend? I decide what will happen in this story, or I thought it was my job. I agreed to write about one date. Now I have to write three. Don't look at me like that, Ichigo. You are responsible for one of them. No, your zanpaku-to doesn't scare me, much, so put it away. No one is to ask anyone else on a date in this chapter. Is that clear? I do include you, Uryu. Stop trying to look innocent. No Kon, you can't have a date, either. No, I do not want to date you. Do you think I'm desperate? You caused this whole problem. No more dates. Why do I have no control over the characters? Mumble, mumble.
 
Stepping Out
 
The day of the triple date dawned wet and cold. Ichigo was unsure if this was a good or bad omen. Once this date was over, his days of attending double, triple or any multiple dates were ended. If he wanted to go on a date, he would make certain that there were only two people in attendance: himself and his date. At least this date would be much shorter than the one on Sunday.
 
He was tired. He'd spent the last two nights killing hollows to make up the money required to pay for the rental of Renji's gigai. He had agreed to wait for the money from the hollow kills until later, but warned Rukia that she should keep the money for the security deposit available at all times and not spend it. He wasn't sure if she'd heard him, or remembered the conversation.
 
Rukia had attended school on the Monday after the date, but a very different Rukia. There was no trace of Road Train Rukia, as she seemed to be constantly in a dream. She didn't pay attention in class and it was difficult to hold a conversation with her. Ichigo wondered what had passed between Rukia and Renji on the Sunday night. He had his suspicions and he wanted to ask, but he knew Rukia would ignore him, insult him or, most probably, punch him. Mentally he called this new Rukia, Zombie Rukia. He wished the old Rukia would return.
 
The only time Rukia seemed to be fully aware was when Kon was annoying her. For some reason the annoying little mod soul seemed to rouse her from her reverie. For the few minutes it took her to pound him, she seemed to be her normal self. As soon as she had persuaded him to leave her alone she would sit there, with a soulful look on her face. While Zombie Rukia was much easier to share a room with, Ichigo did not like the change. He missed the exchange of insults, the funny stories. Light help him, he even missed her stupid suggestions and crappy drawings.
 
Tatsuki had agreed to the date when Orihime had mentioned it. Ichigo had tried to talk to Orihime about Tatsuki's reaction before the teacher arrived in the classroom.
 
“So, what did she say? Was she pleased? Does she think she's on a date with Uryu or me?” Ichigo's curiosity was me by a bland look from Orihime.
 
“She knows that she's Uryu's date. I'm not telling you anything else. I feel awful that I betrayed her confidence. How did you make Uryu agree?” Orihime wanted her curiosity satisfied also.
 
Ichigo was reluctant to mention his conversation with Uryu. “We had a fight over you.” Realising that Orihime would hate that, he quickly changed it. “I challenged him to a game of cards. I won. The prize was the date with you.” Even as he said the words, Ichigo knew that this was probably the worst excuse anyone had ever devised.
 
“I thought Uryu was good at most games of chance. What did you play?” Orihime was frowning as she tried to believe Ichigo's lie.
 
Trying to think of a game that he could play which Uryu might have less chance of winning took a little time. “Cheat? Yeah, we played cheat.” He hoped that Orihime would not notice the rising inflexion that meant a question.
 
“Cheat? I thought Uryu would be very good at bluffing. Your face tends to give more away. Um, sorry, Ichigo. I didn't mean to say that.” Orihime seemed very contrite at her personal observation.
 
Thinking quickly Ichigo created another lie. “Uryu taps the table when he cheats. I worked that out early on. Does it really matter Orihime? The main thing is you are my date, Rukia is dating Renji and Uryu is dating Tatsuki. No one is being left out. We all have someone to talk to. I don't know how Uryu and Tatsuki will work out, though.”
 
“I'm sorry I asked so many questions.” Orihime was pleating her uniform skirt in her fingers. Her eyes were downcast, watching her hands. Ichigo immediately felt guilty and thought a change of subject might lighten the conversation.
 
“Have you chosen a restaurant?” Hopefully she had and he could praise her instead of making her look so dejected.
 
“There's a family run Italian place near the cinema. I thought we could go there. It's not very expensive. I've booked. They seem very nice.” Orihime's voice was still remorseful.
 
“Thanks Orihime. That's a very good idea. The movie and then the meal.”
 
“I'm sorry Ichigo. We have to have the meal first. They close at 10.00 on Wednesday. I checked with Uryu and Rukia and they didn't mind. Rukia said she would ask you. I told her on Monday.” Orihime looked concerned and worried by Ichigo's possible reaction.
 
“She didn't mention it. It's not a problem, Orihime. Maybe we won't go to the movies after all. It might be nice to just eat together and talk.” As he thought about it, Ichigo decided this was the better choice. After the meal they could break up into their separate couples. Briefly his fevered imagination thought up a number of scenarios. He had to quickly distract himself before he had to place his hands in his pockets.
 
“Is there something wrong with Rukia? She seems different. Sometimes when I talk to her she doesn't seem to hear me. Is she ill?” Looking at Orihime, Ichigo detected a genuine worry for her friend.
 
Ichigo laughed and decided to tell her. “Rukia's in love with Renji.”
 
Orihime's mouth rounded into a small `o'. “I wondered if that was it. They seemed very close on Sunday.”
 
“Close? They were almost joined at the hip, or do I mean lip?” Orihime giggled at Ichigo's feeble attempt at humour.
 
Before she could reply the teacher arrived, late and not very happy. “Car wouldn't start. Had to catch the bus and I'm wet. Anyone says anything out of turn and you can stay after school. Ichigo, stop bothering Orihime and sit down. I hope you will actually try to pay attention today, Rukia. Oh, and Keigo, give me that magazine. You're too young to read it and shouldn't have brought it to school. Yes, I can see the cover from under the books.”
 
Shamefaced Keigo reluctantly took the smutty magazine to the teacher, who placed it in her brief case. “I'm confiscating it. Do not bring that type of filth into the school again.”
 
Keigo returned sullenly to his seat. He slouched down and began to doodle on a piece of paper as the teacher talked. He passed the paper to Ichigo when the teacher wasn't looking. “Bet she reads it herself.”
 
Ichigo shook his head. Keigo always believed everyone was obsessed with sex. He reminded Ichigo of Kon.
 
At lunch time, Keigo started his usual barrage of requests. “Come out with me after school,” he said as he tried to lean on Ichigo. After getting to his feet from the prone position he found himself when Ichigo punched him, Keigo tried to pat him on the shoulder. “Ichigo, we're teenagers. We should be hanging out, not studying. Checking out the ladies. Cruising for chicks.” Ichigo grabbed Keigo's hand and bent it back at the wrist, causing Keigo to swear.
 
“Your offer is feeble. I'm busy this afternoon.” Ichigo didn't want to explain any more.
 
“You're always busy. When are you going to hang out with me? What are you doing this afternoon anyway? Can I come too?” The pleading look in Keigo's eyes did not sway Ichigo.
 
“He's going on a date with Orihime. I'm going on the date and so is Uryu.” Ichigo turned to see Rukia standing there with the now habitual dazed expression.
 
“Rukia. Remember. We agreed not to tell anyone. Snap out of it.” Ichigo was shocked that Rukia had been too bemused to realise what she was saying. The next few minutes were not going to be pleasant. He waited for the expected reaction from his acquaintance.
 
“No. It can't be true. You're going on a date with Orihime! What about me? Why didn't you ask me?” Was the initial reaction from Keigo.
 
“Because you're a male. Ichigo likes girls. I thought you knew that.” Zombie Rukia answered. She was still not thinking.
 
“Rukia, would you shut up? You're making this worse.” Ichigo hoped that this time his words had registered in Rukia's mind. He then addressed the guy who was nearly crying. “Keigo, it's nothing.”
 
“You're going on a date and I wasn't invited. That really hurts me, Ichigo.” Keigo was becoming more upset by the minute.
 
“We thought of asking you, but we couldn't work out if any girl would be prepared to date you.” Rukia spoke again. Ichigo was beginning to wonder is she was doing it deliberately.
 
Keigo flushed an unattractive shade of red. “I can find my own date. Do you think I'm totally unattractive to women?”
 
“Yes.” The single word from Rukia appeared to upset Keigo even further. She was going too far. Ichigo was thinking of trying to gag Rukia.
 
“I'll find my own date. I'm coming on this date with you,” Keigo asserted. He seemed very sure he could get someone to attend.
 
“No. You can't Keigo. You haven't been asked.” Ichigo was trying to think up a good excuse to put Keigo off the idea.
 
“You invited Uryu. I've been your friend longer than he has. I want to come on the date too.”
 
“You can come, if you find a date.” Zombie Rukia spoke again.
 
Ichigo grabbed Rukia by the arm and started walking her far away from Keigo. “Rukia. Wake up. I don't want Keigo to come on the date. Next thing I know you'll be hiring a gigai for Kon and asking him on the date also. What's going on, Rukia? Snap out of it.”
 
“Don't be mean to Rukia, Ichigo. Who's Kon?” Keigo had followed and listened to Ichigo's words with apparent interest. “What time do we meet?”
 
“None of you business. Get lost Keigo. You're not invited.” Ichigo quickly covered Rukia's mouth before she could say anything. Anger flashed in her eyes and she came out of her daze pulling Ichigo's hand from her mouth.
 
“Don't touch me Ichigo. We discussed this before. I'm not interested.”
 
“What? Did you try something with Rukia? Tell me all.” Keigo was palpably excited at the thought.
 
“Don't you have a detention you should be attending, Keigo?” Uryu strolled up to Keigo, looking at him sternly. “You irritated the teacher too many times today. I thought you were supposed to meet her outside the staff room at lunch time.”
 
Without another word, Keigo ran toward the staff room. Relieved, Ichigo watched him leave and then turned to Rukia. “What was going on in your mind, Rukia? We can't let Keigo come on the date. It would be a disaster. He'd try touching someone all the time.” Ichigo shuddered at the thought.
 
“You didn't ask him to accompany us, did you Rukia? If he's coming I will make alternate arrangements.” Uryu had gone white at the thought of Keigo attending the date. “He'd make moronic jokes and cry if we didn't pay him attention.”
 
“Yeah. Even your worst behaviour would be preferable, Uryu.” Ichigo couldn't resist a sly did at the Quincy. Uryu turned an uncompromising look on Ichigo at his comment.
 
“I'm sorry. I've been a little distracted. I didn't realise what I was saying.” Rukia was looking penitent and acting differently again. “I don't think Renji would like Keigo.”
 
“Ah, the sleeper has finally awoken. I'm sure Renji wouldn't like Keigo. What were you thinking?” Though he felt relief that Rukia was back to her normal self, he didn't have to treat her any differently. He didn't want Keigo on the date as well.
 
“Oh, shut up, Ichigo. I was distracted for a while. So what? We'll just have to avoid Keigo this afternoon.” It was obvious that Rukia was grumpy at the turn of events.
 
“That shouldn't be a problem. I arrived at the opportune time because the teacher sent me to find Keigo as he was late. I think your friend may be detained after school.” Uryu smiled thinly. “You may have to be careful leaving your house, in case he decides to follow you.”
 
“I hate sneaking around.” As Ichigo said these words, the bell rang signifying the end of lunch.
 
The rest of the school day passed as normal. Rukia was back to her customary self. Both Road Train Rukia and Zombie Rukia had retreated for the moment, to Ichigo's relief. He could cope with normal Rukia. As soon as school ended Ichigo grabbed Rukia's hand and dragged her out the door before Keigo could annoy them again. He had looked very glum all afternoon and kept passing notes to Ichigo, trying to obtain information about the date. Ichigo ignored them. Keigo had even made the mistake of passing a note to Uryu. Uryu turned and gave the teen a hard and unfriendly look. Keigo subsided under that look and gave up writing notes for a time.
 
As soon as he arrived home, Ichigo quickly did his homework, well most of it. Rukia worked for a little while and then left, obviously eager to meet Renji. After looking at the clock, Ichigo showered quickly and put on some casual clothing. Grabbing all the essential items, he left his room, yelled a `goodbye' to his family and left, making sure that no one was lurking outside.
 
When he arrived at the meeting place, Rukia and Renji were already there, wrapped up in each other and oblivious to him. He tapped Rukia on the shoulder. “Have you seen anyone?”
 
“Oh, hi. No.” Rukia was gazing adoringly at Renji.
 
“I haven't seen anyone either,” Renji said as he touched Rukia's cheek.
 
“Did anyone notice you were gone?” Ichigo was curious. Renji had said he was there without permission. Did he have permission tonight?
 
“Didn't have a problem. Got a friend to say I was with him. Rukia, come back to Soul Society with me. I miss you too much.” Renji was kissing Rukia as soon as he finished speaking.
 
“I see the raging hormones are still active.” Uryu voice held a tang of droll amusement. “Do you think they'll actually manage to prise their mouths apart long enough to eat?”
 
Ichigo grinned at him. “All the more for us if they're busy. Actually it's quite helpful to watch them. They don't listen and I'm interested in the guy's technique. I think Rukia enjoys it.” He turned his eyes back to the kissing couple. “I wonder how long before they come up for air.”
 
“Stop staring, Ichigo. Don't you know it's rude to stare even if people are making a public display of affection?” Tatsuki hit Ichigo on the back of the head. “You could at least say hello to Orihime and me.”
 
Hearing Orihime's name, Ichigo quickly lost interest in Renji and Rukia. His eyes sought the auburn haired girl he admired. “Hello Orihime,” he said taking her by the hand. “Hi, Tatsuki.” The brief greeting was said with little thought as he was too entranced by Orihime's smile.
 
“No hand holding.” Uryu's voice broke into Ichigo's thoughts.
 
“Ur, what? You've got your own date. Leave mine alone.” Ichigo said turning to look at the Quincy. He noticed a smile of Uryu's face.
 
“It amuses me how speedily you react. It's almost too easy to annoy you, Ichigo.”
 
Scowling at Uryu a few seconds relieved Ichigo's mild ire. Turning his attention back to Orihime, he looked attentively at her. “You look very nice tonight, Orihime. “
 
Orihime smiled back. “Thank you Ichigo. You look nice too.” She gazed at him with bright and happy eyes.
 
“Hey Uryu. You don't have any intention of trying to hold my hand, do you?” Tatsuki was already teasing her date.
 
“Not quite now. I think we need two level heads on this date. The other four look like they might get lost if we don't direct them.” Uryu said seriously.
 
“That's good because I would have broken your arm if you tried.” Tatsuki informed Uryu sharply.
 
“Would it be worth a broken arm to hold your hand? I'm not certain. I'll wait until you express a desire to hold my hand and then consider the alternatives.” Uryu was apparently enjoying the exchange with his date.
 
`Who's the guy kissing Rukia? Look at all the tattoos. Is he old enough to have all those?” Tatsuki was obviously curious about the new person who seemed to know Rukia very well.
 
“The person kissing Rukia is named Renji. Rukia met him at her previous school. He's visiting at the moment.” Uryu gave a brief, but not totally correct explanation.
 
“They must be very good friends. Rukia hasn't even said hello to me yet.” Tatsuki was watching the couple with a wry smile on her face. Ichigo hoped she wouldn't try to interrupt. Renji might react badly.
 
Ichigo ignored the further discussion between Uryu and Tatsuki. “Do you know where you want to go next weekend, Orihime? What would you like to do?” He hoped that she had some suggestions.
 
“I haven't really thought about it. Why don't you surprise me?” Orihime looked at Ichigo, her eyes wide and clear. For a moment he wanted to kiss her. He decided that he would prefer their first kiss to be private, not under the mocking eyes of his friends. At the same time Ichigo felt a twinge of dismay at her words. He didn't have any original ideas about what they could do. Maybe if Rukia was her normal self, she might have some suggestions. He'd ask her tomorrow.
 
“Now we're all here, I think we should go inside as soon as possible. I'm still concerned that Keigo might decide that he wishes to join our date.” Uryu's clear voice interrupted all other discussion. “Renji, this is Tatsuki. Tatsuki meet Renji, Rukia's friend.”
 
Renji and Tatsuki nodded to each other, giving each other a measuring glance. Ichigo was uncertain if these two could become friends, but that didn't matter.
 
As they walked to the restaurant Renji asked “What's a Keigo?”
 
“Keigo is an irksome person who attempts to touch or fondle anyone near him. He endeavoured to join the date. We're trying to evade him.” Uryu's response was succinct.
 
Renji made a face at the description. “Has he tried to touch you, Rukia?”
 
“I remember one time when he did. I think he hit the floor two seconds afterward. I had to take him to sick bay.” Ichigo remembered the incident.
 
“If he tries to touch you again, I will kill him.” Renji's face held a look of determination that stunned Ichigo.
 
“He doesn't mean any harm. He'd just an idiot. You don't have to kill him.” Ichigo did not want Keigo killed. It would make him feel bad and he hated attending funerals.
 
“I can take care of myself, Renji.” A spark of anger glittered in Rukia's eye.
 
By this time they had arrived at the restaurant. The impending fight between Rukia and Renji was averted by the waiter fussing over seating them and handing out menus.
 
“I'm hungry,” Ichigo announced. If he made it clear that he was hungry, maybe they would be served quickly.
 
“What's new?” Tatsuki asked not very quietly. She grinned at Ichigo.
 
“Children; behave,” said Uryu amused.
 
“You order for me, Rukia. I have no notion what this food is. You know what I like.” Renji smiled at Rukia suggestively and he caressed the back of her hand.
 
“Could you two just chill for a little while. You're making me feel ill.” Tatsuki said.
 
“I must agree with Tatsuki. It would be polite if you actually engaged in conversation with the rest of us and acknowledged we were here.” Uryu seemed to be bolstered by Tatsuki's observations.
 
Unnoticed by the other's Ichigo was holding Orihime's hand under the table. He enjoyed the feeling of her soft palm against his, the way her fingers curled around his hand. Distractedly he glanced at the menu trying to decide what to eat.
 
“May we have garlic bread?” Orihime asked the question with a trace of hesitation. “I enjoy it so much, especially if there's lots of garlic.”
 
“Only if we order enough for everyone. I like garlic bread.” Tatsuki seemed keen on the idea.
 
“I'd like garlic bread and the Carbonara.” Rukia contributed.
 
“I like that too,” agreed Orihime. “Are you going to order that?” Orihime smiled at Rukia who smiled back and nodded. Ichigo was happy that their friendship had grown.
 
“Why don't we order different things and share?” Ichigo was pleased with his suggestion. That way he could try lots of different things. He really was hungry.
 
“I have to be careful what I eat.” Uryu seemed reluctant to agree to the suggestion.
 
“Why? Are you scared it's going to fight back? Or is it a Quincy thing?” Renji smiled wickedly at Uryu. Ichigo felt a momentary unease. That comment would not go unnoticed.
 
“What's a Quincy? I've never heard of it. Is it a new religion, or something that has restrictions on what you can eat?” Tatsuki looked at Uryu with undisguised interest. Uryu flushed a little at her question and her regard.
 
“Yeah, that's right. It's a very old and very minor religion with weird ideas and strange practices in treating other people who aren't Quincy's.” Ichigo quickly elaborated on the suggestion made by Tatsuki. In many respects it was true enough. While he spoke he observed Rukia whispering fiercely in Renji's ear.
 
“I hope she's explaining that we have to be careful. Orihime knows I'm a shinigami and that Uryu's a Quincy, but I don't think we should let too many other people know. I hope Renji listens to Rukia.” Ichigo thought this while he was speaking to Tatsuki.
 
“You must tell me more about it. I've never heard of the Quincy religion. If it's old there must be books in the library. Maybe I could read about it.” Tatsuki seemed to be very interested.
 
“As Ichigo said, it is very obscure. I doubt you will locate any books that will provide any information about the Quincy's. If you are interested I will explain more about it to you, but now is not the time. I am sure that no one really wants to hear me speak about it again, at present.” Uryu had reddened even further. Ichigo knew it was partly because he was embarrassed at being the focus of attention, especially as he liked Tatsuki and didn't want to lie, but also because he knew that he would have to think of some explanation, eventually.
 
“Yeah. I heard all about the Pride of the Quincy's on Sunday. Don't think I could listen to that drivel again. If you want to find out about it, do it when I'm not around. Okay, Taraki?” Renji obviously did not hold fond memories of his conversation with Uryu.
 
“My name is Tatsuki, Randy.” Tatsuki was obviously not pleased with Renji's attitude and was expressing it.
 
`My name is Renji, or Mr Abarai, girl.” It appeared that Renji was in his normal argumentative mood. Ichigo felt Orihime tense beside him. She didn't like people arguing. At this point, Rukia pulled out her `mobile phone' which was ringing.
 
“Excuse me, I have an urgent call. Renji, could you come with me, please? I think the caller wishes to speak with you. Outside.” For a moment Ichigo was stunned to realise that Rukia was not forcing him to absent himself in order to kill the hollow. Maybe there were some good points in having Renji on the date.
 
Renji looked at Rukia for a few moments as he gradually realised what she was speaking about. “Oh, yeah. Sure. Hey, Ichigo, order for us, will you? I'm hungry too, and I'll probably be hungrier when I finish, um, talking.”
 
Renji and Rukia left quickly. Ichigo decided to return to the problem of working out what they could order. “What can't you eat Uryu?”
 
“It's not what I can't eat. It's what I prefer to eat. I prefer to eat fish and vegetables. There does not appear to be that type of meal featured on the menu.” Uryu was frowning as he looked at the menu.
 
“Why not be wild and eat pasta tonight. You can order pasta with a seafood sauce, or even some fish. They have grilled fish. What's wrong with grilled fish?” Ichigo was becoming a little impatient with Uryu.
 
“Stop quibbling you two. I'll order. I've been here before and know the owners. I recommended this restaurant to Orihime when she asked. I'll make sure there's plenty of food and some fish. Okay?” Looking taller, her confidence evident, Tatsuki beckoned to the waiter without waiting for agreement. They talked for a few minutes as Tatsuki questioned the waiter about the specials and then she placed the order, including the Carbonara and lots of garlic bread.
 
Tatsuki smiled at them when she had finished placing the order. “We're in luck. Dessert and coffee is being included because I'm a friend.” She leaned back, strangely close to Uryu. She noticed her mistake and then moved a little further away from him. “Do you think Rukia and Randy are going to be long? I don't want to wait while the food gets cold.”
 
“I don't think they should be too long. Unless they start kissing again. Oops. I didn't mean to say that. I'm sure they'll be back soon.” Orihime seemed a little flustered by her slip. She picked up her fork and started looking at it with apparent interest.
 
“I think you're right. Tatsuki, try to call him Renji. He's a rather excitable guy and loses his temper quickly. We don't want a fight.” Ichigo hoped Tatsuki would listen to him.
 
“If you say he loses his temper quickly, he must have an even worse one than you. What does Rukia see in him? Is he the reason Rukia was spaced out this week?” Leaning forward, Tatsuki accidentally brushed against Uryu who had reached out for a glass of water which spilt over the table. Incredibly, Tatsuki didn't try to break Uryu in half.
 
“Sorry Uryu. I didn't mean to bump you.” Tatsuki grabbed a handful of serviettes and tried to mop up the table while Uryu dried himself as best he could.
 
“It was an accident. It doesn't matter. My clothes will dry quickly.' Uryu assured Tatsuki.
 
Just as Uryu was accepting Tatsuki's apology, Renji and Rukia returned, a little flushed and perhaps in more disarray than when they left.
 
===============================================================
 
Author's note:
 
Thank you to the people who have reviewed this story.
 
For a scary moment it seemed that Keigo would turn up. That would not have been pleasant.
 
The plan is that there will be 8 chapters in total for this story. Past experience would indicate that there may be more.
 
Next chapter: Will another hollow require killing? Do Tatsuki and Uryu really like each other? Will Tatsuki insist on calling Renji, Randy? Will Uryu be picky about the food? Will Ichigo finally manage to kiss Orihime? (Probably not). All this, or maybe less, in the next installment of a story that was supposed to be three chapters long. (Maybe one day I will control my stories and the characters. One day.)
 
MS