Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Orihime's Groundhog Day ❯ Fifth Attempt ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tite Kubo owns Beach. I've respectfully borrowed some of the characters.
I do own the charm and one of the characters in this story.
 
I hope you like this chapter. It explains one thing you may have been wondering about.
 
 
Fifth Attempt
 
As Orihime laughed she wondered if she heard a slight touch of hysteria in her laughter. The repeat had been absurd, but she was pleased, in a peculiar way, to have the experience. Maybe she should repeat and spill the bleach on Ichigo. What would happen? She laughed at the thought. She could not imagine stripping him of his clothes, well she could. Knowing Ichigo, he'd probably take control of the situation and she wouldn't have the opportunity to do anything. It would be a waste of a repeat.
 
Gradually the laughter became giggles. Orihime rubbed the laughter tears from her eyes. It was a relief to laugh. Laughter was something she missed. Kakei always tried to make her laugh. He'd make silly faces at her when she was sad, or he'd pretend to forget who she was. Then he'd ask her tell him all about their life together, and he'd keep interrupting with silly questions. It probably wasn't very funny to anyone else, but it had been funny to her. She shook her head. She didn't want to think about Kakei right now.
 
Ichigo had told her he cared about her. Not in so many words. It was implied. He'd said he was worried about her; that he didn't like to see her hurt. Ichigo had told her that he thought she was nice. Nice wasn't as good as `great', or `hot' or a number of other words she could think of, but it was a start.
 
She was not deluding herself about that look in his eyes, was she? There was definitely interest shown just before he ran out of the bathroom. Why did he have so many scruples? At least she had some indication that he found her attractive.
 
The question of Rukia returned to her mind. `Did Ichigo love her? Why am I even thinking that? It doesn't matter. Given time I'm sure I can gain Ichigo's affection, maybe even his love. I've established that he cares. I can build on that.'
 
Orihime was suddenly shocked at the way her thoughts were progressing. Was this the influence of the charm; to dismiss any possible competition as being a matter of no importance?
 
Again wild speculation and unrelated thoughts were distracting her from her decision. The decision had been made for her. If fate accepted the change she would repeat. Even though she had enjoyed the events, she knew it would take Ichigo too long to recover. Briefly she wondered if part of the embarrassment was caused because Ichigo had removed some of her clothing; or was it because he had examined her so closely; or was it because he was attracted to her? It was not possible to guess.
 
This repeat. What should they do this time? The revulsion she felt toward the science project had increased. Since invoking the charm she had refused to work on the science project once: the time they had listened to music.
 
`The Karaoke bar counts as working on the project,' Orihime assured herself, trying to ignore the voice of her conscience. `We were undertaking scientific research. Maybe we were distracted along the way, but it still counts.'
 
She wrestled with her conscience for a few minutes. She imagined her good side and bad side in a heated battle using lasers, cushions, grenades, cannon, swords, saucepans and toothpicks as they fought to determine if she would work on the science project. For some moments it looked like good would win. Orihime could not let that happen. She quickly armed her bad side with a thermo-nuclear device and good was quickly defeated.
 
`I'm glad they managed to work it out,' she thought. `I was worried there for a moment, but as my bad side won, I definitely won't work on the science project.'
 
Another thought travelled over the synapses of her brain. `Why do we waste so much time eating out in the repeats? Why can't we eat here? I don't want to cook, it would take up too much time, but maybe we could order take away and bring it here. That way I'll manage to spend more time alone with Ichigo. I know the seafood restaurant does take away.'
 
Her plans made, Orihime checked the time. Only a minute to go.
 
`But what will we do after we've eaten? Not the science project, but what can I suggest, this time?' She was in a quandary. `I'll have to improvise.'
 
The charm turned warm in her hand. Fate had accepted the change. The decision had been made on her behalf.
 
With a touch of regret she invoked the charm `Kurikaesu. Repeat.'
 
ooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo
 
Again the familiar sensation overcame her. Again she heard the trigger phrase.
 
`Let's eat here,' said Ichigo.
 
Orihime stopped walking and smiled at Ichigo.
 
`Ichigo, I have a wild idea…' the expression on his face made her pause. `Are you okay, Ichigo? You look a little strained.'
 
`You're not going to suggest we go to a Karaoke bar, are you? Because there is no way on God's earth that I'm entering one of those places in this lifetime,' Ichigo stated with conviction.
 
Orihime shut her eyes. `I don't believe he just said that,' she told herself. `Quick say something otherwise it will look suspicious.'
 
`No, why would I suggest that, Ichigo? It was the furthest thought from my mind,' she said while thinking `We've done that already. Why repeat?'
 
`I was going to suggest that instead of eating out, why don't we order take away? I've heard that the seafood restaurant does take away. It'll be quicker and we can start work on the science project that much faster. It will also be a little more relaxing,' Orihime hoped her suggestion was accepted.
 
`That's not a bad idea. Much better than a Karaoke bar. I don't even know why I thought you would suggest that. Though somehow I think I had a dream about one and Keigo was involved somehow,' he shook his head and scowled. `I don't want to talk about it.'
 
This information dismayed Orihime. Something Jidanbo told her flickered briefly at the back of her mind, but all her attempts to remember were unsuccessful. She tried to suppress the frustration at the inability to remember something that might be important. Maybe it would come to her later.
 
There was a 20 minute wait for the take away.
 
`There's a games arcade next door. Want to play a game while we wait? I hate hanging around waiting,' Ichigo suggested.
 
`Okay,' Orihime agreed. A sense of unease touched her briefly.
 
`Why does this make me worried,' she wondered as they walked into the crowded arcade. She rarely entered one of these places and never when they were this crowded.
 
Groups of people stood around the machines, some waiting to play, some watching friends, others just watching. There was the usual stale smell. It was not overpowering, just noticeable. The smell made Orihime wrinkle her nose. Ichigo appeared not to notice.
 
He walked up to a machine and tapped the tall, well muscled male who was playing it, on the shoulder. .
 
`Leave me alone. I've nearly got the high score. Wait your turn,' was the angry response. He shrugged his large shoulders and the play of muscles made his shirt bulge.
 
Ichigo said,' I've told you, you can only play this when I'm not here. Don't you remember? Or do I have to jog your memory, again.'
 
`Ichigo?' The teen stopped playing. Immediately the animated hero of the game was killed by the ninjas who surrounded him. `Damn, I nearly beat your high score.'
 
He turned around and smiled. `Hey, Ichigo. Long time no see. What you been doing? Who's the skirt? Your girlfriend?' he eyed Orihime appreciatively.
 
Orihime looked at the guy who was leering at her. His straight black hair almost reached his shoulders and his hazel eyes twinkled. He must be pretty brave if he grew his hair to that length. Orihime judged his age to be at least a year older than Ichigo.
 
`No, she's a friend. I've been busy. What about you, Daiki? Still wasting time. Grades still bad. Your old man still bugging you about your hair?' Ichigo asked grinning.
 
Daiki groaned. `Don't even ask. My old man is constantly on my back, when he's home. Keeps threatening to put me in a cram school. Don't even talk about the hair. You'd think he'd have worked out I only do it to annoy him. I suppose you want to play, eh?'
 
`Yeah, we're waiting for take-away. We're doing a science project. I hate waiting around for stuff,' Ichigo explained.
 
`Aren't you going to introduce me to this girl who is not your girlfriend?' Daiki looked at Ichigo expectantly.
 
Ichigo scratched the back of his head, frowning. `Okay. Daiki Seto meet Orihime Inoue. I met this guy back, forget when. I used to fight him for the best game machines when I spent more time here. I see no one bugs you anymore,' Ichigo noticed.
 
Daikai smiled in acknowledgement of the observation. `Yeah, since you stopped coming it's been pretty quiet. So, go on, play. I want to see if you have lost any of your skill.'
 
Ichigo started to play. Orihime looked at her watch.
 
`Should I tell him when the time's up, or wait until he's finished?' wondered Orihime. `Or maybe I will go and collect it. I don't want to walk out of here by myself. What should I do?'
 
As she watched him play Orihime realised that Ichigo must have spent a lot of time playing games, or had a special skill. He was good. He quickly advanced through the levels. Orihime looked at her watch. The take away should be ready. Daiki noticed her look at her watch.
 
`Is it time for your take away?' he asked pleasantly.
 
`Yes, but I don't want to disturb Ichigo. He seems to be enjoying himself,' replied Orihime, a touch of concern in her voice.
 
`Don't worry about it. Hope to see you again,' Daiki said.
 
He pushed Ichigo away from the machine and quickly took over.
 
`Go on. Your take-away should be ready. Come back some time when you're not busy and we'll play,' Daiki said before becoming immersed in the game.
 
After collecting the take away Ichigo and Orihime began to walk to Orihime's place.
 
Ichigo insisted on carrying the take away bags. Orihime, curious after visiting the games arcade and witnessing his apparent talent, asked Ichigo about games he liked to play.
 
`Prince of Persia's good. I know a new one's coming out soon. Soul Calibar. When I was younger I used to really like the Mario games. I suppose one of my favourites would have to be the Zelda series. I'm hoping to get enough money together to buy Twilight Princess. I hear it's good. I like the old Zelda's too; you know the 64 games. I think Ocarina of Time would have to be one of my favourites, but I haven't played it in a long time,' Ichigo spoke with great enthusiasm.
 
The last statement made Orihime realise how they could spend the evening. It would be totally unrelated to the science project and it should be fun. Thank God, an escape, and maybe a chance to think about the comment Ichigo had made at the beginning of the repeat.
 
`I like the Zelda games too, Ichigo. I used to play them with my brother. Prince of Persia is not something I think I want to play,' she commented.
 
`No, I don't suppose you would. It's not your type of game.'
 
They arrived at Orhime's house.
 
`Why don't you go and wash your hands while I set the table, Ichigo,' suggested Orihime. `It won't take long.'
 
`Okay, thanks Orihime. I'll be fast.'
 
Orihime quickly checked in a cupboard and found the item she expected. She placed it near her television and set the table.
 
Ichigo reappeared and they sat down, sharing the food. By this time Orihime had ceased to notice how much Ichigo ate. It didn't matter. As they ate they talked about other games they had played and enjoyed. Ichigo shamefacedly admitted to being hooked on Pokemon Stadium for a month when he was much younger. Orihime laughed and innocently asked f he bought the cards as well. Ichigo refused to answer the question.
 
`It's not important. Have you ever played any of the Fire Emblem games?' Ichigo queried.
 
`Oh yes. I loved The Sacred Stones,' she said and blushed.
 
`And how many of the male characters did you fall in love with? Ichigo teased, noticing her blush.
 
`Ummm,' Orihime did not want to reply.
 
`Karin has the largest crush on Seth. She keeps playing the game over and over, just so she can look at him,' Ichigo laughed.
 
Orihime smiled at Ichigo. `I know how she feels,' she confessed, her blushes increasing.
 
`So it is Seth,' Ichigo stated triumphantly.
 
`It's not Seth.' Orihime retorted. Then she decided to change the subject before Ichigo asked any more questions.
 
`After dinner, do you really want to work on the science project?' Orihime asked.
 
`That's why I'm here, isn't it? Why, what were you thinking,' he asked warily. His eyes moved toward the door as if measuring the distance.
 
`I found my old 64. My brother bought it second hand and I've kept it. Do you want to play Ocarina of Time?' Orihime's hope was reflected in her tone.
 
Ichigo relaxed but then hesitated, obviously torn between the idea of finishing work quickly, or having some fun.
 
`I've already done some work on the project. We can just add to it,' Orihime almost bit her tongue as she uttered the lie.
 
`It's not really a lie,' she assured herself. I have worked on the project a number of times.' Briefly she wondered if she was telling the truth, or just salving her conscience. Was the charm influencing her again?
 
Ichigo frowned and then smiled at Orihime.
 
`That'd be nice. But I've never played it with someone else. It's a one player game, isn't it?'
 
`Yes, but my brother and I would play it together. He hated the running around, the towns and collecting items. I wasn't keen on the fighting, especially the bosses. I like the towns and solving the puzzles. I especially liked riding Epona. So we'd share,' Orihime explained.
 
Ichigo frowned.
 
It struck Orihime that what she was suggesting to Ichigo smacked of an intimacy she was not sure was there. Sharing a game could happen between very good friends and family members. It required a great amount of co-operation and patience. They were friends, good friends, but would this work? She'd tolerated it when Kakei snatched the controller from her and he didn't complain too much when she retaliated, but how would Ichigo react? How would she react to Ichigo?
 
`Forget I even suggested it,' she said quickly as Ichigo had still not responded.
 
His frown eased. `Sorry, I was just thinking about a time when I played a 2 player game with Yuzu. She refused to speak to me for a week when I blamed her for the Game Over. Karin took her side and wouldn't talk to me. Aside from my old man, home life was very quiet. Yeah, let's share a game. I think it could work if we don't take it seriously. I mean it's only a game. It's not as if it's real life.'
 
They set up the console together. Orihime had a moment of worry when she thought that it was broken, only to realise it wasn't plugged into the power.
 
The machine hummed into life, revealing the opening screen. Ichigo took the controller and quickly moved to the `save' screen.
 
`You have a game saved in each of the slots. Do you want to use one of your previous games?' Ichigo asked
 
`No, I think we should start a new game. Overwrite the `OI' game. That was one I was playing by myself. I didn't get very far,' Orihime said.
 
Ichigo deleted the game and then asked, `So, what will we call this game. I see you normally use your initials. You want to use our initials?'
 
Orihime nodded. `Yes, why not?'
 
She watched as Ichigo typed in IKOI. It made her smile to see their initials together like that.
 
As they waited for the opening story to finish, Ichigo said `It's funny, Orihime. I feel really relaxed right now. I feel I know you better than I know Uryu or Keigo. It's almost as if we have shared some experience I can't remember.'
 
Orihime carefully did not look at Ichigo. She was scared that the surprise and fear at his comments would show on her face.
 
`Maybe it's because you're so familiar with this game that hearing the music and seeing the characters makes you feel nostalgic and comfortable, or something,' she suggested , hopefully.
 
`Yeah you may be right,' said Ichigo, stretching, the controller in his hand. `Do you want to play first? I find all the setting up a bit dull.'
 
`So did my brother,' Orihime took the offered controller and played for a while until the game demanded fighting skills.
 
`Here, Ichigo, you take over. I'm sure you can finish this dungeon pretty quickly,' Orihime said.
 
Ichigo happily took the offered controller and concentrated on the game.
 
This gave Orihime the opportunity to think about some of the things Ichigo had said. She watched Ichigo's face, not the game, while she thought, enjoying the changes in his expression.
 
`I don't understand. Jidanbo said that only I would remember the repeats. Yet Ichigo is apparently having some vague memory of some of the events. Previously they were very vague but this time he was quite specific. He mentioned the Karaoke bar, and Keigo.' Orihime closed her eyes, grasping at the vague memories. None of the rules she could bring to mind were relevant. `What was it that Jidanbo said? I wish I could remember. This is irritating,' Orihime let out a little scream of frustration.
 
Ichigo paused the game. `Hey, no need to get so excited. I know I killed the boss pretty quickly, but there's a heart just up ahead. I didn't know you'd get so immersed in the game, Orihime.' He raised an eyebrow at her. `Do you want to take over for a while? Get us to the next dungeon?'
 
Orihime shook her head. `Oh, no. You keep playing. I'm happy to watch.'
 
`I insist,' Ichigo said handing over the controller. `I need to stretch, anyway. It's funny how these games seem to have an underlying critical mass thing. Once you have enough skill, experience, health points and weapons you can basically defeat anything.' He stood and stretched, watching Orihime move through Hyrule town toward the castle.
 
`Oh, good, you found that heart piece. I'd forgotten that was there. Could you get me some money as well?' he asked, his eyes following the actions of the character on the screen.
 
Frustrated, but obliging as always, Orihime did what Ichigo asked. She handed back the controller once she was at the castle.
 
`Thanks,' said Ichigo quickly becoming immersed in the game again.
 
Something Ichigo said triggered a thought. He'd mentioned critical mass. What was it about critical mass? Of course, Jidanbo had not used that term, but she'd immediately associated the rule with critical mass.
 
She thought back to when she'd decided to use the charm in the first place. The memory of the first time they'd worked on the science project made her squirm. No, what she wanted to remember was later than that. She searched her memory to try and gain access to those thoughts. What was it? That's right. She'd remembered something about the rules then: that it could only affect a limited number of people.
 
She gasped involuntarily at her thoughts, as Ichigo dodged the last guard and finally met Zelda.
 
`Gee, you do get involved, don't you? Oh, it's that boring bit. Here, Orihime, you don't mind do you?' Ichigo handed over the controller and rubbed his hands. `I think I was holding it a little tight. I always do.'
 
Mentally grumbling, Orihime went through the `boring bit' as quickly as she could. She really wanted to concentrate on her last insight.
 
As she handed the controller back to Ichigo he commented, `I didn't know this could work out so well. You don't interrupt or tell me what to do and you really pay attention. Thanks for making this so pleasant, Orihime. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed playing this game.' He smiled at her.
 
She immediately smiled in response, while blushing at the compliment.
 
`I'm enjoying it too Ichigo. I like watching you play,' she replied.
 
As he again became engrossed in the game, the rule gradually returned to Orihime's consciousness.
 
`If more than a certain number of people (how many people? I can't remember), are affected by the repeat then the memory of the person who is the main focus of the repeat, in this case Ichigo, will gain partial memories. The more repeats, the more Ichigo will remember and if I repeat often enough Ichigo will remember everything. Oh, no,' Orihime's hands flew to her mouth in dismay. `Too many people. There were the people in the restaurants, the Karaoke bar, the supermarket, and now the arcade.'
 
She crossed her arms, hugging herself in dismay. `I've reached critical mass on the number of people involved. I'd better stop repeating. But I don't want to stop, yet. Maybe one more repeat, two at most. How much will he remember? I'll check when I repeat next time. Now it seems like a dream to him. I don't want him to remember that first time we worked on the science project when the food additives overcame me and made me act so odd. I'll also have to limit contact with people through the any more repeats,' Orihime almost felt like crying.
 
Ichigo defeated another monster and handed the controller to Orihime.
 
`You better save. I don't really want to replay that part. I hate not saving and then dying. I hate it almost as much as I hate science projects,' Ichigo said.
 
The trigger phrase. Orihime numbly saved and went through the other `boring bits' until they reached a part that interested Ichigo. She didn't mind now, because it distracted her from her disturbing thoughts.
 
Ichigo watched the progress of the game. They had been playing for quite some time. Once she arrived at a more interesting part of the game Orihime offered Ichigo the controller.
 
Watching him defeat the next minor boss she briefly wondered when ……….
 
Ichigo's Shinigami battle license alerted him to a hollow appearing. Ichigo put down the controller and stretched.
 
`I like this and it's been relaxing being with you. I don't feel like going home and putting Kon in my body. I'll leave my body and bag here, if that's okay? I shouldn't be long. I'll come back and we can continue playing,' Ichigo suggested.
 
Orihime looked at him, surprised. `He usually just runs out the door. I didn't know he went home. What should I say? Why did this change?' she thought rapidly.
 
`That sounds nice, Ichigo,' she heard her voice respond. `I'm enjoying playing the game with you.'
 
`Right. Won't be long,' Ichigo did the necessary and his body sprawled on the floor. `Take care of it for me, will you? I know I can trust you,' he said as he left through the window.
 
Orihime watched him leave, then hesitated, looking at his body. She had seen it like this only a few times before. Each time other people had been present. If she was honest she had been curious if it was still alive, or was it like an empty shell? She looked at the window to see if Ichigo had returned before moving close to his body. It looked uncomfortable. He wouldn't mind if she rearranged it, would he? Would he even notice?
 
Ignoring her qualms she touched his face. The skin felt sightly cool, but not cold. She rested her palm against his cheek, relishing the opportunity to just touch Ichigo with no consequences.
 
Her conscience returned to plague her. Orihime's bad side again joined battle with her good side using weapons from early part of the Zelda game. Good was winning when Orihime quickly armed her bad side with the fire arrows. The end was swift, for good.
 
`I really should stop doing that', she thought. `I'm sure my good side has my best interests at heart.'
 
Orihime began to rearrange Ichigo's body to make it, at least, look more comfortable. The body was on its back. It took a little while, as the body was floppy. Looking at the relaxed pose Orihime had a slightly dangerous thought.
 
`Maybe if I lie down beside him just to see what it's like.' Before she finished the thought she was lying beside Ichigo. Without further examination of her actions, Orihime cuddled up to the body, her cheek resting on the body's chest. She closed her eyes, just for a moment.
 
`What are you doing, Orihime?' asked Ichigo.
 
Startled, she sat up and looked toward the window where Ichigo was standing, blood running down his face from a wound.
 
`I've always wanted to know if the heart in your body still beats when you turn into a shinigami,' she improvised quickly, blushing.
 
`And does it?' Ichigo asked. `I never thought to check.' He quickly got into his body and sat up.
 
`Umm, it beats very slowly,' Orihime improvised again.
 
`You're hurt, Ichigo,' she said trying to change the subject. `What happened?'
 
As she asked the question she got some water and bandaids which she gave to Ichigo. He quickly cleaned the wound.
 
`There were two hollows and one was hiding. He jumped me while I was fighting the first,' Ichigo looked at Orihime, a tinge of suspicion in his eyes.
 
`I wish you'd asked before you checked out my heartbeat, Orihime. I don't really like people handling my body when I'm not around.'
 
Orihime looked at him astounded. `But you put Kon into your body!'
 
Orihime's hand went to her mouth. `What am I saying?' she thought. `Oh, no! I've made another mistake.'
 
Ichigo looked at her quizzically for a moment, frowned, and then laughed. `You're right. I object to your scientific curiosity but I let Kon take care of my body. I think you're probably a better choice. At least I won't come back and find my body is walking around trying to pick up girls or getting into fights. Sorry Orihime. It was just a shock. For a moment I thought you'd been knocked unconscious trying to protect my body. I couldn't see any signs of a struggle and I haven't been gone long. I was worried. I guess I over reacted.'
 
He looked at the television. `Is the game still running? Can we play some more?'
 
Seating himself in front of the television he resumed play.
 
Orihime was relieved. It was odd that he had accepted her explanation so quickly. Why had he? When she saw him in the room she thought it was going to end badly, again.
It was immaterial. Hopefully he would forget if she repeated.
 
A glance at her watch informed her that time was running out. Was she going to repeat? The critical mass issue made it so much more problematic. She bit her thumb.
 
Exit 2
 
Daikai Seto is my creation and will probably never appear again.
 
As you can probably guess, the number of chapters may be severely limited.
 
Please review.