Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Frozen Disposition ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Frozen Disposition
Pairing: Byakuya and Renji, implied IchigoxRukia
A/N: Inspired by CMC42's awesome byaxren fics. This wouldn't leave me alone.
Disclaimer: Bleach was created by Tite Kubo, not me, and is owned/licensed by Shonen Jump. I make no money writing this fanfiction.

***

Ever since he could remember, Byakuya wrestled with emotions. They were dangerous things that had to be closely fettered if he was to succeed in his role as head of the Kuchiki clan. Years of youth had burned fierce quick temper out of his heart, to be replaced with great restraint. Yes, Byakuya knew anger all too well, but it was his response that was tempered as much as any other skill.

“Emotions are burdensome,” Byakuya repeated to himself, lifting the graceful blade of his zanpakuto aloft. The silver-gloved hand wrapped around the hilt, at the level of his eye as he peered alongside the blade and it divided his immediate view in half.

This afforded him a measured view of his opponent. Two men seemed vastly different as they faced off. Across from him, the blaze of chaotic red spilled out of a black hair band, fluttering in the slight breeze. Dark eyes the color of topaz burned small and hot, their owner furrowing his distinctively marked brows. Raising his sword, he turned it to an angle perpendicular to his tall stance, crouching over slightly.

“So, we begin, Abarai Fukaitaicho.”

“Ready when you are, Kuchiki Taicho,” Renji bantered, as his captain's icy blue gaze locked into his. Everything about Renji bothered him, Byakuya reflected. He was unrefined, chaotic, and crude. Yet he performed his job well and held the respect of many of the other captains and officers in the 13 court guard squads.

“Ruffian,” Byakuya whispered under his breath.

“Stuck up tightass,” Renji whispered. Byakuya pretended he did not hear the insult, rather focusing his annoyance into his unaffected façade.

Byakuya focused his reiatsu into the center of his being. One moment he was there, and then the next he flash stepped towards Renji. Sword at the level of his hip. However, he was not surprised when Renji's blade crossed his and parried the cutting stroke.

“Beginner stuff! Aren't ya gonna play serious?” Renji taunted, spinning around.

“So you wish to try my patience again, Abarai?” Byakuya rumbled his voice deep for one who seemed only slightly smaller than Renji. As he spun and blocked Renji's swiping blow his captain's coat swirled around him like a cloud.

He was not surprised either to hear “Howl Zabimaru” when his back was turned.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the red and black blur, and then uttered his own release, “Scatter, Senbonzakura.”

Minute blades flickered from the hilt, wafting easily in the swirling wind to cloud around him. They moved as a mass, blocking the swiping whip of Renji's blows. Rarely did they spar, but since the invasion of the ryoka, Byakuya had felt a need to see if he was up to par.

He had not expected Renji to visit him in his hospital room in the Squad 4 headquarters. In fact, he was astonished Renji did not hate him. After all, he had every reason to loathe and despise his captain. Nevertheless, Renji had faithfully stuck by him… almost like a pet dog.

“Figures,” Byakuya allowed himself a small smile. A small flick of his wrist scattered his shikai into a cloud drifting in random patterns. Renji's whipping slashes cleared and scattered from a distance, but could not reach him.

One handed Renji continued to swipe and spin away his blade, whirling it around his head so quickly it whipped up the tiny minute petals. Slightly surprised Byakuya stood as still as a statue, uttering “Way of Binding 61. Six bars of light…”

“Oh no ya don't!” Renji barked, as the six rods sizzled towards him. Randomly he seemed to flash step all over the place, his blade alone blocking each of the shafts before they could converge.

“Clever, but not clever enough,” Byakuya quipped, flicking his wrist again. A slash of his shikai slammed into Renji's sword hand before he could extend Zabimaru, while his right hand redirected the incantation. Renji cursed and swore, bound by the rods that slid fast around him.

“Damn it!”

“You really aren't taking me seriously either if you allow me to capture you so easily,” Byakuya chided him. He flash stepped closer, only his Senbonzakura petals floating in the space between his bound vice-captain and himself now.

“Ya got me, damn it. Shoulda known,” Renji snorted. He still swung his sword around, causing Byakuya to dodge it and counter.

“Do you yield, Abarai?” Byakuya asked.

“No damn way,” Renji gritted. Right next to his ear Byakuya's breath wafted, distracting him.

What he did not expect was that Renji flicked HIS Wrist, and the whip sword arced around and slammed Byakuya in the back. Propelling him forwards he was pushed close to the angle of his six-rod prison. Renji's hand seized the front of his kimono and yanked him forwards; startling Byakuya, so much he lost his concentration.

“You dare…” Byakuya managed to scold before Renji's face shoved right into his.

“You bet,” Renji grinned, yanking his captain up to his level. Suddenly Byakuya saw stars as a hard skull collided with his. Dizzied, he dropped the hilt of his weapon and cursed.

Thousands of petals swirled back to their hilt, and Senbonzakura clattered on the training field. Energy sizzled from the six-rod prison as Byakuya was tugged against it. An instant later it fizzled out, Byakuya able to see it out of the corner of his eyes. He staggered on his feet, his head throbbing in pain.

“Pale fire…” Byakuya gritted, raising his hand before him.

“Oh no, none of that, Taicho,” Renji's voice cheerfully cautioned. A large hand seized his wrist, twisting it around, then Byakuya felt his vice Captain's body pressing into him from behind.

“You are trying my patience, Abarai. You would do well to release me while you still are alive,” Byakuya threatened, voice low and cold. His body shivered from head to toe with the warmth that surrounded him.

“Now I got ya,” Renji taunted, breath fanning Byakuya's ear.

“Not so,” Byakuya disputed, spinning around. His gloved hand snapped Renji so their positions reversed, and Renji slammed towards him. Both their bodies collided, bringing their faces close together. A quick twist caused Renji to drop Zabimaru, and it clattered in its released form beside Senbonzakura.

Now he could study Renji's dark eyes from a much closer vantage point. Byakuya noticed that the angular eyes were rimmed in black, giving them a dangerous and exotic appearance that was quite handsome. Little wonder Rukia found him attractive. Up close Renji's eyes laughed at danger, and it was something that Byakuya hated and found exhilarating at the same time.

“You always mock me, Abarai, forgetting your place,” Byakuya whispered, twisting Renji's arm so it was flat against his chest, while grabbing his other wrist.

“Seems you don't mind me bein' close to where you are now, Taicho,” Renji whispered, glancing down with a mixture of fear and amusement.

“Foolishness,” Byakuya muttered, noticing how Renji's nostrils flared, and how the dark irises dilated. His hard warm body rubbed up against the noble's causing him to feel those dangerous burdensome emotions again.

“Taicho, y all right?” Renji asked.

Byakuya blinked up at him. “I am well Abarai. Why do you ask such a silly question?”

“You seemed t' be staring off into space. Is the match over sir?”

“Indeed. We have both disarmed one another, and it seems pointless to continue. Considering the hardness of your head and the unnecessary damage it has inflicted on my concentration,” Byakuya said in measured complaint.

“Sorry Taicho. Didn't mean ta give ya a headache. But seemed like the best move t' try,” Renji apologized once Byakuya released him. Stepping back, Byakuya bent down to collect his weapon, watching Renji grab his.

“It was an unorthodox move, but… somewhat resourceful. Though you must know I allowed you to overpower me,” Byakuya refuted.

“Of course sir,” Renji quickly answered, metal rasping as he slid Zabimaru into its sheath. Taking hold of his own scabbard Byakuya wiped his weapon with a cloth that Renji tossed to him.

“Here. Sorry about making ya drop Senbonzakura. I know ya hate getting it dirty.”

“That will do, Fukaitaicho,” Byakuya cut him off, running the cloth reverently over his blade. He felt Renji's eyes watching him as he shined it to a polish and clicked it into place.

“Kuchiki Taicho?”

“What is it?” Byakuya asked a weary tone evident in his voice.

“You wanted me to remind ya about Rukia's… I mean Lady Rukia's upcoming seat trials. Captain Ukitake wanted t' meet with you later today to talk it over and set a date since you know her whereabouts…”

“You know them as well, Abarai Fukaitaicho,” Byakuya murmured.

“I know you're not one hundred percent nuts about her visiting' the kid,” Renji saw his captain rolling his eyes. “Seein' as you didn't want anyone else t' know…”

“What is your point?”

“Well, just reminding ya that you're not the only one sir… who doesn't quite get the attraction and all…”

“So you seek to try and give me your sympathy? As if you would possibly comprehend such matters?” Byakuya asked turning and regarding him coolly.

“No disrespect sir. Just wanted ya to know what I thought is all,” Renji relented, and inclined his head.

Byakuya could not suppress the sigh. Why was Renji Abarai bothering to even say such things in his company? These matters were not his concern. Still the rough way in which Renji agreed of his disapproval was reassuring. Both of them guarded Rukia jealously in their own ways, neither wanting to let her go.

“Is that your honest opinion or is it merely parroting what I say because you fear my reaction to your disagreement, Abarai Fukaitaicho?” he asked.

“I'm telling ya the truth, sir. Maybe it's not my place t' bring it up, but I figured ya might need someone else t' say it? So you know you're not alone?”

*Not alone.* Byakuya laughed to himself. Imagine his vice captain saying something that would be comforting. Perhaps he was hallucinating from Renji's blow to his head causing a concussion. Glancing over one shoulder he saw a softness in his vice captain's eyes. Then he looked away.

“You don't wish to let her go any more than I do, Abarai,” Byakuya said, back turned to him. The ends of his silk scarf fluttered to the side, then fell flat once the gust of wind had abated. From behind, he felt the weight of Renji's gaze, and sensed the approaching of his reiatsu.

“That's right, Taicho,” Renji agreed. “It hurts when someone ya care about just goes and does something ya can't understand why. After all you've done for `em, and you thought ya knew `em.”

“Did we know her as well as we thought, Abarai Fukaitaicho?” Byakuya again asked, turning around to face him. “You knew her even before I. Do her actions make logical sense?”

“No sir, they don't.” Renji shook his head. “And maybe you'd wanna take this discussion to a more private place, considering ya hate Kuchiki clan business spoken in public places.”

“Indeed. That is a most prudent suggestion.” Byakuya nodded. He strode out of the training ring, Renji quickly walking on long legs to match his stride.

*****

“I gotta admit sir; I've never had tea with you before. Ya sure you're feeling all right?” Renji asked a half hour later.

“The rumbling of your infernal stomach was becoming tiresome,” Byakuya answered, and then lifted his cup to sip at his own tea. Across the desk from Renji, he sat in his office, his Vice Captain occupying the less comfortable chair.

“Sorry sir,” Renji apologized, his statement vanishing in the mouthful of food he now consumed. On a lacquered tray sat a few emptied bowls, neatly stacked. Lunch had seemed an excellent idea, so Captain Kuchiki had ordered it brought directly there, and Renji had made the request himself.

What surprised his vice captain was being invited to join him, and being allowed to partake of the rich food. Renji seemed to appreciate it far more than other guests he had invited. Even Ukitake. There were very few he considered peers, and Renji did not exactly fit the bill, but he was his subordinate officer. It was not inappropriate for such interactions.

“Why do you consider taiyaki so important?” Byakuya asked.

“Sir?” Renji asked, coughing a bit.

“Tayaki. That's what my sister always insisted on giving to you for a birthday present, is it not?” Byakuya asked.

“Well you've had it right? It's one of the best treats you can have… though I'm sure you're going to say there's something far better sir,” Renji sighed.

“It does have a distinctive pleasant flavor I'll admit,” Byakuya said. “But considering all the other items she could have graced you with, to offer you food seems quite…”

“Common sir?” Renji laughed. “Well one thing ya probably learned from me an' Rukia… I mean Lady Rukia was that when we were kids, food was the most important thing. So when you give food to someone ya care about it's the best gift,” Renji said.

“I see,” Byakuya nodded, holding out his cup. Renji picked up the pot and poured him another serving. “Thank you.”

“Welcome. No worries. But I guess it's something ya nobles don't think about as important right, sir?”

“Perhaps not, Abarai Fukaitaicho. However, edibles are not considered inappropriate as gifts. What I question is the choice of gift for one such as her who seems quite enamored of you, a longtime acquaintance,” Byakuya pointed out.

“Maybe it's because she was reminding me of something she left behind. Reminding me that she was a Kuchiki cause I let her go,” Renji said.

“Let her go? How exactly did you `let her go'? There was little to stop her from accepting the offer. She is a Kuchiki by decree and that is as binding as blood,” Byakuya sniffed.

“That's it sir. I could have stopped her. Could have said no. But I didn't. Cause I figured you'd have way more t' offer her than I could. But I know now she thought I was wimping out on her,” Renji confessed, voice sounding deflated and sad.

“You were wise to make that decision,” Byakuya reminded him. “She has benefitted from entering the Kuchiki clan, and flourished in my care. You cannot deny that, Abarai. So why question your judgment now?”

“I dunno. Because she was expectin' more of me. I was family to her in Inuzuri. Maybe it's nuts of me to admit that to you, but I figured…”

“You seem to draw a parallel between your allowing Rukia to join the clan, and my current situation? That somehow sympathizing with me through your confession you may seek to offer some… comfort?” Byakuya asked.

“Maybe it's overstepping my bound sir, but I thought it couldn't hurt. You're not exactly yourself lately, and I guess I wanted to help,” Renji said.

“As a good fukaitaicho should,” Byakuya agreed.

“Not just a fukaitaicho sir, but as a well… someone who well… oh hell forget it.”

“Someone who what, Abarai?” Byakuya asked, leaning forward and resting his chin on his folded hand.

“Someone who knows what ya might be goin' thru and wants t' help ya? Even if it's just to let ya know someone cares. And not cause yer my commanding officer, but because well…”

Renji turned his head away, and then set his cup down. Byakuya saw him clenching and unclenching his hands, squirming in his seat. Curious, Byakuya asked, “Do continue.”

“I worry about you, sir,” Renji admitted, his voice low.

“Is that so,” Byakuya answered. He saw Renji snap up his head abruptly, those eyes wide with surprise.

“Sir… yes of course sir,” Renji nodded.

“It is most appreciated Abarai Fukaitaicho,” Byakuya informed him, giving him a solemn look.

“Well… sure, glad to help Taicho,” Renji blurted out, licking his lips. He rubbed at his neck, seemingly flustered. Kuchiki watched him amused at how off guard his vice captain seemed. He must not have expected such an answer.

“Despite what you may think, Abarai, I do notice your efforts to serve me. Although I fail to complement you, you are an asset. The fact though that you offer your sympathy is unexpected, yet welcome. I simply did not realize the need for it till now,” Byakuya admitted.

“Sir,” Renji began with a blood-flushed face. “I just hate thinking of Rukia with that… that damn kid… it just burns me up that she'd throw away and overlook someone who cares about her and has loved her since…”

“I know, Abarai. I feel much the same,” Byakuya sighed.

“Sir, I didn't mean to say that damn it… I just lost my judgment,” Renji cursed, putting a hand over his mouth and rising from his chair. “I shouldn't have said that…”

“Sit down, Abarai Fukaitaicho, now,” Byakuya sharply ordered.

“I'm sorry sir…”

“Don't be sorry. What is the need for apology? You've voiced an honest opinion haven't you?” Byakuya questioned, glancing up at Renji pacing about. Sighing Renji lowered himself into the chair again, dragging it closer.

“Yeah. I love her, Taicho. Guess it's out now. And having her chose that damn kid over me just kills me.”

“It vexes me as well, Abarai-san,” Byakuya admitted, voice low to a near whisper. Renji leaned closer and rested is hand on the desk near Byakuya's.

“Must be hard for you too, sir, huh?”

“Indeed,” Byakuya said, and nodded. “It puzzles me why she would abandon her position here and seek the company of a human. A ryoka with no manners in favor of elevating her status here. “

“You couldn't get Ukitake Taicho to keep from sending her on a mission to the living world. An even with me there an' you there tryin' to understand... hell Taicho couldn't ya fix her up with someone an keep her here?”

“Fix her up? My sister seems quite resolute in defying me. Moreover, although I hate to admit it, the ryoka Kurosaki is the son of a Shinigami, and has considerable power. It seems he has the ability to protect her as well as you or me. I do not like Kurosaki for I find him boorish and frustrating. He does not pay me the proper respect. But she would do far worse though I am loath to say,” Byakuya said with disgust.

“It's not like ya to give up, Kuchiki Taicho,” Renji growled.

“She has made her feelings clear on this matter,” Byakuya frowned. “But Kurosaki has done nothing to molest or overstep his boundaries regarding her propriety.”

“Damn, so much for that idea,” Renji snapped his fingers. Byakuya noticed how his vice captain rested both arms on the desk now, leaning his long body across it.

“I am not giving up as you say. Nevertheless, I have no desire to lose my sister. I will not make it easy for the ryoka however,” he informed his vice captain as he nodded.

“Good. Because Rukia deserves the best,” Renji whispered, leaning close.

“On that we agree, Abarai-san,” Byakuya nodded, lips inches from Renji's. A lump rose in his throat as he leaned forward and grasped Renji's chin. Simultaneously Renji darted his hand out and brushed aside a lock of Byakuya's hair.

“I just hate seeing ya hurtin' sir… and sayin' nothing when I know its killin' ust both, is all. And maybe I'm gonna get punished, but I can't…” Renji whispered. His breath was hot and sweet, fanning Byakuya's face.

There was such sadness and need in those eyes. Such pain that it wrenched Byakuya's chest. Lightly he brushed his lips over Renji's grasping the front of his vice captain's kimono and holding him prisoner. A pot of ink tipped over, spilling black puddles over official documents but Byakuya ignored it. His mouth tasted hot rough lips and he felt the warmth spilling from Renji to him.

Renji flinched and blinked as Byakuya drew back. “Sir… I'm sorry I shouldn't have…”

“Don't be ridiculous Abarai-san, I was the one who initiated the action. You simply yielded. And you are not at fault for that,” Byakuya reprimanded him.

“I… I don't know what to say sir…” Renji whispered.

“Say nothing, then,” Byakuya hoarsely murmured, pulling tightly on Renji's kimono. “But come closer.”

Gingerly Renji pushed himself so he slid around the desk and bent over the Captain's chair. Sensing that Byakuya would not relinquish his grip, he felt it was wise. Indeed Byakuya was pleased Renji did not crawl on top of the desk but leaned over him. Slowly Byakuya stood up, so his head was level with his Vice Captain, then pulled him by that fold of cloth and pushed him towards the chair.

“Sit down, Abarai Fukaitaicho,” Byakuya ordered.

“Yes sir,” Renji nodded his heart pounding and his eyes wide. Grasping the sides of Renji's face Byakuya leaned in and sealed off his lips. Hungrily he devoured Renji's rough mouth, pressing his tongue deeply and feeling Renji yielding. A soft moan was muffled on his mouth, and Byakuya moved forward to sit on his vice captain's knees.

Renji's hand slid up gently, rubbing at Byakuya's cheek. The captain of the sixth division slid his half-gloved fingers into Renji's hair, untying the white headband and pulling at his topknot. The elastic broke, spilling scarlet hair over Renji's shoulders. Picking it up in his hands Byakuya felt the softness of it so like his own.

Breaking the kiss Byakuya glanced down, his mouth open and eyes half shut. Renji blinked up at him, brow obscured by the tendrils of straight hair as he panted, “Sir… what do you want… me to do?”

“Continue as you were,” Byakuya instructed, swinging his legs so he sat across Renji's lap in a more dignified position. Renji slid his arm over his captain's waist to hold him in place, kissing his captain's temple softly.

“Kuchiki Taicho, you're not alone,” Renji breathed, wrapping his arms around Byakuya tightly. Unaccustomed to the feeling Byakuya rested his brow to Renji's his own hair tickling Renji's forehead.

“Neither are you, Abarai-san, for I see you do comprehend after all,” Byakuya nodded, closing his eyes. Neither said another word, Renji simply stroking his Captain's back and inhaling the scent of rich perfume. In turn, Byakuya simply ran his fingers through Renji's hair and bent down for another hard kiss.