Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ Frequently Threatening ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
Frequently Life Threatening
 
Walking to the principal's office in the company of the teacher did not allow Ichigo and Rukia any time for private conversation. Orihime, Chad and Uryu followed quietly behind, after persuading Keigo that it was in his interest not to attract any attention. His latest spell of detention had almost led to contact with his parents over his behavioural `issues'. In addition, some of the female students had complained about his conduct during P.E. classes, at lunch time, during ordinary lessons; well, to be honest, they mainly complained about his existence.
 
Arriving at the principals' office, the teacher knocked and then ushered them inside. Feeling self-conscious and conspicuous Ichigo waited impatiently until the pleasantries were exchanged to find out why they had been summoned.
 
“Miss Kuchiki and Mr Kurosaki, a number of your teachers are concerned about your health and have asked me to discreetly enquire if you are suffering any terminal medical problems?” The principal was being very polite and for a moment Ichigo was confused. Why would the teachers think they had anything wrong with them? He hardly ever took a day off sick and Rukia hadn't even had a cold since she had arrived. Glancing at Rukia he noticed that she seemed as confounded by the question as he felt.
 
“I don't know why anyone would think I was unwell,” she said in her saccharine voice.
 
That voice made Ichigo wish for a sip of vinegar or some soy sauce to counteract the overdone sweetness in her tone, but he had to admit that it usually worked.
 
The principal coughed slightly, cleared his throat and looked down at the papers on his desk. “You have left your class on numerous occasions during the day to use the facilities. It is also remarkable that on most occasions you have left the classroom for this purpose within a few minutes of each other. Your teachers wonder if this is because of a medical problem of which they need to be aware.” He was now playing with a pen, a sign of nervousness Ichigo had observed on one of the other occasions he had been summoned to the office. “
 
Why would the principal be nervous?” he wondered. “I think I understand now, all the Hollow alerts that happen at school. I didn't think about the number of times the Hollow alert has made us both pretend an urgent need for the bathroom. How can I reply?” His mind refused to assist him, concentrating instead on other thoughts. Maybe he could fall over and pretend be suffering from some unusual virus.
 
“I'm too self-conscious to discuss this with you, Sir,” Rukia said, tears forming in her eyes as she retrieved her handkerchief. “It's a coincidence that Ichigo can't remember to use the facilities during break times, or maybe he's just shy about having other people around.” She dabbed at her eyes, looking forlorn and fragile.
 
Ichigo felt his temper rise. “She makes up an excuse which means she doesn't have to say what's wrong with her and then makes me look like an idiot who doesn't know how to control my body. But what can I do? When a Hollow comes, I have to kill it. It's not like I can ask it to wait until break time.”
 
The principal went an interesting shade of pink at Rukia's reply.
 
“I have a problem which I can't mention here,” Ichigo improvised, while jerking his head toward Rukia to indicate to the principal that he did not wish to reveal anything in front of the girl.
 
“Perhaps you both require a check-up. But your father is a doctor, isn't he Mr Kurosaki? I'm startled that he has not thought to mention your problem to us so we would not be concerned,” the principal looked at Ichigo sharply as he spoke. His eyes seemed to look past Ichigo and see the truth.
 
Shuffling his feet a little under the observation Ichigo thought, “Damn, he's right. What can I say? Dad will never write a note about a fake medical condition,” It was then he become conscious that he was sunk and could see no life preservers. A drop of perspiration tricked down his spine.
 
“That's because Ichigo is seeing a specialist. Dr Urahara is treating both of us for our respective conditions. We'll bring in our notes tomorrow,” Rukia said ignoring the agonised look on Ichigo's face as she threw out the life line he had believed would not appear.
 
“Urahara! That pervert who'd sold Orihime that game that has caused so much pain for all of us. Then again, this could be partial payback. Maybe I can beat him up first and then get him to produce some faked letters. If the guy would create and sell a game like that, supply fake bodies to Shinigami and try to kiss innocent girls, he would sell fake medical letters.” For this first time in the last few minutes, Ichigo felt a spark of hope. “I won't pay that chiseller one yen; he conned Rukia into buying that gigai for Renji and she has to pay storage fees. If I know the guy at all, there'll probably be regular maintenance on the gigai also. I wonder how much it will cost?”
 
“Oh, I see,” the principal said, a small look of relief crossing his face. “I'm pleased to hear there's an explanation. Please make certain those notes are brought in tomorrow. I hope your illnesses are not life threatening.” He placed his hands, palm down on the desk as he prepared to rise.
 
“Only frequently,” Ichigo muttered quietly, intercepting a quick look from Rukia. The principal appeared not to hear the comment as he walked to the door and held it open.
 
Taking the hint, Ichigo and Rukia left the office and rejoined their friends outside. “What happened?” Orihime's face wore a worried frown and she gazed anxiously at Ichigo.
 
“The teacher's have complained about the number of times we've run out of the classroom, saying we need to go to the bathroom. Rukia told him a lie and now we have to visit hat and clogs to get some fake medical letters. He better not give me an embarrassing problem, but he probably will.” Ichigo felt an uncomfortable itch between his shoulder blades.
 
“Kurosaki, you exit the room, claiming you require to use the facilities, and then hope that the explanation will not be embarrassing? I'm afraid that your hopes will not to be realised.” Uryu was smiling, the corners of his mouth slightly twisted upward as he looked at his peer.
 
“Oh.” Orihime said, her eyes dropping. “Do you mind if I don't come to the shop? Or, I could walk there with you but stay in the street outside.” Her voice was hushed and uncertain and she seemed intent on examining the floor on which she stood.
 
Seeing her uncertainty made Ichigo want to hug her reassuringly and he almost obeyed his instinct, but then it would not be a good idea to hug her at school in front of the principal's office. He didn't care if his friends saw that, but not the other students or teachers.
 
If Keigo found out they were a couple, it would be awkward. Many times he'd pointed out how desirable Orihime was to him and that one day he hoped she would agree to be his girlfriend, while Ichigo tried to ignore his reaction to the statement. Not that Keigo had ever asked her, because he was waiting for the right moment, which never seemed to arrive. Ichigo was still a little worried that Keigo had not tried to corner him about the earlier date as Rukia had let the identity of his date slip. But they had assured the guy that the date was a failure, and that might make him less likely to interrogate Ichigo. With any luck he would not realise that both Ichigo and Orihime were busy on Sunday and work out that they might be busy together. “If he asks, I'll tell him the truth. Why pretend? Even if he does cry and try to hug me at least he won't be trying to hug Orihime.”
 
“What shop are you talking about? Should I be expressing my feelings about not being asked on the date yesterday?” Chad smiled slightly as he asked the question.
 
“Let me guess, Keigo told you?” Ichigo deduced. If you wanted a rumour spread you only needed to mention it within hearing range of Keigo and soon everyone would know. It was almost a special talent how the guy could pass the word on, even on detention.
 
“We thought of asking you, but….”
 
“It's okay. I was busy anyway.” Chad looked at the four people in front of him. “I have a feeling that something happened last night that you should tell me.”
 
Ichigo exchanged looks with the others and they nodded. “Not here,” he said quickly. “Let's got to the roof.”
 
Trooping upstairs it dawned on Ichigo that maybe he was breaking one of the many rules about the game which he hadn't read, but that didn't seem important. What would happen? Would it attract another penalty? Out in the sunshine, without that heavy atmosphere that had accompanied the game, it all seemed pretty silly and inconsequential. Why would Fate and Fortune take an interest in six teenagers? Playing with their futures would surely not provide that much amusement when they could influence so many more important people. Even if Fate and Fortune were bored with immortality, they could go and allow other mortals to entertain them, ones who were conscious of the honour.
 
Once they were all seated Ichigo began to explain about the date. Rukia and Uryu interrupted every so often and Orihime sat quietly, close to Ichigo's side. After covering the first part of the date he paused, wondering how he could explain everything.
 
“We are leaving something out, Chad. We had an earlier date when we visited this rather unusual shop and I bought some things.” Orihime's voice interrupted the silence. Ichigo looked at her realising that he had started his explanation at the wrong point in time.
 
“It starts before then,” Rukia interjected. “It started when Kon was in Ichigo's body and he asked Orihime to walk through the park.”
 
Groaning at the memory of the sequence of events, Ichigo let Rukia explain it in her unflattering and sarcastic way. Her description of her idea and how she managed to `persuade' Ichigo was mercifully brief but brutal. She did not omit Renji and his effect, or Uryu's behaviour and even tried to explain about Urahara's shop. As she spoke, Ichigo noticed a heavy frown form on Chad's face.
 
“Who is the guy?” Chad demanded when Rukia paused for breath.
 
“He's got to be an ex-Shinigami,” Ichigo exclaimed. “He knows about Soul Society and gigai and that stuff. Why would a Shinigami want to become a shop keeper? Maybe they kicked him out because he's a pervert.” The more he thought about it, the more the idea seemed right.
 
Rukia hid a smile that began to cross her face. “Sort of,” she said and then clamped her lips shut, refusing to say more despite the urging of Ichigo, Uryu and Orihime.
 
Once all their attempts to make Rukia explain had failed there was a short silence.
 
“I would like to visit this shop with you Ichigo,” said Chad in a quiet firm voice. “I would like to see this ex-Shinigami who wishes to kiss young girls.”
 
“The thing that really bugs me is when I looked through the cards, there was no card called `The Handsome Shopkeeper'. No picture slightly resembled him and that seemed wrong,” Ichigo said, finally deciding to mention another reason for his disquiet.
 
“What?” The outrage was evident in Rukia's voice. “It was there. I saw it. Tatsuki showed it to me when I questioned her. It was Urahara, but an image much better than the real guy. It has to be there. You need your eyes checked, Ichigo.” For some reason this new information seemed to scare Rukia and Ichigo wondered why.
 
The Handsome Shopkeeper was not included when I looked through the cards before we began the game,” Uryu said quietly. His eyes were cast down and he spoke as if the words were being forced from him. “I would have noticed if a person with whom I was acquainted was featured amongst the cards. Until now I did not wish to mention it. That game has already caused enough strife and worry and I thought further reference would only remind us all of the unpleasant events.”
 
“I don't like this,” Orihime sounded like she was close to tears. Without thinking about the matter further, Ichigo hugged her close, not caring that he was at school. She needed his comfort.
 
“Where are the cards now?” Chad asked.
 
“At home,” Orihime said, resting her cheek on Ichigo's shoulder.
 
“I put them in a drawer with the pens and paper,” Ichigo added enjoying the feel of Orihime leaning on him.
 
“We'll all go to your place after school and look at these cards,” Chad said decisively. Ichigo looked at him, wondering why he was so interested and thinking his determination seemed unusual, as he normally did not take charge like this. Catching his glance Chad shook his head slightly, indicating that he did not wish to be questioned about his change in attitude and Ichigo nodded in reply. Sometimes his friend had an insight into situations that baffled Ichigo.
 
The bell rang, signalling the end of the break. Ichigo unenthusiastically released Orihime, and they were all standing ready to walk to the classroom when Keigo bounded up to meet them.
 
“What did the principal want, Ichigooooo?” he said launching himself at his class mate. As he was so used to dodging Isshin's attacks, he was out of the teenager's way and Keigo lurched to the end of the roof, falling across the balustrade. The group of friends turned to watch and as he managed to save himself did not bother to offer assistance and continued to move toward their class.
 
Author's Note:
 
Yes, I know it's shorter than usual, but I ran out of time. Have a wonderful festive season and a great New Year.
 
Thanks to the people who have reviewed. Here, have some warm gingerbread. Especial thanks to yuwa who really made my day with his last review.
 
Please review.
 
MS.