Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ Abrupt Termination ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters
 
Abrupt Termination
 
Bright light shone on his closed lids, brighter than it would be if they were passing through one of the dimly illuminated scenes. They must be outside! In full view of staring eyes and that thought made him quickly jerk his mouth from Orihime's. How humiliating would it be if someone witnessed their first real kiss?
 
Opening her eyes reluctantly, his date looked at him and then at the view around them. “That ride was very short, Ichigo.”
 
It was true; the ride had only appeared to last seconds, finishing as soon as their lips met. “Maybe we should try it again, just to check,” he suggested with two motivations urging him to make the suggestion.
 
“Yes, I would like that.” Orihime did not seem to worry about his reaction to her easy acceptance of his proposal. It led him to hope that she wished that he would kiss her again. “It was nice sitting in the boat with you, in the dark.”
 
As soon as they left the boat, Ichigo grabbed Orihime's hand that was not carrying the stuffed toy, and ran quickly to the entrance on the ride, eager to be alone with her. If there wasn't much of a line they could be on the ride in minutes. He could hold her in his arms again, inhale her sweet scent and pretend that this was a normal day without anything important happening. Even better he might be able to pretend that this was a normal date with two ordinary teenagers who didn't have special powers. At that moment he craved the life he had before meeting Rukia, the simple safe routine of study, seeing spirits, family life and fights.
 
Nearing the entrance he noticed there were people waiting for the ride. Slowing he scanned the line and having his fears confirmed, stopped and backed up. If he was lucky….
 
“Hey, where are you going, kid?” Renji yelled, destroying his hopes of making a surreptitious getaway.
 
“Nowhere, now,” Ichigo muttered and walked to meet his friends who were lining up. Renji's hair was wet and he still looked pale, but he smiled bravely.
 
“Chad dumped water over my head. I don't know why it worked, but I felt better,” Renji said sheepishly. Shifting from one foot to another his embarrassment was evident.
 
“That was because you had completely emptied your stomach. I would urge you not to eat for some time,” Chad said. His lips were tilted at the corners and his shoulders hitched slightly. Ryo slapped him slightly on the shoulder.
 
“Show a little compassion. The man was sick,” she said, and then hid her smile behind her hand.
 
“Oh, don't try to be kind to the idiot. Maybe in future you won't act like a pig and you'll show some control,” Rukia said.
 
Renji bent down and whispered something in her ear which caused her to flush and elbow him in his recently emptied stomach. Clutching the injured area, Renji turned an interesting shade of red and barely managed to remain on his feet.
 
“Rukia, that wasn't very nice,” Orihime exclaimed, shocked at the callous treatment.
 
Tatsuki chuckled at the outrage expressed by her friend. “He likes attention, does that one. It doesn't matter if she's kissing him, or beating him, he just wants Rukia to notice him.”
 
Uryu smiled and nodded. “The man in a glutton in more ways than one,” he bowed sightly to Rukia. “I am now gratified that you were not interested in me. You are much better suited to this man. No other person would have the patience to indulge his tastes.”
 
“Come on Renji, it's our turn,” Rukia said tugging at her dates arm as the empty boat arrived.
 
Looking slightly cheered, Renji clambered in next to Rukia, placing a casual arm over her shoulder while whispering something else in her ear. The boat moved off before Ichigo could see if she inflicted more punishment on him.
 
Tatsuki was speaking softly to Orihime and Ichigo took advantage of their distraction to try to see if Uryu had a similar experience on the ride.
 
Leaning close to Uryu, Ichigo asked quietly, “Did the ride seem oddly short to you?” he asked without supplying any details. He didn't want to admit that the ride was over almost as soon as he started kissing Orihime.
 
Uryu quickly glanced at Tatsuki a strange expression crossing his face. “Yes, it did terminate abruptly. I urged Tatsuki to accompany me on this ride again to see if the phenomenon was repeated.” His eyes refused to meet Ichigo's which made him certain that there had been something more than the enjoyment of the ride that had occupied his friend.
 
Chad and Ryo were now entering their boat. Ryo waved at Orihime and Tatsuki who waved back, giggling. Orihime now whispered something in Tatsuki's ear and they both glanced at Uryu and giggled.
 
“That doesn't seem like a normal thing for your date to do,” Ichigo said thinking that Tatsuki rarely gossiped or giggled.
 
Pressing his teeth into his lip, Uryu pushed his glasses up his nose as he observed the two girls. “On this occasion I have to agree.” Before they could converse any more the next boat arrived and Tatsuki and Uryu left.
 
“That was a really short ride,” Renji complained as he came up behind Ichigo. “I was just beginning to kiss Rukia and the damned ride finished. What a rip off.”
 
“Shush, Renji. We'll try it again,” Rukia said looking very confused. “I thought the thing would be longer from what Kon said. Tunnel of Love? More like a moment of darkness.”
 
Orihime tugged at Ichigo's hand. “It's our turn Ichigo,” was the quick reminder.
 
This time Ichigo didn't wait. As soon as they entered the darkness, he began to kiss Orihime. As soon as their lips touched, he felt the sunlight on his eyes once more. He cursed mentally. That seemed wrong and his belief that Dame Fate and Fortune were again playing games with him.
 
“That can't be right, Ichigo. The ride can't last only two seconds. I'm afraid ...” Orihime began and then paused.
 
“I know; so am I. This isn't normal. Are you prepared to go on the ride once more and time how long it is?” It wasn't that he really cared, but it would prove that there was some interference and while he did not want to have it confirmed, there was no sense in denying the truth. Walking slowly to the beginning of the ride he saw his friends queued up, each of them looking confused with the exception of Chad and Ryo.
 
“A ride doesn't last seconds, I can't believe it would be such a gyp. I'll stomp Kon for misleading me,” Rukia said, the anger and discontent showing on her face.
 
“The ride seemed as normal to me,” Chad said. “Nothing happened. Darkness, music, a few scenes with animated figures.”
 
Speculative looks passed between Uryu and Ichigo.
 
“But did you try to kiss Ryo?” Ichigo blurted out hoping that this would answer his question, but then realised that neither Chad nor Ryo were subject to the penalty, so it wouldn't affect them.
 
“Smooth, Kurosaki. Have you contemplated a career in diplomacy?” Uryu said, smiling unwillingly.
 
“Not on a first date,” Chad said heavily, frowning at his friend as he answered Ichigo's unfortunate question. “That would be improper and disrespectful. We are here to have fun.” Despite his words, he cast a meditative look at Ryo.
 
Tossing her hair over her shoulder Ryo allowed a small smile to cross her face. “Correct. We mustn't indulge in inappropriate behaviour. Rukia, could you kindly stop paying such close attention to your friend. You're giving me a bad example.”
 
“He was kissing me,” protested Rukia.
 
“From where I'm standing you were kissing him back.” There was no doubt in Ichigo's mind that Rukia had been fully participating in the embrace. This pair did not require the cover of darkness to express their feelings for each other. Once again Ichigo wished they could be a little less demonstrative, but knew that nothing he would say would have any impact.
 
Chad and Ryo got onto the boat that arrived and waved briefly. “See you at lunch,” Ryo called as they left.
 
“I don't think I want to go on this ride again, Rukia. I'm hungry. Feed me,” Renji complained. He rubbed his stomach gently and looked at the dark haired girl imploringly.
 
“It lacks half an hour to lunch.”
 
“Yeah, but Quin…, Spectacles, you didn't lose your breakfast. Rukia I want something to eat and now,” was the demand.
 
Rukia frowned at him indulgently and nodded. “You sound like a whiny child. One thing only. I think perhaps an ice-cream. One ice-cream only. Do you understand, Renji?”
 
He made a face. “Stop telling me what to do. Okay, an ice-cream and then we can visit the place where you play games. We'll meet you for lunch later,” Renji said tugging at his date's hand. Rukia allowed him to pull her away.
 
“I hope he only eats one. He looked pretty sick after he ate all the other food,” Orihime offered quietly.
 
“It is possible that the conversation regarding the food exacerbated the situation,” was the measured observation by Uryu. He clasped Tatsuki's hand in his and smiled at her. She glared at him for a second and unwillingly smiled back.
 
“It will be interesting to see how long the ride takes this time. It was really short last time and I was sure it had to be longer than that,” she offered.
 
“We now have the chance to find out,” Uryu told her as he helped her into the boat.
 
“Ichigo, do you mind if we don't go on this ride again? Can we go somewhere else before lunch, somewhere quiet? I want to ask you something.”
 
The words startled Ichigo. Orihime had asked him to do something? It would be good to spend some time apart from the others, but the park seemed pretty busy. Where could they go that might provide some peace, especially from prying eyes?
 
Suddenly he remembered something he'd found once before when he was trying to escape from Keigo on one ill advised excursion to the park. Due to the strange shape of some of the buildings near the food area, there was a small secluded area with a bench. Most people ignored it because there was nothing to see or do.
 
Walking together, he led her to the place. It was deserted, as he expected and they sat down. Orihime sat slightly apart from him, her hands gripping each other nervously and she placed the duck between them. Her breathing had become quite rapid and her eyes looked scared as they searched his face.
 
“Is she going to confess? I don't know if I'm ready for this. I mean I really like her, but if she tells me she loves me, do I have to tell her I love her? Do I love her?” were the random thoughts that raced through his mind as he noticed her nervousness increase.
 
“I have a favour to ask you,” Orihime began and stopped. She picked the duck up and held it to her tightly. The action drew Ichigo's eyes to the body that supported the duck, but realising she could notice the direction of his eyes, he dragged them to her face. “I've wanted to ask this since we played that horrid game.”
 
Clearing his throat, Ichigo tried to give a general answer. “What's the favour?” he said weakly as no other idea presented itself.
 
Orihime gulped and her hands held the duck in such a manner that he wondered whether the stiches would hold or the toy would be pulled apart accidentally. “Despite what happens with Dame Fortune and the Fates, I want to be your friend, Ichigo.”
 
That was not what he was expecting to hear. Noticing his mouth was gaping open, he shut it while a feeling of disappointment settled over him as he accepted that he'd hoped she had told him something else. But then it would have become complicated because he would have needed to respond and he didn't know what he could have said.
 
“Since you walked me home through the park, you've spent more time with me, Ichigo. I've liked your company, and I don't want to become just a classmate again,” Orihime continued and he was certain that tears glinted in her eyes.
 
She was confessing to him! That she wanted to be his friend, not that she loved him. It occurred to him that her natural delicacy of nature would make any confession of love difficult, unless she was under the influence of some outside force.
 
“Okay,” Ichigo said, thinking it would buy him time.
 
“Does that mean you want to remain friends?” Orihime looked expectantly into his eyes and he found he was nodding. “No matter what?”
 
“Yeah, sure. As friends. Why don't we…,” instead of finishing the sentence he moved close to her and kissed her, squashing the duck between them.
 
This time they weren't on a ride, there were no tears streaming down her face and no audience. This time they would share a proper kiss without interruptions.
 
“Hey, Son, what are you doing here? Kissing? Nice place you've chosen, but aren't you supposed to be with your friends?” a loud jocular voice broke his concentration.
 
Pulling his mouth from Orihime's in shock he stared at his father and sisters who were smiling at his obvious embarrassment. This was wrong, they were meant to be at home, not interrupting a private moment.
 
“Hi, Orihime,” Karin smiled.
 
“You're Orihime? You're much prettier than the boy let on; not that he's told me much about you, or anything at all. My daughters said something about an Orihime,” Isshin said, his glance moving from Ichigo to Orihime, satisfaction evident on his face. “But the boy has been smiling more often,” he added as an afterthought.
 
Had he been smiling often? He didn't think his father paid much attention to his facial expressions; otherwise he would not try to beat him up so often. Sighing loudly, Ichigo made the introductions. “Orihime Inoue this is my family. The strange looking man is my father, Isshin Kurosaki. I think you know the two girls, my sisters, Karin and Yuzu.” That finished he turned to his father. “Why are you here and how did you find me? You could have ignored me.”
 
“Where's the fun in that?” Isshin asked, evidently perplexed. “If I'd let you, you would have kept kissing the poor girl, who might have needed to breathe. The way you were holding her, I wasn't sure she'd be able to and you've got that toy between you.”
 
Ichigo looked at Orihime whose complexion was demonstrating how red she could become when she was embarrassed. “I suppose you want to show me how to kiss a girl?”
 
Isshin shrugged his shoulders and an idiotic smile creased his face. “If you don't think you're date would mind,” he said pursing his lips.
 
Karin cuffed him in the side of the head. “Gross, Dad. I told you to leave them alone, but you had to barge in. You did what you wanted, now, let's go. You promised to win a prize for me and Yuzu. See you later, Ichigo, Orihime.”
 
As Karin dragged their protesting father away, Ichigo looked at his watch and noticed it was time to meet the others for lunch. “My father; he's a bit strange,” he tried to explain as they walked toward the meeting place.
 
“He reminded me a little of Mr Urahara,” Orihime said, not able to look at Ichigo.
 
That seemed a very strange thing to say, until he worked out what she meant. “He wouldn't have kissed you. I don't think he would,” he continued not feeling very sure that he was correct. Who knew what his father would do? He didn't. “I would have stopped him, if he tried,” was his valiant assertion.
 
They hurried but they still ended up arriving late at the meeting place where Tatsuki made them feel welcome. “Renji was trying to get us to go in without you. He said you'd probably be too busy to think about eating,” she smiled at Orihime as she spoke.
 
“Hey, I'm hungry. Rukia would only let me have one ice-cream and she ate half of it,” the man complained hugging Rukia close. “You can be so strict, when you want to be,” he told his date admiringly.
 
“You always respond better to threats,” she said.
 
Ichigo was intrigued by that comment but decided it was the wrong time to ask any questions. Glancing around at the rest of them he noticed Uryu had a strange expression on his face but didn't wish to ask anything directly.
 
“That ride lasted the correct time when we only looked and did not interact,” he hissed at Ichigo when they were finally seated in the restaurant. They had decided that they would eat together in the main restaurant as a way to, not exactly celebrate, but pretend that nothing strange was happening.
 
“Yeah, the ride was a gyp,” Renji said, overhearing. Every time I tried to get close to Rukia, it ended.”
 
“It did it to us, too. Even better than that, my family turned up when we were ur, talking,” Ichigo said glumly. Seeing his family had cast a pall on the day. How could he act as normal if he felt they were going to interrupt any moment? It might be an idea to leave now because he had a strange feeling that something else he wouldn't like would happen. Trying to put the premonition aside he felt that something else was wrong. “Where are the menus?” he asked after looking around at his friends.
 
“You're not paying attention. This is a buffet,” Ryo said, smiling at Ichigo, amused at his bewilderment.
 
“Hey, no one told me this was a buffet,” Renji brightened up immediately at the thought of all the food he could consume.
 
“You will not make a pig of yourself again,” the stern voice of Rukia made it clear that Renji would not be allowed to become sick from over eating again.
 
His face fell but then brightened. “I can try all the stuff I've never tried before, can't I? It would be a waste to come here and just eat vegetables.” The wheedling tone didn't fool anyone, but Rukia nodded,
 
“In moderation,” she agreed.
 
Chad chuckled as he looked at Renji with disbelief. “Moderation is good. Do you know what it means?” he asked Renji, who scowled at him in response.
 
“I'm hungry. You can help me choose my food,” Tatsuki said to Uryu.
 
Ichigo nearly fell off his chair at the slight flirtatious tone in her voice. “She can't be flirting with him,” he thought. “Because I'm worried about what's going to happen, I'm hearing things.”
 
Chad leant close to Ichigo. “Is she flirting with Uryu?”
 
Without meaning to, he found he was nodding his head in agreement. “It seems like it. I never expected that.”
 
Orihime leant over and said quietly, “Even though you're trying to be quiet, I can hear you. It's nice that Tatsuki likes Uryu. She seems happy.”
 
Ichigo nodded in response after sharing an amused look with Chad. Women stuck together, no matter what.
 
In pairs they went and served themselves lunch. The food wasn't inspired cuisine, but it was tasty, plentiful and fresh. Ignoring Rukia's protests, Renji returned to the savoury buffet six times, returning with a heaped plate each time.
 
“Wow, I thought you were exaggerating before about how much he could eat,” Ryo said to Tatsuki. She was watching Renji with interest as he managed to clean his plate within a few minutes. “Have you thought of making him enter eating competitions? I don't think anyone else would stand a chance.”
 
“That's Renji,” Rukia said shrugging as she watched him return to the buffet again. “He had a tough childhood,” she continued in explanation. “Not much food and lots of fear.” As if realising what she said, she placed a bright happy smile on her face and added, “Not much chance that he'll starve now, is there?”
 
“Maybe not today,” Renji said with a very stern expression on his face as he returned with another heaped plate. He sounded older and very world weary, but as if noticing that he was acting a little strange, he cuffed Ichigo over the head. “Hey, kid, you're not keeping up. You've only gone back three times. Aren't you worried about getting your money's worth? You always seem so worried about money.”
 
“Yeah, I'm going back for dessert. Do you want me to get you anything, Orihime?”
 
“How sweet. He's offering to get some food for his date. It's nice to see someone thinking of some one else,” Rukia said pointedly.
 
“Listen, princess. You've got two legs and two arms. Get your own food. Maybe one day I'll do that for you, when I'm senile or something,” Renji said through a mouthful of food.
 
“I'll come with you, Ichigo,” was Orihime's faint response.
 
They went to the sweets table and Ichigo watched as Orihime looked longingly at the main course sauces once she'd filled her plate. “Please don't, Orihime. Just eat it as it is. It tastes good,” he said in a wheedling tone.
 
“Just a little barbecue sauce, or hollandaise,” she said imploringly, her eyes lifted to his soulfully. “It would taste wonderful with the crème caramel.”
 
He tried to control his shudder as the possible combination of flavours shattered his imagination. If she ate that he wasn't sure he'd want to kiss her. He opened his mouth to reply.
 
“Will you be my girlfriend?”
 
Ichigo looked at Orihime. He was sure he hadn't said those words, but the voice sounded familiar. He was sure he hadn't spoken; it was too soon to ask something like that and while he knew he would eventually ask her, now was not the time.
 
“I am your girlfriend, idiot. I thought you were going to ask another question,” female voice said. “You do choose the most romantic venues,” Rukia said as she shoved some chocolate cake into Renji's mouth.
 
“I can't ask you the other question until your brother agrees,” he said in an aggrieved tone after swallowing the cake. “And I can't ask him until you come back to the Se… I mean home. Come home, Rukia.”
 
Taking his plate while shaking his head, Ichigo walked back to the table. Those two always seemed to have some issue and he didn't want to get involved this time. Let them sort it out, or not.
 
After they finally finished lunch and Renji had consumed 3 large servings of dessert, they went their separate ways.
 
“I suggest we meet at 3.00,” Uryu said. “We do not wish to be tardy for our appointment.”
 
Hearing this made Ichigo gulp slightly. While he had been eating he had managed to concentrate on other things, and the looming menace of the evening had receded. The shadow that had been loitering in the corner of his mind threatened to take over but Orihime took his hand and squeezed it gently. Pleased at the unexpected contact he looked down and smiled at her, the encroaching gloom chased away by her touch.
 
“Yeah. See you then,” he said and walked off, not really caring where they went.
 
“Can we go to the Mirror Maze?” Orihime said, cuddling the duck. “I'd like to get lost with you.”
 
The statement made his lips twitch into a spontaneous smile. Getting lost together? That sounded like a good idea because then they could hide from the future and the increasingly problematic penalties. Casually he took her hand and they walked in the direction of the attraction. There was no queue and after paying they entered the cool darkness.
 
“I like this,” Ichigo thought. “It's not a ride so it can't end, there doesn't seem to be anyone else here.” Pulling Orihime to one side he embraced her and lowered his mouth to hers, intent on sharing that elusive kiss. For a second their lips met but then he felt something land in the middle of his back. He kicked back, trying not to hurt Orihime in spite of the unexpected attack.
 
“Ichigoooooooo. Why didn't you tell me you were coming here? I went to the Aquarium but the beauty contest was a washout. They were kids, none of them over 12. Sure, some of them were cute, but I'm not into girls that much younger. Anyway, their fathers were watching so I couldn't… I mean… Hey is that Orihime? Were you trying to kiss her?”
 
Ichigo pushed his school mate away from his harshly and the boy staggered at the force of the shove. As his face formed a fierce frown, Ichigo felt like this was the final blow to his enjoyment of the day. All the anger welled up within him and he said in a fierce hard voice, “Get lost Keigo. You didn't see us. We're not really here. You're dreaming and when you wake up you'll be lying on the floor here, and decide to go home,” Ichigo said looking meaningfully at his peer as he moved toward him in a threatening manner.
 
“But I have seen you and Orihime,” was the beginning of the protest but Ichigo cut in quickly.
 
“You didn't and you won't remember. Get lost Keigo or I'll get serious.”
 
The silence was heavy with meaning. Keigo's expression changed from its normal hopeful, gormless façade to something more intelligent. He glanced from Ichigo to Orihime and shrugged regretfully. “I knew she was special, but I'd hoped you'd miss seeing that.”
 
“How could I miss the obvious? I'll say it again. Get lost Keigo, or I'll break your arm before I knock you out,” the anger was not calmed by the sudden change.
 
“We'll talk about this later,” Keigo said without false bravado or any of his normal foolery and after nodding politely to Orihime, he left to traverse the maze. His shoulders were tense and he walked rapidly away.
 
“You didn't have to do that, Ichigo. You hurt Keigo's feelings and he'll remember,” Orihime said, the shocked look on her face made him feel a little guilty.
 
“I did need to do that. Orihime haven't you noticed something a little peculiar? Every time I try to kiss you, it doesn't happen. The ride ends or someone interrupts. Heck, I'd be surprised if the building doesn't catch fire if I try to kiss you now.”
 
The crease in Orihime's forehead made her look even cuter than normal. “I thought it was because we were in a public area, but that ride did seem very short, too short.” Her top teeth caught her bottom lip as her eyes took on a faraway look and then in a low voice she said, “It's the penalties. It has to be because there couldn't be this many accidents.”
 
“You are accurate in your supposition. There have been too many coincidences,” Uryu said appearing out of the gloom, his hand firmly holding Tatsuki's. “We too were interrupted by Keigo and other people I did not expect to see here.”
 
“Not you too,” Rukia said as she walked into the maze accompanied by Renji.
 
“Dame Fate and the blasted Fortunes. I can't wait to get free of them,” Renji raged as his hair seemed to blaze in the darkness.
 
The three couples looked at each other, each person thinking that this had to be a result of the game they played. There was the faint concern that asking assistance from Urahara was making it happen that much sooner, but the date now seemed pointless.
 
“We can still go on the rides and enjoy them,” Orihime said but her enthusiasm was noticeably lacking.
 
“Have you noticed how we keep ending up together? We all seem to end up at the same attractions eventually, but this time it was much faster. I don't expect to see Chad or Ryo because they didn't play the game.” Ichigo had trouble keeping the regret from his voice.
 
“Fine, let's pretend we're just kids and go on the scariest rides. We've got to do something to pass the time,” Renji said. He didn't appear pleased at the prospect, and Rukia was frowning.
 
“What choice do we have? Let's go on the Ferris Wheel. The view's supposed to be good and seeing we won't have anything to distract us, we'll enjoy it,” Tatsuki didn't sound too certain about what she was saying.
 
After a few minutes conversation debating the merits of the ride they negotiated the maze. For some reason it was remarkably easy for them to find the correct path and they didn't take one wrong turn.
 
“Half the fun of these is getting lost,” Tatsuki said glumly once they were outside. “Then you can laugh and find another place to stumble into.”
 
Lining up for the next ride they were joined in the line by Ichigo's family, both girls clutching a medium sized stuffed shark, Tatsuki's brother, and a number of other friends and acquaintances, including Keigo who was accompanied by Mizuiro. Mizuiro waved at them happily, but Keigo didn't even smile. He nodded at Rukia and Tatsuki but ignored Uryu, Ichigo and Orihime. Noticing this Ichigo felt a pang shoot through him, not of guilt or sadness but of lack of recognition. His peer had changed and it seemed strange to see him without his normal hyperactive character. It seemed there would need to be a reckoning there and he didn't look forward to it.
 
“I thought they said penalties, not curses,” Ichigo mumbled despondently in Orihime's ear. These unexpected meetings were too much to be passed off as a fluke. They began to get into the cabin of the ride which was in front of them when they heard a commotion behind them.
 
Before Orihime could reply a deep voice boomed, “We'll get in the same car as you, boy. Let me get to know this person who has such a pretty face. You know, Miss Inoue, you remind me of my wife. She was a truly lovely person and I miss her,” Isshin's face clouded as he talked and Ichigo was embarrassed to see his eyes were becoming wet.
 
There was no point in protesting and Ichigo grumpily climbed into the car with Orihime and his family, sitting close to the window while making certain Orihime sat next to him. He glared out the window, wishing that the ride was already over.
 
“Ichigo has told me about his mother and so has Tatsuki. I wish I'd met her. She sounds like she was wonderful,” Orihime said kindly once the ride began. There could be no doubt of the sincerity of her words.
 
Isshin brightened at her comments and laughed, “She was. Beautiful, intelligent, talented,” he gestured at the view. “Look out there. You don't see that every day.”
 
“We saw it when we were on this last time,” Karin said. “I wanted to go on the rollercoaster. Why are we on this again?”
 
“I don't like the rollercoaster,” was the quiet answer given by Yuzu. “I get dizzy.”
 
Karin made a face. “Ichigo, you'll go on the ride with me after this, won't you? Dad and Yuzu are cowards and they probably want to go on the carousel again.” The words were delivered as more of an order than a request.
 
“I don't know,” Ichigo began and then broke off as a sudden flare of dark energy attracted his attention. He noticed it seemed to be centred in a familiar part of town, near Hat and Clogs shop! “I don't think there's much point in waiting til tonight,” he decided quietly. “If something's happening now, maybe they already have the answer.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note:
 
I just realised that the title might have made a few people worry that this was the last chapter. Hehehehe. It wasn't 1oo% intentional. With any luck (and based on previous experience, I don't hold my breath) the next chapter will see the end of this particular story, sort of. All will be explained at the end when I get there.
 
Who would have expected all these interruptions? Well, I did.
 
Was it all a remarkable set of coincidences? Is it really the penalties that made all this happen? How many penalties are there left? Well, there were five originally; then one penalty was that they wouldn't know what the penalties were, which makes four. If the interruptions represent another penalty, that would make three, or would it? Is there another hidden penalty? What am I raving about?
 
Has Tessai found a solution? Did the Handsome Shopkeeper (who became the bruised and broken nosed shopkeeper) run away? Do Dame Fate and Fortune like chocolate? (Just a random question.) Some answers will be revealed in the next (hopefully concluding) chapter.
 
Please review.
 
MS