Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ O Fortuna ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters. The Fate and Fortune Hazard game is my creation.
 
Random thoughts ahead. I suggest reading the chapter and ignoring this rubbish.
 
List of reasons for the delay of this chapter:
The dog ate my laptop (moron);
Zelda the Twilight Princess (I love the Zelda games and wanted to finish it) (dweeb);
I then played Baten Kaitos as I would like to finish it one day (nerd);
My job (geek);
My family broke my laptop (liar);
My laptop is seeing another author (sob).
 
These and many other reasons are the cause of the slow update. Okay, a dog did not eat my laptop. I don't have a dog; and my family did not break the laptop though they threatened to; nor is it seeing anyone else. At least I don't think so. The other excuses are true.
 
Sorry, I apologise. I know some of you have been eagerly awaiting this final dark chapter so that all can go back to normal. (What's normal?) So here it is. I hope you enjoy it. (Define enjoy.) Oh, shut up. Go and annoy the characters in this chapter.
 
O Fortuna
 
Uryu unfolded the piece of paper and examined the words, his visage unsmiling. Ichigo watched, wondering why he shook his head and then looked even closer at the paper.
 
“I thought there was only one question, but suddenly two appeared,” Uryu stated unhappily. “The rules state only one question. Why are there two?”
 
`Tatsuki' tittered. In the brief interim before she spoke Ichigo experience a feeling of relief that at least he hadn't tittered and then decided that the titter did not indicate an answer he wanted to hear
 
“The substitute wrote one question first, discarded it as too embarrassing and then wrote another. I thought the first question was more amusing, so, in the interests of my enjoyment, I decided to grant him two answers. Do not fear, I have increased the cards for you to read to six. The first three will answer the second question, so I suggest you read them first.” Tatsuki covered her mouth, continuing to titter.
 
Pressing his lips tightly together, Uryu cast a scathing look at the presence in Tatsuki. “I don't think that's fair,” he protested.
 
“Fair? Why should it be fair? Would you like the other unwritten question you decided not to write, answered?” The grin that crossed Tatsuki's face was without humour and the teeth displayed by the stretched lips seemed more pointed than normal. The threat was obvious.
 
“No, but why do we have to listen to two?” Uryu was determined to argue his case.
 
“I am in charge and you will do what I say if you want your girl to remain unharmed.” The being made a strange threatening gesture to Tatsuki's body. It was not easy to work out the threat, but Uryu's eyes grew larger and he shut his mouth with a snap.
 
Throughout this discussion, Ichigo was feeling sick. This couldn't be happening to him, could it? Now everyone would think he was either a pervert or obsessed with sex, and even if it was true, he didn't want Orihime to know. He couldn't prevent Uryu from knowing; because he had obviously read the question, but he hoped the Quincy would keep it quiet. `The handsome shopkeeper' would be the toothless, beaten and physically deformed shopkeeper or maybe even the dead shopkeeper if this game ever ended. The bland question would not cause any issues. “I don't care if you only read the answer to the second question. No one's interested in the first question I asked,” Ichigo said quickly.
 
“Oh, but I am; so very interested. This game has been pretty dull until now and the other question will provide so much consternation. You wouldn't be so cruel to deprive me of my entertainment, would you?” Tatsuki turned her shadowed eyes toward Ichigo, as if expecting a different answer.
 
“Yes, I would.” Ichigo was firm but he noticed Orihime had drawn a little away from him and was shaking her head imploringly at him. Her eyes were wide and she was trying to communicate with him without words.
 
“Your pretty friend is trying to prevent you from arguing with me. Didn't you listen to my warning? Don't you realise I will not be gainsaid? Because of your insolence and arrogance another penalty is imposed. I was looking for an excuse and you provided the perfect opportunity, boy,” `Tatsuki' was hugging herself with glee. “Three penalties, just as I anticipated. Oh, making you undergo the punishment will be so much fun.”
 
“No exit, no escape. I have to go through with this. Can the punishment be any worse that what is happening already?” Ichigo kept his mouth firmly shut as he thought, looking at Uryu, and waiting for the mortification to commence.
 
“Let's hear the second question first. Save the joy for later. Come on boy, read it aloud. Let's all hear the puerile problem that the substitute wants to know the answer to. Substitute is a good word for him. Teehee.” The entity's laugh sounded false, and Ichigo gritted his teeth.
 
Uryu looked over the top of his glasses at Tatsuki with an element of sadness in his expression. “Can't you inhabit someone else?”
 
“Do you want another penalty? No, I'm enjoying the struggles of the girl. She's fighting against me almost as strongly as the crimson one. Read the question.”
 
Taking a deep breath, Ichigo waited for his question to be disclosed.
 
“Will I be able to protect everyone?” The question was read aloud and Ichigo flushed at how stupid it sounded.
 
He caught a look of admiration from Orihime and one of derision from Uryu and Renji. Rukia did not seem to be paying attention, as she was looking again at the cards that answered Renji's question. Rukia and Renji were no longer locked tightly together, but they were still obviously unprepared to move far from each other.
 
“Protect everyone. How noble. How self-sacrificing. How utterly wet. It's a pathetic question and argues well for your conceit. The heroic replacement wants to be the guardian of all. What a foolish mortal you are.” `Tatsuki's' voice bubbled with sarcastic laughter.
 
Orihime stroked the back of Ichigo's hand and whispered, “I like the question. It's just the sort of question you'd ask Ichigo. I'm really looking forward to hearing the other one. The fortune can't be that bad for such a righteous question.”
 
Ichigo shifted, uncomfortable at her praise and nervous about her later reactions. “Orihime, look, um, please ignore the other question. It was meant as a joke.”
 
Hearing a hissing noise, Ichigo dragged his eyes away from Orihime and saw he was the object of a very sullen glare. “Shut up, boy. Listen to your fate. Read now, you. This is just a prologue to the farce.”
 
Picking up the first card, Uryu looked at it and then glanced at Ichigo. “Do you want to see the cards before or after I read them?”
 
“I don't know if I want to see them at all,” Ichigo replied. He was lying, he did want to see the cards, but did not wish to admit his interest. He was holding Orihime's hand, having put a little distance between them due to his increasing discomfort at her anticipated reaction to the second question. He didn't want her pulling away from his embrace. If she pulled her hand from his, it would still be evidence of her disgust, but not as noticeable.
 
“Show him before, show him after, what does it matter?” The entity stated.
 
Ignoring the being in Tatsuki Uryu commented, “I noticed you were interested in looking at them. I'm only being polite.”
 
Before Ichigo could respond Orihime said, “I would like to see the cards, please. If you don't mind, of course,” she looked imploringly at Ichigo who smiled at her in a not very convincing manner.
 
Handing over the first card, Uryu shrugged at `Tatsuki' who was muttering, “Get on with it. This is only the first course. I want dessert.”
 
Even as Ichigo overheard the comment, he tried to ignore it. With any luck there might be a bomb scare, or a Hollow alert that would get him out of this. He almost wished he had Hollow bait, but even while considering those thoughts, he looked at the card in Orihime's hand.
 
The picture was of a teenage boy, (or was it a girl?) holding a sword with a veil wrapped around his/her head. The eyes were large and contained more suffering and worry than should be experienced by someone his/her age. There was a crowd of people standing behind the figure, in a dessert, with the shape of a ship in the distance.
 
Handing the card back, Ichigo realised he had not looked at the words or the title. He had actually never noticed the title or words of the cards except when it was his turn to answer Tatsuki's question. “Next time I will read the words. Next time,” he assured himself all the while waiting in bleak anticipation of the fate that would be revealed.
 
“The card is called The Substitute Saviour. The fortune is: `A substitute never matches the quality of the original. Always a poor copy, always doomed to disappoint and ultimately hurt those you wish to save. Accept your limitations and bow your head in endurance at the sadness you will bring.' These cards always display an innocent merriment in the words, don't they? It almost makes The Handsome Shopkeeper preferable, though I cannot say he interests me. It is probable he is more your type,” Uryu directed the question to `Tatsuki.'
 
She sniffed. “I don't know why I would have a preference for that mangy merchant. Some of his ploys amuse and this is one of the best I have observed, but don't ask personal questions, child. Remember who makes and enforces the rules during the game.”
 
Ichigo's heart thudded as he awaited the announcement of another penalty, but the entity lapsed into silence. The words on the first card were bad, but Orihime had squeezed his hand as they were uttered and he was grateful for her kindness. Somehow the cards or the game identified every person's weak point and then exposed it for all to see.
 
“The second card is The Trapped Soul.” After announcing the title, Uryu passed over the card and Ichigo took it with a mixture of foreboding and wonder. Trapped souls sounded sad. Remembering his earlier insight he tried to read the words on the card. He tried again. And again. Struggling with his eyes, he tries once more to focus on the words written on the card and failed. When he looked at the words it was like his eyes slipped over them without reading them.
 
He whispered to Orihime “Can you read the words?” as he held the card out to her. He saw her try to focus and then her vision seemed to waver. After a few attempts she shook her head.
 
“I can't read it at all, not even the name of the card. I might get my eyes checked,” she sounded doleful at her failure.
 
Wondering, Ichigo instead looked at the picture. It portrayed a suit of armour with a spike on the helmet. The armour appeared animate, as if something inhabited it, but the visor, was lifted, showing no face underneath. A small blond figure in black clothes and a red coat stood dejectedly beside the armour. Why was he so unhappy? For a second he thought he remembered the name of the people pictured, but it passed quickly. Almost throwing the card at Uryu he awaited the words he couldn't read.
 
“Now the meaning: `Being trapped by love or accident is the same. Unable to follow your original destiny, you now tread a different path, one that is not rightfully yours. Your family will suffer as you fail to protect them and each action you take ensnares you more deeply in your unnatural fate. If you continue to follow this course, your future will be short and painful.' These little snippets of fortune improve each time,” Uryu started to comment and faltered under the gaze of `Tatsuki'.
 
“Hey, kid, I think your fortune's working out better than mine. You haven't been told you're going to cause the death of someone you love.” Renji was trying to sound casual but the tone of his voice betrayed him. With one arm around Rukia and holding one of hands he still gave the impression he was ready to erupt into violence at any further provocation.
 
“Yeah, you're right. I simply can't protect anyone, I'm going to hurt people and I have a short and painful future. No big deal,” Ichigo spoke through his teeth. Renji wasn't getting it. If he couldn't protect them, the people he wanted to shelter might die and he would be the indirect cause. For a moment he rested his head on Orihime's shoulder, but decided it might be seen as a sign of weakness and quickly sat up. He didn't need to appear as weak as the words were depicting him.
 
“Can we proceed, or do you wish to engage in additional idle banter?” said `Tatsuki' in a very good imitation of Uryu's voice. The shocked look on Uryu's face was evident as he heard his voice emerge from another's mouth. The twisted smile the being gave Uryu did not improve matters and he shifted so that he was facing Ichigo and she was only in the periphery of his vision.
 
“The last card for this question is The Unexpected Hero.” Raising an eyebrow at the picture, Uryu passed the card across to Orihime. Looking at the picture Ichigo saw a youth, clad in a green tunic, carrying a sword and shield. The youth was surrounded by monsters that seemed prepared to overwhelm him. The determination to win against the overpowering numbers was there, but also a strange expression that indicated that he wished he was elsewhere. Looming behind the hero was the most formidable enemy, a giant of a man, smiling maliciously as he contemplated the inevitable defeat of the lone sword. The picture triggered a memory in Ichigo as many of the cards had, but he could not place it, no matter how hard he tried. His mind would not allow him to think about the source of these pictures.
 
As the game had progressed it had become obvious that something was not only controlling people and the game, but also his thoughts. His initial attempts at fighting against the game had faded as it became clear that there was nothing that he could do to stop the game, or reason with the entity. Even as he had heard the protests from the others, they seemed to lack their normal force.
 
Uryu removed the card from his hand and cleared his throat in a calculated manner. “Only one more set of questions to answer after this and then we're free of you.”
 
“Is that what you think?” `Tatsuki' started to laugh, the sound grating on all who heard it. “You are never free of me. How is that possible?”
 
They all looked at the entity. Never free? How could that be true? It was not right; it couldn't be right.
 
“Don't concern your poor little minds with the conundrum. All will be explained, later, if I decide. Now read the words, infant. You're making me wait and I'm not very tolerant.”
 
“An unexpected hero is no hero. Forced by circumstances to battle against a perceived enemy, you will lose and lose all. Your ability to protect will be stripped from you and if you decide to recover your power, you will risk your future. You cannot protect, even yourself.” Uryu looked at the being. “Before you ask, the summary is that you can't protect everyone and you are living in a fool's paradise and you have no future, or if you do have a future it will be bad too. I wonder at the answer you might have received if your question related to what you would eat for dinner tomorrow night?” Uryu said satirically.
 
Renji laughed mirthlessly. “The Last Meal. This meal may be your last as you consume your rice and broth. Be mindful that each grain of rice will cause despair, each piece of vegetable a disaster for your family, each sip of broth will later be a tear in your eye. Oh, good I'm eating miso soup and rice with vegetables with side orders of lost hope, despair and disaster. My favourite.”
 
The loud hissing from `Tatsuki' made Ichigo fear another penalty would be imposed. He knew that mocking the presence only made it angry and both Uryu and Renji were doing that.
 
“I should cause this body to strike you down, Shinigami and Quincy for your foolish words; you understand violence better than sense. Instead another penalty will be allotted to you. Four penalties now.” The ice in the tone indicated the fury that the joke had provoked.
 
Renji and Uryu subsided, quelled by the additional penalty and the obvious ire. As the nature of the penalties was still unknown, an additional pall of anxiety settled on the room.
 
Swallowing hard, Ichigo awaited the order for the next question to be read and decided he must speak to the girl sitting beside him, to try to explain. “Orihime, would you please leave the room. I don't want you to hear this question.”
 
“All players must be present for the reading of the question and the answers. Are you worried, Strawberry? What's going on in that little orange head of yours? Wondering how quickly the girl will dessert you in preference to the charms of the Quincy, or anyone else.”
 
The words finally forced Ichigo to acknowledge that there was no escape. Turning to Orihime he leant forward, kissed her forehead and then touched his lips to hers in a gesture of farewell. One final kiss before she became disgusted with him. Her arms stole around him and for a few brief moments he forgot everything, giving himself up to the delight of feeling her kiss him in return.
 
“Enough. I've warned you about these sickeningly sentimental activities. Stop sucking face and listen to your fortune.”
 
Unwilling to obey the instruction, stunned by the derogatory term for kissing and loath to be shamed in front of his friends, Ichigo removed his lips from Orihime's. She opened her eyes and looked at him, clearly. “I don't care what the question is, Ichigo. I know it will embarrass you, but the answer worries me because we know it will be a further attack on you. Please trust me enough to stay by you.” She took his hand in hers and sat quietly next to him, her eyes looking at their joined hands.
 
The words touched Ichigo. Throughout this ordeal Orihime had been kind and supportive. If Kon hadn't asked her for that walk, he knew he wouldn't have asked her on a date and this whole mess wouldn't have started. All the same, he didn't think anyone would react well to the question.
 
Uryu coughed. “The question is `Will I have sex soon?'”
 
Renji started laughing loudly and then suddenly stopped. Rukia choked a little as if trying to conceal her reaction to the question. Orihime, flushing, patted Ichigo's hand while Uryu bit his lip and seemed very interested in the pattern on the back of the cards.
 
The strongest reaction was `Tatsuki', who was howling with laughter, pounding her thigh with her hand as she whooped. “That's my favourite question. Honest, smutty and typical of a teenage male consumed by raging hormones. How do you feel about him now, girl? Still attracted by the dirty boy? It might be best to consider the other offer you received rather than allow your purity to be besmirched by this substitute.”
 
“But wouldn't the Handsome Shopkeeper eventually want that also?” Rukia stated coolly as she looked at the entity.
 
“Wouldn't any male?” Orihime added quietly, her eyes moving to the figure of her friend.
 
“Not the reaction I expected,” muttered the entity, obviously disappointed at the united reaction to the question. “I thought you would all despise him for giving into his base urges.”
 
“At least it's an honest question,” Renji muttered. “It's typical that the idiot would ask something like that.”
 
Ichigo flushed, taking offence at being called an idiot, but looking at Renji he saw him give him a small nod of the head. What was he playing at?
 
“Do you want me to continue with this, or do you wish to provide a commentary?” Uryu pointedly regarded the entity.
 
Ichigo felt his spirits lighten momentarily. It seemed that everyone had put aside their enmity and personal problems and were trying to support him, though he could do without the type of support that Renji was providing. Glancing at Orihime he noticed she was looking at him steadily, compassion evident in her eyes. She smiled at him gently, but her face was still flushed.
 
“Read on, read on. Show the cards, I know you will. Such a disappointment. Tsk, tsk.” `Tatsuki' was shaking her head in regret that no one was acting the way expected.
 
“To speed up this process, I will read the cards first and then let you examine them. I wish for this experience to be over,” Uryu told Ichigo.
 
Ichigo nodded in response. The sooner this was over, the sooner he might gain back some self respect, but from the glint in Rukia's eye, he knew she would not forget this question, despite her current support. Maybe he should resign himself to never having sex.
 
“The first card is The University Student. Arrogant and proud, the University Student believes that he has complete understanding of life. He feels no sympathy for the failings of others, but condemns them for their faults, or uses them for his own purpose. At first glance he is attractive, but further acquaintance will revolt all who know him. Love is not possible.”
 
“Great, I'll revolt everyone. What's that got to do with sex?” Ichigo wondered as he took the card Uryu was handing to him.
 
An attractive young man was pictured. His lips were curved into a contemptuous smile and his long fringe nearly hid his eyes which stared thoughtfully out of the card. He was holding a notebook in one hand and was sitting in a bedroom, apparently watching the news on television. A bowl of apples was located next to the television. Ichigo acknowledged that there was something displeasing about the young man, perhaps the smile. Once more, he felt a flicker of recognition, but the memory slipped away.
 
“Next card. I see. I had assumed that this card would appear at some point. The second part of the answer is The Vampire. `You lust for sex the way vampires desire blood. Base desires overwhelm noble sentiments and you become little more than an animal. There is more chance of you becoming a monster than slaking your sordid passion.' Do I really need to read the final card? The answer seems pretty clear in this one.” Uryu claimed.
 
Ichigo was finding it difficult to remain still. He had taken his hand from Orihime and had moved away from her, the mixture of humiliation and disgust made it difficult to be close to her while his thoughts were exposed. The card Uryu handed him had an unnaturally pale and beautiful youth holding the wrist of a young girl in his hand. He was drawing the hand close to his mouth and the shine of his fangs was faintly detectable as the girl gazed adoringly at his face. The girl had long auburn hair and large brown eyes. He uttered an exclamation of revulsion without intention. Was everything planned to make this more difficult and more unpleasant?
 
“Last card, last card, last card,” chanted the entity. “I want to hear the last card. Speed it up. I like watching the boy fidget as he struggles with his shame. He's even moved away from the girl. She won't want to kiss him again,” chortled the entity.
 
The rest of them were silent. Finding it hard to raise his eyes from the floor, Ichigo was scared to see the expressions people were wearing on their faces. Compassion from Orihime would be unbearable; he expected derision from Renji and Rukia but didn't want to see that anyway. Maybe he could persuade Rukia to use the mind altering device on everyone so they would forget this experience. Heck, he was even prepared to pay her and do her homework until she left.
 
“Final card. That cannot be correct. It's The Handsome Shopkeeper again,” Uryu pushed his glasses off his nose and rubbed his eyes tiredly.
 
Ichigo heard a startled exclamation from Orihime and found he was reaching out a hand to comfort her, but stopped himself in time. She wouldn't want him to touch her, but he was sure that she didn't want to see or hear about that card again.
 
“Stop being a jerk. She doesn't think anything less of you; she knew what you were like before this. This is hurting her as much as it's hurting you, moron. Comfort the poor girl, or I'll kick you hard,” Rukia instructed him harshly.
 
The words made him raise his gaze and he saw that Rukia was correct. Orihime was looking forlorn and abandoned. So very sad. Putting aside his doubts, he moved closer to her. Her eyes were wet and tears were trickling down her cheeks as she tried to stop from sobbing. She kept dabbing at her cheeks, trying to remove the tears, but as soon as they were removed, new tears took their place. Sheepishly, Ichigo put an arm around her shoulder and let her head rest against him. “I'm sorry. I'm an idiot.”
 
Orihime nodded in reply. She didn't look at him, but tried drying her eyes again. Ichigo remembered that Rukia had made a fuss about being prepared and insisted he carry a clean ironed handkerchief. He took it out of his pocket and handed it to the tearful girl beside him. She took it from him with gratitude and wiped her face dry.
 
“Give me a break. I thought I'd driven a wedge between you. Plenty of time to do that yet. So, child, what is the last card?” `Tatsuki' enquired heavily.
 
“It's not The Handsome Shopkeeper. For a moment I was certain that was the card I held, but on re-examining the card I became confused. I believe the card is titled The Hanged Man. No, that cannot be correct.” Glaring at the entity, Uryu enquired with as little politeness as possible, “Would you kindly stop changing the card? There can be no explanation for the variations. It is difficult enough to perform this unnatural fortune telling rite without you providing additional irritation.”
 
The statement caused consternation amongst the others. Changing the card? Had this occurred throughout the game? It would explain certain events, but all the same indicated an unexpected power and tampering. Ichigo dreaded the reading of the last card.
 
“Touchy, aren't we? I was trying to make the game more exciting. If you insist, I will cease and desist, desist and cease, resist and decease, if you will read the card.”
 
“Thank you,” the tart and grudging tone was unmistakable. Uryu was becoming angry. “The last card, if this is the last card and you don't decide we will all have our unspoken questions answered, is The Musician.”
 
“Careful child, your anger may awaken mine and I will do as you suggest,” the slick silky tones held an element of threat implicit in the words.
 
Uryu took a deep breath, let it out slowly and then breathed deeply again. “The Musician plays music for the love of it; or does he play music for the money, the power, the status and the other rewards that come with popularity; or does he handle his instrument for pleasure only? You expect too much in the way of reward for your feeble efforts. Your question is answered in the negative, not now, maybe never.' I think we were all anticipating that answer, were we not? The summary is simple: no sex for Ichigo.”
 
Closing his eyes Ichigo let the breath he hadn't known he was holding be expelled from his lungs. “It could have been much worse, couldn't it? It could have told me I was g….no. It was pretty bad. I hope it's not true.”
 
He felt a hand steal into his. The fingers curled around his palm and he realised that Orihime was still there, providing her encouragement. Not daring to look at her, he squeezed her hand and tightened his arm around her. As she was being so kind, maybe she wouldn't cancel their date on Sunday. If she didn't he'd take her to the ice-cream shop and buy her one of each variety if she wanted. Or maybe they could go to a movie, just the two of them. It didn't' matter what they did; what was important was they spent time together, without other people, or weird entities, interfering.
 
“You've had your fun. Will you get lost?” Rukia asked the entity heatedly. “There's nothing else for you here. You've hurt and humiliated all of us.”
 
“I haven't quite finished. By the Gods, impatience is the folly of fools. Now the penalties. I am inclined to give you another for your attitude, but I am a kind forgiving creature who does not inflict needless pain on others,” The words flowed effortlessly from the mouth of the individual who had been tormenting them for the past hours.
 
“Yeah, right. Needless pain. This whole freaking game has been an attack on us and you say you don't want to cause needless pain. How the hell can you say that? Tell us what the blasted penalties are and leave. I'm sick of you. We're all tired of you,” Renji, whose control over his temper was never steady, had lost his struggle to keep it.
 
“Ooooh. Touchy, touchy Shinigami. The additional penalty I impose is you won't know the nature of the penalties. Because of the sweetness of my nature I was thinking of informing you what the penalties will be, but that won't happen now. You have tried to thwart Fate and Fortune and we do not like arrogant little people who think they have the right to challenge us.” As `Tatsuki' spoke, it sounded like 4 people were speaking at the same time. “Sometimes we come to play in the mortal realm, for eternal life can weary even the Gods and their minions. You were blessed with our presence, but ignored the boon. Suffer your new fates and reflect on your faults. We will meet again.”
 
The strange unsettling ambience that had been present in the room faded gradually as Tatsuki collapsed to the floor, curling into a ball as she sobbed her grief and pain aloud.
 
“It's gone now Tatsuki. Please, don't cry. I know it hurt and you had that thing, those things, in you longer than anyone. You were so brave, fighting all the time. It's hard to tell you how much I admire you. I couldn't have fought back as hard as you did. Please stop crying, Tatsuki. We're all so proud of you.” Orihime had quickly moved to Tatsuki's side and was patting her gently as she tried to comfort her. “Even Renji is impressed, aren't you, Renji?”
 
“Yeah, yeah I am. It's hard to keep fighting against whatever that was,” Renji admitted. His frowning face looked at Tatsuki as if wondering if he could help.
 
“I believe if you listened, the entity was not one creature but four. The three Fates, Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos and Dame Fortune. I wondered why the reactions varied so widely when it spoke,” Uryu was now sitting close to Tatsuki, holding her limp hand in his. “You have risen even higher in my estimation, Tatsuki. Being possessed by those loathsome creatures made my soul and body feel tainted, but your kindness helped. You have no reason to feel shame. No other person I know would have been able to withstand that torment for so long.”
 
Ichigo didn't say anything. What could he add?
 
Orihime rose to her feet, took a towel from a drawer, wet it, and brought it back to Tatsuki. She wiped her face gently and soothed her as the sobs eased. All the time, Uryu and Orihime were uttering soothing, comforting words to the weeping girl until eventually the tears ceased.
 
“I want to go home,” were the first words Tatsuki uttered once she gained control over her emotions. “I don't want to talk about this.”
 
“I would be honoured if you would allow me to escort you home,” Uryu suggested.
 
`I don't care if Renji takes me home. I want to go now. I'll see you later,” Uryu assisted Tatsuki in rising to her feet and with the briefest of goodbyes they left.
 
“I want to go too. We have to return this gigai. Maybe I'll have a word with that shopkeeper. I expect you want to beat him to a pulp next time you see him, don't you kid? I'll leave some of him intact. Come on Rukia. I want to talk to you, like we did the last date.” Renji was opening the door as he spoke.
 
“But I don't have the money to talk to you like that,” Rukia protested.
 
Grabbing her hand, Ichigo slipped some money into it. After tonight he felt generous with all the people who had suffered through that game. Also, if she was caught up with Renji, she might not pay any attention to his absence.
 
Rukia realised that Ichigo was giving her money, paused, smiled at him gladly and hurried after Renji.
 
Finally, Ichigo was alone with Orihime.
 
Author's Note:
 
At last, the darkest part is over. Oh, sorry, I was supposed to tell you what the penalties were, was I? Dear me. What an oversight.
 
Next chapter: Ichigo and Orihime alone? What could happen? (Maybe they'll discuss the influence of Neo-Confucianism on Scientology). What will the penalties be? (Let me see? I've asked that question before.) Is this story actually coming to an end? (Yes, one day) Will there be a sequel? (Ur, what?) Will Uryu kiss Tatsuki again? (Perhaps.)
 
Thank you for the reviews. The next chapter will be back to the date story. Yes, Ichigo and Orihime will go on the date, just the two of them. (Evil smile). You can trust me.
 
Please review. As usual, thank you to the people who have reviewed so far.
 
MS