Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ Prohibitions and Penalties ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
 
Prohibitions and Penalties
 
For this date Ichigo had thought about what he was going to wear, even though he still felt like staying at home. If Orihime had agreed to his whispered suggestion that they both develop viruses and go on their own date, he would have felt happier.
 
“I can't do that. Tatsuki expects me to be there and so does Ryo,” she said, her eyes wide with astonishment at his suggestion.
 
“They can be there for each other. Come on Orihime,” he urged hoping she would see sense and agree with him. “Our date was hijacked and I want to take it back.”
 
“No. I'd like to, Ichigo, but I promised. I don't break promises. We have our own date on Tuesday,” she said, sounding conciliatory.
 
Her concern made him sigh and he rubbed his head irritably. “It's because I want to spend time alone with you. Each time I try to date you something gets in the way and more people get invited.” He wondered why he was explaining. She knew the situation.
 
Thinking about the conversation he slowly dressed, picked up his wallet filled with the money Isshin had pressed on him the previous night and then went downstairs for breakfast. There was no need to rush as they were meeting at the train station at 9.30.
 
He ignored the breakfast conversation, brooding instead on whether there would be any help coming from Urahara's shop. Even when the sun broke through the clouds as he ate another piece of toast, the day remained dull and so did his spirits. The news on the television was about depressing topics like the price of petrol and a war in some country. He tuned it out and wondered listlessly if Tuesday would ever arrive and if there was the slim chance he might manage to have one uncomplicated date before he turned another year older.
 
“See you,” he muttered as he left. The instructions of his family flitted past his ears and he did not register their meaning. It didn't matter anyway. The day was doomed.
 
Rukia was waiting at the train station as were the others. She had already left by the time he got up and she was holding Renji's hand, smiling at him adoringly as he bent down to gaze into her eyes. The two of them were sickening. They had their time alone and the dates. It didn't seem right!
 
“Urahara must be back,” Ichigo thought, “otherwise Renji would not be in the gigai. I wonder if Rukia found heard anything.” He opened his mouth to ask but Rukia shook her head at him, answering his question before he could voice it.
 
He approached Orihime who turned and smiled at him. “Hello. Isn't it a lovely day? I'm looking forward to this so much. I want to go on all the rides and eat fairy floss and hot dogs and toffee apples at the same time,” then she covered her mouth and giggled.
 
His mouth stretching into a smile at her enthusiasm, Ichigo decided she was right, except he didn't want to sample the food all at once as she suggested. It was a lovely day, but only made so by her smile and obvious joy. She looked so pretty and lively. Once again he gave Rukia silent thanks for insisting he ask Orihime on a date in the first place, not that he'd ever tell her. Fate and Fortune would do what they wanted and worrying about it would be a waste of a day. Tonight would reveal its secrets, but that was later. He took Orihime's hand in his own. “It is a good day.”
 
“Hi, Ichigo,” Ryo said, her mouth turned upwards with amusement.
 
The others greeted him heartily and he answered them while still focused on Orihime. It didn't matter if the others were there; he was suddenly feeling good about the date.
 
Arriving at the park they waited a few moments for the gates to open. Slowly it began to dawn on Ichigo that everyone seemed unusually full of life. Even Uryu was smiling and making a few weak jokes to Tatsuki who was laughing in response and capping his jokes with hers. Chad was grinning at Ryo who was talking to him with obvious pleasure.
 
“It's probably the sunshine and whatever,” he thought, dismissing the slight niggle of concern he felt at this strange good humour. It was then he noticed that he was smiling.
 
“I feel very happy today. When I woke up this morning I felt sad but now I'm looking forward to everything,” Orihime told him and he nodded.
 
“I felt the same but now I'm feeling good.” Ichigo said, ignoring the small worry fidgeting in the back of his skull.
 
They paid the entrance fee and Ichigo watched amazed as Rukia managed to pay her own and Renji's admission. Once inside they clustered together, discussing what they wanted to do. It was unanimous. They all wanted to go on the rollercoaster, guaranteed to become busier as the day went on.
 
Joining the queue, Ichigo was pleased they hadn't left it until later. The signs indicated were they would have to wait at least 10 minutes before they would have their turn, but he put his arm around Orihime and she leant against him. Dragging his attention away from her for a few minutes, he noticed that the others had split into their designated couples and each of them seemed only to notice the person they were with.
 
“After this, why don't we see if everyone wants to do their own thing and we could spend some time together,” he suggested softly, his mouth inches from Orihime's ear. This close he could smell the fruit that perfumed her shampoo. It smelt like melon and berry, a scent he now found very pleasant.
 
He watched as Orihime looked at the others and she nodded in response. “If everyone is happy to do that, I would be too,” she said the smile brightening her already happy face.
 
The ride was too short. Orihime held his hand the whole time as she screamed loudly with a mixture of excitement and terror as they were turned upside down and then went down the longest dip very fast. Ichigo kept his lips firmly shut and his teeth clenched so no sound of fear escaped. Heck, he wasn't scared of a roller coaster. Hollows were more terrifying. “This is far safer, really,” he told himself, as they went backwards and travelled at high speed around the 360 degree loop.
 
Once the ride was over they wandered over to a vendor selling fairy floss and they each bought some.
 
“Tatsuki and I are planning on visiting the arcade. She has informed me that she will trounce me at some game and I must demonstrate that she is mistaken,” Uryu said, his hand wrapped around one of Tatsuki's.
 
“You'll lose badly, Uryu. Just wait,” Tatsuki said, a fervid glitter in her eyes as she smiled at the Quincy.
 
“We're going to the Hall of Mirrors,” Ryo told them. “I like mazes and Chad told me he never gets lost.”
 
“Renji wants to go on the roller coaster again,” Rukia said. “I told him we will have to queue.”
 
“I don't care about that. I think I can find some way to entertain myself,” Renji said and embraced Rukia tightly.
 
All these plans made Ichigo feel much better. “How about we meet for lunch, see how we're going?” he suggested. “We'll meet at 12.30 near the merry-go-round.”
 
They all agreed and left, which meant Ichigo and Orihime were alone together. “What do you want to do Orihime?”
 
She glanced at him from under her eyelashes, looking endearingly shy and cute. “I'd like to find the Tunnel of Love, Ichigo.”
 
He felt a large grin spilt his face. “Would you? I don't think I'd mind that.” Taking her hand in his, they wandered off, hopefully in the right direction.
 
As they passed a basketball skill game Orihime stopped, transfixed at the sight of a large stuffed figure of a duck. “It looks like that duck or whatever it is from One Piece,” she exclaimed with excitement. `I've loved reading the manga you loaned me. I wish I could have one of the dolls, it would be something that I could hug at night.”
 
“You mean Caru? Yeah it does a bit. But why do you like that creature?” Ichigo had not given the character much thought.
 
“Because it's loyal and brave. Well brave most of the time. It's hard to explain, but I feel that the duck is most like me,” she said and stopped, her eyes wide as she realised what she was saying.
 
Ichigo found he was shaking his head as he tried to stop smiling at her last comment. Orihime identified with a duck! That just seemed odd, but so like her. Of all the strange creatures contained in the manga Orihime chose one creature which had a minor role and thought it was most like her. She was wrong, but he opted to indulge her. “I'll win it for you,” he offered wanting to give her something that would make her remember the day. If she hugged it when she was sleeping maybe she would dream about him.
 
“Oh, would you Ichigo? Do you think you can? These games are expensive and I don't know anyone who wins,” she sounded both eager and hesitant.
 
How could he have ignored her sweetness? He had been so blind to her good qualities because of stupid reasons but now he had the chance he would take advantage of it. By the end of the day he planned to ask her to trial going on regular dates, without other people. Maybe after a few more dates he'd ask her to be his girlfriend, but that was for later. He didn't want to rush into anything. When he remembered his original reasons for agreeing to the demand from Rukia he felt a little ashamed. He'd only looked at external person and had not seen the true depths of her character. Now he appreciated that she wasn't someone to be used and discarded.
 
“Every player wins a prize,” the female stallholder stated encouragingly. “See how easy it is?” were her words as she demonstrated showing her skills. “Just get the ball through the hoop and you win.”
 
“I know I can do it. Just wait and you'll see,” he assured Orihime quietly. Paying the money to the stall operator he felt a momentary doubt about this. Not all these games were as easy as they appeared on first try. Deciding that he wouldn't win on his first attempt he used the 3 throws as a way of gauging the best way of scoring the necessary points. The balls felt slightly peculiar as he held them, nothing that he would have normally noticed, but the weight in them seemed to shift slightly. He adjusted for that. After the first try he had scored very few points, but had worked out a way to compensate for the shifting weight.
 
“How much to win the duck?” was the question he asked in, trying to sound innocent.
 
The stall holder glanced over at the stuffed toy. “Oh, that? It's one of the top prizes and you'll have to score over 200 points,” a smile crossed the woman's face as she contemplated how much Ichigo would need to spend under normal conditions to make up that number of points.
 
“And how many points per hoop?” he requested smiling blandly, while a frown wrinkled his forehead.
 
“20.”
 
“I need to score 20 hoops to make it,” Ichigo commented aloud as he thought. “The price per game is 500 yen per three tries which would mean the duck will basically cost 33,000 yen. That's pretty expensive for a stuffed toy.”
 
“If you pay 1,000 yen you get 7 tries instead of 6. Or I'll sell it to you for 200,000,” the woman said obviously anticipating that Ichigo would fail.
 
“Tell you what. I'll pay you 20,000 yen and you let me have 20 tries. Has anyone ever won the top prize in 20 goes?” Ichigo began to bait the trap and watched the woman bite her lip as she looked at him. A small grin crossed her mouth as she thought about it.
 
“Okay, just for you because you're my first customer. I always give special discounts to the first person to try. If you don't win the price goes back up,” she bargained.
 
Ichigo handed her the money, noting that she hadn't replied to his question. It was obvious that no one had ever won the top prize easily. Taking the first ball, he weighed it in his hands and threw it at the right angle with the right amount of pressure.
 
“Wow, Ichigo, you did it,” Orihime said, the surprise evident in her voice. “I didn't know you were any good at basketball.”
 
Ichigo just grinned at her, not responding and glanced at the stall holder. She didn't seem too worried; it was after only one lucky shot. “Lucky fella, aren't you?” she said as she handed him the next ball.
 
10 shots later, she was looking concerned and a crowd was gathering to watch. They talked quietly amongst themselves and cheered every time the ball went through the hoop. Ichigo had managed to score half the number of points required and was squaring up for his next shot. As he aimed, the woman coughed loudly, but Ichigo had prepared for that and made the points. There were a few angry mutterings from the watching crowd, but they took no action. By the time he had two more shots left the stall holder was looking worried. She had tried switching the balls, but he compensated for that. As time had passed the crowd had grown even larger and she muttered darkly under her breath, aware that any attempts to interfere would be observed.
 
“I think you're cheating,” she accused as he positioned himself for the final shot.
 
“How can I cheat? I'm standing further back from the line than I have to; I'm just shooting at the hoop which is what you told me to do. Every player wins a prize,” he repeated back at her with a quick smile at the observers. “See how easy it is?” and he threw the final ball which sailed through the hoop effortlessly.
 
The crowd cheered him and a number of males thumped him on the back, exclaiming they'd never seen anyone do that.
 
Orihime clapped her hands in delight. “You did it, Ichigo! I can't believe how clever you are.”
 
“My prize, please,” Ichigo said while grinning like a fool at the compliment.
 
“Certainly, Sir,” the stall holder said, a fake, strained smile marring her face as she tried to make the best of it. She grabbed a small ladder and retrieved the duck which she handed over to Orihime who accepted it with a beaming smile and many thanks.
 
“Hey, give me a go,” one of the bystanders demanded.
 
“Me too,” said another waving money around in an urgent fashion.
 
More people clustered at the front of the stall, inspired by Ichigo's apparent good luck. As he had made it appear so easy to win they were keen to try their luck and win a prize. The stall keeper's eyes lit up at the sudden business that came her way and a genuine smile crossed her face as she began to rake in the money.
 
As Ichigo turned away, after slipping an arm around Orihime's waist, he shook his head. It was unlikely any of the other punters would win a prize as easily as he had. The game was rigged, but in the owner's favour. He had won because he could use his additional senses and skills to make certain that the ball hit the target every time.
 
“Thank you so much Ichigo. No one has ever tried to win a prize for me before and he's so cute. I love him,” she kissed his cheek quickly while hugging him close with one arm while the other clutched the duck.
 
“Hey, if that's the reward I'll win more prizes for you,” Ichigo said. Her occasional spontaneous gestures of affection delighted him and he wished they were more regular. At least he could pretend that this was their date while the others were off pleasing themselves.
 
Orihime's lashes shielded her eyes and she pulled away from his arm. “I didn't mean…,” then she looked into his face. “If you don't want me to kiss you Ichigo, I understand.”
 
“I want you to kiss me,” he said without thinking about the consequences as he held her hand. “I thought I'd made that obvious. Whenever you feel the urge, Orihime, do it.”
 
She covered her mouth as she giggled at his reply.
 
“I mean it.” The seriousness of his tone made it plain that he meant his words.
 
There was a pause as Orihime kept her eyes fixed on the ground. Ichigo wondered if he had moved too fast and wondered how he could recover from his mistake. She seemed to be thinking very seriously about something and it occurred to him that she might decide that it was time to leave. Hell, he'd blown his chance.
 
“Okay, Ichigo,” Orihime said in a very small voice.
 
Relieved, he grabbed her hand. “Let's find the Tunnel of Love,” Ichigo suggested, deciding that changing the topic might lighten the mood. He wanted them both to be happy even though his recent comment was more of a declaration of his feelings for her than he'd planned.
 
Turning the corner he saw the sign. “It's just ahead,” he said tugging at her hand encouraging her to move faster.
 
The queue was very small. “People probably prefer the more exciting rides,” he murmured to Orihime.
 
“More people leave this ride until the end of their date, I think studies have shown,” a familiar voice spoke from somewhere close.
 
“I thought Tatsuki was going to beat you at some game,” Ichigo said, not pleased that Uryu and Tatsuki had also chosen this time to go on the ride.
 
“I did and that meant I got to choose the next ride. I thought we might find Orihime here, so I suggested we come along for the trip,” Tatsuki said brightly.
 
“You beat me only by a small margin. If we had continued I am sure that I would have easily achieved victory,” was the smiling reply from Uryu. “As Tatsuki was so keen to sample this ride, I thought I would acquiesce to her pleading.”
 
“Oh, great. Get in front of us and you get on the ride first,” Ichigo said waving at them to take the place in front. Orihime looked at him, obviously confused by his gesture.
 
Tatsuki gave Ichigo a sharp look. “Why are you letting us get in front? Are you a voyeur, or don't you want us to see what you're doing?”
 
“What do you think?” Ichigo decided that honesty might work.
 
“Hey, Uryu, Ichigo, what are you doing here?” Renji demanded joining the queue.
 
“It's the penalties starting to work, I know it,” Ichigo muttered under his breath. “I thought you were going on the roller coaster,” he said to Renji and Rukia.
 
“We did and we were going to for the third time, but Renji threw up. I thought we should try something a little calmer,” Rukia said innocently, her eyes sparkling.
 
“Thanks for telling everyone. Can't you keep anything quiet?” Renji demanded angrily of his date.
 
She smiled and gave him an insolent look. “Why should I? It was funny watching you turn white, then green and then you ran off, sweating and swearing. I never thought you'd be such a wimp,” Rukia said and ruffled Renji's hair. “One mother was shocked at your language.”
 
“It wasn't the ride that made me puke. It was the hot dogs and the toffee apple and the lemonade you made me have,” Renji said. After naming the items he turned white again and beads of perspiration formed on his face.
 
“If you are going to regurgitate again, I would advise you to use the facilities,” Uryu said dryly, pointing in the direction of the said building.
 
“I didn't make you eat them. I suggested you might like to try them. You didn't have to eat as much as you did,” was Rukia's response. “Then you insisted on the ice-cream and another hot dog before we went on the ride.”
 
At the mention of the ice-cream Renji's complexion became even whiter and he made a mad dash for the restroom, nearly tripping over Chad who had arrived with Ryo. Even through his amusement, Ichigo noticed that Chad was holding Ryo's hand.
 
“That was fast,” Ichigo thought. “I'd never have thought these two would have anything in common. And how did Uryu get into Tatsuki's good graces so quickly? What's going on?”
 
“What is wrong with Renji?” Chad asked with interest. “I did not know he could move so fast. Is he an athlete?”
 
Ichigo stifled a groan. So much for his plans to have a quiet interlude with Orihime, unobserved by his friends. All he needed was Keigo and his other school mates, or even his family to turn up. Given the way this date was going, it wouldn't surprise him. Even so, he didn't feel too dejected. At least Orihime was holding his hand and leaning against him slightly. He decided to let everyone go on the boats in front, so they could have some measure of privacy.
 
“He acted like a pig and ate too much. Cute toy, Orihime. Where did you get it?” Rukia said quickly changing the subject.
 
“Ichigo won it for me. Isn't it sweet? I love it. It looks like Caru,” Orihime explained while cuddling the duck close with one arm. “Aren't you worried about Renji?”
 
“He's not as charming as that toy and anyway, Renji did it to himself. He's such a fool when it comes to food that I thought he might learn a lesson if he stuffed himself until he was sick.” Crossing her arms across her chest, Rukia glanced towards the toilets. Despite her word, the crease between her eyes indicated a small amount of concern. “But I only thought he'd be sick once,” she said more quietly.
 
“I will go and assist Renji,” Chad said. “I'm sure if he drinks some water and breathes deeply he will be fine.” Acting on his suggestion he walked toward the building which Renji had entered a few minutes before.
 
“Do you want to go too, Uryu? Maybe you could have a male bonding session while Renji vomits. You could hold his hair back for him,” was Tatsuki's cynical observation.
 
“I think I will remain with you instead, Tatsuki. We are nearly at the front of this line and I thought you were interested in taking this ride,” the meaningful look he cast at her made her blush slightly and then she laughed nervously.
 
“I wanted to see how lame it could be,” she explained, shrugging her shoulders. “I've never been on one before,” but the excuse convinced no one, not even Ichigo.
 
Her easy explanation made Ichigo wonder. “The problems that are the result of the Fate and Fortune Hazard game seem to have vanished. Come to think of it, no one has mentioned it at all today and that seems wrong. Surely they're worried about the penalties? Or maybe they think Ryo might ask some difficult question if it's mentioned.”
 
“I believe you,” Uryu said a sly smile on his face. He assisted Tatsuki in getting into the small boat. Watching them Ichigo wondered about the others. Renji and Chad were still in the men's room which meant that logically Orihime and he should take the next boat.
 
“Do you want us to wait?” he asked Rukia, wondering if she wanted their company.
 
“Why? Get going. You're holding up the line,” Rukia said laughing. “Renji will be fine. Maybe he'll learn something for a change.”
 
Grudgingly Ichigo assisted Orihime into the boat, hoping that Renji would keep Rukia waiting a little longer. He didn't want anyone to watch but there was no one else waiting in line. “There's not much room in this boat, is there?” trying to cover up the real reason he was sitting so close.
 
“No, there isn't,” Orihime agreed squeezing even closer. The boat left and entered the tunnel. It was dark in the ride, with occasional pretty scenes to break up the darkness and soft romantic music was playing. Starting to relax Ichigo decided that they might go on this ride again later, if Orihime didn't mind and if they could ditch the others.
 
Their thighs were tight against each other and, telling himself it was due to the lack of room, Ichigo placed his arm around Orihime's shoulder, drawing her even closer. She turned her face to him which he could barely see in the gloom and he hesitated. It was the perfect opportunity to kiss her without anyone watching, but now the time had arrived he wasn't sure. Until now the only kisses they'd shared were when they were playing the damned game and afterwards, when she'd been crying. He wanted the kiss to be special, something that would remove the memory of that last kiss before his second question had been read out. If he had an opportunity to repay the favour to Dame Fortune and the Fates, he would.
 
Why hesitate? The ride would be over soon and as he continued to think he felt Orihime's arms steal around his neck and bending down he found her lips eagerly pressed against his. Feeling her soft mouth part under his, he hoped the ride would never end.
 
Author's Note:
 
The end is near.
 
Please review.
 
Thank you to the people who have reviewed this story.
 
MS