Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Court or Caught? ❯ Believing in Your Head ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Bleach. I just borrowed the characters.
 
Believing in Your Head
 
Waiting impatiently for the ride to end, Ichigo nudged Orihime and pointed out what he could see. She frowned and looked, but then shook her head, her eyes wide with incomprehension. It was obvious that she couldn't see anything.
 
“What are you looking at, son? I can't see anything strange. Are you trying to get Orihime to talk to you and not me? I don't know why you can't allow her to talk to me without interrupting. I don't often have a chance to talk to your friends,” was the loud reprimand from his father. That man always wanted to be in the middle of everything. He was glad that he'd managed to prevent him from sitting between them; that would have been awkward.
 
Ichigo whispered to Orihime, “I want to go to Urahara's. Now!” He ignored his father's comment and waited impatiently for the ride to end. “We've got something to do,” he told Karin when she asked him again about the roller coaster. “I'll bring you back another day and take you on all the scary rides,” was his distracted promise to his sister.
 
“I want to see Orihime again,” Isshin demanded, his hand gripping Ichigo's shoulder as he tried to move away, preparing to leave the ride as soon as it finished. “It's refreshing to find a young lady with nice manners and a pretty face. And she seems to like you.”
 
“I'll invite her home, sometime. Okay? Can we go now?” his impatience was urging him to make rash decisions that he really didn't consider. Grabbing the duck that was still lying on the seat, he didn't hear Orihime's gasp of surprise but his eyes scanned the people getting off the ride. They left the ride and as soon as he saw his friends, he waved to them in an imperative gesture, urging them to join him. Isshin grasped his shoulder again trying to stop him from leaving but he ignored him, focused instead on Uryu, Rukia and Renji who nodded decisively, indicating that they had seen the energy, while Tatsuki just looked confused.
 
While he was doing this Yuzu, who had been looking a little sad, brightened. “I'd like it if you invited Orihime home. Tell me when and I'll make a special meal.”
 
“Fine, whatever,” pulling free of his father's hand Ichigo moved and grabbed Orihime's hand. “I'll be home late,' he said abruptly as they went to join the others. There was no time to waste.
 
“Make sure you aren't too late. And I want to see your pretty friend again, very soon,” Isshin shouted after him. Ichigo waved impatiently as he drew closer to his friends, not really interested in what his father had to say.
 
“Your father? He's unlike mine,” Uryu said his gaze fixed on Ichigo's family. Ichigo was unsure, but there seemed to be a trace of longing in the gaze.
 
“You have a father?” a deep voice boomed behind them. “You have mentioned your esteemed grandfather who sounds as noble as my Abuelo, but you have never mentioned your father.”
 
An ugly flush spread over Uryu's face as he realised that his distraction had momentarily made him disclose something he normally kept undisclosed. “Of course I have a father,” he said through tight lips.
 
“Chad! We're just about to leave, I think,” Orihime said looking searchingly at her friends. “Aren't we, Ichigo?”
 
Ichigo nodded. “Yeah, but you don't have to come, Chad, Ryo. We've got someone we have to see.”
 
“With your permission I will escort Ryo home and then meet you where you are going. That is the correct thing to do,” Chad told them, “if that is permitted,” he added, speaking to Ryo.
 
“You don't have to do that. I can go home by myself,” Ryo said, her cheeks turning pink.
 
“I promised I would take you home and I feel it is important. I will be with you soon,” Chad told them stolidly while motioning for Ryo to precede him.
 
“I don't think Chad should come,” Orihime said worriedly. Her eyes were following her friends and it was easy to see that she didn't want any of their penalties to pass to others.
 
“I would not try to dissuade Chad from anything. He may seem easy going, but once he is determined to do something, it is pointless to dispute. I consider his presence will provide an important distraction.” Uryu observed.
 
Ichigo thought about it. Through the last few days he had come to respect Uryu's opinion. He seemed to have a sense of what might be happening and he would be as affected by the outcome of their current disaster. “I trust Chad. We look out for each other.”
 
“Of, stop wagging your tongues for no purpose. Let's move. I want to get this sorted and then I can work on getting Rukia home. That the important thing,” was the red haired Shinigami's frustrated comment. “Come on, Rukia. Don't you want this to be over?”
 
They all turned to look at Rukia. She was staring at Renji sadly, with longing and pain. For a moment Ichigo wondered if those were tears he saw shining in her eyes but she blinked and her eyes appeared as normal. “Not really, Renji. If it's over then the penalties might come into play, and the fortunes come true. I remember your fortune,” her voice dropped, “and mine.”
 
“I don't believe in the fort….” Tatsuki did not finish the sentence. Swallowing hard she looked at Uryu her face troubled. “Do you think the fortunes will come true?”
 
Uryu did not answer immediately and they all seemed to be waiting for his answer. Ichigo found he was holding his breath, and released it quickly, while thinking that this situation was stupid. Why would Uryu know the answer to that question better than any of them?
 
“I do not wish to speculate. It would not be wise when I do not possess all the facts,” Uryu said slowly as he gazed steadily back at Tatsuki. “Anything I suggest may be based on emotional response.”
 
“So, you're scared too? Then why are we still here? Sure it may be bad, but not knowing is worse. I feel like I can't do anything `til I know,” was Renji's surprising response. One side of his mouth twisted into a mirthless smile as he took Rukia's hand and pulled her toward the exit.
 
Orihime and Ichigo followed, their hands instinctively linking. “Do I really want to know? All week I've been waiting for today and now it's here, now we might get the answers, it seems like it's too soon. I thought that Hat and Clogs had run away, but he hadn't and something seems to be happening at the shop, but what? Why did we get all these interruptions and seeing all those people we knew. Why were they all at the park? Why was Dad there? What was going on with Keigo? For once all the normal foolery had been stripped away and the person who lurked underneath had been revealed, a person who was not afraid to admit his admiration of Orihime. He had almost seemed brave and sensible when he didn't challenge Ichigo. What was that about? Was that Keigo, or was it something or someone else who looked like him?
 
The park seemed more crowded than he had realised. As they headed toward the exit, past the fairy floss concessions, past the entrance to the much touted space ride and the movie theatre, the crowds became denser. People selling balloons were dotted here and there, with many people lined up to purchase their wares. It made moving harder as they had to weave through large groups who were standing close to each other, apparently absorbed in conversations. As they pushed closer they noticed more people were purchasing tickets to gain entry to the park.
 
“Why would you buy balloons when you've only just arrived?” Orihime said to Ichigo. She had to raise her voice as the noise of the crowd made normal speech impossible.
 
Ichigo had often wondered about that. Why would you want to take a floating object on a ride? Some of the rides would destroy the thing, fast.
 
“Why's it so crowded?” he asked one person as he walked past.
 
“That famous TV spook expert is coming tonight. Bwahahaha,” he was informed as the man crossed his arms on his chest and gave that irritating laugh. “And there's going to be fireworks as well. Ghosts and fireworks. Great idea.” The man was smiling cheerfully. “It was only announced this morning.”
 
This was just getting crazier. Ichigo knew the television `personality' referred to. He'd seen one of his shows once because his sisters and father insisted on watching it and he'd disliked everything he saw. Behind the hype the guy seemed to know so little. After two minutes he'd walked out of the room and decided that studying was better than watching that sort of rubbish.
 
Holding tightly to Orihime's hand he managed to find a path through, mainly by following Renji who didn't seem to care who he had to push out of the way. Once they exited the park they could see the crowd waiting to get in.
 
“That may explain the popularity of this place today,” Uryu commented once Ichigo explained what he'd learnt. “Television had far too much influence on the community. People who have nothing to recommend them become famous whereas those people who have exceptional abilities are ignored.”
 
“Like you?” Renji said, not appearing to be paying much attention to the crowd. They were now close to the train station and Ichigo began to feel slightly uncomfortable. He was still unsure how he viewed this visit.
 
“As you say, Renji. Now, a train is due in a few minutes.”
 
Entering the station they made their way to the platform and stood there waiting for the promised train. After a few seconds uncomfortable silence, Tatsuki pulled her hand from Uryu's. “I don't want to come. It'll be bad and I don't want to know.”
 
“But, Tatsuki. You're so brave. I don't want to go and I was hoping you'd come because it would make me feel safe,” Orihime said quietly. She reached one hand out and noticed it was holding the duck so she drew that back and unwillingly removed her hand from Ichigo's grasp. “Please.”
 
Looking at her friend, the stern expression on Tatsuki's face grew graver and after a few minutes she took Orihime's hand between two of her own and spoke earnestly. “I'll come, but I know this is a mistake. Why do I have to know?”
 
“Facing threats and fear is part of life. Ignoring them only makes them larger in your mind and then they gain power over you,” was Renji's response.
 
They all stood and looked at him, amazed that he had said something that seemed so wise and true. Ichigo had never guessed the guy had depth, but also realised he knew nothing about him except he was a Shinigami, loved Rukia and had known her for a long time. He didn't even know how old he was. Sometimes he thought he was an adult and other times he acted just like a teenager. It was confusing, but for the most part, Ichigo had decided to think of him as a teenager. He didn't want to hang around with a bunch of people who might start talking about mortgages and work. It was bad enough having to talk about school.
 
“Very true,” Uryu was the first to formulate a response. “You sound like you have sought what you feared and faced it many times, Renji.”
 
The man just shrugged and pulled Rukia closer. “There's fear and fear. Sometimes you don't know the thing you really fear until it's forced on you. For years I thought it was one thing until Rukia went missing. That's when I found out my biggest dread.”
 
Rukia turned to face him and Ichigo wondered again if he saw the glint of tears in her eyes. She reached up her hand and cupped Renji's cheek gently, with tenderness that was usually absent from their public interactions. Renji placed his hand over hers, gazing back at her fervently, his eyes only seeing her face, despite the people milling around them. Stripped of all the normal foolery and passion, the strong emotion that lay underneath was now too obvious to overlook. This was more than simple teenage infatuation and seeing it made Ichigo's breath hitch in his throat. Once, long ago he had seen his father and mother look at each other like that. He hadn't understood what was happening at the time, but now he knew. In spite of his normal disdain for his father, a moment of pure sympathy swept over him, not for himself, but for the loss that his father had experienced when his wife had died.
 
The arrival of the train broke the moment and they quickly entered. There were no seats to be found as the train was quite crowded and they had to break up to find places to stand. Ichigo remained close to Orihime, wanting to spend as much time with her as possible before anything unfortunate happened. A strange sensation was making itself felt in his stomach, a heavy, roiling feeling that made him uneasy. It could have been from the food, but he knew it wasn't. The meeting with his family and all the strange encounters might have contributed, but he knew they didn't. He was dreading this final outcome; he'd been dreading it all week but had beaten the feeling down. This morning, just as he arrived at the train station the feeling had vanished but now it settled on him more firmly making him reluctant to do anything, to talk, gaze out the window, or even fantasise.
 
Standing on the train, he kept remembering his mother's death, that he was the reason she had died and that her loss had nearly destroyed his family. His father, even when he was fooling, genuinely missed the woman he'd married. Ichigo had never really thought about it but his father had never dated any women since that time. He wished his mother hadn't died, that she was still alive to make their lives complete. Why did she have to die? It didn't seem right. He'd even failed to destroy the Hollow who killed his mother. That was the memory that was most painful.
 
“I wish this was over,” a small voice said in his ear.
 
“So do I.”
 
He could think of nothing more to add. Wishing wouldn't make it happen.
 
After his mother died he'd woken every morning, hoping he would see her smiling face greet him when he went down to breakfast. No matter how much he wished, or the silent bargains he'd made with whatever deity might be listening, there was no sweet mother's face except the poster on the wall. She wasn't coming back. Not now, not ever. Wishes were just futile hopes that shattered against the walls of reality. Deals with uncaring gods only happened in stories.
 
He glanced at Orihime to see tears welling in her eyes. She saw his questioning look and tried to smile, but the tears spilled down her cheeks. Wiping them away quickly did not stop their fall and he pulled her to him, hiding her sad face against his chest. “I miss my brother,” she told his shirt. “I miss him so much.”
 
It struck him as strange that she was thinking about her brother while he was thinking so sadly of his mother. A quick look at the other couples and he saw that Uryu was looking very solemn, his mouth turned down as Tatsuki frowned angrily. That frown probably meant she was very upset. Ichigo knew it was one of the ways she hid strong emotions. She was clutching at Uryu's hands but he didn't seem to notice as his gaze was fixed on Renji with distaste. What had Renji done this time to anger the guy this time? They were standing at opposite ends of the carriage and they had appeared to be getting on much as normal earlier. What had changed?
 
Renji was holding Rukia, much the way he was holding Orihime. Renji looked angry as if his thoughts were causing him to rage instead of feel sorry, but from Rukia's posture she was experiencing deep grief. Staring intently out the window, his eyes hard in his scowling face, the Shinigami seemed hardly to notice the sobbing woman in his arms, but then he blinked and gently stroked Rukia's back, his expression now exhibiting compassion rather than anger.
 
Kissing the top of Orihime's head was unplanned, but he did and then bent down and kissed her forehead. Now this was happening he didn't care what would occur as a result. She could think what she liked as she'd probably be correct. He kissed her forehead again and then her closed eyes. The salt taste of her tears entered his mouth; more potent than any words they expressed her sorrow.
 
Arriving at the station they needed, they struggled against the press of people attempting to board the train. For a moment it seemed that Ichigo and Orihime wouldn't make an exit before the doors closed, but determined pushing finally saw them emerge, shaken and rather breathless.
 
Leaving the station they walked toward Urahara's shop. In a quiet street Orihime stopped and curious, the others stopped as well.
 
“Did anyone else relive their worst days?” she asked.
 
Immediately Ichigo understood what she meant, but the others shook their heads, obviously not understanding what she meant.
 
“The days after someone you loved, died? Did anyone else remember those days while we were on the train?” Orihime persisted. Ichigo was amazed that she had understood so quickly what was happening and it was too peculiar to be another coincidence.
 
“I remembered losing my childhood friends and someone close to me,” Rukia admitted. Renji stared at her as he nodded in agreement.
 
“The death of my grandfather,” Uryu added with an edge to his words. He gave a quick, disparaging glance at Renji, “At the hands of one of your breed.”
 
“My grandmother,” Tatsuki's quiet addition caused Uryu to pause.
 
“We've all lost someone important to us,” Ichigo felt he had to add. “But for each of us to remember at the same time was someone's idea of a joke, or a penalty.”
 
“I don't like being forced to remember incidents I'd prefer to forget,” was Rukia's contribution.
 
Orihime drew herself up angrily, the normally gentle eyes flashed with a smouldering fire. “Let's get this over with. I choose not to let anyone to control how I feel.”
 
Her assertion, her attitude shocked Ichigo. He had never heard her speak with such passion or authority. But he understood why she felt like this. Since they'd played the game a shadow seemed to hang over their lives as they waited for something bad to happen, and whatever the penalties were, it was very likely they'd be bad.
 
“I would express my feelings in the same manner,” Uryu agreed. “No one should be permitted to dictate how another person thinks.”
 
The others nodded, for once allowing that to be enough agreement.
 
Turning a corner they were in the small area in front of the shop. “Here we are,” Ichigo announced.
 
“Why did I say that? It sounds stupid,” he thought. “They know where we are, I mean it's obvious.”
 
“Talk about stating the obvious,” Rukia said sarcastically. “Should we go in?”
 
“Why else are we here?” Renji said.
 
“Is that the shop? It looks dodgy and I don't like the area,” Tatsuki was darting suspicious looks around the area. “Uryu, I'm going.”
 
The Quincy grabbed her by the hand before she could leave. “You're scared. I am aware that you do not wish to be here and nor, I imagine, do any of the others.”
 
Tatsuki looked Uryu squarely in the face and let out the breath she appeared to be holding. “I don't admit to fear.”
 
“I do. Only fools deny it when their scared,” Renji said. He gave a rather weak smile, his eyes fixed on the door. “And I'm scared now.”
 
That admission made Ichigo feel less dumb. He'd been feeling scared, but had denied it, thinking it was weak. The imposed memories had driven Renji's earlier comments about fear from his mind. All this sniping between them could be due to fear or to the beings playing their peculiar games with their emotions once more.
 
“Why are we wavering? We should just go in,” the words were brave, but Orihime's voice wobbled as she made the suggestion. Ichigo pulled her close and hugged her, knowing that she was one of the most reluctant to enter the shop.
 
“I don't want to. I don't like the energy I feel within the shop. This is a mistake.” All the bravado that Rukia had shown had evaporated and her hands were wrapped around each other, the knuckles white and raised from the strength of her grip.
 
“I'd feel braver if you kissed me, Rukia,” Renji said. Without waiting for her consent, he bent and kissed the dark haired Shinigami with fervour.
 
“That is a very sensible suggestion,” Uryu said and pulled Tatsuki close, bending his face to hers in an intent way.
 
Orihime looked at Ichigo and he looked at her. Should he follow the example? Seconds later Orihime was in his arms and his mouth was pressed against hers. All the frustrations of the other attempts fell away as she kissed him back and unthinkingly his arms tightened around her as her arms embraced his neck. For minutes they held each other close, kissing all the while.
 
“I'm pleased to see you found something to do while you waited for me,” Chad's voice broke the moment.
 
“You could have waited a few minutes,” Rukia grumbled, her face slightly pink as she took her mouth from Renji's.
 
“I did,” Chad admitted. “But then I became jealous. Let us face this now.” He walked to the door and knocked. Reluctantly, the others followed, each holding the hand of the person they had recently been kissing. It was not just a gesture of affection, but an attempt to hold onto hope.
 
They waited and Chad knocked again. A few minutes passed and the door opened slowly, to reveal an altered Tessai. He had seemed stolid and not very animated the last time they met, but now his manner was edgy and nervous.
 
“You're early. It's good you're early. Very good. Come in,” he said, his words fast and jerky as he stepped away from the door. A sheen of perspiration glinted on his forehead and Ichigo could see the tell tale signs of sweat around the neck of the man's shirt. The glasses he wore were smudged. Ichigo was now more reluctant than ever to enter the shop. All the signs were bad. “Things did not go as expected.” Tessai added.
 
“They never do,” Ichigo muttered. He couldn't even pretend surprise. Everything he'd expected recently had ended up wrong. Not always wrong, but strange. He hadn't had a normal date since this began, not that he'd had many dates to compare it with, but he hadn't even managed to go out alone with the girl he liked. There were always other people.
 
Tessai led them to a room where four people were sitting. It was easy to recognise Urahara, but he wasn't wearing his hat and his hair looked almost neat. A dark haired woman with yellow eyes sat next to him, her face serene but Ichigo didn't recognise her. He was sure he hadn't seen her before and he wondered briefly who she was and why she was there. Two children, one dark haired female and an orange haired boy were also seated. Ichigo vaguely recalled them from earlier, but hadn't paid much attention. The boy was quiet, not carrying on like the last time. Four people sitting at attention; facial expressions almost exactly the same on three faces, but one of the faces had a relentless stare in the eyes.
 
“Sit,” the woman commanded. The authority in her voice made the friends react instinctively and they sat opposite without any complaint. Ichigo idly counted again. Four. It couldn't be a coincidence that there were four people who could sit as still as plaster images with those shadowed eyes and grim demeanour.
 
“We are not pleased,” Urahara told them.
 
“Is that the royal `we'?” Renji answered heavily. “Or the collective `we' or even the Gestalt `we'”
 
“Where did he get an understanding of Gestalt,” Ichigo wondered. He'd heard the word somewhere but couldn't remember exactly what it meant. Checking again that it had been Renji who spoke and not Uryu, Ichigo felt that everything he knew was possibly not correct. These last few days he found he was questioning many of his firmly held beliefs, just as he had when he first encountered Rukia. It wasn't fair. It was bad enough being a teenager but all these added complications were irking him.
 
“Stop showing off, Renji. I don't think Dame Fate, Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos have a sense of humour,” hissed Rukia, but her words were clearly heard. Realising that her voice was not as quiet as she'd planned, Rukia flushed. “Er, I just don't want him saying anything offensive,” she explained sheepishly.
 
“So you decided to say it on his behalf,” the dark haired girl said and giggled ingratiatingly. “I can understand that. Protective of your loved one as before. Passionate, protective, predestined, pre-emptive and probably doomed. I'd pity you except your fate amuses me. And you were wrong about our ability to see humour. I see it everywhere.”
 
Ichigo witnessed Rukia giving a bad imitation of a gold fish as she opened and closed her mouth, obviously trying to think of something to say. He didn't find the sight amusing, given the current situation. It seemed doubtful, after this night, he'd find anything funny. The oppressive atmosphere he'd noted when they played the game had now returned, four-fold.
 
“That man,” Urahara said while pointing an accusing finger at Tessai, “summoned us here with promises. The question is: will I cut short his life? He is dangerous. Finding the kernel of truth in a fairy tale and then using that hidden knowledge is not permitted.”
 
Tessai slumped onto the floor. “The need was great.” He looked sadly at the woman and Urahara. “I have made the bargain and you accepted it.”
 
“People's needs. They're never ending. The desires of the young, the greed of the middle aged and the miserliness of the old. Humans are always wanting more,” Urahara said solemnly and then a cruel smile twisted his mouth. “They want more until I cut the thread. Then death embraces them and snuffs out all their yearning, except for that of life. I thought you would know that,” he said looking at Renji and Rukia, “but there you are still enmeshed within your worldly cravings. How death has failed you.”
 
“Don't ask, Tatsuki,” Uryu said quickly to the girl sitting next to him as she opened her mouth. “I will explain later, but now is not the time.”
 
She cast a peculiar look at him, one of anger and resentment mixed with respect and affection. “You'd better tell me,” she threatened.
 
“Or you'll break my arm. I am aware of the punishment,” Uryu tried a smile but it slipped off his face before it could be properly formed.
 
Ichigo felt a moment of comprehension. The guy was trying to reassure Tatsuki, but he didn't feel very assured himself and that was why the smile didn't work.
 
“Once again I am astonished at how you are more interested in the inconsequential interplay between people rather than the problem you are currently facing,” the dark haired woman's voice held that commanding ring that was becoming too familiar.
 
Scanning the four people facing them, Ichigo wanted it to be over. If they could find out the penalties and then leave, then he might be able to forget about the stupid game and the group dates. If anyone asked him to join a group date in the future he might just immigrate to somewhere far away, like Australia, Greenland or Malta. No one would ask him on a group date in those places. Did teenagers even go on group dates in other countries? Okay, maybe he wouldn't immigrate but he would answer firmly in the negative if anyone asked again.
 
“We were summoned here on your behalf. Fortunately there were four bodies to spare so we availed ourselves of their use. It's not very comfortable in here with the constant complaining from the supposed owners, but it will have to do.” The orange haired boy spoke, then pressed the tips of his fingers to his mouth. “But how rude, we haven't introduced ourselves. I'm Lachesis, I measure your fate.”
 
“I'm Clotho, who spins your life line,” said the young girl and then she giggled, and winked at Chad meaningfully.
 
“And I am Atropos who decides when you will die,” `Urahara/Atropos said. “You are also graced by the presence of Dame Fortune.”
 
The dark haired woman bent her head slightly in acknowledgement. “Don't bother to introduce yourselves. We know who you are, when you were born and how you shall die. Mortals have such pitifully short lives, but occasionally they provide some amusement.”
 
Trying to be polite, but forceful, Ichigo addressed the four entities in front of him. “Thanks. I'm sure you're busy, um, interfering in people's lives and we don't want to get in the way of that. Let's make this quick. Tell us the penalties, inflict them and then you can leave us alone, go off an enjoy yourselves. I mean, if it's okay with you we'd like to get this over with and get back to our lives.”
 
“Blunt. Very blunt. I see you thought you were being polite,” chuckled `Clotho'. Her eyes crinkled at the edges, but the smile was chilling rather than reassuring.
 
“Clotho, of course he was, but he is still so young and without charm. Without charm. That gives me an idea,” and the young boy cackled after he said the words. “Charms can be so useful, especially if they have a family connection and a rather interesting side effect. Oh, I can see this will be fun.”
 
“An interesting idea. May I share it with you Dame Fortune?” Urahara leant across and whispered in the woman's ear.
 
She sat up sharply as he continued to explain and her eyes gleamed with an unnatural pleasure. “That would suit my plans, but it only punishes two of them, but they are the ones in which I have the most interest.”
 
“From penalties to punishments” murmured Uryu to Ichigo and Tatsuki.
 
Trying not to start at the observation, Ichigo realised it was true. Until now, there had only been mentions of penalties but now it was becoming a bit clearer that the penalties were meant to harm.
 
Trying to keep his voice steady Chad cleared his throat. “I am here to mediate between my friends and you,” he said as his husky voice filled the room.
 
“You have no place here. No real place in the world. Neither from this country or the other. All that binds you to this plane of reality is your will, your music and your friends. Foolish reasons. Leave here, boy. You are not our immediate concern. Later, perhaps…”
 
Chad flinched at the harshness of the words and Ichigo could see why. The words were needlessly cruel, but effective. “He stays. Give me another penalty if you have to, but he wants this to be fair.”
 
“As do we all, but then that is the problem, isn't it? What is fair? If I was fair to myself, would I also be fair to you? It's so hard to be impartial, so hard to measure justice into a bottle. So hard not to alter the balance of the scales in our favour,” Urahara's entity was speaking and the words were delivered in a rapid deadpan voice.
 
Measure justice into a bottle? What did that mean? What did any of it mean?
 
“We will give another penalty to you, but for a measure of fun it will be split between two of you,” the young boys rubbed his hands together with a show of pleasure. “That will be the last pronouncement, but for now, let's see, how many penalties were there?”
 
“500, wasn't it?” The dark haired woman turned to Urahara. “As the oldest of the fates, I am sure you agree.”
 
“It was five,” Uryu assured them, an edge to his voice. “Originally it was five and then one penalty was that we wouldn't know which made it four. The interruptions and problems we encountered at the park today would make it three penalties left. Then I believe you inflicted those memories upon us which makes two penalties.” He let out the breath he had been holding as he spoke.
 
“But there is one additional one because you wish to include the foreign person. The substitute agreed, but don't worry, cutie. That penalty does not fall on your shoulders,” `Clotho' sidled closer to Uryu who pulled away, distaste evident on his face.
 
“Stop playing with the human. He thinks you're serious,” Atropos said cuttingly to Clotho. “He's such a serious human.”
 
“Get on with it.” Tatsuki's almost shrieked the words as she leant forward.
 
After the shriek there was silence and all of the eyes of the possessed creatures seemed to turn on her, inspecting her as if she was an item for sale that they were considering purchasing. Each expression seemed to indicate that they found some deep flaw within her.
 
Tessai was the first to move. He bowed his head down to the mats and said, apologetically, “She is young and overwrought. She doesn't fully understand your powers and had trouble accepting your authority. Forgive her.”
 
“Oh, we shall see. Three penalties left, but one of those only applies to two of you. Very well. The first penalty is that the fortune revealed by the cards will come true, in some manner very, very soon. Normally we allow these things to drag on for years, but because you're young and impatient, now is as good a time as any.”
 
“I do not know how fair that is since it had been indicated to me that there was some manipulation of the cards,” Chad said.
 
“Fair or not, the penalty stands.”
 
Ichigo let out his breath, not sure if that was a bad thing. He knew that the fortunes would come true in some form, but soon was not good. Did that mean Orihime would start going out with Hat and Clogs? Shuddering at the thought he glanced at the man to find his stare returned.
 
The others seemed stunned as they sat there. Ichigo knew it was hard for them to remember all the things that had been said and the fortunes that applied.
 
“I won't win a gold medal. I won't be world class,” Tatsuki said disbelievingly. “Because I played a stupid game I lose my only dream.”
 
`And I'll die soon, again. Great. That's something to look forward to,” Renji said, trying to make his voice light, but the edge was obvious. “Hey, Rukia, maybe we'll die together.”
 
“Please, finish this. I am aware that you enjoy the build up of tension, but we are only weak humans who submit humbly to your pronouncements,” Uryu said.
 
“Nice words, pity about the sentiment behind them. Trying to play on our pride, Quincy? I tire of this,” `Dame Fortune' said and then smiled. The smile was neither pleasant nor reassuring. “The penalty that will apply to all of you and your friends and families is that you will forget. The romantic entanglements you have formed so recently will be forgotten along with any incidents related to them. In many ways you should thank us for this blessing. All those difficult feelings will be removed.”
 
Ichigo tried hard to deny what she was saying. All his feelings for Orihime would go? He'd forget the dates?
 
“You will also forget the Shinigami Abarai and all the secrets you have shared. It will be as if you never made the suggestion for the date,” Lachesis said to Rukia. “And you never will.”
 
His mouth feeling unnaturally dry Ichigo asked “Why? Why this penalty?”
 
`Urahara' smiled at him and the grin was not forced or pleasing. “I haven't finished with you and your friend. You will both have some very slight memory traces which you will never recapture. Often you won't even be aware of them. You, girl, will gain a charm which will cause you to act irrationally, or act the way you really feel, say things you would never say, but they will be true and these words may even destroy a friendship,” Atropos seemed very pleased with this idea. “To add to our fun we won't interfere. Any action you take under the influence of the charm will be completely unplanned and that should provide some entertainment.”
 
“What does that mean?” Ichigo asked. Memory traces and saying things they never meant to say? Why were they picking on him and Orihime? What had he done to annoy them so much?
 
Clotho laughed and the sound chilled him. “You will find out, but you won't remember. Imagine this sweet little girl freed of all her inhibitions. Oh, I can't wait to see that,” she clapped her hands.
 
“When does this penalty take effect?” Chad was retaining his focus and asking the most important questions.
 
“You make me laugh. What a funny person you are, trying to find a way to evade the penalties? As soon as you leave the shop new memories will overlay your real memories. You will each return home immediately and sleep. Tomorrow it will be as if this never happened, except for you two,” Clotho smiled lazily at Ichigo and Orihime.
 
“Now, our payment?”
 
Tessai went to the corner of the room and pulled out four plush toys that seemed strangely animated.
 
“More Kon's?” Ichigo thought with amazement. One was surely more than enough. What were they here for and why did seeing these creatures make him feel uneasy. Kon had started this whole mess and maybe these would add to his problems.
 
“What delightful pets these will make. We will see you all again, but none of you will see us, except for you, Kido Master. We have unfinished business. I look forward to your futures with considerable pleasure.”
 
The voice faded as the last few words were spoken and the four figures collapsed. Tessai immediately checked them and nodded to himself. “They're unconscious which is probably for the best. Being taken over by those powers is exhausting and they've spent hours ordering me around to do their bidding.”
 
It was easy for Ichigo to grasp what he was saying. After he had been taken over he had felt so tired and frustrated, but he hadn't been possessed for hours. He didn't even want to imagine what that would be like.
 
His thoughts were interrupted as Tatsuki yawned loudly. “I'm tired. I think I'll go to bed.” She sleepily rose to her feet and wandered to the door. Uryu hurriedly followed her.
 
“Stay a little longer. You'll fail to remember everything by tomorrow morning. If we can just share some sweet moments together,” he said standing between her and the door.
 
“What's the point? We'll forget everything. To be honest, I want to forget a lot of what happened. Not you and I, but the rest of it,” Tatsuki sounded tired and miserable.
 
Gazing at her unhappy expression, Uryu nodded and then opened the door. “I will walk you home this last time.” They left together.
 
“Is there nothing we can do?” Orihime asked Tessai with little hope.
 
“I did the best I could. None of us will recall these events, except for your memory traces,” Tessai bent his head sadly and observed Urahara.
 
Rukia went across and touched the older man on the shoulder. “What did she mean by seeing you again?”
 
Tessai shrugged and then patted her hand gently and then removed it. “I took a risk. Sometimes it works, this time it did not. You should go home. There is no choice about this.”
 
Renji immediately pulled Rukia into an embrace and kissed her, apparently not caring about the audience.
 
“Excuse me, um Mr Tessai. I know this is very rude, but would it be possible for Ichigo and I to say, oh, this sounds silly,” she paused as colour stained her cheeks a bright pink. “I want to say good bye, in private.”
 
His face turned to her and his glasses flashed in the light as he nodded his head. “It's only to be expected. Go into the next room. I'm sorry that it's a bedroom, but if you close the door no one will interrupt.”
 
Orihime went and opened the door indicated, her face turned away and she went through the door slowly. Ichigo stood there irresolute. “I know you're young, but don't be foolish,” a voice told him.
 
Without looking around he followed Orihime and shut the door. She was sitting on the bed, and her gaze seemed fixed on her hands. Before he could speak she said,” I wish I'd lost my inhibitions because then I'd ask you to…. But I won't because I'll forget and I want to remember.”
 
While Ichigo tried to work out what she meant he moved closer. “Why do we have to forget?”
 
Orihime gave a small sigh. “I wanted so much for you to notice me. Oh, Ichigo, if only we could remain friends instead of forgetting.”
 
The sadness in her voice was unmistakable but he was relieved to notice that she wasn't crying. He sat on the bed next to her, took her hand and smiled at her ruefully. It was hard to think of anything to say that wouldn't sound stupid but he tried. “We get the memory traces.”
 
Shaking her head Orihime didn't seem to find this reassuring. “I think it will be more frustrating than anything and we'll never remember everything and we might not even notice the memory traces.” She turned and looked into his eyes. “You won't remember this so I think I can say it. I think I can tell you how I feel because it won't matter as soon as we leave.”
 
Before she could speak, Ichigo interrupted. He didn't want to hear her say words that would make him regret the penalties even more. “Don't,” he said and kissed her. Without tears, interruptions, people watching, sarcastic comments or the other things that had plagued their previous kisses, he kissed her.
 
When their lips finally separated he found he was dazed. That kiss was more than he'd hoped for, more than he'd expected. Without further conversation, as if by tacit agreement, they got up and left, nodding vaguely to Tessai as they left, barely noticing the absence of Rukia and Renji.
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx
 
Once outside the shop Ichigo looked at his class mate. “Why did you want me to bring you here, Orihime? Couldn't you get Tatsuki to come with you?”
 
“I'm sorry Ichigo. You said you were familiar with this shop and I wanted to see what it sold. Tatsuki's busy training, remember.”
 
He nodded slightly at her response. That was right, Tatsuki had conned him into this. She was such friends with this girl and until now hadn't seemed very keen on the two of them spending much time together. Whatever, it didn't matter to Ichigo. The girl was pretty and had assets, but he didn't have a lot of time for girls, not the way Rukia kept him busy killing Hollows and with his school work and everything.
 
“I'll walk you home,” he said grudgingly and kept a frustrated silence on the way to her home. As soon as they arrived he looked at her and had a flicker of memory of doing this once before, but it faded as soon as it commenced. “See you tomorrow,” he said abruptly and left for his own home.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note:
 
Gestalt: An entity made up of more than one person/being where the whole is more than the sum of its parts.
 
There, it's done. Complete. This chapter worked out much longer than anticipated, but I promised myself I would finish it, no matter the length. As I wrote this story, I realised it actually could be the prequel to Orihime's Groundhog Day and the fragments of memories from these events might cause her to act the way she did throughout the story, especially her rather OOC reactions in Chapter One. As to whether I write another Ichi/Hime story, at present, I don't know.
 
This was the ending that was planned all along, and I hope you enjoyed it. It did go on a rather different path to a date story, but it's more fun to stray from the expected.
 
The title of this chapter was inspired by the song “Go with the Flow” by Queens of the Stone Age.
 
Please review.
 
MS