Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ Sleight of Hand ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
Sleight of Hand
 
Looking around the dining room Ichigo was nonplussed. There was the table with the hole for the feet, quite a big table. It was almost like Hat and Clogs was accustomed to eating with large groups of people. There were scrolls depicting landscapes, some black and white, some coloured and the colour of the cream walls was accented by a soft red on the window and door surrounds. The table was set, quite formally and pots of tea steamed gently on porcelain stands.
 
Renji gave an appreciative exclamation and dragged Rukia to sit next to him, pouring tea with his other hand. Ichigo placed Orihime next to Rukia, and then sat next to her pointedly, not allowing Urahara or Uryu a chance to sit next to his girl. She smiled at him and poured his tea prettily. He smiled and nodded at her agreeably. If he was lucky this meal would be pleasant, but he didn't hold much hope.
 
Urahara sat slightly apart. It was possible he was anticipating another assault on his person. The idea had appeal to Ichigo but he remembered the promise he made to Orihime. Tessai, with the assistance of the two young assistants brought in platters piled high with food. Renji rubbed his hands together with satisfaction and Rukia gave him a stern look.
 
After each of them had filled their plates as desired they ate attentively, none of them conversing until the edge was taken from their hunger. Finally taking his attention from his plate, Ichigo noticed that Urahara was watching him closely. Glaring at the man, he noticed that he turned his attention to Uryu to whom he paid the same close attention. He was eating abstractedly with one hand and stroking Yoruichi with the other. The cat seemed to enjoy the attention, but was not purring. That struck Ichigo as odd, but then it was possible that a cat who could talk did not purr. The cat was occasionally hooking pieces of meat with a clawed paw from a plate set in front of him and chewing them thoughtfully.
 
“You are right Yoruichi. Now I have a chance to observe these young people I can see that there is an extra element to their spirit energy. There is something there that should never be present in a human unless they have been marked for some reason,” he chewed a mouthful of rice thoughtfully. “The question is, why?”
 
“Because we played that stupid game,” Rukia burst out impatiently. “We told you that.”
 
“That's not what I meant. Why were you chosen? The cards are not enough, the Hollow activity is not enough, the full moon is not enough. Combined they could not do this, nor your collective powers. Well, theoretically, I suppose it is possible, but unlikely,” there was a tinge of reproof in his tone. Rukia looked surprised at the implied rebuke.
 
“A Quincy, three Shinigami's, one wild card power and a negligible ability. Remember the combination. Why do I have to remind you, Kisuke? Have you forgotten everything?” The cat was now sitting upright and the steady gaze he turned on the shopkeeper carried a meaning that Ichigo could not interpret. “It's a good thing the giant was not there otherwise the whole situation would be much worse.”
 
Chad grunted a little, and Ichigo wondered if he was not pleased about the previous dates.
 
“Easy there. Yoruichi is right, but even so it's bad enough,” Urahara said and again observed them all closely.
 
“Explain.” Ichigo was fed up with all the hints. Either the guy explained or he'd pour him some tea, directly into his lap.
 
“A series of unconnected actions became connected and this happened,” Urahara said, briefly.
 
“I think it has been possible for the most unintelligent of us to glean that information from your ambiguous comments. Now you should supply detail,” Uryu said, his glasses gleaming in the light.
 
“It's so rare to find Quincy powers and the reiatsu is different. Pretty Miss Orihime's spirit energy is also unusual, but I never thought…. It is almost like it was going to happen no matter what you did,” Urahara said and then lapsed into silence as he thought. “I need some sake,” he said and called for Tessai to provide the beverage.
 
After he'd drunk a cup or two he sighed loudly. “I wanted to try a new type of fortune telling. I'd formed a few ideas and suddenly more were flowing through my mind faster than normal. That alone should have alerted me because I think fast, but the pace increased so that within a day I had outlined all the cards meanings. It could have ended there because I needed someone to design the pictures. That day a note was dropped onto the counter advertising the services of a graphic designer via the internet,” another cup was poured and drunk.
 
“This was when I was elsewhere?” Yoruichi asked the shopkeeper.
 
“Yes. I got onto the website, saw examples of the art and then sent my request to the email address. I paid over the net too. The pictures arrived within a few days and it didn't dawn on me even then that they were too close to my vision of how the cards would be.” His face creased in disgust. “I was used. It was all set up. I was going to mention it to Tessai, but every time I saw him I forgot about it. I don't usually forget things that easily.”
 
Ichigo noticed that Orihime was leaning forward, a sweet expression of concern on her face. “Mr Urahara, you poor man. You were only the means to create the cards. It could have happened to anyone.”
 
“Steady on, girl. The man's still a pervert though this does change things,” Renji said as he placed his arm around Rukia and pulled her head onto his shoulder. Rukia immediately pulled away.
 
“I'm still eating, Renji,” she scolded him and then turned to the shopkeeper. “So you're saying that it's not your fault. Is that right?” was the challenge she issued. Looking at her Ichigo knew she didn't believe him.
 
“I do not agree with your theory that it could have happened to anyone,” Uryu mused aloud. He looked gently at Orihime. “It would have to be someone who fulfilled the requirements. Some person with the ability and a reason,” he stopped, cleared his throat and gave Urahara a very cool look. “What was your motive?”
 
Urahara immediately hid his face behind his fan. “I had no motive, no reason. The game was meant to turn a profit for me and now all I can see are difficulties. I was just theorising about new methods of increasing my income that would be fun and lucrative. It was one weekend when Tessai had taken Jinta and Ururu somewhere and I found myself at a loose end.”
 
“Loose end? That loose end made problems for my friends. I think you are hiding something,” was the suggestion from Chad. His normal sleepy look was replaced by the expression of a man who was ready to take action.
 
“You're always more dangerous when you are playing with ideas. I think we should make certain that you're never alone again,” Yoruichi growled. He was glaring at the shopkeeper and he shrugged, pulling the fan up so that his eyes were nearly concealed.
 
“You could always stay here permanently and make certain that I make no mistakes,” he suggested smoothly. His voice had a caressing quality that seemed out of place when talking to a cat.
 
“Ur, what do you mean?” Ichigo was confused. A cat normally stayed with its owner and didn't stray unless it was badly treated, stolen, bored or hunting. Then he remembered that this was a talking cat that seemed to act more like a human and displayed more intelligence than some of his classmates.
 
“Cats own their humans, not the other way,” Orihime said quietly, her eyes admiring the cat. “I wish I was lucky enough to be owned by a talking cat.”
 
“Yoruichi is out of the ordinary,” Urahara said dismissively. “Stay,” he urged the cat with an astonishing fervour in his voice.
 
“I thought we were talking about the game, not about your abnormal relationships with `felines',” Rukia said a small smile curving her lips.
 
“It matters little about the genesis of the game, we are concerned with the penalties and how all the elements combined for this turn of events,” Uryu sounded peeved. “Can we concentrate on that instead of the ephemeral dialogue?”
 
“Small wonder the Quincy's were wiped out if they were all like you,” muttered Renji in a not very quiet aside.
 
“And if all Shinigami were like you, there would be many more Hollows,” Uryu replied. “Souls would choose to become Hollow in order to have a chance to consume you.” His expression was cold and Renji immediately began to react until Rukia slapped his hand and he resumed his seat.
 
“Hey, enough,” Ichigo said not wanting anymore fighting tonight, not unless he could get involved. “Let's find out what's happening and stop sniping at each other.”
 
Rukia giggled and after a moment Chad gave a bark of laughter.
 
“Trying to impress Orihime, eh, Ichigo,” Rukia said still giggling. Her face was alight with merriment and Renji relaxed at her amusement. At least her joke had diffused the situation, a little.
 
All the same, Ichigo felt his face flush. It wasn't true, well it was only partly true and why did Rukia feel she had to draw attention to it? This was meant to be a serious thing, where they managed to find out what was happening, not a time to score points off each other. He scowled at her. “I'm trying to cut through all the garbage and get an answer, Rukia. You're not helping. So either shut up or help.”
 
He turned to Orihime and said, “You want to know, don't you? Why are we playing along, talking about cats that can speak, or how the cursed game was created? That's not what I want to know. I want to know about the penalties, what they mean and how we avoid them.”
 
Orihime did not meet his gaze; instead she seemed to be more interested in the pattern of the plate from which she was eating. Ichigo immediately realised why, it sounded like he was accusing her of being focused on something other than the problem as she had entered the discussion about talking cats.
 
“I didn't mean you, Orihime”, he said quickly feeling a little guilty about the situation. “I want to get the solution and go home. Worrying about the possible consequences makes me antsy.”
 
She nodded slightly, still not meeting his eyes, but slowly she raised her face. “I, too, want to know, Ichigo. I'm scared.”
 
“So, you gonna to tell us now, or what?” Renji asked impertinently. He had released his normal hold on Rukia and was leaning over the table toward Urahara.
 
“No.”
 
Ichigo found he was on his feet and Orihime was trying to prevent him from punching the shopkeeper again. The simple refusal broke his tight control and he wanted to see blood, lots of it, spilling from this man who was being difficult. It was not his life. He didn't have some unspecified penalties hanging over his head. He could afford to be blasé.
 
“What Kisuke means is he can't tell you what the penalties are,” the cat shook his head in disgust and turned to face his friend. “Sometimes I wonder if you need lessons in communication. These kids are tense enough without you stringing them along.”
 
Urahara shrugged and then spoke. “I'm not doing it on purpose. I can't tell them what the penalties are. Only Dame Fortune and the Fates know that. I can try to find out but it will take time, maybe a few days and even then I might not find out anything. Dealing with those forces can be perilous at best.”
 
“You're telling us?” Ichigo didn't even try to hide his increasing rage. “Great. So even if you try,” he emphasised the `if', “we might find out nothing. Would they consider not punishing us?”
 
Urahara looked at Yoruichi who steadily returned his gaze. They appeared to be communicating and their gazes were locked for some seconds.
 
“Trying to convince either the Fates or Dame Fortune of anything usually doesn't work, unless you have something to offer them. Something valuable.” Yoruichi said slowly, the words leaving his mouth reluctantly.
 
“Gold? Jewels? Manuscripts?” Chad's voice was terse. Even so there was a slightly mocking quality as if he was having trouble believing that this conversation was taking place.
 
“Beings with those powers would have no interest in such items,” Uryu said. He looked at Chad and then Urahara. “I remember what they said. They are bored and want amusement.”
 
“That's not exactly what they said,” Orihime contradicted quietly. “It was something about playing in the moral realm because eternal life wearied them. But I think you are right. They wanted amusement and were often disappointed with us when we reacted in a way different to the way they expected.”
 
“That should have been amusing,” Chad spotted the flaw in the protestations, “unpredictable reactions.”
 
“Not really, no. Not for beings of this calibre,” Urahara said reluctantly. Then he raised his voice and called, “Tessai.”
 
Within seconds the man was in the room looking at everyone keenly. `Fate and Fortune,” he said and whistled.
 
“You were listening?” Renji did not seem pleased at this realisation.
 
“I asked him to,” Urahara admitted with a slight touch of guilt. “He has mastered all forms of kido and excels any other practitioner I've come across. He's also very good at other things.”
 
“What's kido?” Chad asked. “Is it like kendo?”
 
Ichigo become conscious he'd never asked that question and felt he should have. Rukia had used it on him the first time they had met when she'd babbled something about it being a spell and something to do with demons but he hadn't taken it in.
 
“Kido are spells which can perform many functions, for example binding, attacking and healing. Kido is prized among Shinigami as it can be used in conjunction with physical attacks, reinforcing the strength of the person who can master the spells.” Tessai explained.
 
“And you're a master?” Renji looked a little dazed. “How come you know this stuff?”
 
At the question Tessai looked abashed and gulped slightly. He opened his mouth as if seeking words to reply but another voice interrupted.
 
“None of your business,” Yoruichi snapped. “Your kido ability is small and you should work on mastering the technique. It's pure laziness on your part, probably because of your sojourn in 11th Division.”
 
It was Renji's turn to gulp and he stared at the cat in consternation. “How do you know so much about me? And what about your name? I heard of a Yoruichi and a Tessai in the Seireitei…”
 
“I believe you asked that we stick to the point earlier,” Urahara interrupted hurriedly. “As Tessai has this ability I wondered if he might be able to assist us in contacting Fate and Fortune or at least of finding a way of negating their power over you. Well, Tessai. Can you help?”
 
Tessai observed them carefully. His brow creased as he looked at Rukia, his lips forming a question but he stopped as Urahara cleared his throat. Renji was only flicked a glance but Tessai seemed very interested in Uryu, Ichigo and Orihime. He scratched his chin and observed them all again, his breathing shallowed and the frown now covered his forehead. Taking off his glasses he rubbed his eyes and looked at them once more. Slowly he shook his head.
 
Ichigo felt his stomach plummet. There was no help to be found here and he'd wasted time.
 
“I'm not sure,” Tessai said. “It's complicated and will require more than kido to solve. Research, I have to do some research because I believe I've read something once that might help.” He replaced his glasses and shut his eyes as if he was trying to remember something.
 
“Read? In what? A magic book? A grimory? An ancient religious text?” Rukia was eager to know the answer and Renji grinned at her enthusiasm.
 
Ichigo allowed hope to rise again but Tessai shook his head at all the suggestions.
 
“I think it was a fairy tale or a myth or legend of some type,” he said thoughtfully. “It was some time ago and I can't really be sure….”
 
“This is not a joking matter,” Uryu said abruptly. “You're mocking us and this is serious.” He was standing now, offence evident in his voice and face. His cheeks showed a flush of colour.
 
“I am being serious. Many myths conceal a secret, just like nursery rhymes often contain a deeper meaning. Education should have taught you that,” Tessai dismissed Uryu's anger with a wave. “I need time. Come back on Sunday after the sun has set and I might have an answer for you then.” He left the room without further comment.
 
“Does that guy know what he's talking about?” Renji demanded. His face had reddened somewhat and he glared at Urahara.
 
Taking his time, the shopkeeper sipped some tea and ate some more rice, his eyes hooded by his eyelids. Taking advantage of the silence and trying to fill that empty feeling with his stomach Ichigo emptied a few dishes onto his plate and ate them, not caring what he chewed. Renji immediately copied him, unwilling to allow him to finish all the remaining food. Orihime toyed with her teacup and chopsticks, anxiety showing through her jerky movements while Rukia moodily moved her food around the plate. Uryu sat down and played with his Quincy chain and Chad methodically ate the rest of the food in front of him. The tension built in the room, but Yoruichi seemed unaffected, curling up and appearing to nap.
 
Ichigo stopped eating, finally grasping that no amount of food in his stomach would help. He would still experience that hole that was created by fear.
 
“I trust Tessai,” the shopkeeper finally said, his words easing some of the tension. “His mind holds so much information that most people could not comprehend. If there is anything that he can find to help you, be assured that he will. Unlike me, he is not easily distracted.” The fan was back, flipping flirtatiously in front of his face. “Is there anything more I can do for you?” he asked archly.
 
“No.” Ichigo prepared to rise from the table and leave. “See you on Sunday and you better have an answer.”
 
“Threats don't scare me,” Urahara said.
 
“Nor should they,” Uryu's voice was icy. “I don't threaten, but I will act.”
 
“Give Mr Urahara a chance and Mr Tessai. I'm certain they will try to help,” Orihime said. “Thank you for dinner. It was nice,” she bit her lip and nodded slightly.
 
“Yes, thanks,” Rukia said as she dragged Renji to his feet. “You better go back,” she told him and he nodded and moved out of the room.
 
Before they left the shop, Rukia had forced Urahara, by some means, to provide them with some official looking letters stating they had medical conditions that might require them to leave the room hurriedly. Ichigo refused to look at his, knowing that he wouldn't like what ever condition he'd been `diagnosed' as having. At least it might get the teachers and principal off his back. The only positive thing was the man hadn't asked for money in return for the letters, but Ichigo believed there might be an additional charge on the gigai upkeep. When would they manage to get out of debt to the man?
 
Walking home, Orihime and Ichigo trailed behind the others, their fingers intertwined. Thinking of recent events he felt unhappy. “I'm not looking forward to Sunday,” Ichigo confessed to Orihime. “I'd hoped we could spend the day together, just having fun, but with this dangling over our heads and the whole group thing I don't know if it'll be easy.”
 
Orihime hesitated and then replied. “It's only a short time until Sunday, Ichigo. I'm sure that Mr Yoruichi will make certain that we get help. I trust him.”
 
Her words struck him and made him agree. “Yeah, you're right,” then he laughed. “We trust a talking cat, but we don't trust his owner.”
 
Orihime giggled slightly and Rukia demanded to know what the joke was. Only Rukia smiled at the reply, Uryu continued to look prissy and Chad's expression did not lighten at all.
 
“Now I know there's a reason not to look forward to this date,” he said quietly to Orihime. “Chad and Ishida are going to be no fun.”
 
“I'm sure they will be, especially if Ryo agrees and if Tatsuki can recover from last night. I'll talk to both of them.”
 
“You can't mention anything about last night to Ryo, she wouldn't understand,” Chad broke in. “I'm not sure I do.”
 
“Not one of us really understands,” Uryu said. Ichigo noticed that he seemed even more dour than normal.
 
“But you will be spending time with Tatsuki on Sunday,” Rukia teased. It was evident that she was looking forward to spending time with Renji, even if it meant they were with others. “Is there a Tunnel of Love ride?” she asked Orihime.
 
“You've been watching too much television,” Ichigo said. Tunnel of Love? If there was one, maybe he could sit next to Orihime. But wasn't it traditional that they would kiss in the Ferris wheel? Maybe both? Both would be better than one.
 
“Kon told me about it,” was the reply and Ichigo chuckled.
 
“You'd believe him?”
 
“But there is a Tunnel of Love ride. I know there is,” Her hands clenched on each side of her body, Orihime looked at her friends. She seemed very serious about a matter that should be treated lightly.
 
“We will find out on Sunday. This is your place, Orihime,” Chad said.
 
They waited until Orihime entered her apartment and closed the door. Then they went their separate ways, Ichigo brooding that the presence of the others deprived him of a chance to kiss Orihime good night. He felt certain that she would be too shy to kiss him in front of so many people.
 
ooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo
 
Sunday dawned dull and grey to match Ichigo's spirit. The past few days had been difficult as he tried to drag his mind away from Fate and Fortune. There had been many huddled discussions with Rukia, Orihime, Tatsuki and Uryu, but nothing had been resolved. A weary feeling of resignation seemed to settle over them as the time passed and they heard nothing from Urahara. Rukia had gone to visit the shop only to find it closed and no amount of knocking brought any answer. This news made them feel worse.
 
“Do you think he's left? He knows it's bad and doesn't want to face us?” Ichigo had asked again at break on Saturday.
 
“I don't know,” Rukia sounded tired. “Stop asking the same question over and over. Every time you open your mouth I expect you to ask that and half the time I'm correct. I know as much as you do, Ichigo and I don't see why you think I know more than you.”
 
“I keep asking because you're the Shinigami. I'm only your stand-in, remember? Have you heard from Renji?” Ichigo smarted under the rebuke but still asked another question.
 
“That's the other question you keep asking,” Rukia pushed her hair off her forehead and rolled her eyes. “I'll say it again, slowly, so maybe this time you'll listen. I've heard nothing. I know no more than you do and if you ask me again I'll pound you in front of Orihime.”
 
“That's alright, Rukia. I've seen you do it before. Ichigo makes funny faces when you're kicking him,” Orihime said, her mind obviously not on what she was saying. She flushed and covered her mouth. “Um. I mean I'm sure Ichigo will stop asking the questions.”
 
“He's showing the classic signs of anxiety with a slight touch of paranoia,” Uryu said. “There appears to be nothing unusual,” his lips curved in a malicious smile as Ichigo spluttered while swallowing the juice he was drinking as he tried to think of a reply.
 
“You're meant to swallow the juice, Ichigo,” Chad said solidly and then smiled. “Sometimes your antics are as amusing as Keigo's.”
 
“Thanks Chad. I'll keep that in mind next time some bunch of jerks try to cream you,” Ichigo said, not really meaning it. Then he thought of a question he hadn't asked his friend. “Did you get the date with Ryo? You hadn't talked to her yesterday. Worried about getting rejected? You could ask Rukia to `help,'” was his final sally as he recalled how Rukia had assisted him.
 
Chad nodded. “As soon as I mentioned that Tatsuki, Rukia and Orihime would be present, she agreed. She did make it clear that she is not my date, but is coming to make up the numbers.”
 
No one could miss the grin that spread over Rukia's face. “I sort of mentioned it to her yesterday and explained everything. Don't worry Chad, she likes you. She told me specifically not to tell yo…..Ooops.”
 
“Yet another reason not to confide in Rukia,” Ichigo thought dryly.
 
That had been yesterday. When he arrived home from school he did not dodge his father's attack and fell heavily to the floor, acting more wounded than he was. Yuzu had rushed to his side and began to sob while Karin scolded her father for his stupidity. It hadn't been easy to prevent his reflexes from kicking in, but it paid off. Isshin, in a fit of guilt at hurting his son in front of his sisters, immediately gave Ichigo the money he asked for, in fact more without asking the reason. Finally, one thing had worked out. His guilt ploy had gone according to plan, but he still got the bruises.
 
The week of waiting was over. The date and then the verdict. He wasn't sure which he dreaded more.
 
 
Author's Note:
 
 
Next chapter: Has Urahara run away? (Well, that's an interesting thought.) Will Tatsuki and Ryo turn up? (Maybe.) Did Ichigo get enough money to subsidise Rukia and Renji? (Yes.) Is there a Tunnel of Love at the amusement park? (Let's wait and find out.) What will Tessai tell them? (If he hasn't run away.)
 
Please review. I was a little disappointed at the lack of reviews for the last chapter.
 
Only three more chapters to go!
 
MS