Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Orihime's Groundhog Day ❯ Second Attempt ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Bleach.Tite Kubo owns bleach and isn't is a wonderful story?
More food, angst, realisations and confusion. Some mention of love, but sadly not Ichigo's for Orihime.

Second Attempt
As she waited for the final minutes of the 4 hours to end, Orihime wondered what she should do. It seemed that food had an influence that needed to be controlled. If they ate the fast food, the additives made her act strangely. She was sure about that if they went to the Italian Restaurant, Ichigo would eat too much and fall asleep. So, she should insist they eat something else. Ichigo did not want to go to the Sushi bar last time. She'd have to come up with another alternative.
As she remembered the events of the last 4 hours, she noticed that some things did not change. Ichigo said he hated science projects and the Shinigami Battle Licence had alerted Ichigo to the presence of the hollow both times. Thinking about this, Orihime remembered something that Jidanbo had mentioned. Some events could not be changed, especially if they were caused by an external influence. She didn't understand why Ichigo's comment about science projects was repeated. It seemed to be a trigger for something. Orihime looked at her hands where she was holding the charm. Should she repeat the last 4 hours?
It was really a question she didn't have to ask. She wanted Ichigo's love and friendship. Orihime had restored the friendship, she hoped, but had made no progress in persuading Ichigo to fall in love with her. She would repeat the 4 hours. As she sat looking at her charm, she felt it heat up. That meant two things. The 4 hours was up and fate had accepted the change. That made her feel better. She would still have Ichigo's friendship.
Quickly now Orihime invoked the charm again: `Kurikaesu. Repeat'
She felt the same strange sensation as though she was being pulled backwards. It was only for a moment and then she was walking down the street with Ichigo.
`Let's eat here,' said Ichigo as they passed a burger chain.
`Another trigger phrase,' Orihime recognized, but that was only to be expected. The 4 hours commenced with Ichigo's comment.
Orihime shook her head. `I don't think that is a good idea, Ichigo. Now she was repeating herself.
`How about we try that seafood restaurant?' Orihime pointed at a restaurant that had only opened recently. `I hear they sell two meals for the price of one if you eat before 6.00 pm. Want to try it? I'll pay,' Orihime said quickly as she noticed Ichigo's eyes stray to the Italian restaurant.
`Seafood is good for the brain,' Orihime reasoned as she saw Ichigo frown. Maybe they could have a healthy light meal and Ichigo wouldn't fall asleep.
`Okay. I would have liked to try that Italian place. I hear you can eat as much as you want,' Ichigo responded as they entered the restaurant. `I'll let you pay seeing you suggested it.' He looked at her stunned face and grinned. `Only kidding. We'll go Dutch. Why it's called that I don't know. Maybe the Dutch are either very miserly or very sensible. I've never met anyone Dutch,' Ichigo mused as they were seated at their table.
The waitress handed them the menus and quickly reeled off the day's specials. As Orihime expected, Ichigo chose the biggest meal on the menu, most of it deep fried with a side order of chips. She looked at him questioningly as he placed his order. Orihime chose some grilled fish and a salad. She wasn't that hungry.
Ichigo appeared to notice her questioning glance as he ordered.
`I don't get to eat much junk food,' he explained, shrugging. `Karin insists we eat properly at home. She's so responsible for a kid her age. When I go out, I eat junk food. It tastes good.'
Orihime smiled at Ichigo. It was nice he'd answered her unasked question. As they waited for the food to arrive they discussed the science project. It wasn't her topic of choice, but it kept the conversation going and gave her time to plan her next actions. They would eat and then go to her place. Should they work on the science project? They'd already worked on it twice and she wanted a break.
Their meals arrived and Orihime was unprepared for the size of Ichigo's meal. As he dedicated himself to stuffing his face Orihime played with her salad.
`I hope that isn't too much food for Ichigo,' she thought. `I really don't want him to fall asleep again. Maybe we could just talk tonight. If I could understand more about Ichigo, his needs, his desires, I might gain an insight into how I could make him fall in love with me. Or if we could relax together I might learn more about him.' As she thought over her recent conversations with Ichigo she remembered that he had not answered her questions about love. Was he in love with someone else? Did the person love him in return? The fact that he had not answered those questions and had not turned around when she asked them, seemed to indicate that he was in love, but not with Orihime.
The thought was not one she wanted to contemplate. She pushed her plate away, her appetite vanishing as her dread rose. Ichigo didn't notice, so intent was he on his meal. Why hadn't she thought of this before! Okay she had been distracted but that was no excuse. She quickly thought about who might be the object of Ichigo's love.
At one time she thought Ichigo liked Tatsuki, but he just treated her as a friend since they returned from Soul Society. She quickly pictured the rest of her female classmates. Ichigo had shown no preference for spending any time with them. Since they returned he'd spent most of his time with Chad, Uryu and her. Of course he spent time with Mizuiro and Keigo. It was hard to ignore Keigo when he chose to be annoying. She steeled herself for her next thought. Could he be in love with one of them? The thought worried her as she had never pictured Ichigo as anything other than heterosexual. Why would she as she was in love with him? His behaviour to the males had been basically the same, except he was a little nicer to Uryu, but nothing overtly sexual. Maybe he was sorry for the ex-Quincy. No, Ichigo was not in love with Uryu.
Logically that meant he might be in love with someone in Soul Society. Before she could follow that thought, she realised Ichigo was asking her a question. She had been so distracted by her thoughts, she had not heard him.
`Sorry Ichigo,' she said, flustered. `I was thinking about, thinking about the, thinking about the science project.' Not the fastest recovery.
`I just wanted to know if I could finish your meal? You've only eaten some of the salad and I'm still hungry,' Ichigo stated as he looked at the untouched fish.
Orihime glanced at Ichigo's plate. The only things remaining on the plate, aside from the utensils, were some very bare fish bones.
`Of course you can have the fish. I'm sorry. I'm not very hungry today,' she replied truthfully. She'd never felt less like eating.
`Why do I lie to myself so often', she thought despondently as she watched Ichigo eat her fish. `I know who Ichigo loves and who loves him. Trying to hide from the truth won't make it vanish. I don't even know why I pretended not to know. Why did we go to Soul Society? Why did Ichigo put his life at risk like that? I've heard him say that he had to repay Rukia for saving his life and letting him save his family. He felt responsible for her arrest and possible execution. But to go to such lengths to save her? To put his life at risk so often and so stupidly? I mean I wanted to save Rukia but I didn't want to get hurt or see others hurt. Uryu and Chad helped and they tried really hard, but Ichigo seemed so intense in his desire to save Rukia. It's obvious to everyone but me that Rukia and Ichigo are in love with each other.' Mentally she slapped herself. She couldn't do it in reality because Ichigo would notice, but she felt like inflicting real pain on herself for her stupidity.
She waited while Ichigo ordered and ate dessert, her heart feeling heavy. `How can I compete with Rukia? She's so cute, but then she's not here. Why didn't she come back with Ichigo? Why stay is Seireitei? She can't see Ichigo. Did they fight? Does she know Ichigo loves her and does Ichigo know Rukia loves him? Ichigo can be pretty clueless about these things and Rukia had other things to worry about. Maybe she stayed because she thought he didn't love her. He wouldn't tell her. I wish I knew,' she thought.
Ichigo had now finished his dessert and was looking at her, expectantly.
`Sorry Ichigo,' Orihime said. She kept apologising. Why couldn't she pay attention?
`I asked if you were ready to go. We can pay the bill on the way out,' he said looking at her questioningly. `Are you okay? You're acting strange. You don't seem to be listening.'
`Oh, no. I'm fine. I have a song stuck in my head,' Orihime improvised. `You know what it's like. Very distracting.'
`Which song?' Ichigo asked.
Orihime wasn't prepared for that question. `Um, I don't remember its name,' she said. Desperately she tried to think. If she was really unlucky he'd ask her to sing some of the song so he could tell her the name. Why did she come up with such a stupid excuse?
He waited until they had paid the bill and walked outside. `Can you remember the name? If you sing a bit of it I might recognise it.'
Orihime had thought of a song that had plagued her thoughts for days a few years ago, but it was a really bad choice. She'd quickly tried to think of another song, but had no luck. She couldn't remember the title, so it wasn't a complete lie. The other problem was she could only remember part of the song. In her mind she kicked herself in the shins.
`I'd prefer not to sing it, Ichigo,' she replied.
`Sing it softly. I'm curious,' he said looking into her eyes. She capitulated at once.
`Call me wet trampoline she said today,
I was too busy with my head,
Shake well for you she said,
You never touch me anymore,'
Orihime sang softly as she walked beside Ichigo. Why did it have to be that song she remembered?
`What? Are they really the words?' Ichigo started laughing. `Try and remember the rest. Are they as random?' He laughed again, shaking his head. `Can't help you with the title. I've never heard the words or the tune before.'
Orihime suddenly remembered the title. `It's Dirty Epic by Underworld,' she said quickly. `I've got the CD at home, if you want to borrow it.' She stopped talking as she remembered the rest of the lyrics. She turned her face so Ichigo would not see her blushing. They didn't make much sense, but some of it was a bit embarrassing.
`Thanks. I will,' Ichigo replied.
Orihime didn't want to talk about the song anymore. `Do you like being home?' she asked quickly.
`It's good to see my family. I missed them while we were in Soul Society. Don't really feel rested after our `vacation', though,' Ichigo paused. `I sort of miss Soul Society. It was exciting. I don't remember being bored while I was there. Didn't have to do school work, either. People treated me with respect in Soul Society, eventually, once we saved Rukia. It was as if they saw me as an equal. Didn't enjoy the pain and I don't want to fight Zaraki again. That guy's a maniac.'
`He was very nice to me. I liked Zaraki, once I stopped being scared of him,' Orihime commented.
`Of course he was nice to you, Orihime. You weren't a threat or a challenge and you tried to help him. Yachiru liked you which may have influenced Zaraki,' Ichigo said.
They had arrived at her home.
As they walked up the stairs and went into her room Orihime thought `Ichigo is not completely clueless. Maybe he is only clueless about himself and how other people see him. He was pretty perceptive about Zaraki.'
She looked at the clock. They had arrived at her house a little later than the previous night. That was only to be expected. Buffets were faster than waiting for food to be prepared and served.
She didn't want to work on the science project. She still felt disturbed by her thoughts in the restaurant. Orihime felt like relaxing.
`Ichigo,' she said. He was already seated at the table and removing his books from his bad to start work
`Yes, Orihime,' he replied continuing to unpack.
“Would you mind if we didn't work on the project tonight? We have another week to finish it. We could listen to some music or talk, or just drink tea. I'm pretty tired and don't think I can concentrate,' she said, looking at Ichigo. He started to repack his bag. Orihime thought he was preparing to leave. Her heart became even heavier.
`I'd like that,' Ichigo said surprising Orihime. `I'd like to listen to some music, especially that song you were thinking about earlier. I've been working hard trying to catch up with school work. Hollows keep interrupting my sleep and study. I'd just like to forget about everything for a while. Where do you keep your CD's?'
`Over there', Orihime pointed to her collection.
Ichigo picked up the top CD. `I haven't heard this one, yet. It's pretty new.'
`I'll put it on. It's not bad and it's not mine. Tatsuki loaned it to me as she said she's played it to death and her parents threatened to throw it out if they heard it again. They claim they can hear it even when she listens through her headphones,' Orihime laughed. `Her parents can be pretty strict, but they've been good to me. She's a good friend.'
They didn't talk much except about the music, criticising each others taste talking about why they liked a particular song. Orihime learnt much about Ichigo's musical tastes. They took turns to choose the CD's. Orihime thought of mentioning Soul Society again, but didn't. She needed a little more time to accept her earlier revelation and talking about Soul Society might just make it more difficult.
`Oi, Orihime, I haven't heard that one you had stuck in your head earlier. Where is it?' Ichigo asked.
`I must have put it somewhere else. I'll just look for it. Thanks for not insisting we work tonight,' she replied.
`It's okay,' Ichigo said as she went to find the CD `I hate science projects.'
At the sound of the trigger phrase, Orihime quickly turned to face Ichigo, the CD she was looking for clutched in her hand. He was grinning at her, but she knew that time was passing quickly. There remained about an hour left before the 4 hours was up. She was sad as she was really enjoying their time together.
As they listened to the song, the first time, Ichigo kept asking Orihime what the lyrics were. She tried to talk over the song so he could not hear all the words. `
`Can we listen to it again? I want to hear all the lyrics,' Ichigo asked.
`I'd rather not,' Orihime began and then looked at Ichigo. Looking at him made her change her mind. She was such a sucker for his scary face. `Okay, we'll listen to it again.'
The listened to it until Ichigo thought he had worked out all the lyrics. Orihime was beginning to get very fed up with the song by then. Why hadn't she thought of another song, any song?
`You had that song stuck in your head? I'd hate that. If you found yourself accidentally singing the words people might think you were touched,' he said once he had worked out the lyrics.
`Yeah. I had it stuck in my head a few years ago, also. Tatsuki heard me singing it and wanted to take me to the doctor. She caught the bit I sang to you earlier. She finally understood after I played the song to her. Then she started to loan me CDs,' Orihime explained.
She knew that time was limited and gathered up her courage. `Do you miss anyone from Soul Society, Ichigo?' she asked.
`I miss that moron, Renji. We fought a number of times and almost became friends,' Ichigo replied, then paused.
It wasn't the answer she expected.
`I miss a number of people, I suppose. I haven't seen much of Yoruichi since we came home. I miss her constant nagging to try harder. It's a sort of good miss but she knows a lot and tries to help,' Ichigo paused again.
This was getting her nowhere. She felt like asking about Rukia. She really wanted to ask about Rukia. Why didn't he mention Rukia? Orihime frowned.
At that moment, Ichigo glanced at Orihime and saw her frown.
“Are you alright?' he sounded concerned. `Maybe you need something to eat. You didn't eat much dinner and I wouldn't mind a snack,' Ichigo said.
Pleased to be given an out, Orihime quickly fetched some tea and Pocky. They sipped and ate quietly while Orihime wondered if she should try to raise the subject of Rukia again.
`Ichigo, do you miss……' she began only to be cut off by his Shinigami battle license alerting him to a hollow being present.
`Sorry, Orihime, but I've got to go. This was more fun than working on the science project,' Ichigo let himself out, leaving Orihime with her thoughts.
Was it a failure? She'd learnt a bit, but not enough. Would she bother to repeat? She felt as if tonight had strengthened her friendship with Ichigo. Maybe it was enough, something she could build on. Maybe it was time to stop.
Exit 1

Dirty Epic is a real song. The words are pretty random.
You may think by this time Orihime should know who Ichigo loves etc, or even if he is in love since she's so intuitive about him. Maybe she didn't realise earlier because of food additives. In the manga and anime it is not explicitly stated if Ichigo and Rukia are in love. Okay, maybe it's implied (is it?), but not with pointy arrows, declarations, love hearts, chocolates, kisses, etc.
For the purposes of this story Ichigo and Rukia might be in love (or not). Orihime only accepts the possibility of their love now. She'll just have to try harder if she decides to compete.