Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ Evil Root ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
Evil Root
 
He cleared his throat, feeling strangely nervous at finally being alone with his friend. He wondered; did he consider Orihime as a friend? He hadn't thought about it until now. He liked her more than he liked Tatsuki and Tatsuki was his friend and he'd felt friendship toward Orihime on their first date, but he didn't feel about Tatsuki the way he felt about Orihime. There was no desire to hug her; if he did he was sure she would slap him but Orihime had not slapped him. Friend? He was too tired to really think it through at the moment. The events of the evening had exhausted him, but he didn't want to go home, just yet.
 
Orihime was clearing up, putting the wet towel in the bathroom, moving all the cups and plates to the sink. Wanting to help, Ichigo gathered up the cards that were lying on the floor and found the box. Wondering slightly, he looked at the cards thinking about how they had affected everyone differently, but none of it pleasant. Shuffling through the deck he noticed that some of the cards were missing or different to how he remembered them. The words were clear and what he read did not match with his memory of the fortunes told in the game. Questioning what he had seen, he replaced the cards in their box, deciding not to mention it to anyone. The paper and pens from the dictionary game were collected next and tidied away. The room looked neater now and he glanced toward Orihime.
 
Her back was turned to him as she washed up and he realised they had not exchanged a word since Rukia and Renji left. Locating a tea towel, he began to dry the clean dishes, placing them on the bench. In his house he was expected to help out, something he was pleased about now. Thinking he would just talk about something to break the silence he asked, “What do you think about Neo-Con….um Scien…ur the latest story about Keigo?”
 
“Thank you but I don't know the latest story about Keigo and I'd prefer not to hear it. I feel sorry for him sometimes. You don't need to help me, Ichigo; I can take care of this. If you want, you can go home,” Orihime spoke quietly, her eyes fixed on the dishes in the sink.
 
“I didn't want to embarrass you like that. I didn't want to ask that question. I thought it was going to be a fun game, instead of, instead of what it was,” he finished lamely. He flushed at the stupidity of his comments.
 
“I know you want to leave. Don't let me stop you,” she said as a tear plopped into the washing up water. “I know that you only acted the way you did because you were embarrassed. I apologise for kissing you, Ichigo. It won't happen again. You don't need to take me on the date on Sunday, I understand that the situation is different now and you might have other plans.”
 
Gaping at her in astonishment, Ichigo wondered what was going on. “Huh?” Not much of a response, but the only one he felt capable of making.
 
“You were forced into the first date with me, I know. I've known for some time. I thought it didn't matter because of how… I thought it didn't matter because we had fun, but that's all changed now,” Orihime continued to wash up, more tears falling into the water as she spoke.
 
“We did have fun and I did want to, I mean I do want to date you. I asked you on the date on Sunday; it was my idea, no one told me to. Orihime, don't you understand? The game was bad, it was awful and it hurt everyone. We all were affected by what was happening. I'm sorry if my question wounded you. It wasn't meant to; it should never have been asked.”
 
Orihime just shook her head sadly.
 
“I wasn't asking about having sex with you in particular. It was a general question,” Ichigo said hoping that was what she wanted him to say.
 
The supposed reassurance made the tears fall faster and Orihime began to sob, clasping her wet hands in front of her mouth, her shoulders rounding and her body rocking forward.
 
That was obviously the wrong thing to say. If he said the opposite that might work and make her stop crying. One of the statements had to be the correct one, didn't it? Why had he said anything in the first place? He wished he could have asked Rukia what to say. She would have sneered at him, insulted him a few times but she would have been able to advise him. Why were women so unpredictable? “I was hoping it would be you?” Ichigo tried again.
 
Orihime reacted badly to his new statement and her sobs became worse. She grabbed a tissue, scrubbing at her wet face. Not knowing what else to do, Ichigo put his arms around her, trying to comfort the crying girl. She immediately tried to push him away, her body tensing at his touch. Ichigo wondered what he'd said that was wrong. He'd tried but he had trouble seeing what he could say.
 
“I'm sorry,” that seemed a statement that might cover everything. He was sure he had to be sorry about something; he was really sorry he's opened his mouth, played the dumb game, asked the stupid question. Strangely he wasn't sorry about going on a date with Orihime. That was one of the things that he was pleased about. “I'm very sorry, for everything.” A blanket apology was the best idea.
 
“I'm sorry too, Ichigo,” Orihime said, the sobs shaking her while he still hugged her in his arms.
 
“You don't have anything to be sorry about,” Ichigo said, remembering he'd heard his father say that to Yuzu one day when she was upset and apologising for no reason. It had calmed Yuzu down.
 
“But I was so awful to you, Ichigo, just now,” she said wiping her eyes on the bedraggled tissue. She then produced the handkerchief Ichigo had given her and dried her face as best she could.
 
Ichigo felt like scratching his head, wondering what Orihime was saying but that would mean he would have to stop hugging her. “You weren't awful,” he said guessing that perhaps this was the right thing to say.
 
This was difficult. He was useless when Yuzu cried at home, always letting Karin or Isshin comfort her. The one day they'd been out he'd only made things worse. Yuzu had been crying because someone told her she was adopted. To comfort her he'd said was that of course she wasn't adopted. She looked exactly like their father. What was wrong with that? Her reaction had been to lock herself in her room, refusing to come out until Karin came home. When he asked Karin what he'd said that upset Yuzu, she told him he was an idiot and to work it out himself. Because she wouldn't tell him he still didn't know.
 
“I was. You were trying to be nice to me and all I could think about was how I needed the game to be over so I could be alone with you.” Realising what she had said, Orihime covered her mouth, her eyes wide, staring at Ichigo. “I didn't mean that; well I didn't mean to say that.”
 
This time he had said the right thing. He felt a sense of relief and his face stretched into a smile at her words. She wanted to be alone with him, just as he wanted to be alone with her. “I want to be alone with you too.”
 
She smiled back at him, pleased by his admission, but then her eyes strayed past his shoulder and she let out a startled exclamation. As he was still so tense from the game he let Orihime go and spun around, taking up a defensive position, ready to take on any threat, hollow or human that had appeared behind him, but he could see nothing. Turning back to Orihime he said, “What did you see? You're looking very worried.”
 
“It's nearly midnight, Ichigo and we have school tomorrow. I think we have a test and I haven't studied. If I study for an hour I might manage to at least pass,” her voice sounded slightly strained and sad.
 
Ichigo then noticed that Orihime was looking at the clock behind him. It hadn't been any unearthly creature that had scared her, but the time. It was a slight let down that the explanation was so simple and she did not require him to save her heroically. It would be nice to save her from something again so that she would look at him gratefully and admire him abilities. “You're right, I better go or Dad won't be happy. I don't think he'll be happy with me for being so late. Will you go on the date with me on Sunday? I thought we could go to an amusement park together, try on a few rides; eat some junk food….” He let his voice trail off as he watched her eyes glow slightly.
 
“I haven't been to an amusement park since my brother died. I would like that very much Ichigo. I will cook dinner afterward,” Orihime offered.
 
Without thinking much about it, Ichigo agreed. His eyes were intent on her mouth, wondering if he dared to kiss her before he left, knowing he would kick himself all the way home if he didn't. Bending slightly, he brushed her lips with his and then left hurriedly bidding her a quick farewell, scared to say too much. At least she hadn't hit him, but she wouldn't do that. Part of her nature was that she was too nice to rebuff people. He hoped she didn't want to reject him.
 
It was too late to exact any revenge on Urahara; that would have to wait until later. Wandering through the dark streets he wondered what would happen if the hollow alert thingy went off tonight. He might manage to get an undisturbed night's rest because Rukia would not be home and Renji would have to take care of it. Flexing his shoulders as he walked, he felt a sense of relief that his night would be his own, except for Kon. If he were lucky Yuzu may have taken Kon to play with and in that case he might, just might be able to allow those fantasies run through his mind without fear of interruption. That would mean he'd get a very relaxed night's sleep. If Kon was in his room, he promised, it would not be for long. This night he needed his rest and if he returned without Rukia, Kon would badger him all night demanding an explanation.
 
The Monday morning, after the last date, Ichigo had made up some excuse about Rukia going to hat and clogs shop for the night because her gigai needed adjustment. When he thought about it, the explanation was unbelievable. Rukia spent as little time with the guy as possible and would never spend the night at his place unless she had something to keep him away, like a miniature atomic warhead, or a chain saw, or a small elite fighting force. It was the best explanation he could think of at short notice. When she had returned that afternoon Kon had sulked and complained about her absence asking her if her gigai was adjusted and if he could help adjust it next time.
 
Bemused by the questions, Rukia had dragged Ichigo outside and asked what he'd said. When he explained, she raised her eyebrows at him and seemed completely baffled. “You said what? Not even Kon would believe that. Sometimes I despair of you, Kurosaki. You fight hollows, see ghosts and you're in high school but you have no imagination for anything except your lurid thoughts. Next time tell him I'm staying with Orihime; no that's a bad idea. He'd want to visit. Tell him I'll be home later and put him in Yuzu's room. That's what you should do. It's not a complete lie or the truth.”
 
Her suggestion had merits and as he let himself into the house he dodged the expected onslaught from his father. Unable to cease his forward motion, Isshin thumped loudly into the wall, causing the house to shudder from the impact. He quickly bounced to his feet pretending he'd planned to miss.
 
“Why are you so late son? I thought you had a test tomorrow and needed to study. You weren't on a date were you? You didn't say when you left, but looking at you, you look like you've been doing something aside from studying. Tell you father everything,” Isshin pleaded hopefully.
 
“Night, Dad,” Ichigo said as he walked up the stairs. How could he talk about the date? It was something he wasn't certain he wanted to think about, let alone discuss with his father. True, he'd kissed Orihime but it still felt like he had lost more than he gained as a result of the fortune telling game. There was no doubt Rukia would talk about the stupid question he'd asked when she got home. If he gave her more money she might keep quiet.
 
Money! Renji was still in the gigai, or had they returned it? They'd lose the security deposit if they hadn't. He'd need money for the date on Sunday, but at least this time he was only paying for the two of them. Entering his room he dropped onto the bed, ignoring the questions from Kon as he tried to work out how much more money he would need.
 
It wasn't any good. Tomorrow he would have to ask his father for some cash because he didn't want his bank balance to decrease any further. Isshin was generous with additional funds, but he knew he'd have to do something unpleasant in return, possibly even talk to his father or participate in one of the family game nights Isshin loved so much. One good thing, at least the girls refused to play any of the games that involved physical contact after that one disastrous attempt at arm wrestling when Isshin became a little overexcited while wrestling with Karin. The broken table was quickly replaced but the memory rankled.
 
If it was a games night it would probably be cards or something inane, and after tonight he didn't feel like being involved in another game of any kind. Sighing he rubbed his face, wondering why it was so complex. If he asked for the money because he was going on a date, he knew his father would be generous, but then there would be the expectation that Ichigo would provide details of the date after the event. This time it would be an ordinary date, just two people, no weird interruptions or games. Two people in an amusement park, how hard would it be? He could tell him about the rides they went on; it would be a perfectly normal outing.
 
He felt something bouncing on his chest and noticed Kon was trying to attract his attention. “Where's Rukia? What have you done with the raven haired temptress who treats me so bad, but makes it feel so good?”
 
“She'll be back later,” Ichigo said presenting the answer that had been prepared earlier.
 
“But it's after midnight. Do you mean you let the light of my life walk home alone in the dark? What if someone attacks her; what if she's hit by a car? Give me the body. I must go and protect my harsh mistress,” for a change, Kon was being overly dramatic.
 
“I feel sorry for anyone dumb enough to attack Rukia. She'll be fine.” Why did he have to say anything more?
 
Kon crossed his arms and tapped his foot. “I am saddened by your attitude. You are meant to protect my cruel beauty from harm and you don't seem to care. You're not fair Ichigo.”
 
Ichigo grabbed the annoying stuffed toy, covering its mouth with his hand and stealing down the hallway he placed Kon in the bed with Yuzu. She mumbled and turned, grabbing the toy in her sleep and with a smile crossing his face, Ichigo returned to his room. Success! A night alone, no annoying females popping out of cupboards, no strange stuffed toys watching him sleep; at last a relaxing night when he could attend to some private matters.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
After a very tranquil and calming night, Ichigo went to school, forgetting that he had not studied for the test; the English test where they had to provide the correct Japanese explanation for the English word. He had been right: the dictionary game was like school! He knew that anything suggested by the Quincy would have to be educational. There were some benefits that he quickly appreciated: some of the words used in the game came up and he thought he could remember the correct definition. His luck must have changed despite the threats from Fate and Fortune.
 
At break he met up with Rukia, Uryu and Orihime. Tatsuki was absent. Rukia seemed a little dreamy and distant but she had not returned to Zombie Rukia, for which Ichigo was thankful. She smiled at him and refrained from insulting him for at least five minutes.
 
“What about the deposit?” he asked, the thought of money paramount in his mind. In his rush to get to school he hadn't asked for an advance on his allowance.
 
A very guilty look crossed Rukia's face. “I had to buy the gigai because of the late return. Urahara promised to store it, for a small fee of course, but it means I won't be stuck with having to find the deposit each time.” Her reluctance to reply almost made Ichigo feel sorry for her. Then he thought about the money. Where did she get the money? “I had to use all the money we got from the Hollow kills to pay for it and we still owe some. He said if we kill enough Hollows by the end of the week we won't have to pay interest.”
 
Late return, forced purchase, small fee, interest; the `handsome' shopkeeper didn't miss a trick. He had a talent for squeezing money out of any unsuspecting client. Ichigo did not ignore the change from `I' to `we' during Rukia's explanation. He knew very well who would be killing the Hollows. What was worse, she still had not paid him the money she'd promised. He'd have to ask his father for money now. Mentally he sighed, thinking about the coming conversation.
 
“Is Tatsuki unwell, Orihime? She is not at school today and that concerns me,” Uryu's formal manner did not conceal an air of anxiety at her absence.
 
“I heard from her this morning. She sounded very confused and asked me if she had kissed you. Did I do the right thing, because I told her the truth?” Orihime looked troubled, apparently in conflict as to whether she had made the right choice.
 
“What was her response?” Uryu asked eagerly and then tried to pretend he wasn't that interested. He removed his glasses and polished them carefully on his special glasses cleaning cloth. Ichigo was not even momentarily conned. He knew that Uryu wanted to know the answer.
 
“She groaned and told me she wouldn't come to school today. She didn't seem too upset, I think. She said her head hurt and she said her memories of last night were fuzzy and unclear and she felt very tired. I wonder if it is because she was fighting against, um, you know, for so long. I'll visit her after school,” Orihime's face expressed her unease.
 
Uryu's assumed the usual calm mask, though his lips seemed to thin slightly. From Orihime's words it was difficult to tell if Tatsuki was upset or not worried about kissing him. Before he could ask another question there was an interruption.
 
“Ichigoooooo,” squealed a voice and a pair of grasping arms tried to embrace Ichigo's shoulders. “Why did you do that?” Keigo continued from the floor looking confused and flinching at the new bruise that was forming on his forehead.
 
Why did the guy always seem astonished when Ichigo hit him? Was he thick, or did he forget things quickly? “I told you to stop touching me. I don't want you to touch me,” Ichigo said very clearly, as he had many times in the past.
 
“But Ichigo, I'm pleased to see you. I don't see enough of you, you're always busy. How was the date? The date you didn't ask me on?” Tears filled Keigo's eyes at the remembered slight. He rose to his feet and looked at them reproachfully.
 
“Mostly awful,” said Rukia.
 
`Unfortunate,” Uryu responded.
 
Ichigo grunted not wanting to reply.
 
“Some parts were okay,” Orihime suggested, as always trying to see the good side. She seemed to be looking at Ichigo, possibly remembering the kissing. That was what he hoped.
 
“If I'd come it would have been fun,” Keigo asserted. He seemed very sure that he was the missing ingredient to a fun date.
 
The other four exchanged glances and shuddered. Fun was not the word they would have chosen if he had attended. Unforgettable, but not fun. Keigo would be the missing ingredient on a date from hell, which last nights date almost became. Ichigo did not even wish to contemplate the question he would have asked. It might have even made his blunder pale into insignificance.
 
“When's the next group date, then. I'll come on that one,” Keigo was so eager he was almost panting at the idea. Slight traces of drool showed at the sides of his mouth. Seeing him this excited was a discomforting sight.
 
“We're not having anymore group dates. We've just told you it wasn't good. Weren't you listening?” Ichigo could not believe Keigo's guts. He'd tried to come on the last date and now he expected to be involved in any future date activities. It was a good thing no future group dates had been planned because Keigo might have found out and insisted on being included.
 
“Then you can come to the amusement park with me on Sunday. We'll go as a group. I'll invite Chad and Mizuiro. What do you think,” was the quick suggestion.
 
Ichigo glanced at Orihime. They had planned to go to the amusement park. He was going to squash this idea and destroy it now. Keigo at the same place would mean a date that could only end in either disaster of disappointment or lots more drool. “I'm busy on Sunday. I heard that the Aquarium was having a beauty contest and it's half price entry. Half the rides at the park have closed for maintenance.” How many times had he lied to this guy? It was true about the beauty contest, but it was for girls under the age of 12.
 
“A beauty contest? Young women in swim suits, abbreviated bathing suits. Bikini babes. Gorgeous eye candy. It will be a guys' only outing. Are you coming Uryu? You don't have to. As you suggested it Ichigo, I know you want to go.”
 
“Do you need your hearing checked? I said I was busy and I am still busy on Sunday.” One day the guy might listen and actually understand but Ichigo didn't believe it.
 
“I too have other commitments,” said a slightly nervous looking Uryu. Beauty contests did not seem to appeal to him, or maybe it was spending extended time with Keigo.
 
“I'm not a guy, so it would be wasted on me,” Rukia asserted, “and I know Orihime has something she has to do. She's very busy on Sunday.” This was stated with a smirk in Ichigo's direction. Ichigo scowled at her but returned his gaze to Orihime. Sunday seemed too far away.
 
“I am playing with the band,” said a slow heavy voice. Chad had joined the group and was now quietly excusing himself from any interaction with Keigo on the weekend. “I don't like beauty contests. They objectify women and reduce them to little more than animated mannequins.”
 
Keigo's face fell and his body radiated disappointment and an air of rejection. “Sometimes I wonder if any of you are my friends,” he complained, the ever present tears nearly ready to fall.
 
“I'll go. My girlfriend is busy this Sunday and I want to keep occupied,” Mizuiro said also joining in the conversation. “I haven't been to the Aquarium for a long time and I like the dolphin shows. Dolphin's are nice and faithful and take good care of their children.”
 
Ichigo must be slipping as he hadn't noticed these two join the group, or maybe it was because he had trouble removing his gaze from Orihime. Ichigo opened his mouth, wondering what the hell he should say. He wished the bell would go or the Hollow alert tracker would save him from this situation.
 
“Kurosaki, you're wanted immediately in the principals office. Same with you, Kuchiki,” a teacher informed them, removing his need to respond to Keigo, but now he was faced with another unknown situation. What had he done recently that would bring him to the attention of the principal? More importantly, what had Rukia done?
 
Author's Note;
 
The title of this chapter comes from the saying: The love of money is the root of all evil.
 
Next chapter: The next chapter will contain words, sentences, paragraphs, punctuation and possibly a date. The 15th March is a good date and may feature.
 
Please review.
 
MS