Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Not so Bad Day ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Not so Bad Day
Author: Dolphin_26
Rating: T
Summary: Ichigo’s bad day turns out to be not so bad.
Disclaimer: I don’t own Bleach or any of its characters. They belong to Tite Kubo.


The sun was bright; the sky was cloudless. The morning was pleasantly warm. All in all the day promised to be perfect.

However, when Orihime showed up at his house to walk to school with him, Ichigo knew today wasn’t going to be good.

For the past several months the bubbly girl had been acting oddly around him. Ichigo lost count of how many times she had put herself in danger just so she could be near him. Lately she was showing up everywhere he went. One night after Orihime left from another unexpected visit his dad asked him about her. That conversation opened Ichigo’s eyes to a very uncomfortable reality. Isshin’s idiotic façade was put aside so that Ichigo would have his full attention, which eased the teen’s mind a little.

Unfortunately, when Orihime showed up Ichigo’s heart sank. He had spent the past few nights trying to find a way to not hurt her and he still couldn’t think of one. There was just no easy way to tell her the truth. The normally energetic girl seemed nervous and instead of walking she stood in front of him fidgeting.

“What’s wrong?” It wasn’t the best question to ask but the only one that came to his mind. He silently prayed that she was coming down with something or she’d not answer.

She refused to look him in the eye. “Well, I wanted to tell you that you’re really important to me.”

‘Shit!’ He cursed mentally as his mind blanked out.

Orihime was now blushing, “I want to always be at your side.” She paused completely unaware of anything other than her confession. “Ichigo, I love you.” She looked him in the eyes with hope shining in hers.

He closed his eyes unable to speak at the moment. Right now he wished he could run away. Taking a deep breath he opened his eyes. Something must have shown on his face because she seemed to shrink into herself. He shook his head sadly. “I’m sorry but I can’t return your feelings.”

She looked like she was going to cry, “But why?”

Dad said to be honest. “I’m in love with someone else.”

Orihime backed away trying to hide the tears that were starting to fall down her shocked face. “Oh-well, I..uh-?” She turned and ran off.

Ichigo didn’t like hurting her but he wouldn’t lie to her or to himself.

The day didn’t get any better.

Apparently Orihime ran to Tatsuki to cry, which caused the temperamental girl to get pissed off at him. She was angry enough to punch him in the jaw as soon as he walked into the classroom.

Chad ignored him.

The rest of his classmates gave him dirty looks. A few of the braver ones lectured him. A couple of the even braver guys actually ambushed him in between classes.

Ichigo thought he was doing well keeping his temper in check until he got ambushed. Those two guys were going to be spending the rest of the day in the nurse’s office. Rumor of the fight quickly spread causing the rest of his classmates to back off.

During lunch Ichigo stood on the roof alone for a couple of minutes. Even though his classmates were angry with him for hurting Orihime only one of them was livid enough to follow him up there. Ichigo wasn’t surprised when Uryu stormed onto the roof with the obvious intention of fighting him.

“Ichigo-“

Ichigo cut him off. “Tell me something Uryu, what’s worse? Telling her the truth or telling her a lie that will eventually fall apart, making both of us miserable, not to mention what it would do to you.”

The Quincy responded stiffly, “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Of course not, you don’t have the guts to admit to her or anyone else that you love her.”

Uryu’s anger cleared a little at those words. “You really don’t love her?”

Ichigo turned to face the Quincy while rubbing the back of his head in irritation. “I’ve never seen her as more than a sister and treated her as such. That might be the problem though.”

“I see. You really do love someone else, don’t you?” Uryu asked.

Ichigo sighed, “I don’t know if he’ll ever return my feelings, or if he’ll try to freeze me in a block of ice that will never melt.” He grinned at Uryu, “Maybe Orihime will see what’s been in front of her this entire time.”
Uryu glared and blushed, “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Right.” Ichigo’s grin turned to a smirk. “Just like there’s no chance of Renji ever admitting that instead of wanting to kill Byakuya he would rather fuck him.”

The Quincy wisely refrained from commenting.


The rest of the school day passed by with everyone except Uryu treating him like the devil himself. Irritated and still upset from hurting Orihime, the teen walked to the river to get away from everyone. Sitting on the hill, time passed without Ichigo noticing. The setting sun lit up the sky like a fire.

“This is one of the few beautiful things in this world.”

Ichigo jumped at the sound of the voice he dreamed of. His eyes widened when he turned his head and saw Toshiro, in a gigai no less, standing a few feet away. The face that was normally scowling in irritation was now relaxed as it was bathed in the last of the sun’s rays. The Squad Ten Captain looked stunning. Ichigo’s mouth went dry. “T-Toshiro, what are you doing here?”

The expected reminder of rank never came much to Ichigo’s surprise; however, the teen did receive a measuring glance. “I had to run an errand here. When Rukia found out she asked me to check on you because something happened.”

Ichigo blinked a few times. “But how did she know and why ask you?” Not that he minded.

The shorter male scowled. “The Quincy called her while she was in my office visiting Rangiku. Rangiku mentioned my errand. It was decided that since I already had permission to be here, I would be the one to check on you.”

Translation: I came here because Rukia guilt tripped me while Rangiku badgered me.

The orange-haired strawberry stifled the urge to chuckle at the image of the two women doing exactly that. He was glad the ice wielder didn’t pressure him to tell what was wrong. “So what kind of errand did you have to run?” Toshiro’s presence was very calming even though it made butterflies dance in his stomach.

“Urahara requested some information as well as help with a project,” answered the ice wielder as he sat down beside the strawberry, which surprised him.

The butterflies in his stomach acted like they had been given a shot of caffeine. “Tell me he isn’t creating another hogyoku.”

Toshiro snorted, “Thankfully he’s not. Unfortunately, I’m going to be here for a few days to keep an eye on his progress.”

Casually Ichigo asked, “So where are you staying?” He tried not to get his hopes up.

“Definitely not at Orihime’s place.” Toshiro shivered from the memories of the last time he had done that. “Urahara has offered to let me stay with him.”

“You could stay with me. My dad wouldn’t mind.” Ichigo blurted out scared that his prince would refuse. His dad really wouldn’t mind. Especially once he learned that Toshiro was the one his son had fallen for. “It’s a lot better than wondering if Hat-and-Clogs spiked your tea.”

He was once again on the receiving end of a measuring look. “You have a point. I’ll stay with you.”

Ichigo grinned like a loon, but the grin disappeared as soon as he heard someone yell at him.

“Hey Kurosaki, you suck!” It was one of the guys he had put in the nurse’s office.

Ichigo frowned, “Toshiro?”

“What?”

“What 217;s better: telling someone the truth or lying to them?”

It was a few minutes before the prodigy answered, “Lying would be more convenient; however, ultimately the truth is better. Does this have anything to do with what happened earlier?”

“Yeah,” Ichigo sighed, “I know I did the right thing by telling Orihime no. No one else seems to understand.” He glanced at his companion. “They only see that I’ve hurt her.”

“I know it’s none of my business, but why would you turn her down?”

Ichigo smiled sadly. “There are some things she wouldn’t understand.” Like the fact that I have a twisted hollow inside of me. Unspoken were the words: I want someone I don’t have to protect. “Plus I’ve fallen in love with someone else.”

The prodigy looked at him calmly. “Do you think this person will understand?”

Even though his insides were all knotted up, talking like this to the one he loved was nice. “I believe he will if I ever get the nerve to tell him.” Around Toshiro the teen didn’t feel like he had to remain strong, it was okay to be vulnerable.

“What’s stopping you from telling him?” Toshiro’s eyes never left his face; almost like they were looking for something. “What would you do if he was standing here right now? What if he feels the same way but just doesn’t have the words to tell you?”

Ichigo thought for a moment before answering. “If he couldn’t find the words then he should just show me.”

The sun had finally gone down and now they were surrounded by the night sky. Since they were at the river, the view of the moon and stars was amazing. Sitting beside the ice wielder and talking to him had eased some of the guilt. Suddenly his vision was blocked by a cool hand which covered his eyes. “Toshiro?”

“Don’t say anything,” commanded the ice wielder whose voice was soft.

Ichigo swallowed, refraining from asking what the hell was going on. His heart pounded in his ears almost painfully. The smaller hand’s coolness felt good. The tightly controlled reiatsu seemed to merge seamlessly with his own uncontrolled reiatsu. What seemed like eternity passed before something happened. Cool lips pressed against his lips gently. Thankfully his body reacted to the long desired touch because his brain function completely halted. He returned the gentle kiss moaning softly. Toshiro broke the kiss before removing his hand from the teen’s eyes.

The shorter male kneeled in front of Ichigo, his teal eyes swirling with emotions. It took a few seconds for Ichigo to get his breath back. That was unexpected but definitely very pleasant. His brain didn’t seem capable of connecting two letters together to even begin forming words. Their eyes remained locked together.

Ichigo suddenly had a lopsided grin on his face as his brain finally managed to process the fact that Toshiro just kissed him. The one he loved returned his feelings.

Toshiro shifted to stand-an idea Ichigo didn’t care for-his face unreadable. The teen reached out and pulled the startled prodigy into his arms. Said prodigy grunted at the force of the move.

“Kurosaki, what…?” Toshiro’s question was cut off by Ichigo’s lips covering his. This kiss had a bit of force behind it because the teen was trying to convey all of his feelings through it. Both of them moaned softly. Regretfully, Ichigo pulled away to see his prodigy’s face lightly flushed. Smiling happily, Ichigo placed several butterfly kisses on Toshiro’s face. “Does this mean I can introduce you as my boyfriend from now on?”

The blush on Toshiro’s cheeks darkened as he mumbled, “Baka.” He looked everywhere but at Ichigo when he said, “Yes.” He let out what might have been a squeak when Ichigo nearly squeezed him to death in a bone crushing hug.

The day may have started out crappy but it ended wonderfully.


AN: I wrote this story several months ago. It has nothing to do with Treat or Treat and Time to Meet You. I’m kind of stuck right now on the latter story so I decided to post this while I work out the kinks.