Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ A Little Different ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
 
A Little Different
 
The afternoon dragged by. Even the teacher seemed bored with the subject matter, occasionally yawning as she described some mathematical formula that would never be used by the students once they left school. Her tone was uninterested and Ichigo noticed that she regularly looked at her watch and then at the clock on the wall, checking the time. She yawned once more, covering her mouth and then tiredly rubbed her eyes.
 
“How often will I need to use logarithms in life? What is a logarithm anyway? Did she even explain what it was for before she started, or was I out of the room when she mentioned it?” Struggling hard, he tried concentrate but it wasn't possible, especially as he kept receiving notes from Keigo insisting that he should go to the Aquarium on Sunday. He read the first few and then crumpled up the ones the youth kept sending him, not interested in the reasons presented or the suggestions being made. The bell finally rang and he quickly dodged Keigo and made his way to Orihime's house, not bothering to wait for the others, while hoping if he moved fast enough that he would be able to evade any other hangers on.
 
He arrived before anyone else and had to wait until the others caught up with him while he lurked in a dark area across the street, trying to remain unobserved. It seemed to take forever for the others to turn up. Orihime appeared first, talking to Rukia. Chad followed shortly, with Uryu a few minutes behind. Once Orihime opened the door, Ichigo emerged from the shadows and ran up the steps into her home, not wishing to linger on the street to be seen by any passing pedestrian.
 
The four visitors stood uneasily in the room as Orihime located the cards and handed them to Chad. She began to make tea and Ichigo went to help her, eager for a few seconds private conversation as the others examined the cards. “I'm pleased Keigo didn't follow you,” he said quietly.
 
“He did, but the teacher followed him and insisted he return and clean the mess he left beside his desk, all those paper notes. I think she may have read some of them. Keigo was complaining,” she smiled shyly at Ichigo.
 
“I meant what I said last night. Sunday seems a long time away. Will I pick you up at 10.00 or later?” Ichigo wanted to establish that the date was still taking place. It would be bad if Orihime changed her mind. He watched as a small smile curved her mouth.
 
“I can be ready at 9.00 if you prefer,” was her quiet response.
 
Ichigo had suggested the later start as he liked to sleep in on Sundays. He might be a substitute Shinigami with a weird mod konpaktu and a real Shinigami sleeping in his wardrobe but he liked sleeping in when he had the opportunity. He paused for a minute considering. “9.30?” A compromise was a possible solution.
 
“9.30 is fine. I'll be ready. Don't forget I'll make dinner. Do you want me to pack a lunch as well?” the suggestion was made while Orihime poured the now boiling water into the teapot. She had already arranged some biscuits on a plate and cut some of the cake that was left over from the previous night.
 
“Um, no. We'll eat something at the park. I haven't had a hot dog for a long time and I think they check your bags to make sure you don't take food or drinks inside. They say it's to prevent terrorist acts, but I think it's so they can mark their food prices up even more.” He remembered someone saying that to him once, and it seemed possible, so he mentioned it now.
 
Orihime laughed at the observation. “Oh, I think you're right, about them being strict with food and drink. Do you want me to pay for my entry fee?” As she spoke she removed some American Mustard from the fridge and began to squirt it onto one of the pieces of cake.
 
Ichigo looked at her with some concern. “Are you sure you want to eat that? I thought Tatsuki was joking about the things you eat, though Rukia did mention something once…” his voice trailed away as Orihime took a bite of the cake and ate it rapidly, licking her lips. Ichigo looked away, not ready to believe that someone would choose to eat that strange mixture.
 
“Try some Ichigo. It's really nice,” Orihime spoke and he looked into her sparkling eyes.
 
“Um, no, er, thanks. I don't think… I mean… Arr… My religion prevents it” Ichigo spluttered not really considering what he was saying. “What religion?” he thought. Hastily he gazed around the room seeking anything that he could pretend was a religion but knew he would fail. Orihime was too clever to accept that excuse without explanation.
 
“What religion is that, Ichigo? I don't think it's against any beliefs I can think of,” Orihime was frowning.
 
If only he could think of a way to change the topic before he had to explain, or before Rukia came over and opened her big mouth. The idea of Orihime preparing a meal for him was suddenly less appealing as he realised that Tatsuki had not been exaggerating when she commented on her friend's strange tastes. It gave him an idea. “You don't have to pay your entry fee. I asked you on the date so I'm paying for everything. I've had a better idea: why don't we go out for dinner as well? Or we could eat lunch in the dining room at the park. I hear they do good meals. I'll ring and book a table.” Even as he spoke he saw that she was thrilled at the suggestion.
 
“I'll definitely have to ask Dad for some money as soon as I get home. I've seen the prices they charge at that place but I don't want to eat radish with raspberry jelly, or potato covered with custard, or squid in chocolate sauce, or peas and ice cream. Looking at it would turn my stomach and she'd be hurt if I didn't eat it, and if I did eat it, it might hurt me. She looks so ordinary, beautiful but ordinary so why does she want to eat such weird things? When I get home I'll ask for the money I might even let him hit me if that makes him happy. Why can't he be like normal fathers? Why can't he be like normal anything?”
 
“Do you mean it? But it costs so much and I promised I'd cook dinner for you.” The longing in her voice was unmistakable.
 
“Of course I mean it. I owe it to you for the stupid double and triple dates we went on. If I'd listened to Rukia in the first place it would have been you and me all the time. Just agree and we'll talk about it later when no one else is here.” Ichigo noticed that the other three had spread the cards out on the table and were looking at them.
 
“Okay. We'll talk about it later.”
 
Serving the tea and cake to their friends took a few minutes and as they ate and drank they searched through the cards.
 
“I still can't see a card called The Handsome Shopkeeper,” fretted Rukia. “I know I saw it. Tatsuki showed it to me, and I passed it to Ichigo and Orihime. It was Urahara, well an improved Urahara, but it was him. What were the words, something about old and new love. It was creepy.” She picked up the box and looked inside then turned it upside down, but no additional card fell out.
 
“I recollect that card also. I have detected that a number of other cards are absent and some of the ones that remain have a different significance. The Substitute Saviour is here, but I am sure the words are altered. The Living Ghost has been replaced as have Grave Matters and The Puppet Master. It does not surprise me that Grave Matters is not to be found in the deck as the designation of the card seemed different to the others.” Uryu spoke meditatively as he looked at the cards and sipped his tea.
 
Orihime exclaimed and picked up a card, examining it closely. “The Happy Bunny, but it looks so different, all sweet and cuddly and cute. When we were playing the game it looked, well, threatening. I was a little scared of it, but I didn't want to say so, Rukia, because you like Chappy so much. Most of the cards seem a little different.” She shivered slightly and put down the card. Grabbing the teapot she quickly refilled her cup and sipped hurriedly at the tea as if trying to gain some warmth from it.
 
Until now Ichigo had been too busy filling his face to look at the cards. He was trying to block the memory of Orihime's strange eating habits by eating everything he could. He used this trick often, when he didn't want to think of anything he ate. His father laughed and commented that this was normal teenage behaviour. When the plate was empty he decided to look at the cards.
 
Everything his friends had said was correct. Cards were missing or had changed. He could read the meaning on the bottom of each card and none of the drawings were as clear or bright as they had appeared the previous night. Picking up the box he examined it. The words on the outside had not changed, but the unclothed figure of Clotho that had supposedly resembled Rukia was not detailed enough to look like anyone.
 
“These cards are just cards. It is a strange game and not one I would like to play, but there is nothing very special about them. I wonder if this man, Hat and Clogs you call him, obtained rights from the owners for some of these pictures. It is obvious to me that he has broken a number of copyrights with some of these drawings,” Chad spoke slowly as he turned over some of the cards to examine the back.
 
“That's what I was trying to remember when I played the game last night!” Ichigo exclaimed. “When I saw some of the pictures I almost knew where the picture came from, but I couldn't think of what it was. Hey, could he get into a lot of trouble over this?” `Maybe this might be a lever against the money hungry man,' Ichigo thought hopefully.
 
“It is doubtful whether they would wish to take action if he has only managed to sell the one pack, but then he did unlawfully use their creation. If he went into full distribution and circulated them widely he could be prosecuted,” Uryu smiled thinly. “It might be amusing to remind him of that fact.”
 
Ichigo showed the box to Rukia. “The picture doesn't look much like you now, does it?” Maybe she could show Renji the box to persuade him that his anger had been misplaced.
 
Rukia reluctantly took it and glanced at the picture. “You're right. That could be anyone female, and it's too far away to even see if it is female.” She put the box hastily on the table. “I don't like this.”
 
“What don't you like? Tell me and I will trash it for you,” Renji said, appearing in the room in his Shinigami form. He approached Rukia and embraced her.
 
“Uh, who is that guy? Is he that friend of Rukia's you told me about? Do not answer. I can tell he is otherwise she would not be kissing him so forcefully.” Chad was watching the couple with interest.
 
“Before you ask, yes, they are always like that,” sighed Uryu.
 
The phone rang and Uryu answered it as he was closest. His face brightened as he heard the voice on the other end. “Tatsuki! How pleasant to hear your voice.”
 
The startled gasp that echoed down the phone was audible to the others in the room.
 
“Don't hang up. I wish to offer my humble apologies for last night. I took liberties with your person and I am ashamed of my behaviour. I should not have kissed you, but the circumstances, the game, everything led to my mistake. I trust you can forgive me and permit me to spend some time with you,” Uryu spoke very politely into the phone.
 
Hiding a smile, Ichigo looked at his friends. Rukia was still oblivious to anyone except Renji who was also enraptured by her in turn. Chad looked as if he was trying not to ignore the conversation and the antics of Rukia and Renji, as he placed the cards back in the box, one by one, studying each card before it was replaced. Orihime was listening intently to the conversation. It was her phone and her friend and her interest did not appear odd to Ichigo. He heard a few, muffled words through the receiver and then Uryu said
 
“On Sunday I would be honoured to escort you to the amusement park. It will not be a date; it will be a simple excursion of two classmates who wish to spend some time together.” Uryu was using his most persuasive tone.
 
Hearing those words made Ichigo choke. Blast it! He didn't want anyone he knew in the amusement park on the same day he was dating Orihime. He'd wanted that day for the two of them alone, without any complications, and with some level of privacy, not that there would be much privacy in the place unless they managed to go on some of the dark rides. He'd hoped that they could go on the ghost train a few times, but now it all seemed it would be spoiled. He glanced at Orihime and noticed her face seemed a little disappointed also.
 
“I assure you, I will pay all the expenses to compensate you for your unfortunate experience and my lack of chivalry. If you wish to depart my company at any time, I will feel no slight. I would take delight in your company on that day,” Uryu was smiling slightly as he spoke into the phone.
 
Ichigo touched Orihime gently on the shoulder and she turned to him. He raised his eyebrows at her in a questioning fashion and she raised her shoulders as if she was unsure of the answer. They would have to talk, but now was not the time. Racking his brain for another alternative, nothing presented itself as an option. The amusement park had seemed such a good idea and anything else would be a let down. Could they go on Saturday, after school, or could they cut school and go?
 
“You will go, but only if Orihime and Ichigo also accompany us?” The regret in Uryu's voice was not hidden.
 
“We'll come too. I've always wanted to see one of these amusement parks,” Renji said surprising all of them as he had paid little attention to the rest of the conversation or the other people in the room.
 
The last two comments were the final devastating blow to the hope that Ichigo had irrationally held. The date had been arranged without any consultation. It was going to happen and he feared for his pocket. Rukia would not have any money to pay for the admission, so he would have to pay for both of them. But worse than that was his private date with Orihime was now another triple date.
 
“You better not let Keigo find out,” Chad said. “If I get a date can I come too?”
 
Ichigo looked at him in astonishment. “I thought you had a gig that day. That's what you told Keigo.”
 
The tall student shrugged. “I lied. I do not wish to spend any of my free time in that person's company.”
 
“So, who will you ask as your date?” Orihime voiced the other question Ichigo had wanted to ask.
 
Chad frowned slightly as he thought. “I had thought of Keigo's sister, but she looks so much like him I would feel that I was dating him. Also she would tell him, I am sure. No, I thought I would ask Ryo Kunieda. She has spoken to me and I do not think I scare her.”
 
“Ask Ryo? You've got to be kidding! She'll never go out with you. She's so prim and everything. Try someone else.” Ichigo could not believe that his friend thought he had a hope of obtaining a date with that girl.
 
“Or I could ask your sister, Karin as a friend. I am sure you would not mind if she came, would you?” Chad smiled meaningfully at Ichigo.
 
“Not Karin. Good luck with asking Ryo. You can come, even if you don't get a date,” Ichigo offered. Why was there all this emphasis on dates, anyway?
 
“Yes, Chad. Come anyway. I feel guilty that you were not invited before this,” Orihime said sweetly.
 
Uryu had finished talking to Tatsuki and handed the phone over to Orihime. She immediately moved apart from the group, listening intently to her friend. Ichigo heard her speaking quietly, obviously answering some questions.
 
“Are you attending the date, also Chad? That will be pleasant and put Tatsuki's mind at rest. She is still very disturbed by the events which occurred last night. I assured her that we are preparing to visit the merchant who sold the cards to gain some explanation,” Uryu was still smiling; obviously pleased at obtaining another date with Tatsuki, even though it was another group date.
 
“Yes, I will be there. I think we should visit this person as soon as Orihime had finished talking to her friend. I would be interested in meeting this man.” Chad sounded stern and he finished his neglected cup of tea.
 
Finishing her conversation, Orihime replaced the phone. “I don't know if I should come,” she said hesitatingly.
 
“I'll be there. You don't need to worry, I won't let the guy come within arms length of you,” Ichigo assured her. It sounded manly to him and he smiled slightly to himself.
 
“Don't worry, Orihime. I think The Handsome Shopkeeper might be a little worried about losing his teeth,” Rukia laughed. “I can think of at least four people here who would like an explanation and some retribution.”
 
Renji nodded enthusiastically. “Yeah. It's not his teeth I'm interested in. I want to see if he bleeds red. And I think he should have real panda eyes, instead of the ones that show from under the hat.” His grin was full of malice.
 
They left the apartment, Chad carrying the cards and Ichigo thinking distractedly as to whether he wanted to buy some goods before they beat the guy. He wanted the styptic and maybe he might get the sword polish. The moisturiser? He wasn't sure about that and had not had the opportunity to ask Rukia.
 
Holding hands with Orihime, they walked at the rear of the others, not talking, just quietly listening and watching the others until…
 
Until Uryu quickly motioned them to the darker part of the street. Not understanding what was happening, Ichigo and Orihime ambled across and Uryu urged them deeper into the shadows. “I feel Keigo is near. We should attempt to avoid him. He will be curious and determined to accompany us wherever we go. Is there any way to slip past him?”
 
The smile that crossed Renji's face meant trouble and he looked at Rukia. “I'll give the guy something to think about,” he suggested. “Let me play with him, just a little.”
 
Rukia glanced toward where Keigo could now be seen and slowly nodded. “Nothing too rough though Renji. Persuade him that he might be more relaxed somewhere else,” her eyes sparkled with mischief.
 
No further encouragement was needed. Renji slid close to the young male and flipped him under the nose. He was obviously manipulating his reiatsu as Keigo seemed to feel the pressure. He grabbed his nose and backed away, looking around frantically to see what had touched him. Hs hesitated for a moment and then shrugged, standing irresolutely searching around him. A small piece of paper blew near him, aided by Renji, and Keigo backed away a little further.
 
Stifling a snort, Ichigo watched, wishing he could join in. It looked like fun.
 
A small smile on his face, Renji slithered to the left and placed his foot behind Keigo who promptly fell over, landing squarely on his backside with an exclamation of pain and shock. Gingerly the youth rose to his feet and looked at the ground, trying to identify what had caused his fall. Shaking his head slowly, he bent closer to the ground. The temptation was obviously too great for Renji to oppose and his foot kicked Keigo in the area which had so recently made hard contact with the earth. Yelping, Keigo clutched the affected area and began moving away quickly then stopped.
 
“Ghosts, I know it's ghosts. I'll get Don Kanonji here. I'll be famous if I appear on his show and everyone will know I've found ghosts. You watch out you spooks. You'll be sorry,” he yelled and then encouraged by an invisible poke to his back, began running down the street, far away from the disturbing presence that had tormented him.
 
“That was funny, but poor Keigo,” the words were uttered by Orihime.
 
“For once he seemed to actually notice someone was unhappy with him,” Ichigo muttered wishing he could have joined in the prank. He had more reason than Renji to wish to disturb his peer. Renji had never met the guy but seemed to guess the best way to make him leave.
 
“Hey, that was fun. Got any other friends I can play with? Do all of them squeal quite so much,” Renji was back now, obviously expecting praise.
 
“You've never grown out of slapstick humour, have you Renji,” Rukia observed wryly. She was smiling but seemed uncomfortable at the same time. “Nice as this is, we should get moving. Urahara can be unpredictable about closing times. He can be unpredictable about most things.”
 
Lagging behind the others Ichigo felt he should say something to Orihime about their usurped date. “Do you want to go the amusement park as a group? We promised each other that it would just be us.”
 
“I know, but Tatsuki wants to go out with Uryu again, without anything happening and she's nervous about it after last night. I want her to feel happy about this. Are you disappointed with me, Ichigo?” She continued to walk beside him, but seemed to expect a reproof of some kind. “If you are, I understand, but Tatsuki has been my friend for so long and she's nice to me.”
 
Sighing loudly Ichigo tried to think of an answer. “I want to have a date alone with you. I feel like we're fated to always have our dates changed. I'd ask you for a date tomorrow, but I've got to catch up on my schoolwork. Weird, wasn't it, that we played that dictionary game and had that test today.”
 
“We were told about the test. I think you were out of the room at the time. When you said fated, you don't think this is one of the penalties: never being permitted to go on a date, just the two of us?” The question was asked with a great amount of hesitation in a quietly reluctant voice.
 
Trying to hide his startled reaction, Ichigo tried to think about it. His mind was alive with possibilities, all of them bad. Penalties, he'd tried to forget about the penalties, but it was the main motive for this confrontation, aside from beating Urahara up for creating the game in the first place. “How many penalties were there? Four, no five, but we only know that one of them is not knowing what the other penalties will be. So how do we know when something happens if it's the result of a penalty, or just bad luck. The other dates were more than just the two of us because of me, so this could just be a coincidence. I wonder if Urahara has some pull with those supernatural freaks and can get an explanation from them,” Ichigo looked ahead, attracted by a movement of someone sweeping the ground. “There's the shop now. Will Hat and Clogs help us?”
 
Author's Note:
 
Hehehe. The anticipated date has now become something else. Poor Ichigo and Orihime. Will they ever manage to spend some time alone without misunderstandings, washing up and studying getting in the way? Will they ever manage to go on a date without someone else hijacking it?
 
The suggestions I've made for the weird food combinations I haven't tried…. Well, okay. I've eaten peas and ice cream. Yes, green peas (the vegetable) and vanilla ice cream. I don't recommend it and I've never felt the same way about vanilla ice cream.
 
Aaah, sweet romance. If I decided to allow Keigo to attend a date, who could I match him with? The only idea I had was trying to match him up with Chizuru, but I found it rather creepy. Maybe one day I might write it, when I can face the idea without shuddering and gagging.
 
Next chapter: Will they actually manage to arrive at the shop? Will Keigo find Don Kanonji? What will Urahara's explanation be? Will the shop be open? Will Ichigo ask Orihime for another date and will she accept? As he's running out of ideas for dates, what will he suggest?
 
Please review.
 
BeserkRonin: here's your update.
 
MS