Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Orihime's Groundhog Day ❯ Third Attepmt ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I wrote Exit 1 at the end of the last chapter. At the time I did not believe I would write another chapter.
 
If you want to believe that Orihime did not make another attempt, then here is the ending to the previous chapter. Final sentence: She happily built on the better relationship she had established in the last repeat and began to forge stronger, lasting bonds with Ichigo.
 
If you want to read ahead: Warning: OOC and folly lie ahead. This story leaves commonsense behind.
 
Third Attempt
As she waited for the final minutes of the 4 hours to end, Orihime was certain that she would not repeat. It was an impossible task to make anyone fall in love with you in 4 hours. Why had she even thought it was possible? Desperation was a dangerous emotion. It had started this whole mess and desperation might keep it going.
Making Ichigo fall in love with her had been secondary to regaining his friendship. She was now certain that her friendship would be even stronger if the last 4 hours were accepted, but underneath it all she did not feel satisfied.
Her understanding of the possible relationship between Ichigo and Rukia had shaken her more than she would have believed. She did not know if her surmise was correct, but she feared so. If she wanted to continue she would need to compete against Rukia. Her task would be so much harder. She didn't want to compete, especially against someone she respected and liked as much as Rukia. Sometimes she thought Rukia epitomised everything she wanted to be, strong, confident, and clever. Even if she stopped repeating there would be that competition, even if Rukia never returned.
4 hours was just too short. 4 days might help her, but that was not possible, was it? She tried to remember the rules Jidanbo had told her about time, but with all the other distracting thoughts going through her mind it was impossible to recall their conversation.
She couldn't face trying to do the science project, again. It would have to be completed but not this time. She wanted to have some fun. Spending time with Ichigo was fun and listening to the music together had been wonderful, if only she hadn't been so distracted and unhappy. She had tried to feel happy but the thought of Ichigo and Rukia being in love had kept returning and plunging her into further desperate thoughts. She had maintained her usual happy appearance and she did not think that Ichigo had noticed. While she was pleased that she had spent the time with him, she regretted that she had been too distracted to enjoy it fully.
If fate accepted the change she would be closer to Ichigo, but it was not enough. She wanted one time with him where she again took control of the situation and had some fun. She shook her head. What sort of fun did she want? She thought and then remembered something she had really enjoyed. It would really make her happy, but would Ichigo agree? Somehow she doubted it. Would she insist? She had managed to persuade him to eat in different places and not to work on the science project. Could she persuade him to do this?
The charm warmed in her hand. Fate had accepted the change. Orihime smiled. She didn't care if the next repeat worked, she really didn't want it to. At least she knew if this attempt failed she would have a new bond with Ichigo over music.
Quickly Orihime invoked the charm again: `Kurikaesu. Repeat'
********************************************************** **************
She felt the same strange sensation as though she was being pulled backwards. It was only for a moment and then she was walking down the street with Ichigo.
`Let's eat here,' said Ichigo as they passed a burger chain.
`Are you really very hungry, Ichigo?' Orihime asked. She already knew the answer, but it was best to pretend.
 
`Yeah. I missed lunch today. I really would like a good meal as it help's me study,' he replied, looking with longing at the posters on the window.
 
“I have an idea. It's not too far from here. They sell all sorts of food and I have a discount from last time I was there,' Orihime suggested.
 
“Um, can you give a little more information? How far? Is the food any good?' Ichigo questioned.
 
“It's only a block away,' Orihime responded. Ichigo seemed a little strange. He hadn't asked questions like this previously. Maybe he was just hungry. Well she knew he was from past experience.
 
She led the way down a side street into what appeared to be a hotel or an office block. As he hesitated outside, Orihime, greatly daring, grabbed his arm and pulled him into the foyer of the building and pressed the button for the lift.
 
Ichigo hesitated, uncertain.
 
`Orihime, what is this place?' he asked, looking around furtively. `It's not, it's not,' he seemed embarrassed, shy but with a slight air of excitement,' It's not one of those hotels, is it?'
 
Orihime looked at Ichigo. Hotels, what hotels? She didn't have enough money to eat in a hotel.
 
`Look, I'm flattered and I like you very much Orihime. I just don't think that it would be a good idea,' Ichigo was frowning now.
 
Orihime was confused. What was Ichigo talking about? Then suddenly it dawned on her.
 
`No, Ichigo. It's not one of `those' hotels. Where would I get the money? Actually though it's not a bad idea. I might use that next time,' she stopped and then realised she said those words aloud. `Just trust me, Ichigo. I think we need some fun and we have a week until the project is due.
 
The lift had arrived. Again Ichigo hesitated. Again breaking her normal behaviour patterns, Orihime grabbed his hand and pulled him into the lift just as the doors were closing. She let go as soon as he was inside
 
`What do you mean by next time?' he asked. His frown had deepened. He did not look happy and he moved to the other side of the lift.
 
This was not going well.
 
`Did I say that?' Orihime replied. I have no idea what I meant. Relax Ichigo. This is going to be fun. If you don't like it, we'll leave after we've eaten. She hated lying, especially to Ichigo. It seemed that using the charm created situations where she felt she needed to lie.
 
Ichigo relaxed a little. The lift doors opened. As soon as they exited the lift, Ichigo's frown returned. If she didn't know better, Orihime would have believed he was scared. But how could anyone be scare of a….
 
`Not a Karaoke Bar! No way. I'm going home, Orihime. We'll work on the project later. There's no way in hell I'm walking into one of these place,' Ichigo exclaimed. `The hotel would have been a better choice' he mumbled, hoping she wouldn't hear him.
 
For once Orihime was deaf to Ichigo's protests. `I promise we'll leave after eating. I just find it fun listening to people massacre songs. Some of the singers are really good and some are just funny.'
 
`No, Orihime. I won't do it,' Ichigo insisted. He started to walk away, slowly as if he expected her to follow him.
 
`Now what do I do,' Orihime asked herself. `He is determined not to go in. Maybe it's best if he does go home. I'll just have most of the 4 hours by myself.'
 
`Okay, Ichigo. I'll see you later. I didn't know you were scared of Karaoke Bars,' she said quietly.
 
Ichigo turned to her. `I'm not scared of Karaoke Bars,' he said defensively. `I've just heard about them and I'm not interested. Aren't you a little young, anyway?'
 
`This one caters for teens,' Orihime responded. `You don't have to sing,' she said kindly, guessing Ichigo's real reason for not wishing to go into the Karaoke Bar.
 
Ichigo flushed. `I'm not worried about that,' he said through gritted teeth. It was obvious to Orihime, the floors, ceiling, walls, lift, any passers by, hollows and ghosts that Ichigo was telling a lie.
 
'It's okay, Ichigo. I'll go by myself. See you tomorrow,' Orihime turned to enter the bar.
 
`I don't think it's a good idea if you go by yourself,' Ichigo said. `Do you come here by yourself, normally?'
 
`No, I usually come with a friend. If you're worried about me then come with me to protect me,' Orihime laughed at the expression on Ichigo's face. `Half an hour. We'll eat and then go and do the science project. You know seeing we can choose the topic we could base it on something here. I know we already chose one, but we can change it if we can obtain the teacher's permission. Think of it as research.' That reasoning sounded good to Orihime.
 
`I didn't think Karaoke bars sold food. I thought it was just drink and singing,' Ichigo said wavering, thinking he'd found another excuse.
 
`I told you, this one caters for teens. They sell a wide variety of junk food and it's not too expensive. I've eaten here before and the servings are large.' Orihime played her trump card.
 
Ichigo sighed. He knew he was losing the argument and didn't know why. Orihime usually did not object to his suggestions. She was usually so compliant. He could go home, but now he was here, if he didn't have to sing….
 
It would be something to irritate Keigo. Not that he intended to irritate Keigo, did he? Keigo would demand to know why he wasn't included if he heard Ichigo and Orihime went to a Karaoke bar for science project research. He might even cry like a baby, as usual, and he owed Keigo for ruining his lunch. It might even make the science project interesting. Besides he was really hungry.
 
`Okay,' he sighed. `Half an hour only. I'll be watching the time. The food better be good.'
 
They entered the bar. As it was so early there were not many patrons and they were quickly seated. Ichigo looked at the menu and found there was enough junk food featured to keep him happy. They ordered and were served quickly. The person who had the mike when they entered was doing a very bad Elvis impersonation singing `Jailhouse Rock'.
 
Ichigo was surprised. “Can she hear herself?' he wondered aloud after he swallowed a bite of his hamburger deluxe served with chips, onion rings, salad and a side order of hash browns.
 
`Filtering. It happens to a lot of people who sing Karaoke. They think they are as good as the original because they hear the original in their head as they sing. They filter out their own voice. She's not the worst I've heard,' Orihime informed him. `You must have seen American Idol. A lot of the hopefuls can't hear themselves. They think they are better than the original singers. Strange phenomenon.'
 
Another singer took the mike after the previous singer finished to very sporadic applause. Ichigo looked at the teen with little hope.
 
`I wish I had some earplugs,' he mourned.
 
`You can't wear earplugs in a Karaoke Bar. It's rude. Anyway it would start a dangerous trend. Really bad singers might get applause because no one could hear them,' Orihime laughed. `It would only encourage them.'
 
The next singer, a teenage boy chose My Way. The Sex Pistols version.
 
`Are you sure there's not a law against this?' Ichigo groaned. He tried to cover his ears but quickly stopped as he saw Orihime look at him.
 
`There isn't a law against singing. The gaols would be full. Karaoke bars would go out of business. The music industry would crumble as would the television industry. It would be the end of civilization as we know it,' Orihime joked. Ichigo was shaking his head amused at her comments.
 
`I think I might try next,' Orihime said. She had planned to sing when she first thought of this repeat.
 
Ichigo looked at her surprised. “Do you sing? Oh, of course, I suppose I should have realised when you brought me here. If you're as bad as this guy, I'm leaving.'
 
`I'm not too bad. I don't filter. Nor do I choose songs I can't sing. This guy could probably have handled the original version better,' she commented.
 
After the singer bowed to the lack of applause, Orihime took the mike. She had considered the song she would sing. Nothing overly romantic. Originally she had thought of singing `Can't Get You Out of My Head' but decided it was too close to the truth. She chose `Survivor' by Destiny's Child.
 
She noticed Ichigo looking nervously toward the door as she commenced singing. Once she finished the first couple of words, he turned to look at her, his surprise evident. The other patrons quietened as she continued singing. When she finished it was to a very healthy round of applause. As Orihime had said she did not filter, and she was careful to choose songs she could sing.
 
As she returned to the table she saw Ichigo watching her.
 
`Orihime. I didn't know,' Ichigo began.
 
`Why would you? It's okay. I just find Karaoke fun, singing, even listening to the bad singers. You should try it,' she replied.
 
`You said I didn't have to sing. That was the deal,' Ichigo's face was clouded by the scowl that was forming.
 
`Yes, I know. But I would like to sing one more song before we go. I don't want to sing one after another,' she explained. `You have to let other people have a chance.'
 
Another hopeful had taken the mike, not even slightly daunted by Orihime's performance. The strangled notes of another song came over the PA. Ichigo winced.
 
While the singer performed Ichigo and Orihime finished their meal. Orihime was considering her next song. Just one more and then she would keep her bargain with Ichigo and they would go and work on the science project. Her idea was working. She was feeling much happier. She didn't know Ichigo was so sensitive to bad singing.
 
What song would be best? She decided on `Favourite Game' (The Cardigans) as she liked the beat of the song.
 
As she sang, she noticed Ichigo watching her with great attention. His foot was tapping in time to the music. The bar was gradually filling up and her audience was very appreciative when she finished.
 
`You're good, Orihime. I am surprised that you have the ability to do that. It must take courage,' Ichigo said admiringly.
 
`The first time I was so nervous, I almost dropped the mike. Well, I did drop it, but caught it just before it hit the ground. People clapped when they saw me catch it, so I just started to smile and then I sang. No one booed,' she explained.
 
`No, they wouldn't. Was Tatsuki with you at the time?' he asked.
 
Orihime nodded.
 
`Good thing no one was rude then. She might have beaten them up,' Ichigo laughed.
 
He had relaxed and wasn't eyeing the door which longing. Ichigo appeared to be better able to ignore the singer who was singing a popular Japanese hit. The girl who was singing wasn't bad, but she wasn't as good as Orihime. They listened as she was followed by a middle aged man who sang `The Logical Song' surprisingly well. They listened to the next few songs and commented on the number of people who seemed to be filtering. The original half hour had expired long ago. Orihime was enjoying herself. Ichigo became intent on the method of filtering.
 
`You know you might like singing Karaoke, if you tried it. If you don't conquer your fear, your fear will conquer you,' Orihime said.
 
Ichigo looked at her as he scratched the back of his head. He started to frown. `I told you I'm not scared of singing in public.'
 
`Face your fear, Ichigo. Isn't that what you've learnt from Zangetsu and being a Shinigami? Fear eventually destroys you. Anyway it might teach you more about filtering,' she looked at Ichigo who was shaking his head.
 
`Okay, I'll prove I'm not scared,' the last singer was finishing. Ichigo stood up (obviously affected by the additives in the food). After a quick discussion with the person organising the Karaoke, which did not involve anyone getting hurt, Ichigo had the mike. He started to sing a song titled `My Blade as my Pride'.
 
Orihime immediately regretted encouraging Ichigo to sing. The original person who sang the song was quite good, but Ichigo had trouble identifying the tune. He was dreadful! Orihime blushed, feeling embarrassed on his behalf. She had a bad feeling that Ichigo was filtering. He seemed to be enjoying himself. (Blast those additives).
 
A disturbance distracted her. A large shape hurtled onto the stage and pulled the microphone from Ichigo's hand.
 
`Let me show you how good your old man is, idiot,' bellowed Isshin. `By the way, I ban you from singing in the shower again. You couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.'
 
Isshin quickly changed the song and started to loudly sing `Stairway to Heaven', all of `Stairway to Heaven', not the edited version. While he was pretty bad, he sounded good compared to Ichigo. He was deaf to the protests of the people waiting for their turn and just sang louder. The manager approached, but quailed as Isshin glared at him.
 
Meanwhile Karin and Yuzu had asked if they could join Orihime at her table. Ichigo came back to the table, shocked and staggering slightly.
 
`What the hell are you doing here,' he demanded from Karin and Yuzu. `I didn't know you went to these places.'
 
`This is the first time, said Karin. `We knew you weren't coming home. We thought it might be fun and daddy insisted. Why are you here? You swore after the incident at the party you would never have anything to do with Karaoke again. That's why we waited for a night when you weren't home. Anyway, Yuzu wanted to try. So why are you here?' she asked again.
 
As Orihime looked at Ichigo's gawping face she quickly answered on his behalf. `We are studying the effects of filtering on human subjects. It's part of a science project. We are doing the research now and then we will write up our findings.'
 
As she spoke Orihime vaguely wondered about the incident Karin mentioned. It might explain Ichigo's reluctance to enter the Karaoke bar. She tried to decide whether it was important. Probably not, but it might be interesting.
 
Isshin was still singing. The waiter came over bearing a tray with drinks for Orihime's table.
 
`We didn't order those,' Ichigo said worried immediately that someone was taking revenge for his father's singing.
 
`The gentleman over there sent them in appreciation of the young lady's singing,' the waiter replied.
 
Orihime looked in the direction the waiter indicated. A middle aged man was smiling at her. `Should I accept,' she wondered, but she had already accepted by not refusing immediately. She picked up a drink at random and toasted the man. He smiled in response. She looked at Ichigo and noticed he did not seem very happy.
 
`What's wrong Ichigo?' she asked.
 
`I don't like the idea of strange men sending you drinks,' he said scowling.
 
Orihime's heart thumped. Was Ichigo jealous? Could it be possible?
 
“And you shouldn't toast them, either. It might give them the wrong impression,' he continued.
 
`Why are you so jealous, Ichigo? Is she you're girlfriend?' Yuzu asked excitedly. `Karin, Ichigo's got a girlfriend!'
 
Orihime blushed. She opened her mouth trying to think of an explanation, but Ichigo was already responding.
 
`No, she is not my girlfriend. She's a friend. I don't like to see friend's making mistakes that could hurt them later,' he said.
 
`Being overprotective as usual,' Karin commented.
 
Orihime's heart slowed. That was the most likely explanation. She felt a little disappointed, especially by the vehemence of Ichigo's denial of their possible relationship.
 
They were silent as Isshin came to end of the song.
 
`I hope he doesn't decide on an encore,' Ichigo muttered. `There might be a riot if he does.'
 
“Don't worry, he has more sense than that, I think,' Yuzu replied. `I think he just became a little overexcited when he heard you singing. You know the effect your singing has on him.'
 
Karin nodded in agreement. `He's coming back. Remember to congratulate him, Ichigo.'
 
`Not if I don't want to,' Ichigo said sulkily.
 
`Boy, what are you doing here,' boomed Isshin as he returned to the table.
 
`They're doing a science project, dad,' Karin said.
 
`I like your science partner,' said Isshin to Ichigo as he looked at Orihime. His eyes lit up and he smiled widely. `Is she you're girlfriend? It's about time. You have good taste.'
 
`You're very pretty. I'm Isshin Kurosaki,' Isshin said to Orihime.
 
Predictably Orihime blushed at his gaze and comments. `I'm Orihime Inoue,' she said.
 
`She is not my girlfriend!' Ichigo said through clenched teeth. `We are working on a science project. We are doing research here, not just having fun. I hate science projects.'
 
Orihime looked at Ichigo. The trigger phrase. About an hour to go before the 4 hours were up and less than that before the Shinigami licence alerted Ichigo to the hollow.
 
`So, you're not on a date?' Isshin looked very disappointed. `I thought you had finally learnt the importance of romance in High School. You should reconsider. I think she might become your girlfriend if she doesn't mind the way you look. She mustn't hate you; otherwise she would have run when you started singing. I'm surprised there wasn't a stampede.'
 
Ichigo was losing his temper. He was scowling and blushing at the same time.
 
`I think we've done enough research Orihime,' Ichigo grated. `Maybe we should go and record the observations while we they are still fresh in our minds. I'll see you later Karin and Yuzu.' He pointedly ignored his father. As the left, Orihime remembered that they had not paid the bill and mentioned it to Ichigo.
 
`Let the old man take care of it. He deserves to pay for it for what he said.' As he finished his comment they left the building and started walking to Orihime's house, in silence. Both were lost in their own thoughts.
 
As they neared her home Ichigo said, `I hope he didn't embarrass you too much, Orihime. I know I should be used to it, but I'm not. Ignore what he said. It doesn't mean anything. He wants to vicariously experience my love life, not that I have one, because he has none of his own. My sisters are young and read too much shojo manga. They look for romance everywhere.'
 
`I don't mind Ichigo. It must be lovely to have a family who care about you and everything you do. I wish…' she stopped speaking suddenly overwhelmed by the memories of her brother and all she had lost with his death.
 
Ichigo noticed her introspection, stopped walking and took her by the shoulders. `I'm sorry Orihime.' he said seriously. Here I am complaining about my father and you have no one. You still miss your brother, don't you?'
 
His kindness triggered something in Orihime. She tried to resist but the emotion was too strong and she started to cry. She covered her face with her hands and sobbed. She hadn't felt this sad for so long. Her longing for her brother overwhelmed her.
 
`Let's get inside, Orihime,' Ichigo said. He led her up the steps, found her key and opened the door.
 
After he closed the door, Orihime lost the little restraint she had left and leant against his shoulder, sobbing. She wanted to feel close to someone. She felt so isolated. She missed the closeness with her brother and the hugs they had shared. Ichigo clumsily patted her on her back as she cried.
 
`I hate seeing women cry,' Ichigo observed as Orihime sobbed. `Karin rarely cries, but when Yuzu does, it's usually on my shoulder or Karin's. I never know what to do. I'm not good at this.'
 
`Orihime, believe me. The pain will get less in time. It will never completely disappear, but it does diminish. At least Kakei's no longer a Hollow. He's probably having a good life in Soul Society.' He paused.
 
Ichigo's words enabled Orihime some control and her sobs eased.
 
`Are you feeling better?' Ichigo asked.
 
Orihime realised what she was doing and quickly pulled away from Ichigo. She wiped her eyes.
 
`I'm so sorry Ichigo. I didn't' mean to… I'm really sorry. I just remembered what it was like to have someone who cared for me and he's gone,' she said trying to control a fresh onslaught of tears.
 
`I think I understand,' Ichigo said sincerely.
 
Orihime noticed that the front of his shirt bore the traces of her tears. Orihime quickly retrieved a towel and handed it to Ichigo. He looked surprised and then looked down and saw the front of his shirt. He started rubbing the dampness with the towel.
 
`Don't worry about it,' he said and he dried his shirt. `Feeling a little better now?'
 
Orihime nodded, not trusting herself to speak. The tears were standing in her eyes, ready to fall. She didn't want to cry in front of Ichigo again.
 
The Shinigami battle license lit up and made its usual clamour, alerting Ichigo to a hollow being present. He seemed reluctant to leave.
 
`I have to go Orihime. Will you be okay?' Ichigo asked.
 
She nodded.
 
`I'll see you tomorrow,' Ichigo said. He left, closing the door behind him.
 
After he left Orihime let the unshed tears fall. This wasn't working out the way she had hoped.
 
Author's note:
Thanks to Cartoonpen for your suggestion that Isshin, Yuzu and Karin turn up in the Karaoke bar. I especially loved your idea of Isshin singing `Stairway to Heaven'. That is one of the funniest things in the story.
 
The song Ichigo sings at the Karaoke Bar `My Blade as My Pride' is from the Bleach Beat Collection 1. This song is sung by Ichigo on the CD.
 
Please read and review.